Chapter 4: A Time to Reflect
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After some time, Hedrik and Shena got out from the room where Greid would temporarily stay for recovery. This was also a good time for Greid to thought about everything he had done.

"System, are you there?" Greid softly said.

[Host, just rest first before thinking too much. At least learn more about this world while you are pinned down to the bed]

"Lecturing me what to do as soon as I wake up. You are really an assistant to the boot. You can forget whatever I said before." Greid then realized that the system could at least probe his superficial thinking and had to say something.

[What are you talking about -.-? I don't understand. Elaborate, please]

"Don't even try to bluff me. You can at least know my emotion and some of my thought. There is no way you are unaware of it!" Greid clenched his teeth in frustration.

[So what if I know? It doesn't affect the overall picture for your quest progress. Don't tell me that you are embarrassed?]

"Fine, keep your secret then." Greid raised his eyebrows before laid on a comfortable position while in deep thought.

 

'I am still too weak and my ego is already inflated from a meager increase in strength. After I recover, I need to do some basic training. My luck at that time is really great. If I had missed, I would be dead for sure.' Greid recalled the exchange with Infiltrators and could not help but contribute it to his immense luck.

Then Greid studied some of the information regarding the planet he was in from the books stacked near his bed. Greid flipped the old and dusty book and learned some important things.

For example, the World Federation of the planet. It had been established for a century due to the first detection of the anomaly. Because the entire Astronomy experts had confirmed with the other that the discovery of this anomaly could also mean the encounter with other civilization, they decided to unite the government of the world into one single body.

And the first mega project they had done was the creation of the Artificial Orbital Ring. Since it needed a large amount of energy supply, it took some from the Planet Power Plants and the remaining energy needs could be satisfied by solar panels as well as the Origin Energy Coating that was applied to all the structure of the orbital ring.

Then they also installed the super-sized version of their Aegis Barrier into the Artificial Orbital Ring, giving the entire planet a protection.

'So why would this power plant does not erect the barrier? Wait a minute...could it be because of me?' Greid then thought about how he could easily enter the Planet Power Plant No.9. When he glanced around in the Surveillance Room, he could see that the monitoring devices were spread even to the outer area.

'Of course Hedrik is in need of some manpower. One person can at least help. If it were a group of people, I am sure Hedrik would not let them in easily.'

Greid kept flipping the page of the book. After he had finished one book worth of content, he would grab another and flipped its page all over again.

'Now this book starts talking about Cybernetics industry...' Greid saw that the main theme of the book was about the trend of an emerging industry. It was because the capability to mass-produce robots enabled human to get some of its resources to something else, something more pressing and important.

It could be said that the speed of energy usage, utility and distribution greatly increased with this industry growing. Not only that but robots were becoming the pillar of military prowess, especially its versatility and enhanced capability that normal human could not hope to match.

'They become the main fighter against Infiltrators. As for humans who created them, most of them were responsible for logistic, maintenance as well as making a major plan for humanity and them to execute. It did not mean that humans are not necessary.' Greid then saw some exemplar news about the accuracy and the efficiency of the robots through the book.

Fighter Automaton, as the humans of this planet called them were fighting Infiltrators at all times. Shena was one such Automaton. And Greid was surprised to see the large picture of several famous figures according to the book he held and he saw Hedrik and Shena among the other figures in the press conference.

 

Reading through a large number of pages started to get Greid tired. But he continued until the end of the book. The very last information he read was about the discovery of the Origin Potion. This potion was effective for both Automatons and Humans to increase their strength. This fact had been seen through the latest conference where one human and automaton were demonstrated to consume it.

As a result, both of them managed to contain Origin energy atribute to their bodies.

 

"Amazing. All of them keep moving forward despite the risk and the threat of the anomaly. This is the very latest released book, about a week before I appeared. It is just that...why do I feel uneasy?" Greid felt that there was something he had missed.

Then he read the system notification and read the details.

[Parallel World Grand Main Quest:

 The host is one of the individual chosen to explore and solve the predicament of myriad worlds. This World and its civilization has recently fallen due to stronger external factor entering.]

"!"

Greid then looked at how the system worded it. Has recently fallen? How? He did not even notice the sign of it since there was no physical sign.

'What if the civilization falls right when I arrive in this place? I need to check...' Greid could only reached for something he knew to be a device on his bed when he needed something. He could only hope that it worked as intended.

He pressed the bell button in transparent surface before it changed color to red. As soon as he did that, the door to his room opened and a figure walked in.

"Please call Mister Hedrik...I don't think I can rest peacefully if I don't tell him, I request that of you Shena." Greid stared at the figure with sharp gaze.

