Chapter 45: Dinner with Dad
261 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 45:

Dinner with Dad

Balek was happy to hear the news. Jace and Liana had finally admitted their feelings to each other. Balek had been invited over one evening to Liana's apartment for dinner. When Liana answered the door, he was received with a big, warm hug. He could feel something was different with her. He wouldn't be her father otherwise.

As he made his way in, he expected to see Kiera, but instead was met by Jace who was stirring the large pot cooking on the stove. It didn't take long for him to connect the dots. The moment he figured it out, he was overcome with emotion. Taking Jace into a bear hug as he welcomed him once more into the family.

"I-I never stopped being a part of it, right?" Jace asked, his words coming out strained from the hug.

"No, but now-" Balek was nudged sharply in the ribs by Liana, glaring up at him.

"Put him down," Liana ordered, and though her words were stern, he could see the slight smile curl her lips, "Set the table, Jace. Father, sit down and relax."

"O-Okay," Balek smiled sheepishly, setting Jace down who was quite grateful.

Sometimes, Balek forgot his own strength. From Jace confiding in him, to now this. Everything was so overwhelmingly amazing. Balek could finally feel like he was doing right by Delilah and his wife, Nadine.

For the longest time he felt like he was failing them when he wasn't able to get through to Jace. When he couldn't help Liana. He always did his best, but even he wasn't immune to negative thoughts and feelings. Ever since Liana had moved out, it was lonely at home. So, these moments were made even more precious, and now that Jace was involved...Balek couldn't be happier.

"So...How long?" Balek inquired about when they finally confessed.

"A week ago..." Jace stated as he set out the bowls and cups.

"A week?" Balek contemplated, thinking back to a week ago, "Oh! That day you went after the Spider?"

"...Even you knew?" Jace sighed, casting a look towards Liana, "Really?"

"Well, he's my father, you know?" Liana smiled, pausing as she walked past him, "You're not too upset, are you?"

Under Liana's scrutiny and puppy dog eyes, Jace was helpless. Balek understood the feeling. He never could stand up to it either. Especially when it came to Nadine. Liana got it from her.

"N-No..." Jace pouted, defeated.

"Good," Leaning up, she pecked him on the cheek causing him to blush, "Now, hurry with the stew, but be careful."

"...Yes, dear," Jace spoke sweetly, melting Balek's heart.

"To see them like this..." Balek leaned the table, watching them contentedly, "It feels like I waited so long..." He was truly, genuinely happy. He watched his daughter follow Jace around for years. Always running after him, taking care of him.

He knew for the longest time that she had a crush on him. As her father, he was naturally worried. Anyone getting close to her was anxiety inducing to him. It was Nadine's reassurance and talks that helped Balek see beyond that. Not only that, but Balek knew Jace. He wasn't a bad kid.

If anyone was going to be with Liana, he was glad it was Jace. Of course, there was Kiera. Balek had always had a strange feeling when it came to that girl. From the moment he saw her, he felt something was different, but he withheld judgement until he was sure. Happy to realize that Kiera was just deeply in love with Liana, which settled Balek's anxious heart.

Now, the three of them had this to navigate, but if what Balek heard before was right...they would be just fine. However, something was still weighing on Balek's mind. Jace's date from that one time. He heard he had a second date so, wouldn't this complicate things?

"If you don't mind me asking..." Balek approached the subject cautiously, "What of that girl you're seeing, Jace? Did things not work out, or?"

Jace paused as he set down the bowls filled with stew. Exchanging a look with Liana, Balek watched as she shrugged in Jace's direction. As if to tell him it was his choice to answer.

"No, things worked out," Jace answered quietly, his expression softening, "More than I expected, honestly. Right now, however...I'm spending some time with Liana."

"Oh, you have no choice in the matter," Liana teased, coming up next to him, hugging him from the side as she looked up at her with tenderness in her eyes, "After all, you're recovering."

"Well...I do want to make up for lost time," Jace told her, and for the first time Balek saw them kiss.

It was a shock to Balek, as he didn't think Jace would be so bold. He was always a timid, shy boy around women. Yet, here he was unashamed to kiss Liana in front of him. "Or maybe not..." Balek thought amusingly, seeing the red enter Jace's face.

"Besides, I do have a choice," Jace whispered, smiling happily, "I choose to stay with you and recover."

"Sure, sure," Liana patted him on the cheek, "You chose to. Definitely not the fact you're scared of the three of us."

Jace pouted slightly, mocking being hurt by her words.

"I mean...nooo," Jace rebuked very unconvincingly, "I'm not scared, exactly...I just don't want to upset any of you."

