Chapter 8 Ravens
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     Alnueava stood up and walked down the hall. Looking around she found the bathroom, it was... crude to say the least. Nonetheless she did her business and started walking back to her room.

     That was until she heard something that sparked her interest. She stayed further up the hall and out of view.

     "Dad! You can't be serious!"

     "I am very serious dear, we will not be kicking her out."

     "But she's too suspicious! I've never seen anything like it! I don't even know what her status says! Not to mention her skills! You can't trust someone like her!"

     "Mia, I won't throw her out, she's been through so much and she's so young... Mai, we don't know her background and we don't know how she got those skills but she's here and we can't change that."

     Mia obviously didn't agree, and stormed out of the room. When she came into the hallway she glared at Alnueava and stormed away.

     Alnueava tilted her head and narrowed her eyes.

     'So she knew I was here... and wanted me to know how much she doesn't trust me..... What a clever little girl. but she also let it slip that she can see people's status, including mine. That wasn't a wise move.'

     Alnueava walked back to her room and laid down, she opened the window and breathed in the morning air.

     'Ummm, I need to get that girl Mia to tell me my attributes... Can I do that without getting close to her? Maybe... though not likely. Plus she hates me, so I doubt she'll want to help me.'

     Looking at the peaceful forest, a large black bird caught her eye.

     "What is that?"

     Suddenly a voice spoke up behind her.

     "That's a Raven."

     Whipping her head around, she saw Greg. He was holding a bowl and folded up clothes.

     Alnueava suspiciously eyed him and said nothing.

     "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you! I just came to give you breakfast!"

     "...no problem, sorry for staring. Can you tell me more about these 'Ravens'?"

     "Yeah, you can find Ravens just about anywhere but they tend to stay at graveyards or battlegrounds."

     "Are they always that big?"

"They tend to stay around that size, but you can find some bigger or smaller."

     "They make some interesting noises."

     "Yeah... normally you don't find them around here, it's rather strange to see one here."

     "Is this not their habitat?"

     "It's not that, it's just that no one dies here... at least not very often."

     "They stay around the dead?"

     "Yeah, the dead or the dying. Now come and sit over here, you need to eat!"

     "Very well..."

     Alnueava walked over and sat down at a small table and used an upside-down crate at a seat. Greg placed the bowl in front of her and Alnueava saw it was a soup broth. It tasted like chicken soup.

     "Oh, and before I forget, here are some clothes. They might not fit very well but it'll be more than what you have on right now..."

     "Please leave them on the bed, I will change into them later."

     "Very well, remember that you need to focus on getting better so you need plenty of rest!"

     "Yes, could you bring me some crackers next time you come by?"

     "Yeah! No problem!"

     He gave a large grin and waved goodbye before closing the door. Alnueava sighed and continued to eat her soup.

     'He reminds me of a deer... or perhaps a squirrel.'

     Alnueava spent most of her time trying to sleep, though mostly unsuccessful. Eventually Greg stopped by and gave her the crackers, she broke them apart and left it on the window seal.

     'Hopefully I get to see these Ravens up close.'

     Alnueava was laying in bed when she heard a small gasp come from the hallway. Looking over she saw the small boy, Philip, staring at her from behind her slightly opened door.

     He stared at her with trembling eyes before mumbling something.

     "I-I brought-to your dinner..."

     "Then you can leave it on the small table right there."

     "O-Ok..."

     Alnueava looked at the child, she wasn't as uncomfortable compared to earlier now that she wasn't so stressed. Though she wasn't comfortable and would still like to avoid him it wasn't intolerable.

     The little boy looked at her and asked with a shy and trembling voice.

     "...why are you covered in spots?"

     "... I'm covered in scars and spots because someone did cruel things to me."

     "C-cruel?"

     "Bad things... someone did bad things to me and it left a mark."

     "O-Oh... why would they do that?"

     "I'm not exactly sure, but they wanted to see what would happen."

     "Why?"

     "Because they wanted answers."

     "Why?"

     "There might be multiple reasons for that."

     "Why?"

     "Because the world is complicated and humans are unpredictable."

     "Why?"

     "..."

     Alnueava stared at the child and felt annoyed.

     'Why did I even bother, it's a child, what would they understand?'

