Chapter 63: Evil Lords
1.7k 7 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This wasn't supposed to go down like this. There were already demons all over the city attacking it. From what I remembered it was only to happen after Demiurge raised the Flames of Gehenna around a city district and the demons were only inside the flames. Wasn't this where the mission's name came from? Why did Demiurge already summon all these demons without the Flames of Gehenna?

I pondered as I dodged another swipe from Tatsumaki before I jumped back, landing on top of the mansion, which was supposed to be one of the Eight Fingers' hideouts. The place was a bit further away from other buildings, so there wasn't much opportunity to show off our might.

However, we still had to leave some traces, so before we began I suggested a spar. Besides, who knew when Blue Rose would come back with reinforcement? Tatsumaki shot up, flying up the building to continue our 'fight'.

The moment she crossed a certain distance, I slammed my spear on the building's roof, activating my barrier, 'trapping' Demiurge inside for a little while. Before she could reach me a storm of stone was flung at her. She immediately recognized the ambush and instantly covered herself with boulders ripped from the ground.

The stone burst as they collided with her defense, though not without effect. Each stone chipped away from the hovering boulders. It visibly surprised Tatsumaki and not without reason. These boulders were covered in her energy, to chip away at this defense, someone had to reach a high damage output to do so.

It was also clear by the green energy that the stones were enveloped in, who had attacked her. Fubuki stepped out of the shadows from the mansion's clock tower. After revealing herself from her hiding spot, she directly waved her hand without speaking a word to her big sister.

[Telekinetic Maelstrom] A tier 8 telekinetic spell, generating a whirlwind of psychic force capable of shearing even through high-level astral beings. Although we said that the power we could use was up to us, we still had an upper limit on how much we should reveal. 

Despite showing our might, we also wanted the enemies to underestimate us in case it truly came to a conflict. We could then surprise our enemies by unleashing even more powerful spells and power.

This spell of hers certainly was pushing what we should reveal without being forced to. However, since no one was close enough to carefully assess the power of the spells, it was still fine. Tatsumaki dodged and raised a telekinetic barrier that withstood the onslaught of the psychic storm.

Of course, Tatsumaki could turn it up a notch, but she wasn't supposed to leave this city devastated, so she could only endure. There was a glint in her eyes as she looked at her sister. It was obvious that Fubuki had grown in strength considerably. Although it was just an 8th-tier spell, which could be cast by anyone with the right job or racial level and having reached level 50+, the higher one's level was the greater the damage.

After hearing and witnessing Sueko's rise in strength due to eating a blueberry, Fubuki had requested to eat some herself, which I obviously allowed. The stronger my followers were the better. It also made me confirm some things as she also gained some insights by observing my true form. They weren't able to gain much if they peaked into reality, but they could gain a lot from watching me once I let them.

Now Fubuki evidently wanted to one-up her sister even if she didn't quite reach level 100 yet. She had reached the 90s, so despite the difference being significant to the point of her not having any hopes to win, it was much better than before, when she would be crushed without being able to lift her head.

I turned my attention away from the two bickering sisters and turned to Demiurge and some lower-leveled demons who made a show of trying to escape the barrier I had set up. Well, actually I could sense he was truly trying, but a barrier formed with chaos magic wouldn't even break if one struck it with a divine item and certainly not by a mere level 100 slashing at it.

While Demiurge was still trapped, my ears twitched as I picked up the steps of an approaching group, so I didn't hesitate any longer and raised my hand, holding up a star-like crystal as if I were about to smite him. My wings spread, blocking the shot released by CZ2128 Delta from a few hundred meters away. Considering the trajectory of her shot, she was probably sitting in the window of a particularly tall building.

Just as I was about to use the item I had received. Ainz in his Momon persona finally ran around the corner. He directly saw me standing at the edge of the building and the followers behind him noticed me as well.

