Chapter 5 Wargames Part 1
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Authors note "I apologze for it being so short I will do my best to make it longer on weekends")

 

Mikael was glancing over a map of fortifications surrounded by his officers as Alexei walked in to report news about the first wall. Clearly a look of frustration was showing in his face as he glanced helplessly at his officers and then to Alexei

"Legate Mikael, its still a stalemate over in the first wall, however I don't have any clue as to how to break it, we can try to flank them with light cavalry as they assault us with siege towers but it will be in vain due the overwhelming firepower of the 4th legion."

"I know I see how difficult it is do have any suggestions tribune?" replied Mikael, as a fire pot exploded near by spreading green flames of Greek fire to nearby battlements.

"Legate I think we should counter attack, we should give up the first wall and retire our ballistas to the much higher second wall where there out of current enemy range, If we collapse the entrances leading up to the first wall and trap them upstairs we can have free reign to pelt them."

"Thats nonsense, respectfully tribune there has to be a better way to counter attack" replied a disgruntled officer "Ive already lost half my cohort on the first wall."

"Are you also forgetting that the 4th legion is held at bay due to the ballistas threatening their siege crews you should now that when they come and find the first wall is no longer manned we risk the keep being targeted as well."

"Hmmm, what cohorts still have their full strength?" smiled Mikael "I suspect you want to gamble my life as you sally out to sandwich them tribune?"

"Yes Legate" smiled Alexei whose face a was now blossoming in excitement.

"Very well I will take the front and have the 1st cohort hold the line" replied Mikael "Hurry get me battle dressed and inform the front of my arrival have the 1st cohort take the front and relive the 5th."

"Your a cold blooded woman, truly deserving of the mastermind of the Corpse Maker" replied a legion commander however despite the harsh name a clear cut of respect could be heard in the those words.

....

Mikael donned his black armor and straddled his war horse looking at the walls he beckoned for his officers to follow.

As they reached the front Mikael could see the damaged structures and raging fires along with hundreds of demigods standing by for orders, their calm demeanor clearly showed their decades of experience, their golden eagle standard and custom emblems gave off their proud heritage and achievements, one cohort stood out from the rest however.

Every cohort that was on standby, were shoulder to shoulder however this cohort had a massive gap on either side clearly isolating it from the rest, on its standard was a completely black eagle looking down on the world and its emblem was the simplest of all a skull with a golden wreath in its teeth behind it a big 1 was embroidered.

The officers next to Mikael looked in awe at the 1st cohort, many of them had heard about how many battles it participated in and how narrowly it avoided complete annihilation numerous times.

"The 1st cohort, show off as always" said one officer

"The Devils Tragic Story huh, no matter how many times I go in to battle Im always in awe of the 1st." said another

"The only cohort with surviving members dating back to the previous Legate, how it must have been an honor to serve beside the 1st during its inception"

"ATTENTION" beckoned one of Mikael officers, immediately the thousands of legionnaires gathered stood straight and proud puffing their chests out with pride.

Mikael strode up to the legion and uttered his orders in an almost amused voice "Men guess what crazy idea your tribune come up with"

Everyone's ears perked up as they rarely saw the commander smile " She wants us to fall back to the second wall an use the 1st and I as the perfect bait, so now I need these orders followed to a teeth, have the remaining cohorts collapse the first walls entrance and take apart our ballistas. Now be prepared for the hell that will rain down as their catapults with be in range."

The men quickly organized themselves in marching order and move to the castle walls second gate. Looking up one could see up close how massive the 40 meter high walls and gloming towers were, around them they could see the engineer corps hastily constructing massive trenches and wicked fireball traps that would sizzle any incoming attacker. as they stood they saw the massive oak doors open and reveal the chaos that was the first wall.

Barely anything stood higher then 3 stories, rubble and fires were everywhere and frantic damage control efforts were taking place to prevent more damage, however efforts were in vain as a yell blared across the battlefield "INCOMING" whereupon hundreds of firepots and boulders lit up the blue sky and shook the ground with every impact, the men could here men being tossed like rag dolls or crushed by the sheer weight of the boulders. The fires kept getting worse and worse spreading ever closer to the second gate , the smell of sizzling flesh was also noticeable.

"They deserve praise for holding this long, I have to envy the 4th legion for its mastery of siege warfare, hopefully Alexei's plan works" thought Mikael

Mikael could see he came just in time as the men of the 5th and other cohorts came up hauling siege equipment and looking relieved as they knew they would be withdrawn, no longer to suffer the continuous effort of putting out fires or stationing the night watch.

" CENTURION MILES" commanded Mikael, and a dark skinned man walked out from the ranks of the first legion, he wore the cohorts signature plate black armor and helmet, his face was hidden in a black scarf but one could tell the decades of experience emanating from this man, he held the standard gladius with its black blade and gold engravings, on his back a blood red cloak was draped over his shoulders and embroidered in it was the legions eagle with the golden wreath.

"Yes Legate" replied Miles as he saluted Mikael

"Take the 1st 3rd and 4th cohort to the front we will act as the rear guard have the 2nd and 8th engineer cohort to help reinstall those ballistas,"

Miles relayed his orders and began to march out the gate his sword raised high and proud " FORWARD FOR HADES" he yelled "PREPARE FOR INCOMING MISSILES"

As soon as it was mentioned yet another salvo came bearing down on the retreating 5th, but the destrction of flying men and bone didn't come instead what followed was the explosion of multiple missiles and a massive dark shield that stopped incoming projectiles. Everyone looked at Mikael who instead of holding the normal gladius held a wicked 3 meter scythe adorned with silver threads and silver stars almost as if it was taken off a lunar plane, the blade was as bright as the full moon and black handle shone countless glimmering stars of the night sky.

"QUINN ITS ME MIKAEL, COME AND CHALLENGE MY FIRST I KNOW THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT." as Mikael pointed his scythe to the sky, clearly he ignored the amazement of his legionaries and beckoned his beloved 1st to move closer to the front.

Almost as if the the opposing Legate heard him a single boulder with the message "enjoy the rain first" was crudely carved in the rock.

"HAHAHAHAA a battle of strengths then." snorted Mikael. "Miles, order the men to form testudo its about to downpour.

0