📗 Chapter 17: Going home
122 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After peacefully sleeping for about four hours, Aine woke me. And no, four hours is NOT enough! I can't possibly land in Japan in the middle of the night, so it is what it is. Let's see how things go down there.

We refueled our bodies with fresh waffles and juice and then freshened up.

Then we decided to take our time to walk to the launch bay so my friends have the time to get into their flight suits. The transport-pilot is probably also still on his or her way.

Just before our departure I whispered to Nivri, "Nivri...please forgive me. I will make sure to have you in my alcove soon."  Oh god, that sounds so wrong. I just meant sharing the room...

He gave me a peck on my cheek and whispered "I love you. Looking forward to that...and our bonding."

I couldn't say anything anymore as the others were staring at us. Ghan was even grinning. Rude. The secret's out.....so I just blushed...big time.

 

After about fifteen minutes, we received the all clear to depart. Apparently the crew for the ISS needed support to arrive in the transport, so we all had to wait a bit more. Kira is my pilot and I take the back seat. No more front seats for Akari. Ever.  

Aine joins Chiri in her interceptor and Nivri flies with Ghan. 

We are slowly descending through the clouds above Japan. The skies are still free from any other passenger aircraft, probably all grounded due to the recent attack. Once we finally leave the clouds above us, I see the sun setting. A golden, red sun welcomes one more or less formerly Japanese person home. Did I sleep more than those four hours? Whatever, not important.

I can now see more and more details. A river...rice fields. And a forest. The forest's colors are a predominant yellow and orange. So it definitely looks like autumn has arrived here.

"So this is your home planet?" Kira said while turning the interceptor a bit to the right.

"Yes, it is. Beautiful, isn't it?"

"It sure is. Lots of water though. Ours is much greener."

"Yes, that's true. But for me....this is home as well."

"I think I know what you mean. Anything I should be aware of?"

"Yes, Kira, please activate the landing lights, we don't want to look threatening. And signal the others to do the same."

"Copy that. Lights are....on. Eh...Akari, I'm detecting the launch of..I guess interceptors or something. Three of them. They're heading for us. Their speed is very slow, though."

"Ha ha ha. Slow for us, but pretty fast for their standards. Keep our shields up for now. They might still be a bit jumpy from the attack. Oh, and make sure to copy those orders to the others from now on."

"Understood." 

I was already wondering when they would show up, and here they are. And as an aircraft enthusiast...I know what they are! They sent the best of the best...three F35s at slow speed passed us on our left. Even in low light conditions, in the early evening hours, I can still recognize them. They're a work of art. Sorry....just reminds me of my hobby I guess.

I look at our aft through the canopy and see them making a turn, slowly matching our course and speed. I made sure that we flew really slow. Even for Earth standards. But what is slow? I only see the meadows and cities move slowly below us.

One F35 is on our six, while another one is now taking position to my left. Chiri and Ghan are to my right. The transport is further behind us. I guess one F35 is trailing them too.

The F35 pilot at my left slowly reduces their distance to us and we can now see the pilot, because the cockpit lights are on. They are waving..that's good. Kira and I return the gesture and I do my best to smile, but I guess the distance is just too far. And a bit too dark probably. Ah that's right, his cockpit lights are on. He wouldn't do that during a "normal" flight.

"Kira, activate our cockpit lights."

"Done."

It took me a second to get used to the lights, but the pilot can now clearly see me.

I show him the gesture we all know to show someone you are on the telephone. Then I make an "X" with my arms. I'm trying to tell him that we don't hear his radio messages. I should have scanned for those, but I guess it's already too late for that now.

The pilot gives us the signal "thumbs up" and then points down, emphasizing the downward motion by moving their hand downwards.

Lucky for them I know these signals...just another part of my extensive hobby with aircraft...and a bit of military stuff too.

I respond with the "okay" sign, then I show them one of the military gestures I know. I am the leader of these four planes, so I show the gesture for that.

I clearly show my three fingers apart, excluding thumb and pinky, and then put them on my left arm. Then I wait to see his reply.  These gestures are commonly used by ground forces, I hope this pilot understands them too. 

He shows me the "okay" sign again. Then he points at himself. Then he makes a fist with his arm bent 90 degrees up. He pumps his fist: up and down. Ah right...he means that we should increase speed. I give him the "okay" sign. 

The pilot now increases speed and I ask Kira to match their speed.

 

We are now flying at least at more reasonable speeds. I can finally see the Misawa air base from here. That must mean that we are probably now flying above mom and Hitomi!

I see the F35 flying an ILS intercept at the runway, but we don't need that! We can just land vertically, but let's just play along.

"Kira, we will be following that one. We won't be landing vertically. They are going to slowly land horizontally and use that long lane there. Just follow them along."

"Wilco."  I love her reply. It means "I will comply."

We follow The F35 and are now aligned to the runway. They are reducing speed and are already touching down, heading towards the end of the runway.

Kira follows the same procedure, lowers the landing gear and goes for a classic landing. Imagine that...landing with a real spacecraft like an old fashioned airplane.

And....touchdown! I'm back on good old Earth!

Kira follows the F35 to the end of the runway, then follows the taxiway until we come to a complete halt. Two military security cars are waiting with their roof lights flashing, making sure that nobody approaches us.

"Akari? The transport pilot signals unable to comply. He must land vertically."

"Copy that. Tell him to proceed."

My people have practiced communication for a long time. Excellent!

The F35 opens their canopy and gives us the "okay" signal. I return the favor, not sure what's okay though, but whatever.

We see one other F35 leading our friends to this same parking spot. The third F35 probably declared a "failed approach," meaning he will try a new landing. He expected our transport to land horizontally....but they couldn't.

I see the transport slowly descending vertically. But...where's he going? 

"Hey! You're supposed to land here! Not on the grass! Kira!"

"On it. Transport7623, abort landing, repeat abort landing. You are ordered to land on this part."

I see the transport climbing quickly, then stopping mid-air. He's hovering this way now.

"Transport7623, copy that. Landing now."

