9. Syria
168 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What should have been half a day of travel by car had taken them nearly a week with hitchhiking. The journey from the hospital to the border between Iraq and Syria was a tough one. Levana and Aethra had slept in their tent a short distance away from roads and in sleeping bags in the corridors of cities they had visited for food.

Levana had questioned why she had decided to travel many times before reaffirming her conviction to see the world. As someone who was currently experiencing what it was like to be homeless, carless and jobless. She could only say that she preferred sleeping in the wild on grass grounds than in the city where cockroaches seemed to appear from everywhere.

She could handle other insects. Ants? No problem. Cicadas? Pluck those wings off, cook them well and she would eat them. But cockroaches? Levana shivered even at the thought of eating them. Aethra who was holding her hand, stared up at Levana with slight confusion when she shivered. It wasn't cold at all.

Either way, a long and arduous journey later they had reached the border. As Levana had expected, a far-stretching fence could be seen. She stared at it for a second and just continued walking towards it. As usual, she was carrying way too many things at once.

However, her pack had become lighter. During the past week of travel, the duo encountered many weak monsters and only one powerful monster. Levana had slaughtered the weak once with ease. She had also provided Aethra with a cheap knife that she has been teaching her to use.

Aethra had been taking small steps in terms of progress in the art of stabbing and slicing. She had even successfully killed a monster that Levana had allowed her to face. Either way, though they had not taken fatal hits from these monsters, they had still gotten multiple cuts that had left their clothes shredded. Well... LEVANA had taken the hits and had her clothes shredded. She didn't let Aethra get hurt.

Torn clothes were thrown away or turned into rags in case bandages were required. Thus, Levana's lighter pack.

With a quick wave of her hand, the Veil covered the duo. Levana took her time climbing over the fence and then slowly helped Aethra get over it too. Levana made sure not to leave any evidence of their intrusion.

As she double-checked, a wave of power washed over them and the Veil that Levana had put up was washed away leaving them exposed. Having been trained to react to such ambushes, Levana turned around, stepped in front of Aethra and unsheathed both her weapons in a single swift movement.

Both her eyes glowed as she stared at the floating god before her. In her left, she wielded her knife in reverse grip and in her right she held her sword. Both weapons had their sharp ends pointed at her opponent. Taking a moment to scan the god who was just smiling at her display, she realised that He was some kind of moon god. Then, He spoke.

" A young god and a demigod. Why have you crossed into our territory?" He asked with a rather carefree tone. Taking a deep breath, Levana answered the god but did not release her tensed body that was still in a combat stance.

" We are just passing through. Will you hurt us?" Levana said and asked firmly. Her slowed perception of time ensured that she did not miss any changes or twitches in His facial expression.

" No, no. I am just doing my job." The god said smoothly. She got goosebumps as she felt a wave of disgust and anger roil throughout her body. If it weren't for the intensive training she had gone through to keep her facial expressions still, she would have bared her teeth at the god and would probably have been killed.

" So? May we travel through Syria?" Levana asked with a flat tone. Aethra kept her eyes on the god as she hid behind Levana. She did not hold on to Levana, she had learned her lesson a few days ago. Doing so would only restrict her protector and guardian's movements.

" Yes." Levana nearly let out a breath of relief until the god continued.

" As long as you complete a task."

" And what is this task?" Levana asked. Words laced with suspicion.

" I will tell you but it will take a while. Maybe you should sheath your weapons first, your hand is shaking." Indeed, Levana's right hand was shaking from holding the sword in the same position the entire conversation. Levana was a left-hander, after all, her right hand was simply not up to standards yet.

Levana cursed herself internally as she sheathed both her sword and knife. Formed of the Veil, three simple stools formed from the sandy ground. Understanding the god's intentions, Levana sat on the stool but made sure that Aethra didn't and instead stood next to her. Just in case it was a trap.

" Well, since you obviously don't know who I am. My name is Aglibol, the Palmyrene moon god. What is your name?" Aglibol said. (A/N: Did you know that there is a Camp Half-Blood Fanon Wiki? I just found out. This story isn't following that mess.)

Levana introduced herself but left Aethra's name out not wanting to risk anything. She was sure that she could undo any curse that can be cast instantly but she had no idea if she would even sense one that was cast on another person. Names were very important to supernatural creatures.

" So, what is this task?" Levana asked as she stared down the god. She hoped her glowing eyes increased her intimidation factor.

5