Chapter 038
106 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You! I knew it... the sounds. I was rushing toward the sounds. It could only have been you.” Versa says with a labored voice. Her chest is pumping quickly, out of breath from her previous running. “Waiting in town was the right choice.” Versa suddenly reaches out with her long fingers, grabbing Markus by the sleeve of the armed hand. She starts pulling in an attempt to lead him somewhere.

“Wait! Hold on. I need help first.” Markus says as he yanks his arm away. He carefully points his pistol downward as he continues saying “I've got a hurt friend. I'm hurt too. Help us get the hell out of here Versa.”

Color drains from the face of Versa. She's standing silently with a shocked expression. A few moments pass before she can respond saying “How did you learn so fast? And my name? Where did you-”

Markus cuts her off quickly, saying “Magic. I'll fill you in later. Now help us goddammit!”

“Hey Markus, we need to go now. We've got too much attention.” Aurora jumps into the conversation. Drifting between the two, she starts pointing in several directions. She then flies above the head of Markus, anxiously on watch for any new dangers.

Looking around, Markus sees small crowds gathering a few yards to the left and right on the sidewalk. Curious onlookers whisper among themselves. An occasional person points to him. It's obvious some of the people know what the exposed assault rifle slung across his chest is. There's no hiding anymore, Markus has been exposed to the world.

Versa finally gathers herself enough to notice the growing crowd too. She pulls herself close to Markus' face, whispering “Follow me, I have somewhere safe we can all go. Your friend is right.”

A quick glance downward by Markus has his eyes scanning the body of Versa. She's wearing almost the exact outfit as the day they met. The only change is the denim Capri she's wearing. Images of their fight with the giant spider flood into his mind. Markus agrees with a head nod, knowing she's the only option he has now.

With a motion of her head, Versa gives Markus the sign to follow. She then starts a light jog back into the alley he just emerged from. He quickly follows right behind her as Aurora flies close. In a short time, they appear again on the street where the Crimsons where last seen.

Versa continues north at a brisk pace up the street. Markus and Aurora follow closely behind her as they all weave through Montillo. The cloak holding Eclair is kept as stable as possible, but Markus can't help looking at it constantly. Genuine concern fills him because he can't see her.

With a distracted mind, Markus can only guess where he's going. People are consistently looking at him now as they move. The group goes north for a short while, before turning east into small side streets. They continue for a ways, until reaching the eastern edge of Montillo. The cobble streets have morphed into dirt roads in this area of town. All except one.

Markus notices the particular road immediately as Versa begins leading the group on it. Only a single building on the hill ahead can be seen. Empty fields and nature surround either side of the lonely cobble road they're on. Soon, the large building comes closer into view.

A large, beige colored estate designed in a U-form appears. Two stories with a black roof and countless windows. An eight foot high brick wall surrounds the entire compound. A massive, closed iron gate sits parallel in front of the entrance of the building.

Turning to look back, Markus can see the estate has a commanding view of the local area and all of Montillo. He can only assume someone important lives in the building. Facing back to Versa, he sees she's stopped a short distance away from the estate entrance.

Catching up to Versa, Markus now sees why. Two Crimson members are loitering right beside the iron front gate. One of the men is leaning against the brick wall while the other is sleeping under the shade of a nearby tree.

As Markus is thinking of what to say next, Versa suddenly dashes to the front gate. She's still many yards away before the Crimson by the wall notices her approaching.

“Hey! Get Up!” The man yells to his sleeping partner. “Someone is coming!”

The sleeping Crimson is startled awake, and looks over to the running Versa. He realizes who she is and yells back “What!? Again! How does she keep sneaking out!?”

Versa only gets within a few yards of the gate before the Crimson by the wall rushes to grab her. He's able to lock his arms in a bear hug around her body. Versa furiously kicks and flails as she starts screaming “Oscar! Oscar! Open the gate! I'm back!”

“We've got to help her!” Aurora yells to Markus.

“I know! Listen, fly behind the guy grabbing Versa. I'll give you a signal. When I do, distract him or stab him or something.” Markus responds back. He then rushes toward the Crimson man that was sleeping. His back is currently turned to Markus, busy watching Versa instead. Neither man seems to know about him.

Markus quietly covers the distance to the man, but his friend holding Versa notices and calls out “Behind you! Look behind you!”

“What?” The other man says back. He starts looking behind, but it's too late. Markus is already upon him.

The full force of the pistol whip hits the man's face just as he's turning. The Crimson is sent slamming into the ground. A piece of the pistol has cut the man, causing bleeding to appear on his cheek. Blood now drips from the pistol grip of Markus' Steyr. The man isn't moving, completely unconscious.

“Who are you!?” The man holding Versa yells out. He pulls a dagger from his waist and holds it to her neck. He says “Don't move. This isn't your business.”

Markus starts waving his pistol in the air. From behind the man, Aurora sees the signal. She silently flies into position with her metal spear held tightly. She aims the spear at the arm holding the dagger, then flies at high speed. The metal spear pierces several inches into the man's flesh. He screams in pain and drops his weapon.

Versa instantly breaks free and pushes the man away. Markus takes aim with the pistol, pulling the trigger once. A gunshot rings out as a bullet strikes the man in the upper left shoulder. The man cries out in pain, dropping to the ground.

The pistol slide is stuck open. Markus realizes he's out of ammo, but is in no condition to switch magazines. He rushes to Versa's side and says “Come on, we need to get inside.” Just as those words escape Markus, the iron gate opens.

0