After a few more minutes, all our craft were safely on the ground. Now we need to get out of these somehow. Do these guys have a ladder for us? It's a bit too high to climb out.

"Kira, do we have ladders in these? I never had this scenario where we had to land on a planet."

"Really, Akari? Something you DON'T know? Ha ha ha. Relax, we have built-in ladders. I'm signaling everyone to exit now."

"Jeez, sorry for not knowing. I miss flying with you guys."

"Yep, same here. But we will have more time together from now on. Maybe you can even show your skills in a simulated flight again? I don't think the Empress would mind that."

"Yeah...I'd love to. But she would never allow a Queen to do that. God I miss those days together."

Our canopy opens, and my friends do the same. The transport doesn't have a canopy, only windows, so they are opening the aft cargo door.

I hear the F35's engine shut down, and then ours go silent as well.

Aine and I step out of the interceptor and see someone in a ladder-car approaching us, and turning around again after they see us climbing out without any issues. Still, it was very considerate of them!

Terra firma. I'm standing with my two feet, in new shoes, on good old mother Earth again. 

My friends should also be wearing shoes here, if not....I will yell at them. Strike one...Kira isn't wearing any....

I see the F35 pilot walking away from his plane, he's waving at me.

"Tadaima!" It is the first thing I say to them in my own language. (Can be translated as I'm back home. At least in this case...) 

The pilot shouts back "Okaerinasai!" Oh god, that's...just wow!  I know he's just saying the routine reply to my shout....but it basically means "welcome home."  That really hurt...like in a good way. 

I have to be careful not to get too emotional now. First I need to get those 5 people to safety and then get to my family. 

Kira looks around and seems impressed with how different Earth is compared to their...eh...our world. And it surely is.

The others are also walking my way. I take a deep breath...I'm back...finally. God the air...so different compared to that from the inside of a ship.

"Now what do we, Akari?" Kira asks.

"Let's get someone's attention. Oh, and close the canopies, it looks like we are in for some rain." I see dark clouds approaching, barely visible by the still setting sun.

You would think that aliens who land right before your front door would be interesting enough to greet, right? Ah, I finally see someone approaching.

I turn around and see 7 people disembarking from the transport ship. 5 crew from the ISS and two guards. The pilot probably has orders to stay inside.

The crew can't walk yet, it will take them a while to get used to Earth's gravity again. Our guards are helping them walk this way. That will take a while with only 2 guards, but...whatever...nothing is going by the book today.

I look back at the person who was approaching us. He stops about twenty meters away from us.
"Excuse me...may I have your attention please?" He shouts in a polite way.

I want to walk to him, but he gives me the stop sign, and says "sorry, please don't come any closer. Do you agree to blood testing?"

"Blood testing? No way, not going to happen. We already told Nagata-san that we are no danger to your health. Sooo......we came all this way to see a major....eh... Nakamura-san?"

"That's me! You found him."

"Great. Then you also know that we're here to speak about recent matters. But I'm also here for  family business."

"Of course, but won't you please allow that blood test? We won't harm you, I promise."

"No major, not gonna happen. And I don't have the time for pleasantries. I have 5 ISS crew over there  who need urgent medical care." I pointed at the crew.

I wave to the ISS crew and shout "hello there! Welcome to Japan! We will get you home soon!"

"Thank you, miss!" Is what one of the crew shouts back to me. It made me smile for a second.

"Nakamura-san! My throat hurts from the shouting, how about helping them and then get us inside? It looks like it's gonna rain. If you don't want to greet me, find me a brave soul who can!"

I see Nakamura-san motioning to some guards and they are hurrying to the crew. 

"We will pick up the crew now, do not be alarmed." The major shouts.

"Copy that!" I shout back. My god, man. Come over here already!

The major shouts again. "So no blood test then, huh? Alright...I had to ask. Okay...I will be that brave soul then."

He approaches us and says "I trust you when you say that you are no danger to our health. My name is Nakamura Kenji. My rank is major, and I represent the Japanese Air Self-Defense Force. Please trust me when I say that you are our guests." He bows to us. And I return the bow.  My friends copy my behavior.

"Nakamura-san, it's nice to meet you. My name is Kagiyama, Akari."

"Kagiyama-san, no the honor is all mine. Your name...it sounds...Japanese?"

"Of course it does, because I am Japanese. Please call me Akari."

"Huh? but...you are wearing those...clothes. And you don't look...very human? No offense, I meant no disrespect." 

"None taken. It's a long story. Maybe we can talk about this somewhere nice and warm?" 

My friends introduce themselves as well, and I ask the transport pilot to return to base.  

"Major, that transport will now return to our ship. Is that an issue for you guys?"

"Eh, no. I don't think anything we have can harm your ships anyway."

"Yes, but that's besides the point!"

"I know. But look, they already left. How am I even supposed to call my commanding officer that fast....there's even nothing left to shoot at!" The major is pointing upwards to the small dot in the sky.

"Whatever.....I thought you military people were more careful than that."

"Normally yes, but today is hardly a normal day."

"Touche. Absolutely true. Now can we go somewhere inside? I feel a few drops already."

The major nods. "Everyone, please follow me. We didn't know if you were real or a hoax...but you seem pretty real to me. We are not really prepared for these kinds of eh....diplomatic...things."

"Of course, and honestly, neither are we. We are at war with those things that attacked you, and saw an opportunity to say hello to you and to my family. Well, basically that is what's going on. I know it is against etiquette, but let's all be informal here."

"Gladly, and thank you for being so considerate. Akari, is it? Right. Then please call me Kenji."

I told him that our guards will remain here to protect the fighters, but we will join him.

We follow the major and he helps us step into a military cargo truck. It has a cover that opens on the backside. On the inside there are benches to sit on. Not very sophisticated, but considering that they are not prepared for this...it's more than acceptable.

"Please excuse me, it is the best we can offer now. Please take a seat inside." Kenji looked a bit apologetic.

"No problem...but where are you taking us?"

"No worries, our destination is a nearby mess hall that we temporarily cordoned off. So at least we'll be able to offer you a bit of hospitality there."

"Excellent! Oh my god...PLEASE...tell me you have onigiri and green tea there!"