Evileye, Tia, and Gagaran looked much better than before. It seemed like Ainz gave them a potion to recover. It looked like they wanted to assist me since they were almost back at their peak. Of course, they would be severely limited by what they could do. Their armor was already damaged and I figured their items were already depleted. After all, the new worlders didn't have any inventory.

To be honest, I was rather surprised that the fight with Entoma had happened as it did in the series. However, it did make sense since from what I remembered they had to be in the area. They were going to take down the Eight Fingers and this was one of their hideouts. Since Princess Renner wasn't on Nazarick's payroll yet, it would have been difficult to make them change targets. As for changing Entoma's operation place, I already did... at least I thought I did.

CZ2128 Delta was initially supposed to take one of the Eight Finger's secret hideouts, but since I mentioned it wouldn't be enough for just Demiurge and Tatsumaki to be part of the trap I wanted her to attack me as well. I thought it would be fitting as an unknown long-distance enemy would always represent a hidden danger that despite minor damage output could change the course of a battle.

Now CZ2128 Delta's original location was not covered and Entoma was supposed to take her place instead. Demiurge didn't seem too worried about her safety, which made sense since no World Items had been revealed until now.

However, since I knew what happened in the series when Entoma was alone, I didn't feel comfortable sending her out on her own, so I asked Demiurge to place her with Mare...It seemed like I almost caused her death by being too cautious. If she weren't here then she would have avoided a fight with Evileye who countered her almost perfectly. Now where the hell was Mare?

I didn't show a change in my expression and held up the star crystal, causing it to shimmer. After the members of Blue Rose and Ainz glanced at me, they looked at the golden dome barrier with Demiurge inside of it.

Ainz was about to close in before Demiurge called out, "Did you really think I didn't come prepared, Azazel?! Did you really think I would just reveal myself here before getting that item?" As if to respond to his words a light blossomed in the city. 

There had been a few fires and screams sounding out from the demons attacking, but they were all drowned out by the roaring flames that suddenly appeared right amid the city. A wall of illusionary flames swayed like a veil, blocking off all entrances to a certain district. At that point, I realized this was just part of his persona, my demon adversary knowing me to the point of luring me away from his true goal.

Not only did he set up a trap to delay me, but also blocked out anyone else out of the location of the item, so one of his minions could easily secure it without the adventurers being able to contend with it. Certainly, such a plan was almost guaranteed to succeed.

"Now, what are you going to do? Stay here and fight me, while risking the very lives of this entire city just for the chance of killing me?! Or do you let me go and be the hero to stop it before this city Burns?!" Demiurge provoked, but I turned a deaf ear to it.

"Momon! Blue Rose!" I called out as I activated the star-like crystal, [Luminar Shard] summoning a squadron of 'elite' angels. A blinding light illuminated the night sky for a moment before vanishing as fast as it appeared, leaving behind 12 angels.

These angels ranged from Level 46 to 55, wielding a balanced power between strength and agility. Their defense wasn't that high, but their damage output was exceptional. They were warriors adorned with silvery armor, which emitted a soft glow reminiscent of the stars. 

Like most angels, they were humanoid, with wings extending from their backs. Unlike the Archangel Flame, their wings were feathered and colored varying a shade of azure and cerulean to shades of amethyst. Their eyes gleamed with divine light and they stood firmly and unwavering.

Their discipline was high and they were trained to do as much damage as they could even at the expense of their death. They were good men, straightforward and exceptionally loyal. Even corrupted they didn't dare to strike their superior. Maybe it was because I... What was I thinking? It wasn't like I had actually conversed with them before.

"Luminari Guards, escort Momon and Blue Rose to secure the demonic artifact in the Flames of Gehenna!" I glanced at Ainz and the female adventurers, who nodded solemnly, though they looked reluctant to do so.

Although these angels weren't that strong and would only be on par with the demons summoned by Demiurge, their divine weapons and techniques countered the corrupt energy of the demons. Of course, the only problem would be the Flames of Gehenna with its extensive list of boosts.