"Right, right," Liana chuckled, sitting down as Jace pulled her chair out for them before sitting down himself.

"I'm glad to see you two getting closer finally," Balek told them, his heart truly warm, "By the way, you said three? Is there someone else, or?"

"Ah, no," Liana shook her head, "Me, Selene, and Kiera. I am still dating Kiera, and she is family. So, she's a part of this equation as well."

"And is she-" Balek began to ask, though was cut off from the sharp look his daughter gave him.

Jace was distracted with pouring everyone drinks, so didn't quite notice, but that look from Liana told him to not ask what he was about to ask. With Balek's experience, it didn't take much for him to realize that if Kiera had feelings for him, Jace didn't know and Liana wanted to keep it that way. "It is Kiera's right to say..." And so Balek relented and didn't ask if she also liked Jace.

"Is Kiera...what?" Jace wondered after pouring the drinks for everyone.

"Ah," Balek cleared his throat, smiling nonchalantly, "I was just going to ask if she was okay with all of this, but that was a silly question."

"I don't think it's silly," Jace told him, his face going into thought, "Honestly, I was surprised it is okay, and I'm still getting used to all of this...but, I'm happy. It may be confusing, but it makes things easier."

"Ha! Easier?" Balek involuntarily exclaimed, catching himself as Liana shot him an amused, yet warning gaze, "I mean...yeah, easier. My condolences and congratulations, Jace. Good luck."

"W-What?" Jace couldn't help but look confused as Liana once more shot an even deadlier look towards her father, "I...don't understand."

"It's alright, handsome," Liana told him, resting her hand on Jace's forearm, "My father is just be silly right now. Making jokes cause he's happy for us."

"Ah, is that right?" Jace smiled gently towards Liana, and then at Balek, "Thank you. I'm...happy as well. I feel like a weight has truly been lifted off my chest."

"I'm sure," Balek replied, nodding towards him, "You'll have your hands full...I don't envy you. Good luck, son."

Balek turned his attention towards the food and the conversation deviated from their relationship to the other reason why Jace was there. He was injured, badly at that. His mana was burnt out due to a mana bomb the Spider used.

Balek was furious at the news, but grateful to see he was alive. It made sense that he was here to recover then, and explained their banter earlier. "Those three girls...I'm not sure about this Selene, but Liana and Kiera? Yeah, he stands no chance. They'll make sure he recovers." Balek was grateful at this news. It meant he didn't have to worry about Jace's recovery with their watchful eyes on him.

"Oh, by the way..." Jace mentioned as the night began to wear down and Balek was about to leave, "I mentioned this earlier to Liana, but...I think you and her should go visit my mother tomorrow."

"Oh!" Balek's heart jumped at the chance, "Of course! It has been a while since you asked us to visit. We still need to do that. We definitely should."

"Yes," Liana nodded, agreeing with him, "Things have been a bit hectic, but now that everything seems to be settling down...We should go."

Liana held Jace's hand, who in return squeezed hers in appreciation. Something that didn't escape Balek's notice. It soothed him seeing such a sweet display of affection.

"Thank you," Jace smiled softly, "I really do appreciate it. She hasn't had visitors in a while, so...please tell her I'm doing alright. No, I'm doing better than alright. Especially now."

With that, his gaze turned towards Liana who blushed from his words.

"Definitely," Balek told him, placing a heavy hand on his shoulder, "You're like a son to me, so...I'll happily help you."

Jace paused for a moment, looking between him and Liana. He looked to be in deep thought, his eyes distant. Then, after a moment they hardened. As if he had resolved himself.

"And you have been like a father to me, Balek," Jace's words tore straight through him, piercing his heart, "Or...should I say, dad?"

Liana's eyes widened, beaming like the morning sun. Jace was sheepish and bashful, shifting in place. Balek was overwhelmed, pulling Jace into the biggest bear hug he could have given anyone. "I never thought I'd be so happy hearing him say that..." Balek swore he felt, or sensed an intense warmth and love. It reminded him of the feelings he felt when Nadine was around.

With his overwhelming emotions guiding him, it took Liana to pry him off of Jace as he tapped out from the hug. With him apologizing profusely as Jace recovered from the crushing hug. Dismissing it, Jace waved him off with a tender smile.

"Truly...what a night. If only you were here to see it, Nadine...Our boy has grown so much." Looking back towards the apartment, unknown to him, Nadine was watching the entire time. The warmth he had felt, and the love, was hers.

-----

Just a nice, wholesome chapter from Balek's point of view. <3

10