Chapter 20
98 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Beings with a heart and soul did not dwell in Mordor. Whoever dared make a deal with lord Sauron was long lost and could not see the light of the afterlife. They were forgotten by the rest of the world or they were pushed aside, and what other consolation to search for if not sweet revenge. That was the most powerful reason darkness used to lure its individuals in. 

"Daewen, it is time."

She exhaled slowly and turned to meet the cloaked figure of her master. He was alive, a rag of a human being that had no feelings in his eyes or words. He was a shell of the king he once was but he was happy with it. He was, after all, where he wanted to be. 

Daewen followed him up the hill to a door that led straight into the volcano. The heat hit her harshly but she didn't show it. There was a long bridge and at the end was the Dark Lord himself. He looked upon her as she approached. The man remained at the entrance and watched in silence. Daewen stopped in front of a little wooden desk upon which was a sword: her sword. She reached for it but Sauron grabbed both her wrists and leaned in.

"There is no light in Mordor nor will there ever be. The world will bow to me and you will be there, by my side, won't you, Daewen?" 

"Yes, lord Sauron." She said in a toneless voice.

"Will you really? Will you not leave when you will meet familiar faces? Will you not forget what brought you here in the first place?" He asked grasping her wrists.

"No, I won't run away." 

Sauron raised an eyebrow as he inspected her thoroughly. Mistril, that was her given name. She was an elf of great quality, strong and smart but it all came from anger and sadness. He was sure that if Mistril ever met her past, the future would become hazy. He did not want to be disappointed so he did what was best for his interests. 

Daewen's eyes widened in pain as she felt him burning her skin. It was worse than a usual burn so she was sure he was using dark magic. 

"What are you doing to me?" She asked through gritted teeth. It hurt more and more as if her whole body was getting on fire. He did not answer and watched as she fell to her knees in pain. Once done, he grabbed her hands softer than before and helped her get up. 

"Rise, Daewen, and do not fear me for I am the source of your life and death." 

She breathed in and out trying to control her beating heart. On her wrists, she noticed she had now two marks. Sauron pulled them together so that she could read them. The Shadow of Angmar was reborn that night in the dark fire. 

Mistril opened her now-green eyes and looked at the sky. It was getting dark and the forest was growing silent. She sighed and tried to forget the dream she just had. The past was haunting her and she knew it will always be so. So much anger, so much torture, and it all resulted in her becoming a murderer. 

After she heard Illion question her ability to love, she left and wandered into the forest of Lothlorien. She was quite far from the city, closer to the path she took several times before towards the Mines of Moria. Few dwarves lived in those tunnels but they didn't know what else was lurking in the shadows. That creature in whose hands laid the future of Middle earth...

She stopped thinking about it when she heard people walk nearby. From the sound of their footsteps on the ground she could figure their feet were big and their walk was one of the troops. The smell hit her hard and she jumped into the trees. A few minutes later a group of two orcs and a goblin came into view, with the meek one getting pushed around by the others. 

"Where did you see them, ay? Where's the elf prince?" 

"Stop asking stupid questions, Yak. This little weasel's lost!" 

The orc growled and grabbed the goblin by the back of his neck.

"Is that right?" 

The goblin squirmed in his grasp but it was to no point. The orc threw him at the base of the tree Mistril was in and then took out his knife.

"If ye don't speak then there's nothing we can do, ay? Rhud, we found dinner!" Yak said with a murderous glint in his eye. Both orcs licked their lips while the goblin cowered in fear. 

Seeing how stupid were the two orcs, she jumped around them and landed behind Rhud. She cut his head with less to no noise. Yak was surprised when he turned to see his comrade dead. 

"Well, well, ain't ye brave, filthy elf. Coming right to me to die." He said swinging his knife with one hand while with the other he grabbed what looked like a chain with a rock at the end of it. She had seen that before at dwarves and men but elves did not use such weapons. 

"Why are you here? Isn't it a little too far from your hole?" She asked with no empathy for the cornered creature that was now free to roam around. 

"Oh, the she-elf has questions! What matters to ye?" He asked stepping closer to her. Seeing one of her wrists he started to grin, pissing Mistril off. "Ohoo, an elf marked with the dark language. There is only one we know of, one that some of us look up to even if it's considered a legend. The Shadow of Angmar. The Murderer of Mordor. So many titles..." he said circling her slowly. "Imagine if an orc would get back to Mordor with the head of this so-called crazy elf. I'd be made king. I'd-"

She threw her knife at him and it landed straight in the middle of his forehead silencing him immediately. 

"You talk too much." She commented before she jumped from her spot.

The goblin fell on his face but rose quickly and attacked her several times with what looked like a poorly made knife. Seeing how she was too fast, the goblin chose to simply try and run onto her and bite her. He almost succeeded but she pushed him off and threw him against a trunk. 

"What did they want with you? Why did they bring you so close to Lothlorien?" She asked but he didn't answer. "Don't mess with me, filth. What are the orcs planning?" 

The goblin laughed which made her frown. She grabbed his head and slowly started cutting alongside his face. He yelled in pain as blood dripped down. 

"I saw the wood elves coming this way. Orcs caught me so... we exchanged information." He said looking at the blade more than her eyes. 

"What are they planning, I asked. Why are they going to Dol Guldur?" 

"Fuck you and your kind," he regretted it as soon as it came out because she cut alongside his chin and up the other side of his face. He spat at her which made Mistril cut his right hand. It was so sudden that the goblin jolted. 