"Ha ha ha...we do...rest assured."

"YES! I'm so going to enjoy that! I missed those more than anything else."  Well, except for my family of course.

 

The major drives the truck for only five minutes, while we chat in the back. I see that one of the security cars is following us. They are definitely keeping everyone away from us.

The major stops the truck and helps us step out.

"Everybody okay?"

"Yep!"  "Of course!"  are some of the answers he gets. 

He's smiling now, and I know why. This looks more like a school class on a field trip than an alien delegation. I'm the tallest of our team, but the major is quite a bit taller than I am.

Only now do I see that ALL of my friends are walking...barefoot. I can't hold my anger anymore. 
"REALLY? You didn't bring any SHOES! Didn't you receive my orders? For crying out loud. PEOPLE!"

"Ha ha ha ha...Akari, let them be." Yep, Kenji is enjoying this.

"Kenji, please stay out of this. This is not a school field trip."

"Ha ha ha." 

I turned to him again. 

He then says "sorry, sorry, I apologize. It really looks like that, though."

"Now I have to laugh as well. "Ha ha ha...Yeah, I guess you're right."

I think I jinxed it when I said that I saw those dark clouds...it's starting to rain!

"Quickly, the mess hall is over there." He points towards the entrance. Then he shouts to the guards over there "GUARDS, let them in!" And they immediately step to the sides.

We run into the mess hall and wipe the raindrops from our clothes. And some are touching their feet. Hurts, doesn't it? That's what you get for disobeying my orders.

Kira noticed how I looked at her feet. "Sorry." She says.

"Forget it. Don't tell me I didn't warn you." I said.

"Oh my Queen! That was fun! But it's so cold! Brrrr" Chiri exclaims.

"Never experienced rain before?" I look at my team and they all shake their heads.. Right...of course...most of them are pretty young still. According to my standards that is.

The major closes the door behind us and one guard steps inside, keeping us from leaving this place.

"Welcome to the mess hall. Please...pick any table and make yourselves comfortable."

My team follows me while I take a seat close to the vending machines. 

"Akari, you won't need those. We have fresh ones here if you want. Or do you really prefer those?"

"Oh, I don't mind. Whatever is most convenient for you. Team, you all in for a tea? Ah you don't know what it is. Think of it as...eh... hot liquid nourishment. And the onigiri is...well, just give it a try."

They all nod and seem quite excited. It really feels like a field trip!

The major sits down across from me at the same table, and puts a microphone on the table. 
"We will record this conversation, if you don't mind."

"Nope, not at all."

"Thank you."  He then gave each of us a cup of tea in army mugs...well....that works too. And fresh onigiri wrapped in plastic on a plate.

"Thank you, Kenji."  I then look at my people "You have to remove the plastic wrapping first, it's not edible."

They follow my example when I fold my hands and say "itadakimasu!" But what they say was a bit...different. Must be the translator.

They say "thank the Queen for our meal." It works too, right?

While Kenji takes a notepad and pen from a cabinet, I only hear the sound of approval all around. They like it, but don't want to interrupt me. I give them an understanding look and smile at them. 

Kenji says "alright, let's start. First, on behalf of the Japanese government, and of course the people of Japan...thank you very much for helping us in our moment of need."

"You're welcome. But we provided assistance world-wide, not only to Japan. And speaking of Japan...I have to admit that I was a bit selfish...it used to be my home. That's also why we are visiting Japan first. Ah, right, I don't have the final reports from our marines, so how bad was it?" 

"I see. Well, to answer your question... Just like most nations of Earth, we noticed a huge object in orbit. They were following a course over the equator and didn't respond to any communications. Suddenly our communication-systems were not functioning anymore...just static on all channels. We assumed they were jamming us, a sign of malevolence."

"Yes yes...that's what they always do. Then what happened?"

"They mostly sent craft down towards the African continent, and we initially didn't know why. Thank god only one of those landed near the Tokyo Tower. We can only assume they saw it as a threat. Anyway, that single craft caused the collapse of the Tower, and ten insect-like creatures were seen descending into the metro area. There they destroyed an area of about a one kilometer radius.

At that moment the jamming signal disappeared and we received word from the Americans that the ship in orbit was destroyed.
There was still quite some EM disturbance in our communications, but it didn't take long for your message to reach our Colonel. So considering the devastation witnessed in South-Africa, Namibia, and...let see..." He checked his notepad. "Angola and Congo....we were pretty lucky. Our government has offered immediate help to those countries. There are no words to describe what has happened there."

"I...I know how they fight. We lost about 12 of our marines during the battle. And I've had the displeasure of personally meeting one in combat. I barely got away alive." For some reason I'm scratching my leg now.

"Understandable, considering what you were up against. We only realized later they focused on those countries due to the relatively high temperatures. The ones in Tokyo were having more issues and stayed contained on one spot. Maybe the cold weather was in our favor."

"Perhaps. Interesting. We never considered that. Thank you for sharing."

"Of course. It's the least we can do, considering your people helped us. We couldn't shoot down their craft...and were at their mercy."

"Ah, about that. Those ships have shields, so you won't be able to hit them with your surface to air missiles."

"Okay, interesting. But how do you know so much about our defenses?"

"Ha ha ha...simple...it used to be a hobby of mine. Did you know I have lived close to this base for all my life?"

"Really? Where?"

"In Oirase, Aomori Prefecture."

"Ah right, that's pretty close. Do you have family there?"

"Yes, my mother and sister. I would....love to see them again."

"I can imagine that. I will see what I can do."

"Major, we can also land right in front of my...their home if that's more convenient?" I want to push him.

"No no no...we will find a way to bring them here. I hope you understand as fellow Japanese."

What a smart way to convince me! 
"Of course I do." 

"Okay, Akari. I thanked you on behalf of our government. Now they want me to open negotiations. We...simply put...want to be friends. Close friends."

"Ha ha ha...my mom warned me for men who wanted to become close friends."

