Chapter 182: Birthday Kiss
84 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 182:

Birthday Kiss

A cool breeze blows across the city, bringing with it good tidings and even better company. The day of Jace's birth had come once more. It was odd for him to celebrate it, but his girls would have none of his nonsense today. Even his mother was in on it, so he was definitely not winning this battle, and that was the reason he had given into it days before.

He felt the buzz in the air as they prepared everything. Even as he tried to help, he was shushed back into doing nothing. Even though they were pregnant, they wouldn't let him lift a finger to help. They finally pulled out the big guns when he refused to sit idly.

Briana was tasked with distracting him until the party. He wasn't allowed to do anything. Not help cook, prepare the decorations, or even stand anywhere near them. He was "distracting" they said with a wink.

He resigned himself to being escorted by Briana through the city. In particular, they were taking a stroll through the shop district of New Eden. As always, Briana was a bright sight among event he dazzling advertisements and clean neon of the area.

For just a moment, Jace was able to forget about his anxiety on not doing anything to help the girls. Briana was very good at distracting him. Bringing him around the large central fountain and through the various pathways weaving among the shops.

New Eden's Shop District was much different from any of the Barren's District markets. It was clean and filled with greenery in planters. Everything was spaced out, with only a few paths leading to more narrow streets, but overall, it was spacious.

The large, central water fountain was made of a dark, slate marble with silver and gold accents. An intricate, geometrical rectangle that seemed to bend and twist as it rose several meters up and topped with a hollow sphere from which water poured forth was the centerpiece of the fountain. The sphere itself was carved with a swirling pattern.

Many people milled around this central area that also held ferns and trees in planters and grassy areas. They all wore business attire or some sort of high-end casual wear. Jace could have never imagined walking amongst them in the past, but now he strode confidently, following Briana wherever she led.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself," Jace commented amusingly.

"Of course!" She exclaimed happily, "I'm spending time with you, and it's your birthday! Happy birthday! Have I said that already?"

"Only a few times," Jace chuckled, feeling a little embarrassed, "I don't know how you keep up your energy, but never change."

"I'm just happy," She explained, coming to a slow stop, her hands behind her back as she looked around the area before glancing back at him, "I feel so free whenever I'm with you. As if...I can just be myself because I know I can be myself."

Walking up next to her, he smiled gently.

"Always," he told her, "You can always be yourself around me."

He glanced down, seeing her clasped hands behind her back. He felt the sudden urge to hold them. They held hands before already, so...it shouldn't be a problem, right? Slowly, his hand reached towards hers, but just as he was about to take her hand in his, there was a disturbance.

"Briana!" a shrill, surprised and angry voice rose above the babbling of the water fountain.

At the call of her name, Briana flinched, and he missed his chance to take hold of her hand. Looking up, he saw something that seized his heart. Briana's bright expression had hardened and became slightly fearful before she steadied herself.

The voice had come from behind them. It was a woman's voice and Jace could already tell the type of person they were before he saw them. The self-entitled, holier than thou type. Gritting his teeth, he turned with Briana to face the woman.

Before them stood an older woman with blond hair tied in a neat, tight bun. Her features were sharp and shrewd. What looked like pearl earrings hung from her ears. She wore a form-fitting grey sheath dress with a fur shawl over her shoulders and a powder blue purse hung on her right side.

Golden bracelets adorned her wrists and clear stockings hugged her legs with similarly grey high heels on her feet. Her blue eyes narrowed in annoyance from within a pale face. Nearby was a young man that looked slightly younger than Jace. Both of them had pointed ears, showing that they were Elves, much like Briana.

The young man had similar colored hair as the woman, but cut short and was slightly unkempt as it stuck up a bit in the back. His eyes were a little darker than the woman's, but he held himself similarly to the woman. Confident with a holier than thou expression.

He wore a sleek suit that looked quite expensive and fit him well. He was a lithe, skinny thing. Jace knew immediately who they were. He had heard about them from Briana enough to recognize them.

"Mother..." Briana spoke coldly, straining to be polite, "I see you're taking Helmuth shopping again."

"Hmph, he needed new clothes," her mother stated with a huff, "And is that any way to greet your mother? I swear, it's like I didn't teach you any manners."

"...You need manners first before you can teach them..." Jace muttered under his breath, hiding the movement of his mouth with his hand as he pretended to wipe his face.

