Chapter 5: Learning (II)
89 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I get back to the village when the sun starts to set.

My training has gone very smoothly. While I don't have more complex magic, I can now heal a small to medium wound and cast a lot of elemental magic. However, I also noticed that while I can learn other elemental and healing spells because of my Soul Talent, I still have a harder time performing the said spell.

What I mean is that I have an easier time learning a few parts of a magic spell than the others. For example, I easily learn and cast lightning and fire elemental magic, but water and wind magic is more challenging than the other two.

I can still easily learn and cast the other two, but I notice the difference between them.

Surprisingly, I have an easier time learning healing magic than curse spells. So, to see if I can learn and cast a healing spell, I search for a monster in this area and let them hit me.

Let me tell you, being impaled by a giant tusk of a boar is not pleasant, even when you are stronger than your regular human.

And don't let me start with the wolves. Those bastards know where to target a weak spot. I kill three or four packs of wolves when some of them try to bite my dick off. Can't they just be grateful that I let them bite the rest of my body?

Anyway, after torturing my body, I healed my body with a spell I had created. This spell increases the healing factor of my body to a hundred and lets it heal on itself.

As for the curse spell, I decided to copy it from the other world. It was a Blasting Curse from the Harry Potter universe. It takes me a while to cast this spell for some reason. Even when I already know how this spell works, casting it takes me a while.

However, after half an hour of testing, I could cast it without a problem. Sadly, it was not as powerful as I thought it would be. Dangerous? Yes. Powerful? No. A regular fireball is even more destructive than that curse.

What makes the spell dangerous is that it can be used as a trap. For example, I can put it on the ground, which activates when the specific target lands on. So you can imagine when I put a hundred of them on the ground where the monster usually goes… a firework will happen.

Not only that, but each curse also has, well… a curse.

It will weaken anyone who makes contact with this curse. It did not last long, and the curse is rather weak, but it can be very dangerous when the target gets hit with multiple curses as the curse is stacked.

In the end, I only take the concept of the Blasting Curse from Harry Potter and modify it.

By the end of my training, I could only cast a simple spell. I have yet to go deeper into the more complex spell that creates more complex effects. I also need to learn about some barrier spells that I can use to protect my base.

When I return to the inn, I see Yujin, the Village Chief, inside the building, chatting with David.

"Yujin, what are you doing here?"

The old man looks at me and releases a sigh of relief. Does he think that I'm running away?

"I'm glad to see you, James."

"What? You thought that I would run away after promising to help you?"

I can see him look guilty and slowly nod his head.

"I'm sorry for doubting you, James. However, we are rather desperate."

"If you are that desperate, why not hire some mercenary?"

He sighs a little and says.

"And we have the same problem as the Soldier case, James. Sacred Games is around the corner and many mercenaries want to try their luck in getting into the main event. Getting the main event of the Sacred Games is enough to raise your status to the likeness of a noble, maybe a knight if you are unlucky enough to be defeated in the early stage."

"I see."

"We are also rather unlucky. Before Sacred Games, the royal family will always order the noble to send their soldiers and knights to hunt as many monsters as they can. We have a peaceful day before but just after the knights and soldiers move out to the capital and Stormfist, the monster spawn near our village."

"I see. It was a chain of unluckiness."

"That's right. If not for the Sacred Games, I will already hire some mercenary."

I nod my head and sit next to him. I order some beer and look back at Yujin.

"You don't need to worry, Yujin. I will not back away from my promise. You can rest assured that I will clear the monster nest."

"Thank you, truly."

When David returned with the beer, Yujin put a scroll on the table.

"Here is the map of the area."

I drink the beer and look at the map.

"We are here and the nest is here."

"The distance?"

"2 kilometers if you go directly east and 3.7 kilometers if you follow the road."

"The nest is near the road?"

"Yes. That is why not many merchants are willing to visit our village from the east. There is a clearing in the middle of the forest near the road, only a hundred meter away. This is the location of the monster. There is a formation of rocks that the monster uses as their nest."

"What kind of monster was it?"

"It was the Gray Wolf. They are bigger and have more strength than a normal wolf but they are slower. They hunt in a pack of twenty at minimum. While they are not as fast as normal wolves, they have the number and strength."

I nod my head.

"Any place I can use to my advantage?"

"Sadly no. You can use the tree but Gray Wolf is known for their jumping and climbing ability. Our biggest chance is to fight them on the ground."

"Us?"

"Of course! We will help you fight, James. This is our village and we are willing to fight to protect it."

"Very well. The other nest?"

He nodded his head and pointed at the southern part of the village.

"In here. There is a cave in this area where the boar make their nest."

"What kind of boar is that?"

"They are what many called Tusk Boars because of their big tusks. They are fast and very durable monsters. The only weakness of this board is its forehead. Hit it with a good enough force and the monster is done. However, fighting the boar head-on is not an easy feat. As I said, they are fast. If you are a little bit slower than them, you will be impaled."

Ah, I see. That is why it was so easy killing them the first time I fought them. I hit their weak point.

"Anything else?"

"No. There are only two nests but they spawn a large number of monsters."

"How do we stop the spawn rate?"

"Each nest, there will be a core floating around the nest. Destroy it and the spawn rate will be greatly decreased. That core is the one spawning the monster from the Land of Shadow where the monster is born."

"I see. So the core is a gateway between the Land of Shadow and the Land of Living, huh?"

"That is correct, yes. By destroying it, the gateway will disappear and the monster will only spawn from the chaotic mana of the world."

Urgh. Another new term I don't know. I really need to go to the library or buy a lot of books.

"David, does this village have a library?"

"Library? No. Some of us can't even read, James. Lucky for you, I have a small library in my house. Just go to the north and see a house with red paint, that is mine."

"Thank you. I will visit you tomorrow."

"I will wait. Anyway, I need to go back. I still have some paperwork to do."

"Ah, before you go, are you willing to buy some of the monster loot? I defeated around fifty monsters in my training."

It turns out he is willing to buy them from me.

5