"Don't worry, Master Hedrik has been moving here the moment you press that bell notification for a patient." Shena replied with her synthetical tone.

"What happened?" Hedrik then appeared in a mess. Greid knew that he had been doing something when the notification informed him. Greid felt guilty but since the matter was of utmost importance, he could not help it.

"Do you receive any news from the metropolis area around the Sept Region, or from the capital itself!?" Greid shifted his gaze quickly between Hedrik and Shena, looking for any clue he could find.

Hedrik was shocked when he heard this. His facial expression was one in deep thinking while Shena became the first one to answer Greid's inquiry.

"Mister Greid, I have a receiver that allows me to receive signals from various place in this region. But some of them are suddenly stopped sending the frequent signals that are used to announce their location and condition. Master Hedrik suspected that this is another large-scale movement from the Infiltrators. So we don't know for sure what happened there."

Greid grabbed his head in annoyance. He knew that most of them had become ruins or at least incapable to be a suitable place to stay since the Parallel World Grand Main Quest stated it so clear.

"Damn it!" Greid cursed before he murmured, "External force? Is it from the spaceship the other civilization has or a third unrelated party suddenly come to the field?"

There were too much possibilities and so few clues so Greid temporarily put these thoughts aside. But what he did not know was Shena could catch his lowered voice, making it no different than Greid spoke normally.

 

-Cease the interrogative program course, Shena!-

'But Master Hedrik, he probably knows something we do not. How can we just let him be?'

-Of course we are not letting him go easily. But he is definitely not our enemy, he is more like a lost wanderer-

'Then what would you do forward, Master Hedrik?'

-For one, I do not know whether Greid boy can disclose the information ke knows with us. Second, we should not force him to do something he does not want to. Even if he carries a big secret, I will not inquire if he does not want to disclose it. And third, I have a feeling that we can learn more from him-

'Acknowledged. But about the possibility of another alien joining the fray at this time...is that possible?'

-There is that possibility or the other civilization decides to unleash a more capable thing from their arsenal-

 

The entire conversation had been done through what Hedrik called a Telepathic Link. Greid felt a slight wave of Psyche energy attribute between Shena and Hedrik but decided to not mention it. He was also afraid that they knew he was different, someone foreign.

"Only a fourth of the entire telecommunication to the populace are still connecting. As for the rest, we lost their signal and safety detection. The rest have probably collapse or on the verge of destruction." Hedrik spoke to Greid.

"I guess I have to go along with the flow for now." Greid then grabbed his weapon and then pressed the switch to change its form, repeatedly. Then he looked up to see that Hedrik and Shena had an interest with his weapon.

"What is it?" Greid flinched when he looked at them directly in the eyes.

"To be honest with you, I have some interest in the weapon under your possesion but it is not right of me to ask such thing. Furthermore, my energy detector seems to not properly working when it tried to measure your weapon's energy." Hedrik then replied his honest thought.

"I am detecting some strange energy similar to that of Telepathic Link other than Origin Energy. Hmm...if not for the fact that I need the consent of the owner, I will just do a depth scan." Shena also added.

 

"Sorry, I can't give you this weapon. This is my only companion who will stay with me for a long time, I can feel it." Greid channeled his six attributes energy to his weapon and it gave him a sense as if it was alive.

Novice Gunsword Hellsing

[Gun Mode Hell Initiate]

[Model: Novice Gun Hell]

Greid was adapting the transformation of his weapon while repeatedly change its form. As far as he could tell, the gun form could use his imaginary energy attribute to create an energy attribute projectile as well as covering the entire rifling. This mode required Greid to utilize his physique, psyche and origin the most.

On the other hand...

[Sword Mode Sing Initiate]

[Model: Novice Sword Sing]

The sword form required his physique and origin as the weapon itself was meant to do melee attack. It was to the point that the gun form was more comfortable to Greid due to the quantity of the energy attributes required were less than the sword form.

"Is that so? If there is nothing to speak, I have to go back to contact anyone I can reach before resuming my research." Hedrik then turned around and wanted to take further steps before Greid said something.

"Wait a moment! Can I go with Shena the next time she goes out and after I recover?"

 

-

 

"Yes! I can move around now!" Greid was overjoyed when the medical bed which his body laid on confirmed his healty status.

The medical bed was what Greid considered high-tech implementation but considering the technology of this planet, it was treated as normal. Even thesystem also confirmed Greid's condition, giving Greid some confidence that he mostly recovered.

Then he sat down, circulating his Imaginary Energy Refining Art once. He did this in the morning and evening for the last seven days, increasing his understanding of his own refining art as well as better utilization of Physique, Psyche and Origin energy attribute.

