📗 Chapter 12: Losses
109 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A month has passed following the most recent attack of the Kakross on Vahli Prime.

Last week I visited my doctor again, you know, the arrogant one. He seems convinced now that humans are in some way connected to the Vahli. But he still has no working theory to explain my changing body. The only difference to Earth is the "nourishment" I eat here.  Well...bathing is different too. And the air maybe? I don't know, it's just a mystery for the moment. I don't think they will allow other humans on board anymore, just as a precaution to prevent bodily changes.
And let me tell you...one month here surely changes your body!

According to the doc, my wings have now fully formed. He told me they are retractable but I haven't managed to do that so far. So for the time being I have to be careful not to sleep on them, or it will hurt. It took me a while to realize and admit to myself that at this point I wasn't human anymore. But the fun didn't stop with that realization, no... 

It seems mother nature has more in store for me...my nose this time. You remember when I told you their noses resemble a cat's? Yep, you got it...mine is slowly starting to look like that too. At this point only my ears and my teeth seem to be unaffected. God, I hope I won't be losing my teeth. My skin tone is getting a bit more like theirs too. There is no way I will ever return to my previous, human appearance.

I can't go back to school now or work on Earth. There's no way I would be able to return to a "normal" life there. Well...assuming we'll EVER return there. No...this is my home now. So I'd better accept this new reality.

Miwa on the other hand is doing just fine. Queens seem to grow mature particularly fast compared to other people eh...workers. She's only a bit shorter than I am, but taller than others aboard, just like it should be. Only yesterday did she receive her royal retainer, a young lady named Orho.

I don't know how I feel about that name, but perhaps it's a translator thing. Well, I'll have to get used to it anyway. Yesterday evening was the moment that marked Miwa's ascension into adulthood for me. It was the moment she moved into her own personal alcove, together with her retainer. It was an emotional moment for all of us. Miwa probably didn't see me smile when she picked up her Rasha plushie. I guess a small part of her is still fond of it.

Miwa actually does resemble me in many ways. Some human mannerisms, the way she rolls her eyes or the hair style she prefers.....in many things I see a part of myself. Well, that's probably what you get for having a young one call you "mother" for a few months. A few months...that was all it took for her to grow up. Amazing.

But she's still inexperienced in many ways, so just as we promised, Aine and I are helping her address topics in her throne room. But those days are getting less and less. She can take care of most issues, but she needs so much more experience of life itself. I wish I could show her Japan, go shopping, or even hiking. But the only thing she can experience is the Hive and all that relates to that. Bottom line...she needs to get out soon. And today is such a day..finally!

[ Visiting the Empress ]

Miwa, Aine and I are invited to meet the Empress. I decided against bringing Miwa's retainer along. It would be a bit much.

She has expressed an interest in Miwa, who is her biological daughter, but she also just wanted to see us all. Not to discuss strategies, but to simply see her friends from the Huntress again.

We just boarded a small transport ship that will take us down to the planet.

The launch was gentle, compared to an interceptor's launch. None of us are speaking as this is quite the experience. Finally back in space! Well....seeing space that is.

The transport leaves the Huntress behind and makes a gentle left-turn until the planet comes into view. 

It is mostly a green world, with less oceans compared to Earth. Otherwise it looks much like Earth, I see clouds, continents, ice on the poles. 

The ship makes a gently humming sound, very different from the interceptor's high powered engines.

We slowly approach the atmosphere on the day-side of the planet and then start descending to the southernmost continent. I see more details now, rivers, deserts....this planet is a beauty for sure. There are also dark patches...probably remnants of the Kakross attack.

We are descending further and further, now flying straight like a passenger plane on Earth, just below the clouds. Many forests can be seen, but also clusters of what must be their ancient Hives. They are densely packed, with much green around them.

After getting clearance from Control, the transport slowly lands on an area where lights are blinking on the ground.

The pilot then says "we have arrived at the Imperial Palace. I'm opening the door now."
The door behind us opens slowly while making that signature hydraulic sound. I thank the pilot and my friends follow me outside. None of us has ever been here before, so I just go with the flow.

The first thing I notice is that it's pretty warm here. Like summer hot-warm. Is that their normal temperature here? Or is it really just summer at the moment?

The sky is not the typical blue, but has a more purple hue. A true alien planet. At least the clouds are white. There is a gentle breeze, welcoming us. The air smells fresh, rural, if that makes any sense.

I take a look around and see that this is no metropolis. It looks like a rural town, far from the next city. If I didn't know any better, I would say that this is a farming planet. But then again, appearances can be deceiving. We are standing on something resembling a concrete runway. But it's actually a path that leads to a building in front of us. It'll take us about five minutes to walk all that way. To my left and right are endless fields with brown-golden crops. Grain, perhaps?

"Alright, let's go." I said. Just like I did, everyone was taking in the view for a moment...but we can't let the Empress wait.

While walking towards the building ahead of us, we see that it's not finished. Their equivalent of cranes are building new sections as we speak. Hovering transport ships are carrying massive walls that just seem to slide into position effortlessly.

When we are about a minute away from the entrance, a guard walks over to us. 

"Please come no further. May I inquire what your business is?"

"Of course." I said. "The Empress has requested us to visit here. I am Queen Akari, this is Queen Miwa and this is my personal retainer and friend Aine."

I saw Aine smiling from the corner of my eye.

"Then you are most welcome here. Please follow me until the entrance. An attendant will guide you to our Empress."

"Thank you, that's very much appreciated."  I need to play ultra polite here, or they will be asking me for an ID soon.

We followed the guard to the entrance where a female attendant bowed to us. I swear, this attendant escaped from an anime series. She's the typical polite, kind maid. Even her uniform mostly resembles a maid's.

"Honored guests of Her Majesty the Empress, I am Vaha, your attendant for today. Welcome to the Imperial Palace. Please, would you follow me?"

