Chapter 3: The dream of the Butterfly I
2k 18 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After closing the door, he had before his eyes a long corridor. From left to right it looked endless. On top of that, there were doors some distance from each other, they were all 'guest' rooms. He remembered with a bitter smile. He wondered why he had done so many, no one had ever been a "guest" in his dungeon.

He shook his head to get rid of those unnecessary thoughts. Then took the path to the right and hurried forward. He needed to get to his destination and he wanted to do it without bumping into anyone. Fortunately, there were no "guards" of any kind in that section, but there was the possibility of meeting some of the NPC girls or one of the 5 homunculus maids who were in charge of cleaning each of the rooms.

He was grateful that he could remember the entire layout of the dungeon and the habitable section. Thanks to ROTDM having a pretty nice and simple “Housing” system.

I'm really glad I memorized the blueprints from when I was playing…wait…playing? No, I built this because the dungeon core had suggested it to me… no… it was… because of the blueprints?” She held her head after feeling a stabbing pain. She could feel an intense struggle within her mind. Two parts of herself constantly fighting for control. She had to hurry up and face whatever was happening to her.

At last, after walking for a long time, she came to a double door made of oak. So solid that it would take all her strength and a little more to break it. It was quite tall, at least 2 meters tall and 150cm wide. This was her destiny. A room she had made for a single purpose.

She put her hand on the door handle, turned it, and with all her strength pushed the doors open. There was a small sound, like a hiss, and then the door opened on its own, very slowly. She waited until it had swung wide open before entering. The room was set up so only she could open and close it.

Reilan had created it to confuse any invader who tried to bring it down.

“No, it wasn't because of that. It was because there was something important here…something I didn't want anyone to see. It was because… I didn't want anyone to find me here?” The memories seemed to overlap with one another. Sometimes they seemed the same, other times they were two different things. Each discrepancy generated a question, and each question brought confusion and more questions.

The door closed as soon as she took a couple of steps inside. The room was medium in size, a square about 4m on each side, almost empty. The floor was covered by tatami. There was a low table in the center with a single-sided cushion. On the table was a book, with an inkwell, a quill, and a censer. Beyond that, at the back of the room, was a shelf that covered the entirety of the wall, containing several different kinds of objects.

"I haven't been here in a long time. This place…"

Reilanis moved across the room to the shelf on the other side. The cabinet looked like one of those display racks in museums. Every object inside was set on a stand of some kind that held them upright for full viewing, all contained behind glass that seemed deceptively thin.

The first thing that caught her eye was what looked like the remains of a large egg. A little bigger than a basketball.

"Miriam's egg." She said out loud, remembering when she had the girl in her arms.

It had been a short time since she had started as an adventurer, traveling the world, trying to find a place to lay the dungeon core she had gotten in a strange stroke of luck.

She had taken an escort mission for a caravan headed for a kingdom in the center of the continent. Said caravan transported parts of two dragons that had been hunted by a group of high-ranking adventurers, and had been sold to a trading company that had its headquarters in that kingdom. They wanted to take as much as they could to create high-level items and display the heads of both beings as trophies.

Several days passed on the road, while Reilanis questioned the other escorts as much as she could about the cargo. One night, in the middle of dinner, one of the merchants got drunk and told her that, hidden in one of the carts, there was a real dragon egg. In perfect state. The baby dragon would be hatched, raised, and enslaved for later sale at one of the auctions owned by his company. Reilanis held back her anger, clenching her fists as tightly as she could, to the point that blood dripped through her fingers. She tried to get as much out of it as she could, including how it should be hatched, though it seemed more like some sort of alchemical magic than a way to hatch a baby dragon.

She doesn't know what prompted her, but that same night, taking advantage of the fact that she would be on duty, she looked for the car that the drunk man had told her about. With great care, she entered and searched everywhere. Near the driver's seat, there was a hidden compartment. She took advantage of her [Inventory] skill and store the egg inside. Then she went out, making sure no one had seen her, and continued her work.

When they reached the city, the girl got separated from the caravan. She had accomplished her mission and now she needed to find a place to hide for a while. Immediately left the city and headed towards a forest in the mountains. There she found a cave, where she settled to incubate the egg.

Little did she know that the method the man had told her was not only too difficult to accomplish but even among scholars, it was considered a fantasy among alchemists and monster breeders.

“Create a nest of coal and rocks, and with Trent wood, start a fire. This type of fire is called "living fire" a type of element that fed as if it were an animal or a monster. Hah, I spent a year hatching that egg, thinking that guy had lied to me.”

But just when she was about to give up, and thought it was better to just sell the egg or get rid of it, she heard a small crack. Immediately walked over and what she saw made her cry out in surprise.

"A girl. A girl covered in green scales and a long tail.” That day had become the birth of Miriam and the beginning of her life as a "mother"

“No, I… I didn't raise her. No, yes… no… I… I… I created it in a game, I remember all the time I spent customizing every detail. There was no such thing as hatching an egg! I… WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING TO ME!?”

Reilanis held her head, fighting the piercing pain that hammered at her brain, interfering with her reason. How could she have two different versions of the same memories? And above all, why did she have them, why were there two of them fighting this way? Who was this being that had gotten into her head, confusing with his strange memories?

