Chapter 181: Coming Together
72 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 181:

Coming Together

Jace was starstruck for a while after he was told the news. He lay on his back, staring up at the leaves of the tree canopy above him. His mind was completely consumed with just one thought.

He was going to be a father.

"Still can't believe it, huh?" Briana asked gentle, almost teasingly.

She sat next to him in the grass as a soft wind blew by in one of the many gardens the penthouse had. He glanced at her and his heart fluttered. She looked so at peace. Despite the news, she didn't seem to have changed towards him at all, which he was glad for.

He had been afraid that she may distance herself from him, but it was quite the opposite. She was happy for him and the girls. She had already been talking a lot about it with them.

She was, no, is a sweet girl. Jace wanted to do right by her if they were to work out. He was pretty sure she liked him as well, but neither at really told the other. He wondered if he'd ever get the chance.

"No, I can't," Jace chuckled softly, "It's...more surreal than anything I've experienced so far."

"Are you worried?" She inquired.

Her kind nature always seemed to relax him, and she genuinely seemed to be concerned for him as well as curious.

"...Yeah, a lot, honestly," he responded, turning his gaze once more to the canopy above him, "I mean. I'd like to think I'm good with kids. I've saved my fair share and...they seem to like me, but..."

His words trailed off as he thought of his fears about fatherhood.

"You're afraid you'll fail somehow," Briana spoke his thoughts as if she had read his mind, she almost seemed to chuckle as she spoke, "Don't worry..."

Her words were gentle as suddenly the sunlight through the trees disappeared, and in its place was Briana's bright, smiling face illuminated by the backlight of the sun filtering down from above. He blushed at her closeness as well as her radiant expression.

"You won't fail," She told him confidently, "And before you say anything. I just know, okay? Besides, you have a lot of help. So...take some breaths a relax, alright?"

He felt his heart pound at the confidence she showed in him. Taking her advice, he took several deep breaths and smiled up at her.

"Thank you," he told her gently, "I'm still afraid, but...maybe that's a good thing. It'll remind me what not to do."

"Heh, maybe," she laughed lightly, raising Jace's spirits with its angelic sound.

He felt a bit of emptiness as she retreated from his view, returning to sitting by his side. Glancing over at her, he saw her hand in the grass, nearby to his. He thought for but a moment before he decided a course of action.

Reaching over, he hovered his hand for a brief second before resting it over hers. She looked down in surprise, and has he encompassed her hand, she smiled softly, returning his hold on her. Their hands embraced in a mutual affection and support of each other.

"You always seem to lift my spirits, Bri," he told her fondly, "I mean it when I said thank you. I'm glad you're here."

"...Me too, Jace," she responded shyly, a light blush across her face as she squeezed his hand, "Me too."

------

Liana spent a couple days with her father fussing over her. He was overjoyed to be a grandfather, but at the same time seemed to be more concerned over everything than Liana herself. It was amusing and exhausting all at the same time.

"I'm fine, father," she groaned, rolling her eyes as he lifted the fertilizer needed for her plants, "I'm not so weak that I can't move that myself, nor am I that far along yet. Come, give it."

She held out her arms, staring down her father who stubbornly held the bag to him like a child.

"No," he stated adamantly, "I don't care how far along you are. You're my daughter and I should help you in this time of need."

"You make it sound like I'm disabled or something," Liana mused to him while planting her hands on her hips and giving him a condemning stare, "If you don't let me do something I'm going to send you home."

"But-!" Balek began to protest.

"Oh, let the girl do it, you big lug," Delilah chimed in from where she sat with Olivia at a nearby garden table, "I know you're worried, but fussing this much isn't going to be of much help. Work with her. Not against her."

"Thank you!" Liana exclaimed in exasperation, "Give it!"

Once again, Liana held out her arms for the bag of fertilizer. Balek glowered and sulked before finally relenting. Taking the bag, Liana hefted it easily.

"Now..." Liana eyed him, motioning to the tools, "Help me dig this plot."

Balek's expression brightened slightly as he smiled with a nod.

"Alright, alright," He gave in and took the gardening tools and began to get to work.

She was touched by her father's concern, but he had to learn some control. He turned into a completely different person whenever he was emotional, but that wasn't a bad thing. It was endearing in its own way.

Ever since she found out she was pregnant, Liana had been excited to tell everyone, but waited for the right moment. It had been a long journey, and so much had happened in what felt like such a long time, but...it had barely been half a year.

"By the way..." Liana glanced over at Delilah with a mischievous smile, "It's almost time, isn't it? We're cutting it close, but...the ingredients are ready?"

Delilah smiled widely with that brightness only she could muster.

"You know it, dear," she replied with a mischievous joy, "He's always been a stubborn one, but we'll make it special. Do we know who we're inviting?"

"Mhm," Liana nodded, glancing back to the work at hand, putting down the fertilizer with a soft, loving smile, "Everyone."