She didn't leave any opening for introductions...so I guess we don't have to.

We follow her inside and I feel the need to remove my shoes, but I guess nobody cares here either. The floors and walls of this well-lit place resemble white marble. There are those plants again, but no Jujus to be seen. There are no carpets, though. But there are statues! 

Vaha then suddenly breaks the silence. "Her Majesty apologizes for the state of this Palace. It is currently being rebuilt."

Are you kidding? This is the most expensive looking building I have ever seen! But I have to play the role of an unimpressed Queen, don't I? "Thank you, Vaha, it is alright. We are here for Her Majesty, not for the building."

"You are too kind, Queen Akari." She doesn't look at me, but simply keeps walking.

See! They know exactly who we are!

I see sunlight entering the building, creating a beautiful natural light everywhere. The ceiling has many glass domes, allowing even more sunlight to enter.

Vaha stops and says "please wait here for a moment. I will announce your arrival to Her Majesty."

I nodded while smiling. She's polite. Very.

Knock knock.

"Yes?"  That's the voice of our Empress alright.

"Your Majesty, your guests, Queen Akari and company have arrived."

"Show them in."

Vaha opens the doors and says "you may now enter."

"Thank you, Vaha." I give her a sincere smile.

She only bows and closes the doors behind us. A bit too formal for my taste...but I guess it's what the Empress demands.

"Please, friends. Enter our lounge. Be at home." The Empress said while motioning us to move towards her. 

The lounge truly resembles what I would expect from royalty. Comfortable looking chairs....with backrests....and handcrafted wooden tables. The walls are adorned with paintings. Flowering plants are everywhere. This place is unlike anything on the Huntress. It breathes a welcome atmosphere, a place of luxury but also somehow of "home."

The Empress first walks over to Miwa and says "our daughter, you are now an adult. Please let us embrace you."

Miwa bows and says "My Empress, without any disrespect, my mother is Queen Akari."

I facepalmed while shaking my head. And things went so well until now. The Empress noticed this but simply smiled at me. 

"Ho ho ho....our own child rejects us. Strong willed, not unlike Akari. Say, Akari, haven't you told her that we are her mother?"

"We have...eh....I mean I have. She means that she accepts me as her mother but also you as her biological mother, don't you Miwa?" I have to be careful not to start that royal speech. My glare was enough to convince Miwa to play ball here.

"Yes, Empress. You are my biological mother."  Miwa said. 

Miwa seems a bit reluctant, but knows how to play a game.

"Mmm.....we still don't feel any better. But that is what we get for abandoning you to Akari. Akari, you did a truly remarkable job. Miwa seems perfect for her role as Queen of the Huntress."

"Thank you, Empress. But Miwa is more than that. I do see her as my daughter. We....we are family."

I see Miwa smiling. I know she needed that. 

"Amazing. You...are family. Very well, we give you our blessing. However, we must now inform you both that Akari is released from her motherly obligations. We do not mind your continued cooperation, but the obligation as once placed upon Akari is now released. This also means that Queen Miwa is now in control of the Huntress. Akari...do you understand us?"

"Yes, Empress. I have no control over the Huntress or its people anymore."

"Very good. We do not mind you helping our Miwa...even though she rejects us." The Empress gives Miwa a mischievous look. 

Miwa on the other hand seems to feel uncomfortable...her mother is the Empress after all.

"Queen Akari, as for you. We will allow you and Aine to rest. Enjoy a period of tranquility here in our palace. We know it doesn't look like a proper palace yet, but we still hope you can appreciate the present company. Oh, and please sit down." 

She motions us to sit down on an expensive looking sofa. Well, everything is probably expensive here.

"Yes, my Empress. Aine and I would love to relax here. Especially after my...bodily changes."
We all take a seat on the sofa, while the Empress sits down in a comfortable looking chair in front of us. 

"Yes, we have noticed, but did not wish to confront you with those. Are they painful?"

"No, no, not at all. It's just..I don't know. I don't know where I belong anymore."

"We see your point. Haven't we taken you into our...family as you call it?"

I see Vaha entering the room, she brings us something to drink. Again something similar to Earth's customs. A beautiful teacup is now placed in front of each of us. 

No sugar, cream, just a teacup. And it's a large one, not those fragile fancy flowery cups you see in movies. It doesn't appear to have a handle...so.....let's watch the Empress first.

"Thank you Vaha," I said when she gave me my cup. But she doesn't reply.

"Eh...sorry, yes, Empress, I meant no disrespect."

"Relax, Akari. We know what you meant. Does the appearance in the mirror offend you that much?" 

"No! I...oh my god...how do I say it....am I even human anymore?"

"We believe you are still Akari..no matter how you look. Your doctor confirms that you are healthy and resemble us more and more each day. We were sincere when we said that you were our child."

"Thank you....mother.." I said. I know...she just wants to hear it, right?

"Ah....now that's better. How about it, Miwa? Can you follow her example and address me as such?"

"Yes.....mother." Miwa said. She seems reluctant, and I can feel the tension in the room rise. This was more a ...political reply.

"Mmm...let us call it progress. Miwa, you are our child. And Akari's as well. We see no issue in this."

The room fell silent for a moment. Miwa and I exchanged uncomfortable glances. We both know the Empress is up to something. Why else bring us here? Or is she sincere....and have us here on a holiday? You never know with royalty like her.

"We see you are uncomfortable. We apologize..it's just...we have been feeling lonely...so far away from our beloved Hive. We did not mean for you to feel sad. But we still have our orders for you, such is the task of an Empress. We don't get much time to spend with our loved ones."

"My Empr....mother....why don't you just come and visit us? The Huntress would be happy to have the Empress visit."

"Akari, we thank you. But our duty forbids it. We cannot leave until after we have had our revenge. Until we are victorious....our place will be here. That reminds us of your place, Miwa. After our dinner you shall leave for the Huntress. Alone."