I turned back to Demiurge. "Of course, I expected your trickery." I started before I pointed my spear at him. "However, even if your minions obtained it, what good is it once I have slayed you?"

"Well, can you slay me?" He asked as he took a step toward the barrier's edge as if he would walk right through it.

"Watch out, there are more lying in ambush!" Evileye hadn't left yet, flying just above the trees. I only glanced at her and nodded at her, though it didn't seem like she would leave just like that.

Three shadows suddenly appeared around me before they manifested in the forms of Demiurge's subordinates. The Evil Lords, Envy, Greed, and Wrath surrounded me. He really put some effort into this, though wasn't it a bit exaggerated for me to fight him three Evil Lords and a 'controlled' Tatsumaki? I guessed I did say to make a trap that would be 'foolproof'.

"Today, Azazel, you will die! Just give up, you are already surrounded!" Demiurge hollered out with a demonic laugh, so most people still in the vicinity could hear him. Seemed like he played the part more of the confident deranged and with another slash the barrier conveniently cracked, making my situation rather precarious.

I snorted as a response and tried coming up with a good rebuttal as I kept staring at him past his subordinates. "You think I care?" My voice was empowered by my divinity and carried far and wide. "All I am surrounded by is fear. And dead demons!" Demiurge took a step back and audibly swallowed.

The Evil Lords overcome by anxiety, lashed out. I simply deflected the white beam shot by Envy before intercepting Greed's swipe of his scythe. Without hesitation, I teleported away. I looked down at the rooftop that was engulfed by the flames Wrath spat out. The bricks instantly melted under the onslaught of the hellfire.

I twisted my spear around, aiming with it as it started to glow. The moment they looked up, I threw it. A golden copy of my spear shot down. Wrath was unable to dodge. It instantly pierced his shoulder. I then slammed the butt of my spear in the air. A sigil appeared underneath it and the sound of a bell rang out as if it had truly collided with something in the empty air.

As soon as I finished the movement, the golden copy inside Wrath's shoulder exploded. The roof collapsed under the explosion and his smoking body was thrown off the roof. The other two Evil Lords jumped out of the smokescreen.

After they landed on the ground, they took a brief look at Wrath holding his shoulder in pain. The residual of divinity in that attack must sting. Envy and Greed looked back up at me again.

"Let this spear be the verdict of your infernal existence." As I said that they trembled and instinctively, the two quickly dodged into the protection of the buildings' debris as I raised my spear and aimed at them again. Wrath was the only one who raised his head and spat out dark flames, causing me to dodge with a flap of my wings.

He then buffed up and his fiery wings seemed to burn a notch more fiercely. It looked like he was taking this more seriously now, which was good since this fight was supposed to show the world how powerful the demonic forces were. They were supposed to fill the world with dread with the only one being able to contend with them being me.

Even the highest force of this world should question their abilities to succeed and seek out me and Ainz. For that, they needed to work for it! I released my magic and quickly formed the sigil to create the 10th tier I had created. 

[Seraphic Requiem: Unlimited Spear Cascade] 

Hundreds of spears appear behind me, causing Wrath's eyes to widen. Despite his growing fear, his mana moved forming an intricate spell. I thrust my spear downward and the spears around me shot down like shooting stars.

As a response, his fiery wings flapped at me, releasing the build-up of demonic mana. 

[Abyssal Tempest] 

It was like we had stepped onto a plane of hell. A vortex of darkness and destructive forces appeared around us. My spears shot toward him, but a ravaging tempest in the form of torrents of shadowy tendrils and black flames, volatile energy intercepted the spears, knocking them off their course.

The spears pierced into the ground before exploding, sending debris off the cobblestone path hurling in all directions. Although Wrath was unharmed, some lesser demons were unable to endure this onslaught. Their numbers were cut down by the mere aftereffects of my spell.