Delilah, Olivia, and Balek all smiled knowingly and nodded in agreement. They were going to be celebrating Jace's birthday. He had been born in late Spring, early May. They were cutting it extremely close as May had just arrived.

They wanted to celebrate it on his birthday, and if all went according to plan, they would. However, they only had a few days left. They had invited everyone on their side, but now it was up to Jace to invite one more person.

-----

Jace smiled gently at Rachel, placing a hand on her head as she looked a bit conflicted with her emotions. He had invited her out this day for a few reasons. The first one being he wanted to see her. The second is that he wanted to share the news with her.

"Congratulations..." She smiled softly, though he could see the conflict in her eyes, "I'm happy for you. You're going to be a father."

"Thank you," He told her, running his hand down the side of her face and tilting it to have her look at him, "Now, tell me what's on your mind. Don't hide it."

She sulked slightly, letting out a deep sigh. Placing her hands against his chest, she leaned into him. They were in the private courtyard outside of her room. She rested her head against him, and he held her close.

"I am truly happy for you," She told him, and he could hear the genuine tone in her words, "You will be a great father, I'm sure of that. I'm just...worried."

"Tell me," Jace ordered gently.

"Well...It's silly, but..." She looked up at him with surprisingly innocent eyes, "I feel like I may see less of you because of it, and...I don't know how to handle that. If I do something like I did before to get your attention, you'll be angry and I-"

Feeling amused and touched by her words, he cut her off by taking her chin between his thumb and forefinger, tilting her face up at him.

"You're adorable, you know that?" He told her, much to her blushing embarrassment, "I'm not going anywhere. I may have more responsibilities, but...I won't forget about you."

"You...won't?" She sounded almost pleading as she asked, her eyes darting across his face, searching for answers.

"No, I won't," he reassured her, leaning down to her lips.

There, he kissed her. Soft and gentle. As she craved, begging for more by pressing against him, he kissed her deeper and rougher. Moving together, they made their way to the wall of the courtyard, where he pressed her back against it.

Running his hands through her hair, he firmly grabbed hold and tilted her head back. She moaned, shivering under him. His lips moved from hers to her neck, her skin growing small bumps as she trembled.

"You are mine," he whispered in her ear seductively and with passion, "I'll do right by you. So don't you worry your pretty little head, understand?"

"M-Mhm..." She nodded, opening her eyes as she looked at him with heated desire.

"And, if you do get out of line..." His eyes glinted with danger, "I'll just have to punish you. A good spanking, maybe? However, if you are good...I'll reward you with something even better."

"O-Oh?" She wondered, licking her lips slightly as his hand trailed along her side.

"Indeed," he nodded, looking her over with attentive eyes, "Of course, I still owe you for your spying, but...we'll get there."

Her legs grew weak as his words shook her in a pleasurable wave. Catching her, he helped to steady her before sitting on a nearby bench. He held her while stroking her hair.

"By the way..." Jace spoke up, "There's something I want to ask you."

"Anything..." She answered almost breathlessly.

This brought Jace to the final reason he had come to see her. He was surprisingly shy about it, but...the girls had asked him to mention it to her, and he thought it was appropriate.

"In a few days..." he stated softly, feeling slightly nervous, "We're holding a party. Well, the girls are despite my reluctance about it. I need to get used to it, as they won't let me forget from now on."

As he mentioned a few days, Rachel's eyes widened as if she realized something. "Well, she is my number one fan, according to that merch in her room..." Jace chuckled to himself.

"You don't mean..." she muttered in awe.

"I do, yes," he nodded with a gentle smile, "My birthday. I want you to be there. My...mother has also been discharged from the hospital, and I'd like you to meet her as well. So, be on your best behavior, understand?"

Rachel's golden eyes seemed to come alive and shine like the brightest stars. He could feel her excitement.

"Really, really?" she suddenly became energetic.

"Yes," Jace laughed, hugging her to him, "Really, really. You know, you're a lot different than when we first met."

"Is that...a bad thing?" She wondered, disheartened suddenly.

"No, not at all," he told her with a shake of his head, "I much prefer the real you than the facade you put up when we first met. Of course, it was amusing thinking back to it."

Rachel was quiet as she smiled slightly. Nuzzling into him to express her happiness at his words. After a moment, she spoke.

"I'd be happy to come..." she stated quietly, "What should I wear?"

"Whatever you're comfortable with," he answered her, "Just be yourself."

"If that's okay..." she sounded grateful and almost hesitant at the same time.

"It's always okay," Jace reassured her.

Her smile deepened as he hugged her tightly from the side. Rachel had become much more docile with his frequent visits, and he had begun to grow incredibly fond of her despite their rocky start. He cared about her wellbeing as well as her certain...quirks that he made sure to indulge.

It was the first time in a while that he actually looked forward to his birthday.

-----

2