"Mom!" Miwa looks to me, instead of the Empress.

I want to reassure her, but the Empress continues "Miwa, we are not pulling you apart. Your....mother....and Aine shall join you tomorrow. You shall get used to being a Queen quickly now. They won't always be at your side."

"Yes, Empress." The very cold reply from a pouting Queen Miwa didn't go unnoticed.

"Child, your words do not hurt us. You are a Queen, act like one. You are our child whether you accept us or not. We are also your Empress. You have your orders and shall do as we say. We do not look forward to punishing you for showing disrespect. Besides we truly mean well for you, but you are obviously much too young to comprehend."

"Yes, mother, as you wish."  Miwa said, showing a complete surrender to the Empress in her voice.

"That's more like it. Remember...we are all family. We mean well. Miwa...visit us more often. That is not an order....but a motherly request for we miss you."

"I...I will. I promise." Miwa said. A cautious smile formed on her lips. Excellent, I already asked her to smile more.

"Good. And back to you, dear Akari. Aine shall continue to support you in your role as Queen. But not on the Huntress. We have other plans for you. We would ask you to spend the night in our palace and keep us company. In the morning you will return to the Huntress until we have found a new Hive for you. Those are our orders."

"Yes...mother. As you wish."  I was disappointed, but she's the Empress. I made sure that my voice sounded respectful.

"Excellent, Akari. See Miwa? You will have more time to spend with your mother. Enjoy your time together for a while. But there will be a moment when we shall take her from you. Two Queens on a Hive are not an option. Oh..and we saw that hint of inspiration in your eyes, Akari. No, we won't be taking away your role. We need you to show your improvements as you call them to our other Queens. Some are a bit....troubled by your changes. You will change their minds....or we will.

We can't possibly let you deal with those when we strip you of your title. But we are getting ahead of ourselves. There is much time before you will start in your new role. And even when you do, we won't keep you away from our Miwa. That is our promise."

"Thank you, mother." Miwa and I say simultaneously, causing an instant smile to form on the Empress's lips. 

"Now that we have concluded our business talk..would you join us for an evening meal?"

"A..meal? As in...nourishment?" I asked. The Empress looked at me with sparkling eyes...ah right. I get it, I get it! "...eh...mother?"

"Ah, yes my daughter. You are now in our homeworld. The true home for all of us, and yours too, Akari. This is your true home. You will see that our world has more to offer than the nourishment that has sustained your bodies. Come and see for yourselves."

Okay, I guess no time for the tea then? Maybe they'll get us a fresh cup later. 

We follow the Empress to a room adjacent to this lounge and find a rather large table with lots and lots of food. Am I salivating? Oh god, just look at that food. Food! Glorious food!

"We are pleased that you seem to approve. Those are fruits from our southern region. Game from our closest forest. And the purest of water from our spring. Please, sit down and enjoy!"

We all take a seat. I sit opposite of the Empress, and on my right sits Miwa. Aine sits next to the Empress, on her left. 

"I have never seen anything like it!" Miwa sounds like a normal teenager now. Briefly unaware of her duties as a Queen.

But the Empress wouldn't be an Empress if she didn't take this opportunity to correct her.
"We cannot ask this of Akari....as her wisdom is many years more than our own." That's a nice way to say that I'm way older than her. But still....she's the Empress, so I smile and nod. 

The Empress then says "But you, Miwa. You shall learn to speak properly. Always when you are in public we expect your speech to resemble our own."

"I..eh....We understand, Empress."  Miwa tried, she really tried.

"Very well. You are quick to understand, we are pleased. Now prepare to eat."

Prepare....to eat? What does that mean? I wonder how they can eat this without any teeth. 

And....there you have it....this reminds me of an alien movie...my god....! Sharp fangs and teeth form in the Empress's mouth. She looks absolutely terrifying now!

"We must apologize to Akari. We assume you never knew that we could look...this menacing? It's our natural defense. Just like you, we have teeth to eat and to defend us with."

Miwa looks surprised at me. I guess she didn't know either. Aine on the other hand has an equally dangerous array of teeth ready. My god....these are killer bees!

"Miwa, we see that you look surprised. Just think of eating....we want you to experience this as well."

She nods...and then...   "Ahhhhh!!!!! Mom!! It hurts!!!!!" 

I look at Miwa, and am beyond flabbergasted to see a few drops of blood form on her lips. I want to jump up and help her, but the Empress takes hold of my arm.

"She's fine, Akari...trust us. Miwa, are you alright now?"

"mprsss hurrrt  ahh"

"Yes, exactly as we thought. You need to learn how to speak with those teeth. Don't worry, Miwa is absolutely fine. This is our coming of age ritual. It is only shared between...close family...and even then mostly in our home world."  

"But....why? Why hurt her like this?" I still have difficulties with this seemingly barbaric way. She could have prepared her for this!

"As we said. It marks the transition from child to adult. Everyone who first sets foot on our soil will be asked to perform the ritual. In Hiveships this is only required of guards. For the others this is optional, as there is no real need for teeth."

Oh my god....will that happen to me too? I hope to have my current teeth for a very, very long time.

"We know your concern, Akari. We would expect the same from you....should your teeth change as well."

Wonderful, just great. "Yes, mother. We are looking forward to it." I rolled my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Ha ha ha....well said. And Miwa, don't worry. This only happens once. From now on your teeth will retract or extend without the pain. It just takes some time getting used to."

"Thaa youu mothhhaaaa" 

"Alright. And now...please eat."

"Itadakimasu" I said out loud after folding my hands in prayer.

"Interesting...what does that mean? Is it a prayer?" The Empress asked.

"Well, sort of. It is proper etiquette to say it before a meal. It is a way to give thanks for the meal, but also to respect the effort, the plants, the animals, anything that contributed to the meal."

"Ho ho....that is quite respectful. We have a similar expression. Miwa, do you know it?"

"No mother, please teach us."