Some spears embedded into the walls of the mansion, blowing them up, and causing part of the building to collapse. Envy and Greed dashed out as the walls they hid behind exploded. My spears instantly honed in on them and shot forth.

[Envious Echo] 

Envy opened her crow head's mouth and a powerful echo sounded out. A resonating blast of dark energy scattered the spears but the range was short and could only form a protective wall of sonic echo in front of her.

[Covetous Cut]

Greed swung his glowing scythe. Each swing was empowered with insatiable desire, yearning to claim more power with each strike and to devour anything that it touched. Sounds of metal rang out as he swung his scythe, deflecting all the spears that headed his way.

There was a gap in the spears and he directly used it. He swung his scythe, causing a wave of sharp energy to surge toward me. Just as I was about to thrust at it and destroy the incoming wave, I noticed something. My head leaned back, and a shot penetrated through the place where my head was just a moment ago.

With the disruption of my focus, my spears halted and the three spells re-empowered finally arrived at me. 

...

Evileye looked back in horror as in the distance the multistory building collapsed under the attacks. Seeing Lord Azazel in the air, releasing a torrent of divine spears at the demons was just like a god giving out judgment.

She was even more shocked that these demons that had suddenly ambushed him were able to withstand it. Just the attacks that pierced into the night sky made her dread their power. They had to be demon gods to unleash such a terrifying attack and withstand his counterspell!

The thought of Jaldaboath leading a group of demon gods sent shivers down her spine. A deep breath later, even though her body didn't need it, she looked back toward the approaching wall of flames.

It was just like Momon had said, they had to trust his friend to come out on top. At least, they couldn't let the demons succeed. If they managed to get the item they were seeking then their situation would be even more precarious than before.

Her gaze wandered to the valiant angels, cutting through yet another demon. "We are close." The stoic leader of the angel troop announced. "Once inside it will be even more dangerous, we won't be able to guarantee your safety!"

"Don't worry, we won't be a burden," Gagaran responded as the grip around her warhammer tightened. Suddenly she moved out of the formation and headed toward an alley.

"Gagaran!" Tia called out. Evileye was also confused as to why she suddenly left, but the helpless shout in the alley made it clear that someone was being attacked. Hearing this, Tia and Evileye didn't hesitate to rush toward her and help, though they were quickly overtaken by Momon's figure.

Just as they turned the corner, they saw him bisect a walking rotting corpse, while another imp's head was being crushed by Gagaran's warhammer. After exterminating the demons, a curled-up figure could be seen in the corner.

Gagaran knelt down, helping the sobbing woman to her feet. In her arms was a young infant that was crying loudly. "Go to the palace. I am sure the Kingdom's Royal Army is already gathering there."

The woman turned pale. "W-we won't make it there alive! It's a ten-minute walk from here!"

"We have to move quickly. Every minute we waste here is another they are closer to achieving their goal." The stoic leader of the Luminari Guard called out after unknowingly having approached them.

Evileye was about to protest when the leader pointed at one of the guards who had been covering their flank. "Take her and anyone you see to the palace." The guard nodded and quickly picked up the woman before flying toward the palace.

"Let's go! We have to move quickly." Without waiting for their response, the Luminari Guards started running toward the flames again. Evileye glanced at the angel that was now missing in their formation. She knew that this woman wouldn't be the only one and she also knew that they couldn't send out all the angels to make sure they were brought to safety.

Thankfully, they weren't the only ones making a difference. There were a couple of adventurers on the way who were protecting the civilians. Of course, despite this, they still saw more bodies with every step they got closer to the Flames of Gehenna.

Although they faced more resistance on the way, they were able to deal with most of the demons they encountered. Strangely, at one point the number of demons lessened until they finally arrived in front of the Flames. The Luminari Guards didn't rush into the Flames and observed them for a moment.

"What is it?" Evileye called out, wondering why they had stopped. On the way, the leader had mentioned that they would be able to enter it quite easily, so she didn't see the reason why they would stop now that they were this close. 