Briana stifled a laugh and Jace smirked slightly. He could feel the adrenaline running through him as he faced these two. Something in him was rising. An innate irritation.

"Well, no matter," Briana's mother scoffed, crossing her arms before her, "It's good that I ran into you, since you're not answering my messages."

"Mother, I told you, I've been working," Briana told her flatly, "I've been busy. I can't come home...no, I won't come home. I told you already. I'm done."

"Is that so?" her tone mimicked the way she looked down her nose at her daughter, "Well, I guess you don't want to go to college next year, hmm?"

Briana rolled her eyes, taking a deep breath. Jace glanced at her from the corner of his eye. He felt an urge inside of him begin to rise to the surface, but for now he was holding back to see how Briana handled it.

"Honestly, with your grades, you probably can't graduate anyways," her mother continued and Jace felt himself twitch slightly, "If you think just because you passed your classes that you'll-"

"Mother," Brian interrupted through clenched teeth, "As you said, I passed my classes. How do you think graduation works? You have to pass to graduate. You should be more worried about Helmuth. Didn't he fail his classes last semester?"

The young man flinched at her words and his confident expression dropped slightly.

"H-Hey! I did my best, okay!" Helmuth retorted, his voice grating Jace's ears.

It wasn't like it was particularly horrible, but the whining he heard in his tone told Jace everything he needed to know about him. He was extremely spoiled. This was proven when their mother hugged his head to her and glared at Briana.

"You know it's hard for him!" She shot angrily at Briana, "He does his best, isn't that right my little soldier."

She talked like a baby to him, and he smiled, nodding in agreement. Though, Jace saw it. The glint in his eye as he looked towards his sister. That of satisfaction. He knew what he was doing, but the thing he didn't expect was the cold gaze of Jace.

The moment he could Jace's eye, he flinched and averted his eyes. His mother soon released him and turned back towards Briana.

"Well, that aside," she practically snarked, "You need to come home. You're still my child and you have a duty to fulfill."

Using all of his willpower, Jace restrained himself, but just barely. "The absolutely audacity of this woman..." Looking towards Briana, his heart ached for her. He had heard the stories, but seeing it in person was unbelievable. She was practically shaking trying to control her own emotions.

"A duty?" Briana asked, barely containing her anger and disbelief, "I'm an adult, Mother. I am not yours to order around. I'm working now and-"

"Quit," her mother interrupted sharply, "You don't need to work anyways. Not like you'd go far, even if you are working for St.Claire Industries. You have a better use anyways. Maybe you might do something with yourself finally."

It was getting harder to hold himself back. His jaw was already clenched, and he had quite the murderous thoughts.

"Excuse me?" Briana scoffed, "You know nothing about my life. I tried being a good daughter. Got good grades. Did everything, and you were never satisfied. Now...you're telling me I have use. I'm not a fucking object to be used."

"Watch your mouth, young lady!" Her mother snapped, clicking her tongue, "We've given you everything. The least you can do is repay it. Since you don't seem to be doing anything with your life, we arranged a partner for you. This will-"

Jace felt his eye twitch and he could no longer keep silent, nor could he remain neutral. "An arranged marriage?" Jace recalled Selene's experience with such a thing, and seeing Briana's horrified expression, he couldn't stand by any longer.

"I don't fucking believe this," Jace spoke up, holding an arm out in front of Briana protectively as she went to speak, glancing at her to tell her he has this, "You call yourself a mother while ignoring the feelings of your child? Or are you too busy sucking on your son's dick to realize you have a daughter as well?"

Briana's face went red at his words, but there was amusement there. She seemed almost grateful that he stepped up and for a moment, he regretted staying silent this entire time. He had simply wanted to see how Briana handled it, as he didn't want to interfere unnecessarily, but this was going too far.

"E-Excuse you?" her mother balked at his words, "How dare you!"

"How dare me?" Jace mocked, chuckling, "How dare you. The first time you see your daughter in who knows how long, and you treat her like nothing but a tool to use as you please. You're no mother. You're just a bitch pretending to be one."

Briana's mother blinked in confusion and indignation.

"Why I never!" She exclaimed haughtily, "Who are you to my daughter anyways? I suggest you step away before-"

"Before what?" Jace asked, a hint of steel to his tone, "As for what I am to her..."