"Hmm....you seem to be able to speak properly already. Impressive. We don't know what words the  translator uses for you Akari...but we say we honor the spirits who surrendered their bodies so we might eat." 

"Wow, that's almost the same...I'd love to hear the actual words."

"You shall, my dear. As we are asking you to learn our language as well."

"Huuuuuh?  You...you want me to learn your language?" Is she pulling my leg?

"No....we want you to learn OUR language. You are of us. It is part of US. We are ONE. One Hive, one people, one culture, one language. Besides, what would you do when the translator stopped working?"

"Ah eh...that already happened. We..eh...I felt lost."

"There you have it. Our point has been proven already. Aine, we ask you to take care of this. Try it yourself as Akari doesn't have our genetic imprint."

"Of course, my Empress. It would be my honor to teach her our language."

"Well said. Now let us stop talking and start enjoying this food. We have already expressed our gratitude for it, we mustn't let it go to waste."

The fruit was quite delicious. Finally, after so many months...real food. My teeth don't know what's happening...it really is delicious. I love the chewing sensation. The waffles were the only things that I could chew, and they were soft. So this is just extra delicious.

While there's also actual water, my current drink is not water, but some other form of liquid nourishment, I guess. Almost like wine, it has a very gentle taste to it. Something fruity like peach or something similar. I love it. The Empress seems happy that I enjoy it so much, she gives me that warm, motherly smile again.

"Akari, dear?"

"Yes, mother?"

"How are your wings?"

"Oh, they only matured last week. I don't seem to be able to move them, let alone retract them."

"Hmmmm......we remember when we first practiced. We believe that Aine could have told you, but she must want you to take your time, right?"  

Aine nods. 

The Empress stands up, walks to my chair and traces my wings with her fingers. It makes me shiver and gives me goosebumps.

"As expected from your response. They are ready to be used. Akari, concentrate and feel your wings. Try to reproduce the feeling on the same spot I just touched."

I focused on that spot and..."bzz.....bzz..." 
"Wow....that felt so strange...they moved!" 

"Of course they did. With a bit more practice you will be able to fly."

"Huh? I....fly?"

"Ha ha ha....you and Miwa still need to learn a lot it seems. Why do you think we have wings? To fly of course. Aine, you have your work cut out for you. Teach them that too."

"Yes, my Empress. Gladly."

"And for now Akari....focus on that spot again...and pretend that the feeling slowly travels from the tip of your wing back into your spine."

Alright....here goes nothing... "bzzz bbbzzz bzzzzzz.. ahhhh!" It didn't hurt, but it felt so strange!

"Excellent Akari. They are now retracted. Practice that when you have time."

"Wow....yes mother...thank you for teaching me that!"

"You are most welcome, my daughter."

I could see Miwa trying the same. 

"Miwa dear....we see that it is too early for you. Your wings need a bit more time. Maybe only a week more."

"Yes, mother!"

"We are happy to see you smile."

Miwa now gives the Empress a warm smile. They are finally getting along.

 

 

After dinner it was time for Miwa to return to the Huntress. We said our goodbyes, then two guards escorted her "home." Neither Aine, Miwa or I were happy with this, but orders are orders. Besides, we'll see her again tomorrow.

The Empress guides us back to the lounge and more of that peach liquid is poured for us in those tea cups. But it's hot this time. So that's what it was.

"Did you both enjoy the dinner?" The Empress asks.

"Yes, it was truly delicious. I longed so much for that. Especially that.fff.fff....what the?"

"Huh? What is wrong, Akari?" Aine said. The Empress was curious as well.

"Oh my god...I must have eaten something too hard. I lost a tooth."

"Is that....normal for your body? Otherwise you would need to see our doctor."

"Eh....they are not supposed to fall out like this. Only when we are young our teeth fall out, to be replaced by mature teeth. But never again after that moment."

"We see...interesting. Do you need medical help at once?" 

"No.....I will survive....I guess. But it still sucks...eh...I mean...I don't like it."

"Mmm...of course. Maybe have another drink? It makes you feel better, we promise." 

I see that another cup has stealthily been added next to the teacup. A smaller one. I take a sip....this....is this alcohol? No.......

"Mother....are you trying to make me drunk?"

"Drunk? We don't fully understand. This will warm your insides and help digest your food better. It also numbs pain."

"Eh....but why am I feeling so very warm suddenly?"

"Oh....that's....you're probably not used to it, yet. Trust us, it will help you feel more comfortable."

"So it really is alcohol....my god...I feel it already. I'm....feeling dizzy." Huh? Just after one sip? What is that stuff? Is it poisoned?

"Mmmm...that's unexpected. We assume your body is not liking this. We must apologize.....and ask you to stop drinking now."

"I...oh....god.....the room....it's spinning." I stand up but can't focus. What was that stuff? No alcohol does that....or does it?

Aine stands up and takes my arm to help me stabilize. 

"Oh, Akari....what have we done? Nivri!" The Empress shouts.

Immediately a door opens and a male guard approaches, running over to the Empress.
"Empress, how may I serve?"

"Nivri, these are our guests. We have given this one nectar, but her body cannot handle it yet. Please help her to her room so she may rest. She may hurt herself otherwise."

The whole world seems different now. Ha ha ha...the Empress looks like a small child now. So cuuuute!  And Aine.....ugh....she looks just weeird. But that Nivri... 
"Soo.....you....arrrr.....that...Nivri...fellow? You look......so...woooooowwwwwww..... So...handsome.." I don't know why I said that..but it feels so good.

I feel my wings extend and they are buzzing! 

I fall forwards....directly into his arms. Am I..am I blushing? Or is it just the alcohol?

"Oh no....no no no....oh noooo....." Aine said. "Please ignore her, Nivri...she can't help herself."

"Don't be alarmed, I can handle this." He bends down and his arms bend against the back of my knees, forcing them to give in...until he princess-carries me!