     Alnueava silently ignored the small child's questions. She eventually managed to push him out of the room with her unwelcoming attitude.

     She almost felt bad for the kid, but she wasn't about to invite him back in. Standing up, she comfortably walked over to the small table. Looking down to her feet, she nodded in approval.

     'It seems the Quick Recovery and Fast Healing are doing a wonderful job...'

     Alnueava bent down and unraveled her foot's bandages. They indeed were healing very quickly.

     Alnueava leaned back and pondered to herself.

     'This is an amazingly useful skill... How can I make it stronger or more effective? It is normally very difficult to level certain skills without being in a dungeon, but it is not impossible.

     'I already know many skills and abilities from my time before being a human. However many of those will be impossible for me to use again because they're race classified, and I am no longer a demon... but I can replicate it.'

     Narrowing her eyes she looked outside.

     'I'll have to ask Greg about the system, he'll know more about it... probably.'

     Standing up, Alnueava walked downstairs and found Greg in the kitchen. He was currently doing the dishes made from their dinner. She walked up to him and cleared her throat.

     "*Ahem*"

     "A-Ahh! Y-You're supposed to be upstairs resting!"

     "I'm feeling much better now, and I have some questions."

    "You should be resting! At least sit down..."

     "Very well, would you be willing to answer my questions?"

     "I-I guess... what did you want to know?"

     "The system and dungeons, could you explain more about them?"

     "Ummm, that's kinda a broad subject... can you ask something a bit more specific?"

     "Then can you tell me about the evolution options?"

     "Evolution? I've heard of it... it's not an option many people ever get to see... but very rarely a dungeon will give you the option but I've also heard that sometimes strong people in a high tear get the opinion to evolve. But remember that it's really rare and most people only get a class up for their job."

     "Job?"

     "Yeah... you know... when you get enough skills you will get job options related to them... you know, for a job?"

     "Humm, is there a dungeon nearby?"

     "What? Heavens no! Those are extremely dangerous! You stay away from those you hear me?!"

     ".....If there are none close by I won't be able to enter one anyway."

     Alnueava was startled when he spoke in such a stern voice, she felt like a child getting scolded... She then looked at Greg in confusion. Why does a weak human have such an authoritative voice?

"You shouldn't even try entering one of those! They are far too dangerous! Too many walk in and not out!"

    Alnueava raised an eyebrow while she thought of Greg's insistence.

     "Are dungeons really that dangerous?"

     "Of course! Many cities have fallen because of a dungeon break."

     Alnueava was surprised and thought to herself.

     'A dungeon break? How did they let the situation even get that bad?'

     Deciding that she needed an answer to her question, she asked.

     "Why didn't people go in and kill the excess monsters?"

     "They tried, but the dungeon and its monsters were too strong."

     "Where is the dungeon now?"

     "It's in the in the Norway Capital, after a few dozen years they managed to reclaim their land... they were actually one of the few that did."

     "...what are the rewards for clearing a dungeon?"

     "Well, it's been said that they can offer skills, abilities, power or even different affinities."

     "Wait, you mean they can offer an entire elemental affinity?"

     "Well... that's what I've heard... the dungeon rewards are one of the few things that keep people going to them..."

     "You don't seem to like that."

     "It's not like I don't understand them... it's always been a desperate struggle to stay strong... strong enough to survive.

     "It's been peaceful here, but only because we're cut off from the rest of the world. We don't have access to the guards' protection and we're cut off from our family's. Most people wouldn't be able to survive the winter, they don't know how to live out here."

     "You seem to have thought about this a lot."

     "Yeah, oh! Sorry for rambling. Do you have any other questions?"

     "Not at the moment, I appreciate you answering my curiosities."

     "Oh! No problem! By the way, do your bandages need to be replaced yet?"

     "Yes... I should also clean myself."

     "No problem! I'll get Mia to help you with that."

     "...I can do it myself."

     "Then she’ll be close by if you need her, so if you change your mind you can call her."

     Alnueava stared at him with a mildly annoyed face.

     'Why does he look so positive that I'm going to change my mind?'

     Turning away, she walked back upstairs. Leaving Greg in the kitchen to finish his dishes. He stared at her back as she left.

     "She's so closed off, can I even help her open up?"

1