Chapter 9 – So close…
164 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Only 18 minutes had passed, yet for the first time in years, time felt eternal to Eleonora.

When will they come?

That was the question that kept repeating in her mind as she cursed herself for telling them to take their time earlier.

She couldn't hold on any longer!

Impatient yet nervous, she took the initiative to communicate.

[Can you hear me?]

[Yes], came the immediate response, which relieved her.

[How's it going?] Eleonora asked, unable to contain her curiosity.

Would it take 1 hour to arrive? Or perhaps 2?

Eleonora knew that the human she had contacted hadn't moved much from their spot, thanks to her ability to perceive others' locations without needing to see them.

Several minutes passed until the human responded:

[I'm sorry, I don't think I can come to help you]

[Why?] Eleonora quickly asked.

What had happened?

Why had they suddenly changed their mind?

Several seconds passed, and due to her impatience, she asked again:

[Why? Why can't you come?] Eleonora asked with some aggressiveness.

[I don't know where you are… and I can't explore this place alone, as it's dangerous]

[But you said you would come!] Eleonora responded, upset.

[I'm sorry]

[Are there no other humans with you?]

There were few humans Eleonora could sense because there seemed to be some kind of barrier blocking her perception ability. The humans appeared and disappeared repeatedly.

[Yes, but no one wants to help me], responded the human despondently.

Eleonora didn't expect this situation.

Why did she believe them?

What if she tried to contact another human?

It was a risky idea, as several humans had rejected her, and this would show her distrust toward that human, but... What else could she do?

Eleonora tried to find a solution to this problem, but all the emotions she had ignored for so long were erupting.

Desperation and fear were growing.

What if she stayed forever in this place?

If those humans left...

[Hey...], Eleonora asked, trying to hide her emotions. She didn't want to seem desperate.

[What's up?], the human asked in a calm tone, but that tone began to bother Eleonora.

Wasn't this important to him?

Eleonora began to feel great hatred toward that human, but remembering it was her only option, she asked as calmly as she could:

[Why haven't you severed the connection with me like the others?]

If I can find out why he hasn't severed his connection with me, maybe...

[I don't know] the human replied, interrupting Eleonora's train of thought.

Eleonora couldn't help but laugh at that response.

He doesn't know?

Simply... He doesn't know?

Shocked by the response, Eleonora wasn't aware that her laughter was being heard in the human's mind.

[Seriously… this has to be a joke...]

[A joke?], the confused human asked, and that's when Eleonora realized her ability had been active the whole time.

How much had they heard!?

Eleonora was frightened because she didn't want to let one of her ways out slip away because of her emotions.

Eleonora had to calm down.

[I'm sorry], Eleonora said, trying to sound sincere so the human would forgive her.

[What are you apologizing for? I'm the one who should apologize. I said I would help you, and I can't do anything], the human explained.

[No, no, it's me who should apologize for losing my temper]

The human remained silent for a few seconds, then said in a somewhat cheerful tone:

[So, are we apologizing to each other?]

[What?], Eleonora responded, confused.

[Since we both want to apologize to take the blame, how about we forgive each other?]

The human's idea only confused Eleonora even more.

Was the reason the human was still in contact because they were an idiot?

[You're weird], Eleonora said, surprised by their idea.

[Thanks, I'm told that often], the contented human replied.

How could they be grateful for that?!

[Eleonora...]

[Yes?]

[Could you tell me more about yourself?]

10