At that moment, Jace made a decision. He had hoped to make it a little bit more romantic, but in this situation as he glanced at Briana with fondness, he smirked. He saw no other moment better than this to announce who he was to her.

"I'm her boyfriend," he claimed confidently.

Briana's eyes widened as she held her hand to her mouth. He could see her smile and the tears of happiness appear in her eyes.

"Pfft, you?" Her mother scoffed, looking down her nose at him, "She's spoken for already, so I don't who the hell you think you are, but I suggest you walk away. You're not worthy of being with her. The heir to-

"I don't give a damn," Jace interrupted coolly, "I'm not worthy? It's you and everyone else who isn't worthy of her."

The sky darkened slightly as Jace smirked. He didn't think there were many who didn't recognize who he was. His sharp gaze caused her to retreat slightly as he walked over to her. On his way, the air became heavy, tingling as he entered his charged state.

Standing a head taller than her, he looked down at her with an icy gaze as his eyes glowed with power.

"My name is Jace fucking Ward," He told her simply, his words a dagger as they cut into her, "Who the hell are you to stand in my way? Bri is mine, and I'm very possessive. If you, or this heir, wish to have her...you'll need to go through me. I don't think you're quite capable of that, are you?"

Her face went pale as recognition crossed her face. Casting his gaze towards Helmuth, he was just as pale, his arrogant expression nowhere to be seen. Just a look of pure horror as he took several steps back. Returning his gaze to Briana's mother, Jace appraised her coldly.

"I suggest you rethink your life," Jace recommended, placing a firm hand on her shoulder, "Think on how you've treated your daughter, and ask yourself...is that the kind of mother you really want to be. Now...leave. Don't let me catch you, or anyone else, harassing her again or I'll bring down everything around you."

Jace smiled with a kind malice. Trembling, she was pulled back by Helmuth and the two of them quickly retreated. There were onlookers, but Jace didn't care. Turning around, he released his power and approached Briana.

He smiled apologetically as he cupped her face affectionately. He had just been protecting something precious to him.

"Did I do too much?" He asked sheepishly.

"Nuhuh," Briana shook her head, smiling at him with sparkling eyes, "That was...no one has ever gone so far for me. Even my friends, and...you really said it. Didn't you? My boyfriend, huh?"

"W-Well..." He suddenly became shy as he rubbed the back of his neck, "If you would have me. I like you, Bri. Hell, I may even love you. I wanted to take things slow, but they got under my skin. Had to put my foot down, and-"

Briana beamed up at him and before he knew it, his words were cut off as she threw her arms around him. She pulled him to her, and their lips met in an awkward, yet passionate kiss that soon turned into a deep, loving affectionate embrace. It was their first ever kiss, but it felt so natural.

"...Does that answer your question?" She asked as she pulled away, blushing a bright red, "Yes, Jace. I'd love to be yours as you said."

She teased him, but he couldn't have been happier. He lifted her up and kissed her again. His heart soared as they finally admitted their feelings to each other. It wasn't his ideal situation, but it was a situation that held a lot of meaning to Briana. More than Jace really understood.

He had stood up to her mother for her. Something even Briana had a hard time doing. She had almost cracked when he stepped in for her sake. Her heart couldn't have been happier than in that moment.

To Jace, she shone like the sun and to onlookers, they had a front row seat to such a dazzling show. He almost thought to charge them for looking upon someone so precious. He almost forgot they had a party to go to, but Briana was on top of it.

Taking him by the hand, she pulled him along and they ran from the area with smiles on their faces. He held her hand firmly, not wanting to let go. It was like he was a child suddenly. His eyes solely focused on her as he attempted to keep up.

-----

Briana stuck to Jace's side for a long while after her confrontation with her mother and brother. She was over the moon with joy at what Jace had told them. She had always wanted to stand up to her mother in some way, but had never had the courage or strength to do so completely.

She had stood her ground a few times, but she had always been forced to do whatever her parents wanted. The fact that Jace had stepped in for her caused her heart to soar. He had looked both terrifying and attractive all at the same time. "It was rather hot..." Briana found herself thinking, a deep blush entering her face.

She always knew that Jace was a good, kind person ever since she first saw him back in the club when she was still partying with her friends. Even as he confronted them for Rosalie's behavior, it wasn't out of malice. She saw the expression in his eyes. They had been soft, not angry.