"Nivriiiiiiiiiii...wha sha doin?"  Is the only sound that leaves my mouth.

"Take her to her room at once, Nivri. Aine, see to it that her condition doesn't get any worse. We shall alert the medical team."

"Yes, Empress, as you command."

"Nivriiiiii.... hi hi hi..hi....your eyes are sooooooooooo blueeeee."

I must have imagined it...but I think I heard the Empress say "hmmm.....well, he's still young, but it seems there is chemistry. You have our blessing."

Nivri seems to blush as well...yes I can see that now! But he simply ignores me and we leave through the door, and another one of those extremely boring alcoves is waiting for me. No furniture, just an alcove. What's WRONG with these people? Boorrrring!

He puts me in my alcove and leaves. Aine sits next to me, trying to keep me conscious I guess. But why? I'm perfectly fine! Oh she's just so funnnyyyy....."hi hi hi...Aine...you look so funny..."

"No, Akari...it's the nectar. It was too much for you."

"Excuse me...I hear there was a medical emergency here?" A voice outside the alcove shouts.

Oh god, don't shout! It hurts! 

"Yes, here please. She drank nectar, but her body can't handle it yet."

"Hiya doc......you're soooo fwwwunny......"

"Really? How strange. Let's see....yep, exactly as you say. Here....this will help her stay safe and calm."

The doctor injects something in my neck...

"Doctor will she be.."  

But I can't hear anything else anymore...I feel soooooo sleepy...I....I....z.zzzzzzzzzzzz.

[ Midnight turmoil ]

I was fast asleep when I heard something like an explosion. It made me sit upright in a split second.

"My god...what was that?"  I said out loud. Where....ah...the Palace, right.

At that same time the alarms sound. This time a very loud "mwaa mwaa mwaa mwaa"  not unlike a truck's horn.

The lights in our "alcove" room turn on to full brightness automatically. 

I jump out of bed, first surprised to see that I'm dressed in another type of uniform and then run into the corridor, trying to see what's going on. Oh, and I'm barefoot. 

My god...my head....this is a lousy time to have a migraine. I massage my forehead, but it isn't working and the alarm isn't helping either.

"Akari..are you alright?" Aine shouts from behind me. Ah right...she was supposed to sleep here as well. Wait...when did we go to sleep? Whatever, not now.

"Yes, I'm fine....I think.....what is it with these explosions all the time?"

She gives me that "Huh?" look.  Well, nevermind then.

She joins me and we both stare into the corridor. Guards are running...away from the Empress's chambers? What the heck is going on? Shouldn't they be protecting her?

"Aine, follow them and see if you can help. I'm going to the Empress."

"Yes, Akari." She already followed the guards before I had realized it.

Huh? She just did what I asked? No discussions? No questi....whatever...I need to go.

I'm about to run to the Empress's sleeping chambers when I hear another explosion.... 
Well, just "hearing" is an understatement, the whole area shook like a magnitude 6 earthquake. I fall down and need a second to stand up again. Definitely no earthquake...this was another explosion! 

The lights in the corridor are flashing..until they go dark. Then emergency lights activate...but they only barely help me see. Who designs something as stupid as that?!

I head left, and very close to her chambers I find an object sticking out of the outer wall! What IS that thing?

The two guards who were stationed before her quarters seem to have died due to the shockwave, and the Empress's door is blocked by debris. I can't take her to safety.

Two more guards are rushing this way. "Get away from that! NOW!"  They shout at me.

I step back immediately....they must know what to do. Thank god that they didn't fire on me! Maybe these people have a better night vision than I do?

I see smoke coming out of the object. Something green is flashing through the smoke....
Oh crap...that's a bomb...isn't it?

But what do I do? My instinct is to run away...but should I leave the Empress here? 

But my thoughts are quickly interrupted....something made the choice for me. Some part of the object blasts away, debris hitting one guard in his face. He died on impact. My god...no....

"Guards!!! I need guards NOW!!!!" The guard is shouting for reinforcements.

My worst fears are becoming true.  A Kakross is stepping out of...whatever it is.

The training from my pilot days kicked in and an idea flashed in my mind. I quickly bend down and pick up one of the guard's guns. This time, I think, I'm going to need it...

The Kakross has now exited the pod while the guard is shooting at it. It has big, red, glowing eyes. It growls....the exact same creepy thing as back on Earth! It makes a terrifying deep sound with its wings. It sounds much bigger than it is....but still big. Too big.

The Kakross shouts out in pain,  "iiiiiiiiiii!",  but he is stronger and taller than any of us. He seems quite resilient to laser fire as well. No..he's wearing a protective suit...crap.

He grips the guard by his throat and crushes it by sheer muscle power only.  CRACK. The guard's limbs go lifeless.

Oh my god....I'm next!   

I step back and fire....and keep firing it at his knee until it screeches. "iiiiiiiiiiii...hisssssss.....you Vahli vermin!  DIE!!!!"

I run away and turn around once to see that it's still following me. It's taking aim and is about to fire! But these corridors are like a big circle, making it difficult to shoot in a straight line across a large distance.

But even then I have another advantage, I can run...it can't anymore.

I wait behind a statue for it to show again, and set the weapon to the maximum setting. Why the hell didn't they do that in the first place?!

Wait...here it comes...

An eerie singing voice is taunting me "grrrrr. Oh Vahli....where aaare you? Be nice and your death shall be painless. Where do you keep that filthy Empress of yours? Mmmmm? What do you say? Do you want to die together?"

Crap...the bastard is coming for me. Where the heck are the reinforcements? Is this it? Am I going to die? Crap. FOCUS AKARI...FOCUS.

Alright..you wanna play? Come for me.  

I then see it again..barely visible in the emergency light. Its wings are producing a terrifying low sound. Making it sound like a monster is heading my way. Well, it actually is a monster. Oh no...no no no.....he found me. Maybe waiting for him wasn't such a good idea after all.