The major smiled and was barely able to contain a laugh....well done Kenji. 
"True..but we are serious here. Maybe we can help each other. You know...you help us defend Earth and we give something back in return. Something like that. I'm not qualified or authorized to negotiate, so...maybe...you want to meet someone from our government?"

"Honestly...we are just visiting today...and hoping to see my mom. And checking if you need some emergency supplies. Ah crap! Guess I should have offered that earlier...sorry."

"No no, I understand. Your forces did an amazing job already. They even took those creatures with them. So no...we won't be inconveniencing you anymore."

This is a nice way to say...yes please.

"Then maybe...medical aid for the injured?"

"You can offer that? Yes, please...if you could."

"Alright. Kira, can you contact our Hive from here?"

"Yes, my Queen."

"Alright, then please tell them to send down the escort. And make sure they know they are going to provide lots and lots of medical help. Send some medical staff from the Akagi to them as well."  

"As you command, my Queen."

"Did...did she just call you Queen?"

"Yes, Kenji, that she did. <sigh> I actually am one, but let's not go that way. We are all informal here. That escort is a huge craft. And when I say huge...I mean....nightmare inducing freaking huge. So...can you give us some landing coordinates?"

"Eh...I guess the African continent then? Most wounded are in that region." 

"Alright. Kira, the escort can land on the southern continent, where most of our marines were sent to." 

Kira nods and leaves us to contact the Akagi.

"Kenji, please contact your government at once. We don't want anyone shooting at our medical staff. Oh and tell them they won't be humans."

"Eh...yes...Akari."

Kenji then quickly walked to a telephone and made that important call. I guess they don't allow mobiles here. I saw him briefly stare at Ghan's feelers. Sure, I understand...even I think they are...weird sometimes. 

In the meantime I explained some basic etiquette related things to my people. They also wanted to know what would happen next. Well, I was honest in my reply...I had no idea.

When Kenji returned, he confirmed that our escort could safely land. He again had to extend the utmost gratitude on behalf of multiple countries. I don't like these pleasantries, but I understand.

"Akari, it seems that the governments of a few other countries are also inviting you to come visit them." Kenji said.

"Ah, well. Honestly that is not what we planned. We are only visiting Japan for a day. Besides, our Empress needs to decide about any politics."

"That's unfortunate but understandable. I wanted to wait until last, but....alright let's do this. While we transported you here, I contacted my commanding officer and requested a background check on you. I hope you don't mind?"

"Nope, not at all. What did you learn?"

"Let's see, I made a note of it." He flipped through his notepad. "As you already said, you have a mother and sister in Oirase. You went missing 2 years ago, while returning.."

"WHAT 2 years have already passed? Oh...sorry please continue."

"Eh..yes 2 years since you were reported missing. Actually, and this is the hard part...you were declared legally dead three months ago."

"Huh? I'm DEAD? How could they do that?!!"  I rested my head on my hand for a few moments. 

"Akari, I know how you must feel, but it is something we can correct. As to the why...it seems that charred bodies were found close to the location where the police found groceries bags and your mobile phone. It wasn't hard to connect the dots...but apparently they made a mistake."

"My god...mom! She thinks I'm dead! Hitomi too!" I put my head in my hands and started crying.

Aine puts her arm around me.

"Akari...we will call your mother in a few minutes and set the record straight."

I look at him, a hint of hope in my eyes. "You...you would do that?"

"It's the least we can do. Would you allow us to take a sample of your blood for DNA analysis? It would show goodwill from your side and also confirm that you speak the truth."

"Absolutely. I will cooperate. I just hope that my DNA still has some human parts in it." I don't care if they see that I'm part alien by now. So I'm still going to give them some of my blood after all.

"Excellent, well...we'll cross that bridge when we get there. It will also prove useful for the police investigation that will be reopened. And I hope you don't mind that the JSDF monitors your phone call?"

"Nope, nothing to hide."

"Very good. Oh, where does your mom live again?"

"Oirase...I thought you already knew that?"

"Ha ha, yes I did. Forgive me, just standard procedure to determine the truthfulness of your answers. My apologies, those were my orders."

"Oh...well, ask me anything. But PLEASE....I can't wait anymore...PLEASE let me call my mom!"

"Do you have her number?"

"Eh...honestly...no. Her number was stored in my phone...I can't remember those even if my life depended on it."

"Understandable. Lucky for you I already have it."

"Then why....nevermind...please let me call her."

"By all means, please follow me."

I motioned the others to wait at the table.

"This phone line is monitored by our investigations unit. Do you agree that your conversation will be recorded?"

"What? Of course...I don't care...just call her already!"

"I know, but...."

"Yeah...procedure"  I said.

"Indeed." Kenji then dialed a three digit number. "Major Nakamura. Yes.....yes we did. Please...yeah...please dial the number. Yes, as instructed earlier...What? Yes, of course."

He then pushes the speaker button, and the volume is rather loud, so everybody in the mess hall can probably hear my conversation. I can hear the dialing...then hear the telephone connecting. Mom should hear the phone ringing now.

"Hello? Kagiyama residence." 

Oh my god...it's her..it's mom! I swallow and try to speak. 
"mm..mm...."

"Hello? Who's there? Is this a prank call?"

"No! Mom! It's me!"  I can barely speak.

"Huh? Hitomi....no....who...who is this?"  Her voice is getting emotional.

"Mom...<sniff>..it's Akari!"  I feel a tear running down my left cheek.

"AKARI!!! That can't be...we..."

"Yes, <sniff> I know, mom. But they were wrong. I'm here with the military. I'm still very much alive!"

"It's..really you? <sniff>"

Now I'm getting completely emotional too. "Yes, <sniff> mom. Sorry I couldn't help you that Saturday in your flower shop. I know I promised.."

"IT IS YOU!! And that's what you are worried about? My god, Akari. You didn't change a bit, did you? <sniff>"

"I..ah..well...I did change a bit....but has it really been 2 years?"  But Kenji gestured not to say anything like that on the phone, I nodded in understanding.

"Yes, Akari, it's almost 2 years since you vanished. Where are you? I can't wait to hold you in my arms! My god, I'm so happy!"

Kenji nods.