“NO, this is my body! No, it's not mine… whose is it? Why are we here!? Miriam… Am I Reilan? No, I’m…Reilanis? No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. I'm… I'm Reilan… Reilanis… Who am I!?”

She had fallen to the ground screaming in pain, she writhed and convulsed, dragging herself as she tried to contain herself. It felt like hot nails were being driven through her skull and the feeling grew stronger and stronger the more she fought against this one, Reilan, who was denying her entire life with his false memories.

"[I'm not fake! My life… why am I here!? Why is this happening?] I am Reilanis, demon lord! Master of the Belfast Dungeon! [The Shogun, The Disaster, The Progenitor]”

Over time, the pain subsided, allowing her to catch her breath. The white dress she had been wearing was now pulled away from her body, turned into nothing more than useless strips of cloth.

Reilanis was drenched in sweat, her body aching all over, but she knew she would have to stay here until she had dealt with the parasite that had infected her mind.

The red woman moved to sit up, gasping for air. She felt as if she had been fighting for several days without a break. She had managed to regain control of her body, although she still felt "someone else" in her mind. She wanted to get rid of that being, but there was also something that told her that this was not the path that she should follow. As if he was somehow important.

Her breathing had returned to normal and she was able to stand up once more. She realized that she now felt less, fragmented. She thought that maybe if she kept scrolling through her memories like that, she'd get rid of whatever was happening to her. She felt nervous, but if she wanted to get her mind back, she had to go through all of this, even if she didn't want to.

She went back to the shelf. There were some framed drawings. Drawings made by a girl, just doodles of different colors. In one of them, she could see two figures, one completely red that was tall, and the other green much smaller. They held hands and had big happy smiles on their faces.

The next one was much more defined. There was the red figure, now with horns, white hair, and a huge club on her back. Holding her left hand, a slightly smaller figure, with blond hair and red on the tips, had a more serious expression, even so, a very small smile could be seen, although it could be just a poorly made stroke. Holding the right hand of the red figure, a girl with green parts on her body and a long tail wrapping around the leg of the red figure. The girl had a huge smile on her face.

The new girl at her side was Elisa. She was now something like her secretary. She was too diligent and serious in almost everything she did. Reilanis gave her constant headaches, but she never complained about it. She always gave her an exhausted sigh, smiled slightly, and went on with her work.

She fondly remembered when she first met the girl.

She found her sick, wounded, and weak. The little clothing, she wore was stained with dried blood and she was swathed in poorly placed bandages and poorly treated wounds. Reilanis had found her lying in a cave, which she wanted to use to shelter from the rain, along with a 4-year-old Miriam. She was surprised to find an injured girl in a cave in the middle of the forest, but she was more concerned about her condition. The girl was in a corner of the cave, completely terrified, holding a dagger, too big for her hands, which were shaking terribly. She didn't know if it was from fear or the weight of her weapon. Her eyes were moist as if she knew that this could be her last moment alive.

Reilanis didn't quite know what to do and was trying to find a way to make her understand that they didn't want to hurt her. It was at that moment that her little girl came out from behind her legs, not understanding what was happening and keeping a wary look at the girl in front of them. Elisa, noticing the dragon cub, opened her eyes wide, and as if that had worked as a switch, she dropped the weapon in her hands, letting out a cry of anguish, pain, and relief, which Reilanis swore had hurt her throat.

She did her best to comfort the girl while she did her best to heal and bandage her wounds. She took out some of her clothes from her inventory and dressed her in them. Although the clothes were too big for her, it was the best she could do with what she had.

“Persecuted for being the daughter of a race that was considered blasphemous… I have never heard of such stupidity. When she told me that, I was so furious…”

Silence.

“[Elisa? She… I remember that she had been restrained…] Restrained? What do you mean? [I remember writing that she was an experiment…she's a Nephilim, right?] Is she? [I don’t know. I…] What is a Nephilim? [She is the daughter of a fallen angel and a human. It is a tabu amongst the people] Who kept her like this? […Humans.] What kingdom? [I do not remember. North? Yes, it was the north. A kingdom to the north, Bra… Brahim? No, Bra… Bral… Bralmiria, yes Bralmiria!] The Bralmiria kingdom, the worshipers of light. Why? [Nephilim…they wanted to know if they could turn her into some kind of weapon, or imitate her powers.] She was 10 years old when we found her. [Retained 10 years?] No, less. She was 9 years old… she told me she was running away for a year. Persecuted… hurt… rejected… They must pay. [Yes, they must die. NO! I must return to my house. My room, my home… My home? Isn't this my home? Where am I?]"

The headache was back, but it wasn't as bad as before, just annoying. Now at least the other inhabitant in her mind had given her some important information, and she intended to find out if his words were true. For now, at least, she hadn't had to roll on the floor in hellish pain.

 

Additional chapter for today! I am happy because I have reached the goal of more than 100 readers! I am very excited to see that things are going much better than I expected and that has inspired me a lot. That's why today I will put this little bonus.
I hope you enjoy it because from here things are a bit complicated for our MC.

And as you know, any constructive criticism is welcome as it helps me improve. Thanks for coming this far, I'll see you next Wednesday!

61