'After seven days, my imaginary energy reserves increase quite a lot. But because I have six attributes, it has been divided and the increase in the Physique attribute become the slowest. The other five however has some improvement.'

Greid had also thought a lot of what the improvement of his Physique energy attribute meant since this was the first energy attribute that broke to the Foundation Building realm.

It turned out that the increase affected his senses, metabolic system, his physical body overall. He also found that the reaction when he wanted to move his limbs increase by 0,01 second. Not apparent difference but he was worried since this signify something.

[It is because the difference between your physique and psyche. The gap widened suddenly so your mind needs some time to adapt. Host, you have to stabilize and not rush due to this very reason. The increase of a major realm will affect your own body and existence so you have to get familiar with the new strength]

'I know. That is why I am fine with resting for the whole seven days. Other than that, my control over my own imaginary energy sucks. In the information the Imaginary Energy Refining Art relay, there are also the factor of control and proficiency. Is this what it mean when you show me the prompt of the increase in proficiency?'

[Kind of. But the system can only notice you of the general increase in proficiency. The understanding of the art however rely solely on you, host]

"Something to ponder more frequently, noted." Greid then got up from his bed and started to look for the public bathroom. Despite the medical bed which already cleaned him up daily, Greid felt that taking a bath on his own was better.

"This is the usual feeling. I really hope that water access and supply will remain as it is. Otherwise, I have to go around just to keep them running." Greid took some time to clean himself and noticed that his body was more fit. He also grabbed his right arm and felt that the movement was the same as always.

Greid also sorted out his system inventory since some new items were stored there. They came because of the daily tasks given by the system which changed with his circumstances.

 

[Inventory:

-Psyche Enhancement Pill  (Grade: N)

-Recovery Fluid Potion x 2  (Grade: N)

-Foundation Mechanic Knowledge Card (Grade: N+)

-Foundation Artificial Intelligence Knowlede Card (Grade: N+)

-Foundation Automaton Knowledge Card (Grade: N+)

-SR Grade Random Selection Ticket]

 

Three consumables and three cards from the daily tasks.

"What is this card, system? I know you explain to me that it works just like when I inserted memory card to my device but where can I insert this knowledge card?" Greid asked because he could not understand how to use and apply these cards to himself.

[Apologize for not making something clear to the Host. If the Host choose to use any card you have in the future, you have to channel your imaginary energy to the card first. Then let your mind relax because some important informations are implanted to your memories while the rest will be recalled when you reach a certain level of proficiency]

"Just like when I receive Imaginary Energy Refining Art, good enough for me." Greid tidied up his items and weapon before he wore his clothes. But he had a change of shirt due to his injury and his pant remain the same. His shirt has a trail of origin energy attribute in its fabrics.

After checking for everything Greid could bring with him, he went to the most important location in the Control Center.

 

His footsteps were quite loud when he was around the research and development section. This place was newly modified by Hedrik because originally, the place was not assigned for something yet. The floor was made from some kind of metal alloy and Greid's shoes made a loud noise with each step, creating a strange melody.

Then Greid saw lots and lots of mechanical parts, production devices all around the large space in front of him. He could vaguely guess that this facility was related to Hedrik's profession, Cybernetic and Utilization.

'As expected of a big shot!' Greid inwardly raised a thumbs up for Hedrik. For an important character of this world, this planet that the system reognize to had thse facilities was within acceptable range of awe for Greid.

"Boy, you are good already." Hedrik was monitoring several holograpic panels when he said the greetings.

"Ehm, yeah. Since I am healthy enough, I am ready to help you and Shena." Greid replied and relayed his condition. But Hedrik gave him a pointed stare which made Greid's hair stand on its end.

'I really like the mint flavored imaginary pill already. It is good to ease my tense just like in this case.' Greid remembered when he ate one of the rewards from the daily tasks, his six attributes imaginary energy increased a bit and it tasted good that Greid imprinted its taste.

"You don't even have enough battle experience and awareness. Furthermore, we humans are not suitable for head-on comfrontation with the Infiltrators. Truthfully, you are the first one to do so and come back alive and in one piece." Hedrik's tone was flat but Greid could not open his mouth for some reasons.

"I...know." Greid realized that his action was one of full recklessness but if he himself could not even defend himself, he would become the weak spot for the enemies to exploit even if he created powerful armaments and automatons. But explaining it so that one can understand was not something Greid could even think of do.

"Even so, I believe that the humanity itself should improve. Not just their gears and armaments, the humans themselves have to improve. That is what I believe, sir."

 

 

0