"Mom...I'm really close to you...I'm at Misawa Airport. The military..."

But she interrupts me. "WAIT. Don't go anywhere! I'm on my way."

"Ah, sorry ma'am. That's not possible today. But.."

"Who are you? I want to see my little girl. And I want to see her NOW!"

"Yes ma'am, I understand. I'm major Nakamura of the JSDF. Your daughter is safe here and will be able to meet you first thing tomorrow morning. Is that alright with you?"

"NO! I want to see her now. Or come to my home. Whatever...just....let me see her!" 

"Ma'am, you won't believe me, but this is a matter of national security. I promise she will be here in the morning. Akari, would you and your party please spend the night here? There are a few more things to.."

"Yes yes....just promise I will see my mom soon! Or I will walk there myself!"

"Akari...it really is you, isn't it?! You still have that temper." Mom said.

"moooooooom......" She embarrassed me in front of my team.

"Ha ha...and that too."

"Mom...how's Hitomi?"

"Your big sister is alright. She and her husband were on their honeymoon in Tokyo when...that stuff happened. God I was so worried. But they called me and they are both unharmed. They're still there though."

"Oh my god. In Tokyo of all places. But she finally married...good for her."  I said.

"Ma'am, we have to end this call now. We will send our people to pick you up in the morning...say....0900 hours?" Kenji said.

"But..but...Hitomi...I want to see her too! Please!" I said.

"Well....we are the JSDF, so...we'll try. No...consider it taken care of. Ma'am, my people will contact you shortly for their current location and to verify your address as well. We need to prepare temporary IDs for you."

"Eh...sure....call me anytime even after midnight if you must...just get me there as soon as you can."

"It's a promise ma'am."

"Mom...see you tomorrow!"

"Yes, Akari. I love you sweetie."

At that point Kenji ended the call.

"Feel better now?" Kenji asks with a big smile.

"Yes, thank you very much...so..<sniff>..you wanted to ask me something...unofficially?"
I wiped a tear from my cheek with a tissue, courtesy of Kenji.

We sit down again and Kenji asks us if we would like something else to eat or drink. Our teas are refilled and another onigiri is distributed for all to enjoy. 

"Yes, I did. But first, you will be our guests for the night here. I noticed you have guards stationed near your...eh...space planes....  Would you please ask them to join you?"

"Yes, that's probably for the best. I suppose you will be guarding our assets during our absence?"

"Of course." 

"Just know that we have defenses built into them, so kindly do not touch or try to move them."

"We won't, I promise. And thank you for sharing that."

"Chiri, can you please instruct our guards to check that our craft are all secured? Tell them also that they will be picked up and driven to us here."

"Yes, my Queen." Chiri says, while walking away and making that call.

I facepalm. Why do they act so formally?

"Something wrong, Akari?" Kenji asked while leaning over to me.

"Actually, I hate it when people call me Queen. I'm..well..just plain and simple Akari. I never even liked to be called Kagiyama-san either. I know...it's just common etiquette, but I never liked it. And now being called Queen in my own home country by my friends is just a bit too much."

"I see, I certainly can understand that. It took me a while to get used to being called by my rank. Granted, it's not the same, but it still took some time getting used to."

"Exactly. But where do you plan to have us spend the night? Please don't tell me you are going to put us in tents?"

He seemed surprised that I could even suggest this "no no no...we have officer's accommodations ready for you and your people. Do...oh god, I feel embarrassed by only asking this."

"Oh this must be good. What is it?"

"The building on this base only has five guest rooms available. There are more rooms of course, but they are reserved already. Even though nobody else will be in the building, the other rooms are still locked."

"Eh...well...that's not an issue. I wouldn't want to share my room with strangers either. And of course we only arrived here on such short notice...so...we'll manage. As long as you have beds and...preferably something to eat." 

"Thank you for your understanding. And for the food...trust me..the building has a small canteen and we will deliver whatever you like. I just hope you like the delivery person....me." He points to himself with a smile.

"Oh no....you..are they punishing you or what?" I smiled at him.

"Ha ha ha..no...but they want to minimize exposure for health and safety reasons."

"Let me guess....you have to sleep on the couch tonight?"

"Ha! No, not at all. One of those reserved rooms is mine. So, don't worry and just knock on my door if you need something. The rooms have showers and a...eh..very modest...bath as well."

"Excellent. But why exactly do you want us to spend the night? I still don't understand that part."

"Simple, we still want to ask those -eh- unofficial questions. Our government wants you to know that we are interested in becoming friends. Maybe exchange culture, science...stuff like that."

"Ah, right. As I already said, I can listen, but not agree to anything. But...if your people could create vast amounts of antimatter for us...I think our Empress would be willing to share things as well."

"Antimatter? Yeah...Japan is currently working on an experimental plant on Hokkaido, but it's still in its early stages. Really, that's all I know about it...just like the rest of the general public."

"Okay...I'm no scientist but our people seem especially interested in Earth's ways of producing that stuff. Maybe our people can work together?"

"I will make a note of it. And I understand, these are only unofficial talks. We both are not agreeing to anything."

"Exactly Kenji, well said. Our people could -theoretically- help with defending Earth, help with food production, space travel..ah, let's not forget the recycling of nuclear waste."

Kenji looked surprised. 

"Yep, don't ask me how, but I overheard someone speaking of bacteria who love to eat that radioactive stuff. If you don't mind, I would like to end our talks with that. It has been a very...weird couple of days for me lately. Excluding our conversation of course."

"Sure. And you named a few very interesting topics. On behalf of our government, even if these talks were not official, thank you for considering Japan as a business partner."

"Ehhhhh...oookay. Did they force you to say that?"

"Actually, yes. You know politicians."

"Yeah...they are the same everywhere." I shook my head. Actually I haven't met any Vahli politicians. I don't think we even have those? 

At this point our guards are entering the mess hall and are guided to us.

The guards were soaking wet from the rain, so Kenji kindly gave them towels and let them warm up near a radiator. Ooops......I'm such a bad Queen.....so I did the only proper thing that I could do: I apologized to them. 

