21. Changing Plans
2.1k 2 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I've been thinking about our apothecary plans," Cathryn commented as we walked side by side towards the market. "I've said all along that our focus should be on smaller batches of high-quality, high value product. Perhaps looking to fill our shelves with potions then opening our doors as a typical but up-market alchemy store isn't the best path for us to take after all."

I frowned slightly as I glanced up at her, "What else would we do though? Or are you thinking about trying to get hired by a wealthy merchant or noble, as a staff alchemist?"

She shook her head, "No, nothing like that Valeria. For one thing that'd almost certainly mean splitting us up, not to mention ending your apprenticeship. I can't imagine any noble around here would be willing to take on both me and my wonderful assistant."

That was a relief, and I couldn't help smiling slightly knowing she'd give up a noble appointment to stick with me. It still left the question though of what else she had in mind.

"So what's your new idea then?" I asked as we started perusing the various wares together.

Cat picked up some fresh produce to inspect the quality as she responded, "We'll continue with our current plans, slowly expand our stock of high quality merchandise. But I think rather than looking to fill all the empty shelves, instead we'll reduce the shelf-space. Better to have two or three full shelves, rather than a dozen empty or sparsely-filled ones."

She paused to haggle briefly with the merchant, before paying a few copper shields while I put the bundles of carrots, beetroot, and yams into my basket. Then the two of us continued on our way as she added, "I might even talk to a carpenter, and see about making some minor changes to our storefront area? I'll also want to acquire some suitable furnishings. I think four comfortable chairs and a nicely turned table would do. And some quality glassware, for serving refreshments."

My stomach tightened slightly at the thought of how much money she was planning to spend, and she hadn't even got to the part where this was supposed to be a business idea. So far all I heard was fewer shelves, less inventory, and some expensive parlour furniture.

"Ok," I responded quietly. "Where are you going with is idea though, sis? How's this going to be better than opening an apothecary shop?"

Cathryn glanced down and smiled at me, "The idea first came to me when I was speaking with Lord and Lady Olivier. It struck me that it was rather uncouth, having a couple nobles standing before our shop counter like common customers. Luckily they're both very kind and understanding people. Think of this though? Instead of an appointment to a single noble, what if we focused our business on serving the various Lords and Ladies around here?"

Her eyes took on a slightly distant look as she described her plan, "Let them come to our humble shop where they'll have somewhere comfortable to sit, offer them a nice drink while they describe their requirements. We'll keep a stock of our basic potions, perhaps we'll also maintain a stock of some more exclusive offerings? But if we can become known for brewing unique, custom-made exotic elixirs, that will bring us fortune and perhaps fame unlike anything else."

"Hmm," I frowned slightly as I thought it over. It was certainly tempting, but it really depended on building a name and reputation around custom potions. And even though Lord Olivier was happy, I wasn't sure how many people would be willing to spend hundreds of platinum coins at a time for a potion. Even if it was a custom-brew.

I didn't get a chance to respond further, as we'd reached the stall of the herbalist who supplied many of our raw ingredients. And as Cat struck up a conversation with the older woman seated behind her stall I couldn't help noticing there seemed to be less product on display than usual.

In the past she'd had various plants and greenery piled deep on the counter, in baskets around the stall, even hanging in bundles from overhead. Now what she had on offer looked like it had already been picked-over. All the highest-quality herbs and plants were gone, and we were left with the remnants to choose from.

"Danielle what has happened to your produce?" Cathryn asked her. "I could understand if we'd come at the end of the day, but first thing in the morning? This isn't the quality I've come to expect from you."

The herbalist gave Cat and I an apologetic look, "Sorry Cathryn, this is the best Julia and I could come up with. Since the Duke conscripted all those men a couple weeks back all anyone can talk about is threat of war. The larger alchemy shops and a few noble houses are buying up everything as soon as it's picked. Or even before it's picked."

"And you're not going to like what that's done to the prices either," she added with a grimace. "You'll be paying twice as much, for herbs that are half the quality you're used to."

