Chap 53 – O…kay…
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Passing the baton to Lian Hua, I had expected to stay at the sect for the foreseeable future. It was the best choice, and both my master and senior shared the idea. I gained a lot of experience in such a short amount of time. Digesting and absorbing those discoveries were the sensible next things. 

That used to be my plan until the sect master showed up three days later and turned the table upside down. He announced that I would be allowed to register for Gudu’s tournament as the fifth contestant. He also made it clear to everyone that should I decide to enter the tournament I can act according to my own discretion. This means no one is allowed to fault me for losing or conceding my match.

My junior master is one fickle fellow.

Or is he?

He threw me into three fights on the first day. He agreed with Zhao Ren to have me take on the trial cave while my injuries haven’t finished recovering. I am still injured now but I digress. 

At first glance, it appeared he was making things harder for me. Turning and tossing the facts around a bit, and a new possibility arose. He was just bored. He knew my master for decades, both being students of the same teacher. It piqued his interest, possibly, when this very senior of his returned to the sect with a girl who couldn’t control qi. He likely couldn’t wrap his head around my master’s decision. It was plausible that him shoving me into trials one after another was his way of probing me, like poking at an exotic animal to provoke a reaction for the sake of his inquisitive mind. This “encouragement” to Gudu ought to be another of his poking.

It may be for his entertainment, but what do I need to care about? Weighing gain and loss, it was beneficial to me to check out this event.

On one hand, I bet the sect master want me to gain some insight. This first hand experience would be instrumental to a later return, and with it, hopefully I would bring back a handful of achievements in return for “the favors” he has bestowed.

On the other hand, if this event is as big a deal as every gossip made it out to be, countless information about this world could be obtained here. Variety of people would gather. They might become my friends or foes. I couldn’t pass on a chance to get to “know” them.

Talking about people, I have absolutely no clue why this boy is following me. 

I saw him during the registration process. Based on how the people there reacted, the feat he pulled off must be impressive. I don’t have the knowledge to appreciate it though. What was on my mind was that he may be a troublesome opponent. Anyway, when I reunited with people of my sect, he was pulled away by his sect. I thought that was the end. 

As my masters and the other adults allowed us to go sightseeing, I went along, paying no mind. Initially, we left the door with Chen Zhi Yi, Mo Tie Ren, and Li Lian Hua.

As soon as the adults were no longer in sight, each made their excuse to go their way. I and Tian Zhong were the only ones together. We saw much of downtown before he told me to go and secure a table in this restaurant while he went to take care of his business. It was then that "we", by the humor of fate, met again.

The boy at the secondary exam ground stared at me. He didn't appear to want to talk.

Hence, I went past him, pretending I didn’t recognize him.

He too pretended I didn’t see him and followed me into the restaurant.

His current location was the seat right next to me on the same table. He has been making no sound and being content with gawking at me from the side.

I had no idea what he was thinking, what he was wanting to do, and I had no idea what I should do.

I was not good with children. Yes, I've lived one life already. Lived and died once. However, those did little to improve this shortcoming of mine.

Was he lost? I was unsure if I could categorize him as a lost child. He was too calm for one. If my intuition was worth any penny, he was likely one of those kids who were captivated by a particular attraction and chased after it disregarding his surroundings. What was I to him? A rare kind of cat or butterfly? Anyway, I should say something.

Before I could think of something to say, a familiar face emerged in my field of vision. This boy also showed up at the test ground. His look could lead anyone to the wrong conclusion. Sadly, I had my share visiting a particular brothel for an extended period in my past life. Not going into details, I could sum up the experience as “one that imparted onto me the ability to tell a very girly boy from an actual girl”. Back to the topic, this boy spotted us from the street and was approaching my table. One look was enough to tell he was as difficult to deal with as the boy next to me. What did he want?

“Can I sit at this table?” He gave me the same smile he was wearing at the exam area. Is this his usual expression?

“Sorry. I have another friend coming.”

“This table has four chairs, right?”

This one didn’t seem to take “no” as an answer.

“I guess. We can share.”

He sat down without a word.

The boy with long bang assessed the newcomer, while the pretty boy just looked at him, smiling creepily.

Should I take this as him taking an interest in the other boy? What to do. Oh, right. I should talk. Maybe I could get them to go away.

“My name is Dong Yun An. May I know your name?”

The boy with long bang turned his head. After an innocent look, he replied. “My name is Jia Hui. I don’t have surname.”

“Bei He Xuan.” That was the extent of his answer. He didn’t even care if anyone paid attention to him.

“Can I-”

“Yun An!” That was a voice I have never heard before. What is it now?

0