A medical officer, wearing a surgical mask and those creepy gloves, took a sample of my blood and quickly left us again.

 

"Akari, might I ask a personal question? Please don't answer if it makes you uncomfortable."

"Sure, shoot."

"Ha ha, right I will. Eh...did you change your appearance on purpose? Or how did that happen?"

The microphone is still recording, but I don't have anything to hide. I thought we would only be talking about these kinds of things in the morning, but I guess not.

"Eh...yeah...well....it was not intentional. I guess maybe the food I ate might have triggered something in me. One of our doctors has a theory that human and Vahli DNA are very similar. Well not the same, but similar in ancient origins. Maybe we have the same ancestors or something? I have absolutely no idea how that could be possible. Because as you can see...we are quite different in appearance."

"And yet you look more like them than like a human. No disrespect intended."

"None taken. And yes, imagine my surprise when I slowly started to change. But now....now I don't mind it. And the Vahli are wonderful people. And these fine people here are all my friends." I turned to my friends and pointed at them.

"Friends forever!" Kira said.

"Yep, for life!" Chiri said. Oh right, she's back already.

"Not getting rid of me!" Ghan said.

"What he said." Aine added.

"You and me...forever." Nivri smiled. Ohhhh...right. I forgot for a moment that he's here too. That...brought back some memories. He gave me this warm smile again....so I smiled back. Maybe he already knows in which room he wants to spend the night. Akari..FOCUS!

Our guards only nodded and politely smiled. They seem to be warmed-up again.

"Kenji, I hope you can visit our Hive, the Akagi one day. You'll be amazed."

"I would love to. Maybe another time?"

"Of course. Good...then how about showing us our hotel room for the night?"

"Sure. Will you be ordering dinner upon arrival?"

"Of course! I'm dying to get my hands on a miso, tempura, eh Cup a noodle too."

"Ha ha ha....don't make us go bankrupt please."

"Huh? Will the Japanese government go bankrupt by paying for cup noodles? Or are you paying for us yourself?"

"No no, just kidding. Order whatever you desire."

"Excellent. I feel like we are going to order a pizza as well. How about joining us?"

"Thank you, I'd love to. I think I have plenty of room for pizza by now."

"Great, it's a date!"

"Ha ha....don't let my wife hear that."

"Ha ha...alright Kenji, show us the way."

Kenji then offered to drive us to our hotel...yes let's call it that for now...a hotel. Just before we stepped into the truck though, I asked Kira to contact the Commander. And my suspicions were confirmed. Nobody bothered to inform the Empress about the Kakross mission. So.....they will do that now.

After arriving in the hotel, it becomes obvious that this is very much a military building. Did I mention the armed guards outside? The building is a somewhat more luxurious version of barracks, intended for officers. It beats sleeping in tents, though. 

I follow Kenji into the building and my team follows me. "Alright Kenji, you said there are five rooms available, right?"

"Yes, they all have a bath, shower, tv, and a bunk bed. So two people can sleep in each room, even though a room is usually only assigned to a single officer. So we can have 10 people sleep here, and there are....eh...8 of you and I have my own room. So Akari, do you have any ideas who will sleep where?"

"Ah...that's a good one. Okay....Ghan and Nivri. Eh, I hope you don't mind?"

"Sure, no problem." Ghan said. Well, he doesn't know I wanted Nivri's reply more than his.

"It's alright my....Akari."   He definitely wanted to say my love.....nice save!

Oh....I'm blushing again. I quickly turn around and pretend to study the hallway where our rooms are located. 

I continue "Eh...the 2 guards...also together please.  Okay...then...Kira and Chiri please.  And...I guess that leaves Aine and myself. Did I forget someone?"

Everyone's shaking their heads...nice!

"Well, that leaves one room unused. Are you sure about that?" Kenji asks.

"Absolutely. We're already happy with these, so thank you Kenji."

"Ha ha ha....no need to thank me. It's in the interest of my government to offer you a room for the night, hoping to have some interesting talks soon."

"Of course, I already forgot. Good, people...one more thing. Before you go to sleep, everyone...just come to my room and I'll show you how things work, alright?"

The answers varied between "yep, uhuh, sure, and yes, my Queen."

I saw Kenji smiling, I bet he's having lots of fun with us weirdos. Should I....tease him?

"<cough> Kenji...<cough>."  I pretended to cough his way. 

Kenji stepped back and the worried expression on his face told me all I needed to know.
"A ha ha ha ha...just kidding, Kenji....no space germs....just kidding."

"Oh my god...Akari! You scared the hell out of me!"

"Really? It was just supposed to be a joke...."  I said. I guess I really scared him. 

"Akari, perhaps I should feed him, it might relax him." Aine said with quite the mischievous smile.

"Wha....wha...what did she just say? She wants to....feed me?" Kenji didn't see that one coming.

"Ha ha ha...Kenji...just a joke. But yeah, she can feed you.....mmmm....would you.....want to try?" Now I'm obviously teasing him. C'mon, he has to understand that.

"Yeah....no thanks. Maybe next time? I'm looking forward to that pizza though?"

"Well said, Kenji. Oh that's right. I.....what did I just want to say? Ah right....you can leave our doors unlocked, I don't want any panic during the night."

"No problem, Akari. Anything else I should be aware of?"

"Yes...I think you should join us when I tell them how the shower works. Just...don't make fun of us, right?"

"ME??? I would NEVER! Ha ha ha."  Thank god, Kenji is back to normal now.

"Yeah.......oh...and do you have internet here? I want to show them a few videos about Earth."

"We do have WIFI here, but there is no computer in those rooms. But...I can give you a spare tablet?"

"Yep, that works too."

"Alright. Anything else?" 

"Nope. How about you get us some food? I will show them one of our rooms and probably watch the news together."

"Good idea. Okay....let's see. How about we share...3 pizzas, a big box of chicken nuggets, lots of french fries? And...what else?"

"God that's difficult.They don't even know what all of that is. I really wanted something more.....close to home. Japanese? How about....those pizzas and....ebi tempura.....miso soup?"

"I'd love to Akari...but that's going to take some time. I need to visit more restaurants. I mean, I don't mind, but it's going to take a while." Kenji said.

