16- At their mercy
148 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vero laughed, with his manifest, multisize he could adjust the forcefield and charge forward valiantly into battle.

Beside Vero, the other nobles started putting on their armours, they were all made from unique materials, glowing from the different colours, making it seem like they were putting on a light show. As for artefacts, the majority of the Vanguards carried shields, some had a cloak artefact to defend better.

For Kyzil, his armour was lighter than usual, because he needed to move around faster, his manifest allowed him to create forcefields, it is vital that he travelled around quickly to place forcefields for the other soldiers. Or, at least that's what the excuse was.

Kyzil came from a family that despises peasants, at the same time, they believed themselves to be true nobility. So when Kyzil was allocated to be a Vanguard, his parents tried every way to pull him out and allocate him somewhere else, but as luck would have it, the military viewed his manifest as very important to the cause and wanted him to stay as a Vanguard.

His family, unwilling to give up searched through the options they had and they made for him armour that was light in weight as well as gifted him with a boots artefact used for transportation that allowed him to move quickly, using the excuse that he had to move around to set up barriers. The truth of the matter was, they would rather have all the commoners die than to have a hair of their son damaged in the process. So they provided him with an escape tool to run away quickly.

On the other hand, the commoner students were trying to fit into the spare armours that came to camp. Odrunn was squeezing his fats into the armour, whereas Z picked an armour that was way too loose. The army issue shield artefact was also barely holding up, but with the lack of budget, having equipment was better than not having any equipment.

After the recruits gathered what they were given, they got together and stood in formation. Staff Sergeant Ufrad looked at all of them and spoke

"Good job for the past couple of weeks, you have done well in terms of your training, but now the time has come for you to bear your armour and be prepared. Right now, I will hand over the time to the staff from the logistics department of the military. They will explain to you the usage of the artefacts."

The staff came up from behind Staff Sergeant Ufrad and started to speak.
"I know all of you are excited about using your equipment, but please note that other than those with new Artefacts, the Artefacts that you are using are pretty old and some are in bad condition, so if you find any faults, please bring them over to us by today so we can fix it on the spot.

As for how to use your Artefacts, it's fairly simple. On the handle of your shield, there will be a trigger to activate the energy shield, they may seem weak on their own, but for the military issued shields, their strongest strength lies in their ability to interlink and become a large net. So everyone, go ahead and try to pull your trigger."

Everyone in the group holding on to the military issued shields started pressing onto the trigger of the shield Artefacts activating a pale blue shield in the front of them. One of the unlucky Vanguards in the front, after pressing the trigger a few times smelt something burning and immediately set the shield on the ground.

"Go retrieve the shield" The head staff shouted out to the rest of the staff behind them.

Z shook his head, the conditions of the equipment were really in a bad state. He had never worried about Artefacts in his past life, namely because it was custom made for him and at that moment in time, the Council had sponsored a large amount of leading technology allowing him to use the Artefacts that were way ahead of his time. Even after he joined the rebellion, his custom made Artefact stayed with him.

"Hey boss, this shield isn't that bad you know. Alone, it can withstand a few hits from a tank level power, but together the damage is spread out and it can withstand even stronger attacks. Also, this Artefact is powered by something called a spirit stone. I reckon, the guy that had his shield burning had something to do with his Spirit Stone running out of power and causing a final burst, burning the circuitry."

Odrunn whispered at the side of Z

Z gave him a confused look, "You know about Artefacts?"

Odrunn brushed the back of his head and nodded. "A little bit..."

After they resolved the issues with the Artefacts, The recruits were handed over back to Sergeant Scuse, he had arranged those with the military Artefacts to go into a formation.

They first tried out a V formation, With one person taking the front, their force shields combined into a truly amazing sight. Next, they tested out the Phalanx formation, but with no weapons of their own, they could only practice the formation with the intent to team up with some attackers in the future.

This took the entire day, those without the military issue shields also joined in for the training, but instead of learning the formations, they were used individually to run into the formation training both side's defences. Vero did a good job with his multi-size, he formed his shield to be sharp down the middle and a few times almost succeeding to break through the line.

The rest of the nobles, like Kyzil chose to just pass through the training with minimum effort. It was one thing to participate in the training seriously, but for them to waste strength trying to break through the line was absurd to them.

Sergeant Scuse watched from the side, shaking his head, disappointed at the nobility. He turned to Staff Sergeant Ufrad and asked,

"These are the future leaders? Are they trying to get more people killed? Even in training, we can tell that they're half-assed how can they ever be good leaders?"

Staff Sergeant Ufrad just shook his head.

"The nobles just care about profit, they don't care who will die, to them, the death of commoners are just statistics, their children will always be far behind the line so what difference does it make if their kids slack off. This is one of the fundamental problems in A city, the old-timers all have an idea about it. But our families are there in A city too and we still have to provide for them."

3