He spots me! And fires...the first shots hit a door behind me. I quickly turn around so I can take aim around the corner, but he manages to fire at my right calf.

"Aaaaaaaaa!"   God, that hurts!  I can't run anymore..I'm dead...soo dead! I fall to my knees and can't move anymore.

"Ha ha ha....yes Vahli vermin...it hurts..doesn't it? Huh? What? Ha ha ha ha! What exactly are you supposed to be? You must be the ugliest Vahli I've ever seen. Maybe I should put you out of your misery now. No...that's a shame. How about you tell me where to find your wretched Empress, or I will burn every part of you until you do. Mmmm? I am waaaaitinggggg..." 

I still have my weapon in my right hand. I don't think that it knows....but I need a distraction. 
"O..okay. She's there. There!"  I point to where he came from with my left hand.

It turns around...the idiot!! 

I take aim and fire....at his head this time. And this time the beam travels through his skull, leaving a big hole where first his mandibles were.
It falls down to the floor and shakes and moves wildly....until it stops moving...dead...very dead.

But there were two explosions...is there another one here? I have to be careful. Don't assume that this is over already.

 

Then I hear someone or something running behind me. "Cease fire..Cease fire!"

I point my weapon at the source of the sound until I see their face.

"Please...don't shoot me!" His voice tells me that I just scared the life out of him.

It's....Nivri!  

Oh crap...it's Nivri. I just remembered what happened....until the pain registered in my brain again.

I let my gun fall to the floor and shout "aaaaaaaa...."

"What's wrong, are you hurt?"

"Yes,...that Kakross.....he shot me. I'm not bleeding though...I think?"

"Did...did you kill him?" 

"Y...yes I did. It was horrific...it wanted to.....kill me."  I start crying.

"I see. Let's get you to the medical bay" He...he just picked me up in his arms!

"No...no..wait. We need to see the Empress!"

He mumbles something like "yes,...Queen Akari."

When we arrive at the Empress's chambers, the lights turn on again and three guards are already trying to open the doors. 

"Mmm....we didn't expect to see that.."  The Empress says, while seeing me in Nivri's arms.

I don't know what to say "no eh....I eh..."   My face is beyond red now.

"Akari...we are only joking. We thank you for coming to our rescue."

"Huh, how did you know? The doors were closed?"

"Simple.." she points upwards  "...there are sensors above the doors. I could see what happened. And I know you killed the Kakross."

Only now does my brain seem to catch up to what happened.

"Oh my god...My Empress! I killed someone! I never killed anything other than mosquitos in my life...how...!" Shouldn't I just have immobilized that one? Taken him prisoner? But killing him?

My thoughts are raging, moving in circles, when the Empress intervenes. She puts her hand on my right cheek, while I'm still in Nivri's arms.

"Akari....my daughter."

My thoughts go silent, while she moves close to my face. "Akari...let it go. Then think of it as a ..mosquito..I believe you said. It was either it or you. Believe us. It wouldn't mourn your death. You did the right thing." She then embraces me for a moment. "Thank you for saving us. Nivri..take her to the medical bay."

"Yes, my Empress."

He then took me to the medical bay while I couldn't stop crying. Not only from the pain, but also from...actually taking a life. A sentient life form, not unlike myself. Yes I know...self defense...but still...

 

After a short walk, Nivri brings me to the medical bay and puts me down on a biobed. 

"One moment, I'll be there in a second."  A female voice shouts this way, probably a doctor.

She then walks over to us and says "Empress...no...a Queen! How can I help you?"

She must have been confused by my uniform. Did they give me one of mother's? Ah..I mean the Empress?

"Doctor, I was shot by a Kakross....right....ouch...here. I don't know what their weapons are called. But it looked like a laser beam."  

"I see, I see. Mmm..yes...a standard disruptor beam. Don't worry, the injury is only superficial. You are quite lucky, if it hit you directly, you would not be lying here."

Oh my god....I...I...could have been dead?

"Ho ho...calm down...you will be fine."  She takes a hand scanner and checks my injuries to be certain it isn't worse than it looks.

"Nope, as I thought, only superficial. Wait a second."

"Ouch....yes....doc."

The doctor walks to a cabinet near the wall and takes something looking like a flashlight. Well, of course it isn't a flashlight, but how should I know what it is?

"Alright, this will sting a little." 

"A...ah....AAHHHHH! My god...A little??? It freaking hurts! Ahhhh."

"Sorry about that, but your wounds are now healed. Go ahead...put your hand on it and feel for yourself."

"Huh? It...really is..healed? Wow.. thank you doc!"

"You are most welcome. Just don't...."

"Ouch!"

"Yep....you didn't let me finish. I was about to say don't strain your muscles for a few days. But yeah...it'll hurt otherwise."

"Great...." I take a deep breath "thank you doctor. I......what the?"

Suddenly my legs and arms start flailing. They move as if they had a will of their own. I fall to the floor and feel that I'm about to go into a seizure.

"What is this?" The doctor shouts, using her scanner on me while forcefully opening my eyelids and looking for a cause.

She then runs to the cabinet, and takes something. I can't speak, I can barely see what's going on, but for some reason I'm not losing consciousness. There are all kinds of brilliant white lights moving and flashing before me. 

She injects something in my neck and my muscles instantly relax. I can't move...nothing moves anymore. 

"Help me put her on the bed again."

Nivri helps me and puts me on the bed.

"Alright...she seems stable now. Her...neurons are misfiring. I have never ever seen this before. Queen, are you alright?"

But I still can't speak. But I can hear her perfectly and my eyes are locked on to hers.

"She seems lucid." She takes another object, a pen or something like it, and moves it through my field of vision. I keep following it.

"Yes, she is fully aware. Alright, the misfiring is almost gone. I will cancel the sedative now.  Nivri,  what is her name?"

"Akari. Queen Akari."