"And all of us are dying to taste Earth food, so maybe.....whatever. Let's just go ahead with your proposal. But add some dessert too, because they do like their sweets. Nah, that's probably too much, could you maybe...maybe get us a jar of honey from a nearby Konbini?"

"Yeah......I can do that. There's a FamilyMart close to the entrance. I'll get you some. So it's alright then?"

"Yes, Kenji, if they don't like the food....I'm going to have a long night."

"Do I want to know what you meant by that?" Kenji said, with a confused expression.

"Nope, you definitely don't. I'll give you a hint....feeding."

"Ahhhhhh.....sorry, I didn't hear that. Please excuse me."

Kenji then left us...in a hurry. Did I really bother him with this? Meh, he's a military man...he can handle it.

 

I opened the door to one of the rooms, I guess this will be Aine's and mine for the night. Thank god that the doors are unlocked already.

"Alright people, please follow me."

I walk into the room and find the light switch pretty easily. 

"Come in..yep..all of you...and...perfect! That thing over there is the light switch. See....light on.....off....and on. Simple, right?"

"Yep! Copy that!" Chiri said.

"Ha ha ha....Chiri... okay....what next. Eh...those are bunk beds. One will sleep on top, the other will use the lower bed. You can lie down like this, and pull the blankets over you. See?" 

"So...not automatic?" Aine said.

"No, Aine. And that is with many things here. We all are used to the comforts of our Hive, but here on Earth...most things still require you to use your hands.

You can sleep without your uniform if you want, we don't have spare ones for you here, so keep them clean please. I will show you how to bathe later. Eh..what next...ah.....these are called curtains, just......"    And I showed them how most things here work. I feel like a teacher in a history museum! It really is strange to come back here and feel like you travel back in time. It definitely feels antiquated somehow.

"Everybody good so far?"  Everyone is nodding.

"Nice! Then come here, line up and watch this box here. We call it a television. It shows you pictures.....whatever, I'll just show you." 

I took the remote and needed a few seconds to understand that thing. The television switched to a documentary about....pottery. Who the heck even cares after today?!

"Eh..sorry....let me find the news.  Nope....nope....that's a no too.....yes!"

We started watching the news, but they seem to be ending this particular broadcast. Maybe the next one is interesting? 

"Okay, I'll increase the volume. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to interrupt!"

Nobody replied, they were fascinated by this antiquated device which now shows the news.

"....happened today on Earth. To viewers who just joined us, we will be continuing this broadcast all night to bring you up to speed. We are now switching live to Takishima-san in Tokyo."

A woman dressed in warm clothing appeared on screen. Someone is holding an umbrella above her, to shield her from the massive downpour. 

"As many of you already know, today is a day that will go down in our history books. To quote our prime minister, the question of whether we are alone in the universe has been answered. Today beings from another world arrived above Earth's equator as shown on these images. Some kind of ship....yes I know it's difficult to see, but this is the image NASA has shared with all countries. That ship sent down beings who without provocation attacked citizens in many countries.

All efforts to communicate with them have failed. We can only assume that they are a malevolent race. None of Earth's nations were able to fight off the attack.

The following images will be disturbing. Please keep your children away for a moment, viewer discretion is advised."

The screen shows a "countdown to disturbing images."  Well, that works too.

"People, we are now showing you images from South-Africa, where the most casualties have been reported. As you can see....people are being shot by some kind of laser-guns. Women, children, the elderly. Nobody was spared. Attempts to fight back with the armed forces have failed.  Their airplanes also seemed to be invincible. 

On the next footage you can see two F16 fighter planes attempting to shoot down a craft....without success. 

At this point a welcome event occurred above our nations. Another race of beings destroyed the attacking ship and sent their own....let's call them people....down to Earth. They quickly restored order to our cities and removed the attackers and their craft from our homes....then leaving us without even letting us speak to them.

Ladies and gentlemen, if you're tuning in now, we are covering today's events in a non-stop news broadcast until deep into the night. We will continue to share everything we know about the alien attack that happened in the early hours today, so please stay with us. If you have any footage yourself, please consider sharing it with us. Our website is listed below. 

And now back to our news item. I just mentioned that another race of alien beings helped us today. We have just received word from our Tokyo office. We....please wait...yes....of course. 

I just received word that we have unconfirmed footage, I repeat unconfirmed footage of those beings who saved our planet today. We want to thank that person for sharing this with us. We will also share the footage with the other news networks.

Okay...this recording is new for me....could you...yes.. Alright."

Ehh.....I look at Aine, then back at the TV.  The video now shows a surprisingly familiar location. Misawa Airbase. Right.....HERE!

"Akari...." Aine said.

"Shhh....Yes. I know...." I said.

The reporter then handed over the word to a colleague in the newsroom.

"Yes, thank you Takishima-san in Tokyo. We are now switching to Kurata-san, our reporter, who will now show you live footage at Misawa Airbase."

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. We are currently at Misawa Airbase and have recorded drone footage. These images are from about ten minutes ago. 

As you can see, there are three very strange looking craft at Misawa Airbase. They are heavily guarded by military personnel. That is all we can show you, because our drone was shot down only moments later. 

We assume that these......standby please....okay...   Yes....dear viewers, we received more footage. We....yes....okay...please watch.   As you can see, those three planes from a moment ago are shown flying towards Misawa, but at very low altitude. And we believe those are three F35 jet fighters from our JSDF who are guiding them in. They are obviously not shooting, so we must assume they are our saviors. 

But again, we are waiting for confirmation.  OH!! There...did you see that one? We didn't have earlier footage from that big...plane there. It looks like some kind of transport. But its design is definitely alien. 

Ladies and gentlemen, if you just tuned in. We have video recordings of unidentified craft which have landed at Misawa Airbase. We are waiting for confirmation from the authorities."

The broadcast now shows the reporter in front of the access road to Misawa Airbase.

"As you can see, I'm standing directly in front of the access road to the Military section of Misawa Airbase. This is a live broadcast. We cannot go any further, we are lucky that the military have so far tolerated us. As you can see......zoom in please.....as you can see the three planes are still there. 