"They-He- He's calling." 

"Who is calling for them?" 

He didn't answer right away so she cut his other hand too and broke his knee. 

"It's him! The lord of darkness! He has returned." He dropped his head and started to snicker. "He'll call for you too. Your master." 

Those were his last words before she cut his heart out. It was so swift and easy, so delightful in a way.

But those words stuck with her as she returned to Caras Galadhon. If they were gathering in Dol Guldur under his command then...She stopped and grabbed her head as she groaned loudly. How could he still be alive? That meant everything she experienced, all her memories coming back and all her dreams were actually his fault. She glanced at her wrists and saw the marks clearer than ever. They were mocking her, reminding her again and again that she gave her life for the wrong cause. 

"Why did they have to take me...why did they not just kill me?" She muttered to herself. She didn't expect to weep but she did; tears started to run down her face as if she had never cried before.


"We're here!" Legolas exclaimed with a smile. He couldn't wait to see Mistril and talk to her. He had so much to tell her of the Woodland and what he has done in the last few thousand years. And he was also curious about what she has done and what were her plans for the future. 

"Good evening, Lord Celeborn." The elder saluted and bowed his head at the lord of the land.

Celeborn approached them with a soft smile and nodded at all three wood elves. 

"I'm glad you accepted my offer. I'm sure you have much to ask and we have much to discuss but first I'm sure you are tired and famished. Please, follow me." He said elegantly making Miluinir's eyes sparkle with admiration. 

"Oh my, you really tagged along didn't you Legolas?" Elladan said loudly as he ran towards the group. He saw them from afar but still couldn't believe his eyes. "Did your father fall ill? If not how come he let you come all the way here?"

"I am Lord Gweluven's guard." He said stuffing his chest out like a proud prince. Elldan chuckled and gave him a pat on the shoulder. "Why are you here?"

"We came to discuss a new trade my father wants to create with the dwarves of Moria. He wants to help them grow in number."

"But aren't they already quite large in number?"

"Yet goblins found a way to live in the darkest corners of their mines. Dwarves are rather stubborn and although we told them not to exaggerate, they are digging tunnels that should not be dug. Not so deep." 

"Has Lord Elrond sent a word to my father as well?" 

Elladan bit his lips and looked at anything but Legolas. 

"He's known for being rather hostile with the dwarves."

"But he is a wise ruler. He wouldn't endanger his people for no reason."

"There are rumors, Legolas, about the Lonely Mountain and the treasures under it. It's been a long time but Oakenshield has been sighted with a wizard and we both know what that means." Elladan said, emphasizing the last part. 

Legolas didn't seem bothered by his tone nor by his memories of his father and his broken relationship with the dwarves of Erebor. Instead, his eyes sparkled at the sight of Mistril approaching them from the gates. 

"Mis-"

"Legolas, you have to be aware of her past. She will most definitely not harm you but she has been...acting a bit off for the past few months." Elladan interfered quietly before he let the young wood elf go to his friend.

"Mistril!" He literally ran to her and once he reached her, he stopped and looked like a kid all over again.

Mistril couldn't help but smile. All her thoughts about Sauron were pushed aside and she caressed his hair gently.

"You grew up. You're already an adult." 

"And I have been allowed to patrol Greenwood." He added glowing with pride, "What about you? I want to know everything you did ever since you left us."


That was how they started their little stroll through the city. It was not a long discussion since Mistril felt like she should keep most of the darker stuff to herself but it made Legolas happy. 

"It must be boring living with Glorfindel. It sounds like the Woodland was funnier." He said once she finished. He tried to sound as if he was talking about himself but they both knew who he was trying to bring into the discussion.

"You mean louder. I had to constantly be aware of how my actions looked to your father or even worse, Faervel." 

Legolas chuckled to himself, remembering all her meetings with both. 

"Actually, father has gotten worse. A lot has happened in the woods, as I am sure you too have heard. Something is stirring in Dol Guldur and it's affecting the entire land. We've been forced to diminish our borders as if we are retreating."

"Hasn't Faervel sent someone in?" She asked growing worried for the wood elves.

"He tried but father has denied him any action that involves the fortress. There is a lot of tension between them. I even volunteered to go in but no chance. Nobody went to Dol Guldur since your voyage with Tudor."

"How is Tudor?" She asked seeing how Legolas was getting just as tense as he implied his favorite captain was. 

"You know, I can't really tell how any of them are. It feels like each is busy and I get left out of everything." The archer said with a pout.

Mistril smiled softly and reached out to move a strand of his hair behind his ear. It was a very motherly gesture of her, or at least it looked so from where Gweluven stood with Lady Galadriel herself. 

"She cares for him as if for a young brother, if not even a son," Gweluven said out loud hoping the Fair Lady will agree. 

"Does she? If we don't hurry, the darkness might take over her soul once more." Galadriel noted with worry. Although Mistril acted well, the marks were getting clearer. "I hear there is a potion that numbs the effects of her chains. Will it work now that she remembers everything?" 

"I cannot tell for sure. Maybe it isn't a potion that we need, maybe she can calm down with the help of her friends." Gweluven reasoned hoping he was doing the right thing by trusting Mistril. 

Galadriel seemed to be thinking about it before she nodded.

"There is still light in her soul. There is still hope and love but if those are damaged I am afraid there will be no cure." 

Gweluven stared at the prince and sighed heavily. If only her love was directed to Glorfindel then everything would be solved. But she loved another whose personality was so difficult.

1