She injects something in my neck again, and I slowly regain motor control. "Alright, Queen Akari. Are you feeling better? Is this the first time this happened?"

I try to sit upright and they help me.

"Oh my god. Thanks. both. I had an ep..ep.."  god, still having difficulty speaking. "Epi...  attack."

"An Epi...attack?

"no no....wait...words....good.."

"Ah, she's still recovering. Take your time. Believe it or not, you are the only person who got injured during the Kakross attack. I just received an update about what happened, see....here." She points to Nivri.

He reads the message. "Two Kakross probes entered the Palace, both of them having one Kakross aboard. One was killed by guards and the other by.....Queen Akari? Huh..?" He looks at me.

"You...you really killed one of those?"

I nod. Ok, my brain has finished rebooting.

"Yes, I did. I can't say I'm proud of it, but it was either him or me."

"mm...sounds like you are feeling better now," the doctor said.

"What? Oh yeah. I had an epilepsy attack. It happens when I experience extreme stress, or when I'm fatigued mostly. I was both." 

"Interesting. So this happens more often?"

"Usually about once a month, but it seems to happen less often since I have been aboard the Huntress. And this was the first time I didn't lose consciousness."

"Is it safe for you to return to your chambers, Queen Akari? Or do you need further medical assistance?" Nivri asked.

"No, I'm alright now. It's out of my system now. It shouldn't happen anymore...for a while at least. Thank you...both of you."

"Of course." Nivri says.

"Any time. If you need any help, or your wounds are still aching after a few days...come visit me."

"Thank you doctor. I appreciate it. But I think I will be leaving for my Hive soon."

"Yes, of course. I will send a report to your doctor on the...Huntress?"

"Yes, my Hive is the Huntress." Well, it's not technically MY Huntress, but let's not explain that.

"Alright then. If you'll excuse me, I need to prepare a report."

 

We then said our goodbyes and Nivri took me back to my alcove.....princess-carry style. The last thing I wanted to do was explain everything to Aine. That's when Nivri came to the rescue, he explained everything to her. I just hugged her and said that I was happy we were both alive.

Everything else she said to me didn't register for a while. Just....breath in....breath out.

I don't know how long it took for me to return to my senses, but I cried and cried for quite some time. It's just stress...needing to get out of my system. Which would be fine by now, if Aine didn't insist on that wretched feeding again. But she is as annoying as wise sometimes....I calmed down quickly.

The Empress knocks on the already open door, to get our attention.

"May we enter?"

I was still in Aine's arms, and Aine spoke on my behalf "of course, please enter."

"Thank you." 

She entered the alcove where Aine and I sat on the floor. Nivri stands next to the Empress, he must have informed her about everything.

The Empress speaks in a warm and gentle tone. "Akari...Akari dear....are you alright?"

"<sniff> yes, Em.....mother. It was awful."

"Yes we know...we know what happened. And your...eh...epi thing happened too, didn't it?"

I make Aine release her embrace and stand up to face the Empress.

"huh, you...you know about that too?"

"Yes dear...we are the Empress. It's our duty to know."

"Oh....I guess that makes sense."

"It does. Now we want to express our thanks for coming to our rescue. Thank you. Aine too for helping the guards fight the other one."

"Huh...you fought one too?" I looked at Aine. 

"Yes, don't look so surprised. I have had my training, just like you did."

I give her an incredulous look. "You..you are amazing."

"Says the person who killed one too."

"Alright you two, we need you to focus. Akari..we have bad news for you."

"Huh? But..huh? Again?"

"Calm now...let us explain. The Huntress, and other Hives too of course, launched interceptors to prevent this attack. They were able to shoot down twenty five of these probes. And yet....two of them managed to get near us."

"Well..that's good news, isn't it?" I look at Aine...she nods...so good news, right?

"No, Akari...we lost good people up there. The General told me one of them was a close friend of yours."

"What?? P...please...who?" 

"Her name was...Esi."

"What? No no no no...please god noooo... Esi!" Suffice to say that my tears wouldn't stop for a long, long time. I cried loudly, letting it all out. I don't know how many times I shouted her name.

The Empress now embraced me...like my mother did. An embrace somehow different from Aine's. She just keeps silent until I stop crying, gently swaying me, telling me to let my tears flow. 

After a few minutes she says "we understand how important she was to you. We...we are sorry."

"<sniff> She was my friend. One of my best friends. Still too young....but so brave. I <sniff>... ESI!!" 
I shouted her name again. Then the tears started all over again. This can't be happening. When does it stop?

"Akari....we..we...we might sound discourteous to thank you....but thank you for taking her into your heart. She....she was our child."

"Huh?" I look at her. My eyes are red from crying. <sniff> "Of course...forgive me....I forgot. Of course she is one of your children. Forgive me."

"No no...come my child" she hugs me again. "We thank you for your friendship because we can't be near our children. But there is more."

"More bad news?...No no no...."

"Yes..the Huntress, like three other Hives, was damaged...."

"MIWA!!!!"  I interrupted the Empress.

"NO. Calm down. She's safe. We have checked this."

"Oh....."

"Akari....we don't need to tell you that all life is precious and will end at some point. We have lost one Hive and three were badly damaged. The Huntress is one of those. It won't go anywhere for now."

"But...how? Did the Kakross send more ships than the drones?"

"Yes, three Hive ships this time. And they didn't waste much time. The NavScans proved useful again. Without those.....we wouldn't be here now."

"How many.."

"How many, what, Akari?"

"How many pilots did we lose this time?"

"Twenty three. Seven of those were from the Huntress we believe. Forgive us, we are having difficulties keeping up with the numbers at this hour."

"Mother.....how.....why....what...."

"Akari....we know what you are trying to ask us. Tell us....is there another way for peace?"

She now also has tears in her eyes.