We are now broadcasting live from Misawa and have.......wait...someone is driving towards us.

"Excuse me...please stop filming or I will have you removed." 

"That's KENJI!"  everyone shouted.  My god, I know!  And he's carrying our food! Poor guy.

I turn up the volume

"May we ask your name, officer?" The reporter asked.

"Alright, let's be polite. But I want you out of here. I'm major Nakamura."

"Major, can you confirm if those alien benefactors have landed here?"

"Aliens? My god, if you asked me yesterday, I would have laughed at you. But today is not a normal day, is it? Anyway, this is not a press conference. I will ask you...politely....one last time. Get back to the civilian part of this airport, or you will be arrested."

"Major, you are live on national television. Do you really want to keep this a secret?"

"My god. GET THE HELL BACK....NOW!   GUARDS!!!"  Kenji shouts at the guards, motioning them to run over to Kenji.

The cameraman and reporter can be seen running back, the screen is shaking with every step they take.

I switched off the television. "Oookay...that was interesting. At least we know that our food has arrived.."

Aine gave me that "huh?" look. 

"Aine...he can't tell anyone about us...yet. We'll see. Let them handle this. Our interceptors are safe."

"Okay, Akari. You know more about these people than all of us together."

"Yep. So don't worry."

I walked outside, until a guard blocked my way. It's raining again. No, that's not right...it's pouring.

Kenji drove up to our hotel and I took a few of his bags. 
"Thanks. You have no idea what just happened."  Kenji said.

"We know...you were on television a moment ago."

"Really? I thought he was just trying to be pushy. Whatever. We are all safe here, our guards are taking care of the matter. And nobody will get near your..eh..planes."

"Yes, I could see that. Your people shot down a drone. Nice work." I grinned.

"Thanks. Drones are not allowed in an airport. Let alone above the military section."

We sat down in the small canteen and the others followed me. And yes...it really is quite small. But still room enough to sit comfortably. 

Kenji unpacks the food and I explain what it is and how it should be eaten. 

"Itadakimasu!"

 

While everyone is enjoying a few pizza slices, I see Kenji shoving a jar of honey my way. "Thanks Kenji...you will be in for a treat later tonight."

He smiles but just continues eating. I guess he really was starving.

The chicken nuggets were not very successful, they found the smell revolting. Well....Kenji and I left the pizza to the others and we took care of the nuggets. Nothing wrong with them!

The fries were no issue...but for some reason everyone just kept staring at the honey. Do they...know? Nah, can't be.

The desserts were also very interesting. I didn't think he would bring along the desserts, but he did. Kenji brought matcha ice cream....and waffles too. I guess he wanted to make sure there's enough variety for everyone. 

Kenji was unable to bring miso soup, but we still ate until we could eat no more. We drank lots of tea to wash down the food.

The ice cream was a success! I think my people are about to explode! But to consider this fast-food is their first impression of Japan's cuisine....I apologize!!!

The waffles remained untouched for some reason. Until finally Aine dared to ask the question the others didn't want to ask. "Akari....those....are those the waffles you ate on Earth?"

"Yep...they look a lot like our nourishment, don't they? I know you are full now, maybe eat them in the morning. And...enjoy some honey too. And yes....this meal is not the healthiest meal....but it is best eaten with friends. All of you."

"Here's to Queen Akari!"  And they all saluted. Huh? Why?

"Aine...why....whatever. I give up. People, let's come to my room and I'll show you how the shower and bath work. Kenji....you won't happen to have a few bath bombs lying around here?"

"Eh....no....do you want me to get some?" 

I really don't want to send him out again.

"Nah..it's okay. I'd love to show them when you put one in the bath. But it's okay. We're all adults here. Mostly." I looked at Ghan. Ha ha ha, good, he didn't get it. 

"Hey, Ghan. How do you like being back on Earth again?" I said. I just have to tease him.

"He's been here before?" Kenji asked in shock, accidentally knocking over his tea. He immediately started cleaning the table.

"Yes, Major Kenji. I took Akari here by accident to our Hive. I saved her." Ghan said.

"Yes, you did. But you also abducted me....bringing me to your ship." I said.

"True..but do you still hate me for that? Aren't you much happier now? You're even a Queen now!" Ghan tried to save himself from my wrath.

I sighed and then gave Kenji a very brief summary of events from my departure from Earth until my return.

He was very surprised about how different life in a Hive is compared to their lives here.

"Ah...Akari...would you...would you mind telling me that again in the morning? I will record it for my superiors."

"Again....ahhh......okay, I can do that."

"Good, thanks. Then how about we hit the sack?"

"We can do that. Oh my god, I forgot to ask..what is the date and time now?"

"It's Thursday, November 16th, 2023.  And it's now....23.10 hours."

"2023...wow. And my god, it's that late already? Sorry Kenji!"

"Don't worry, Akari. Why don't we all prepare for bed now?"

I thought it was maybe late September, but November? All those trees had yellow and orange colored leaves. I suppose it is possible....maybe we flew in from the far south? Whatever. 

"Yeah, we need the rest too. Can you please not wake us too soon? We like to sleep...long. Say...9 am? Feel free to have breakfast without us."

"Okay. 9 am it is."

"Good and.....now that I think about it.....It has been less than two years. I left Earth on Christmas Eve 2021."

"Oh, did I say it was more than two years? Sorry if I did."

"Don't worry about it Kenji. Sleep well, I'll show them the shower and bath and see you in the morning."

"Alright..sleep well."

"Sleep well!" Everyone shouts. Poor Kenji. He just waves and disappears in the hallway.

I show my people how the showers and bath work and where to find towels. Yep, easy you would think. Think again. And then the toilets....my god I'm so tired. But in the end I felt confident that they would survive the night here. I encouraged them to shower in the morning, bathing will take too much time..and I'm too tired to clean any potential mess. 

It must be close to midnight by now, and all of my little bees found their way to their Earthly alcoves....their bunk beds. Good night everyone.

 

Next chapter: Chapter 18: Reunion

4