The leader angel just pointed at the flames. She squinted slightly before she could make out the shadows of demons, hundreds of them. They had only encountered a few dozen of them on the way here, but now a horde was inside these flames. And of this horde, she got a dreadful feeling of one of the shadows.

A giant fat figure, tall as a small building, was strolling through the mass of demons. The threat she felt from this demon alone was comparable to the demon gods that had ambushed Lord Azazel when they had left. Perhaps this was a demon god as well.

Momon pulled out one of his swords and took a step forward, "I will be able to block it and you can search for-" Just as he reached this point, the leader of the angels pointed at another shadow that seemed inconspicuous compared to the hulking demon.

Another demon with long horns was standing with his straight back and raised chin as if he looked down on the other demons. They couldn't tell the exact details of their appearance since fire was enveloping them, but it was clear by the way he glanced around. He was overseeing the situation. "We won't be able to last long against him." The leader of the Luminari Guards revealed. "Especially not within these flames."

"What about the flames? I thought it wouldn't hurt us when we entered." Tia remarked suspiciously.

"They won't. They aren't there to keep anyone out, but there are a bunch of effects these flames have on demons, making them ten times more difficult to deal with. We need allies to distract the lesser demons, while we eradicate the real threats. Besides it will take some time until they find this item. If it were so easy to find, they wouldn't have enveloped such a large space to search for it." With that, he started marching straight in one direction.

"So, what's the plan? Although I might not be able to kill those Evil Lords, I can hold them off long enough." Momon stated and the sheer confidence astounded Evileye. After all, he had seen what they were capable of as well!

"Perhaps. However, what if there are more? Three more are currently fighting my master and two are guarding their mission location. What if another one is personally searching for the item they are looking for? Or maybe another one is lurking outside waiting to let our guard down and strike us from behind." His questions silenced the group. Indeed, the possibility was high that there were more.

"If there were more then wouldn't Jaldabaoth take him to ambush Lord Azazel as well?" The angel thought for a moment and despite them talking they were moving quickly through the city, heading toward the palace.

It was clear they were going toward where most civilians and adventurers were heading. Of course, many would just hide in their homes, but a lot would seek help from the army.

Just the horde was reason enough to gather more aid on their side. Blue Rose wasn't complete either, so they would feel safer if all of them went together.

"No." He simply stated before his body seemed to turn into a specter as he instantly crossed ten meters while simultaneously wielding his shimmering sword. A demon that had barely rounded the corner lost its head. Of course, there was no one lamenting the enemy's demise. "Even if ten more of them arrive, he will be able to handle them. Even though the Evil Lords are powerful, they are nothing compared to an Archangel!"

"An Archangel?!" Momon muttered in disbelief, though before she could ask what significance an Archangel held, they arrived in front of the palace. Many people had already gathered, seeking refuge, looking at the nobles, who pretended to care for them even though they were similarly seeking protection from the Royal Army. Evileye's glared at the nobles. They had seen similar sights on their way.

Nobles escaped while disregarding the pleading peasants. Her fury burned but she couldn't cut them down since even fleeing nobles represented targets for the demons that weren't helpless civilians. Of course, most of them didn't have the manpower to help anyway with their handful of guards and some actually did their best to help.

One of them and probably the only one with enough soldiers to make a difference was Marquis Raeven, who brought out his private troops. She glanced at the Royal Army, consisting of Gazef and his Warrior Troop, who were tending the ones they had saved.

Marquis Raeven and Gazef were gathered in a group discussing something. She saw Princess Renner standing next to Lakyrus in this group. Without hesitation, they headed towards them. Their movements couldn't be hidden and many turned toward them. Of course, she knew it wasn't because of the Adamantite Adventurers, even if it was part of it. No, they were looking at the angels in resplendent armor.

She could understand why they would turn to them. After all, this was a demonic invasion. Many would hope for a miracle and what better miracle than angels descending to help them in this battle?

66