"Mother.....I am against aggression. Yes, I worked on plans to wipe them out with biotoxins. But then I realized this is real, not a game. You see, my home country was once hit by weapons of mass destruction. Twice actually. I never, ever could have imagined that I would be the one to approve this kind of attack. It goes against the very essence of my people. I feel disgusted of myself for admitting this, but there is no way....it's them or us. They won't listen. We want peace...they won't even listen. Our survival is at stake. May god forgive me for saying this....but.....there is no other way. Empress...I will support the attack."

She is now visibly crying, tears rolling down her cheeks. 
"Then..<snif>  the time has come. Judgment day. Judgment for them and judgment for us. 

Listen to us Akari, Aine and Nivri. You three shall be our witnesses for our following statement. Tomorrow at this hour...we and only we shall have a different kind of sorrow. We shall have the blood of over 3 billion Kakross on our hands. We are the only one to accept and carry this burden. With the Celestial Empress as our witness....we shall wipe out their race once and for all."

This...this shows that the Empress is only a person, just like we are. A decision to decide wheter to continue with total and complete genocide...I don't know what to say. I'm speechless.

After both the Empress and I could think clearly again, she asked us to follow her to the command center. The central location where all communications are processed.

We walk into a room where many people are working with terminals. The Empress walks over to someone I can only describe as a communications officer. Maybe he actually is one.

She motions him to get away from the panel. She pushes a button and speaks....

"To all the Vahli, wherever you may be. This is your Empress speaking. Share the following message with every Vahli, everywhere. Again we have been attacked by the Kakross. Again we have lost good people. We are sick and tired of this. 

In a few hours we shall launch a counter attack. 

The time of waiting is over. Listen to us for the following shall be recorded in our historical records......JUDGMENT DAY HAS COME. THE KAKROSS SHALL PERISH.   WE SHALL PREVAIL.  WE SHALL PREVAIL.   WE SHALL PREVAIL. 

We are proud to be your Empress....To all the Hives, escorts, every single defense unit....prepare for war.. Within only a few hours we shall retaliate. Be there. Be vigilant. Be VICTORIOUS!  We shall speak to you again soon." 

She then pushed another button and simply departed from the room, leaving all of us in awe.

She then turned around, looking at us, she still had tears in her eyes. 

Oops, we all ran towards her and followed her into the corridor. She's strong...so strong....and she's going to need that....to carry this burden. 

"Akari...we ask you and Aine to return to the Huntress at once. It won't go anywhere in its current condition, but the Hive can be repaired. There is no immediate danger for you. We want you to support Miwa, who must be terrified by now. She needs her....mother. More than I do. Leave now, and get that Hive ready to fight."

"Yes, Empress!"  Aine and I say at once while saluting.

The Empress smiled, nodded and walked away.

"Nivri, about earlier." I wanted to apologize to him.

"Queen Akari...it never happened. You had a medical emergency, that's all I can remember." Nivri said.

I don't know why. Maybe it was my Vahli instinct or something like that....but I gave him a peck on his cheek and quickly left with Aine. 

"Where are we going?" Aine said after a minute of walking through a long corridor.

"I don't know. I'm following you to the transport ship."

She pulled me back by my arm  "Hold it...hold it. That's not the right way. And what was that a minute ago?"

"I don't want to talk about it."  I'm blushing.

"Oh c'mon...tell me....you know....that thing with...Nivri...."

"I don't know...it just happened."

"Ah....okay....I won't ask....."

"Thank you."

".....today."

"Ahhhh!! Aine...get us to the Huntress already."

"Awww....my little worker...all grown up. You were so cute!"

"Stop it! Aine! My god, do I really have to order you?"

"Yes, my Queen...of course my Queen...this way my Queen."

"Grrr...you are impossible, Aine."

I gave her a friendly slap on her arm.

"Ouch! I am wounded my Queen..hi hi hi....Take me in your arms my Queen."

Now I have to laugh, even though I'm in a foul mood.
"Ahhhh!! Now stop it, or I will leave you here to serve the Empress."

"Eh.....I'll stop."

"Finally."

We arrived back home about an hour later...because OF COURSE there were no transports available on the homeworld where more than 50 Hives and who knows how many escorts were waiting to go to war. Was it really that much to ask to send down one lousy transport? Grrrrr.

 

The Huntress was visibly damaged. The right launch bay sustained massive damage. It doesn't seem to be operational. Her engine exhausts are also black from weapons fire. Some parts seem to be missing...probably blown away. I can't imagine how it must have been inside. But she's one tough Hive, let me tell you that.

And Miwa...she was more than happy to be reunited with us. 

"Mom!" Miwa comes running our way and crashes into me, squeezing the life out of me.

"Miwa! Are you unharmed?"

"Yes, but it was terrible! The alarms, the stress, I didn't know what to do! Then the ship shook...I thought we were about to die!"

I massaged her back while still embracing her. "It's over now, sweetie. And the Empress is going to stop this madness. Now come with us, let's go to the throne room."

I guess we should sleep while we can...but there's just too much adrenaline in my system.

Nobody is able to sleep due to the stress of the recent battle, but also due to the knowledge that the next battle would follow soon. And it would be the big one. So we went to the throne room instead....where we would prepare for war.

The bad thing is that I don't have the authority to command anyone anymore. So Miwa had to order extra guards for us all by herself. 

We entered the throne room and used it as a war room. The General and Commander were there to give us an update about the ship's damages, and I had to apologize more than once when I ordered them to do something. At some point they didn't care anymore and just went along with it.

Summary: engines destroyed beyond repair, hull is damaged, but the shields are back online...mostly. The lights are out in half of the Hive and we lost many, many good people. Especially in the engine area. 

Whatever happens next, we won't go out without a fight.

Our strategy has been approved by the Empress, and all Hives are standing by with enough interceptors and firepower to send the Kakross to the next plane of existence. Let's see how tough those bastards really are.

 

Next chapter: Chapter 13: Judgment day

4