After that, whenever she saw him, she found her eyes wandering to him. Lingering. She didn't quite realize why they did that at first. Passing it off as just curiosity about the person her friend had chosen. When she did realize it, she had felt guilty.

She never expected her friend to allow her to pursue him. Briana had always lived her life with so many restrictions due to her parents. The only time she felt free was when she finished her homework and partied with her friends. Even then, something always seemed missing.

When Jace stepped in for her, she realized that the piece she had been missing was right there. When he claimed her, she became his in her entirety. Being with him, she always felt like she could be herself. She didn't have to hide or make excuses.

She could genuinely be happy and bright, sad and distant, whatever she felt...she knew she could do so in front of him. He wouldn't judge her. He would listen and sympathize. He'd try to cheer her up or tell her it was okay to feel the way she felt. Just hearing him say that was different from anyone else saying it.

She felt like she had fallen in love for the first time again. She had fallen in love before, but it always ended in heartbreak, or they had been paid off by her parents to leave her. Nothing was ever good enough for them, but Jace...he said fuck that, and told them to try him.

She giggled, thinking how amazing he was for not buckling under her mother's pressure. Knowing just who backed him, as well as who he was as a person, her parents would be insane to try anything now. If they did...no, they wouldn't.

"Jace..." Briana asked him quietly as they headed back towards the Penthouse now that it was time, "Can I ask you a question?"

"You know you can, Bri," he responded kindly, "Anything, just name it."

"Heh...I know, I just wanted to make sure," She glanced over at him with a small smile, her hand in his as she squeezed it for strength, "I just...I want to know if you'll support me."

Tilting his head, he looked almost confused, as if what she said shouldn't even be a question. Her heart beat rapidly in her chest, feeling a love for him that ascended beyond typical happiness. His expression told her that he'd support her in anything she dreamed of.

"W-Well..." She suddenly blushed, feeling shy, "Today made me realize something. As long as they still think they're my parents...they'll continue trying to interfere."

"Pfft," He scoffed, shaking his head as if that was ridiculous, "I'd love to see them try. You are not beholden to them, Bri."

"I know..." Briana smiled fondly, leaning against him as she rested her head on his shoulder, "You reminded me of that, but...I want to make it final. They've leeched off of my hard work for years. Without me as a pawn, they'll be forced to use Helmuth. Not that I care...I once loved my family, but-"

"Shhh," his arm suddenly went around her as he held her close, his lips gentle upon her forehead as he soothed her, "You don't need to feel guilty, but if you do...it's alright. They were your family after all, but to be treated like that...you deserve better."

She smiled, closing her eyes as she nodded.

"Thank you..." She whispered to him, "Jace, they have legal rights to me, even though I'm an adult. I haven't been able to fight it."

"Legal rights?" Jace spoke as if he was furrowing his brow, and as she opened her eyes to look at him, that's exactly what he was doing, "What legal rights?"

She explained that, despite being an adult, they can legally choose her medical treatment, make decisions over her finances, as well as any life decisions she makes. She watched as Jace remained stoic, wondering if he would be angry at learning this. Then, he smiled.

"Bri..." He cupped her cheek, his hand felt warm...safe, "What legal rights?"

That's when it clicked for her, and tears formed in her eyes. He would fight for everything. She smiled and he pulled her in for another kiss. His lips, like always, were sweet. A bit rough, but gentle in his own way. She could kiss him forever.

Unfortunately, as the vehicle landed, their little moment alone was cut short. Before they left the vehicle, Jace spoke to her assuredly.

"Bri, they won't touch you," he told her with an unwavering look, "Consider it my own sort of birthday present to myself. Your freedom and right to choose for yourself. I won't force you to do anything you don't want to. I know I made a choice back there, but if it's ever something you don't want, just-"

"No," she shook her head and smiled brightly, "For the first time in my life, I've never been so sure. Even with permission, I was still holding back a little...out of fear. Uncertainty. However...my time spent here, with you and everyone else, has shown me something I can't live without."

Jace smiled that damn smile of his and she kissed him once more, for good measure.

"I want to be with you, if you'll allow it," Briana stated with a blush.

"Of course," he told her without question, "We can take it as slow or as fast as you want."

She nodded, squeezing his hand, and together they stepped out of the vehicle to the party and people awaiting.

------

No one hurts Bri when Jace is around. What's his is his. Especially when they're as precious as Briana.

2