I sighed while my sister pursed her lips and frowned.

"Hmm," Cat appeared to think it over, then finally shook her head. "No, we'll have to pass I'm afraid. I require the best ingredients if I'm going to make the best potions."

"So what are we going to do?" I asked as I looked up at her.

My sister had another look at what was available, then stated "Some of this is usable. We won't be turning out health potions, but like I was saying earlier we can build our inventory in other ways. And I believe we'll have enough here that you can continue working on your current project."

With that seemingly settled, Cathryn didn't waste any time picking out several bundles of plants, flowers, and roots from what was left of the herbalist's stock. She carefully inspected everything, then finally got down to the haggling. The prices were a lot higher than they'd been in the past, but Cat still managed to talk Danielle down to a slightly more palatable rate.

With my basket fully loaded the two of us turned and headed back for home again.

"As soon as we have everything in the workshop, why don't you head back to market and stock up on food for the coming week?" my sister suggested. "Take extra coin, if talk of war is spreading then all the prices will be higher. Maybe buy extras of things that won't spoil, like salted meat and wine?"

I grimaced, "Good thinking sis. Are you sure you don't want my help putting all this away first?"

She smiled, "It can wait till you're back, apprentice."

"Right," I rolled my eyes. "Ok mistress alchemist, see you in a little while."

Cat grinned but focused on her own work while I hurried up the stairs to get some money from our housekeeping fund. With a couple dozen silver steeds tucked away in a coin purse that I hid in the folds of my simple dress, I made my way back downstairs and picked up my empty basket. Then finally I made my set out to the market again, to take care of our regular shopping.

As I started looking over the usual stalls and wares again I noticed something was different. When Cat and I were there just a half hour earlier the market was quieter, the mood a bit sombre and withdrawn due to the ongoing threat of war. But now, it felt like something had changed. There were some murmurs and whispers, and perhaps a few cautious smiles.

I approached the vendor I usually got our salted meat from, and after exchanging some typical pleasantries I asked "Is there news this morning? Or new rumours about?"

René nodded, "Couple young men just came through the market square 'bout ten minutes ago, claiming the war's off. Said they were conscripts, but they were released and told to go home."

"Ah," I responded. It seemed like good news, but until we knew for sure I could understand the mood around the market. Quiet cautious optimism seemed like the best way to handle this.

Either way it hadn't made any impact on the prices. For now the wealthy were still hoarding things incase of war, so the rest of us were faced with higher rates for lower quality goods.

I got us double our usual order of preserved meat, then continued around to other stalls as I gradually filled my basket with everything I'd need to feed me and Cat for another couple weeks. My last stop was to buy a cask or two of wine, and while I was haggling with Filipe we were both distracted by a commotion on the far side of the market square.

Thanks to my petite stature I couldn't see past the crowd that was already forming, but Filipe was tall and fortunately for me he was also talkative.

"Looks like more of them conscripts are back," he commented as he looked over that way. "At least a dozen of them. Relieved smiles all round."

"That's good news," I responded.

We eventually got back to business, and I managed to talk him down a little lower on the price this time around. I handed over the money, then it was a bit of a juggling act to get everything back home. Fortunately I'd worked out a system by this point. At least I didn't have to worry about not being able to lift it all, thanks to the strength potion Cat gave me.

I looped the basket handles over my left shoulder so it was held against my hip. It wasn't very stylish or comfortable, but it freed up both hands so I could carry the two casks as well. Some folks were surprised to see such a small girl as myself carrying that much, but Filipe was used to it.

Rather than head straight for home I actually took a slow round-about walk through the market again, and I made a point of listening to all the talk going on as I tried to pick up any news or rumours the former conscripts might have brought back with them.

It worked too, and by the time I got home I'd picked up some more news I could share with my big sister this afternoon. First though I headed up the stairs and put away all the new purchases, then I took care of the rest of my morning chores.

When I finally joined my sister in the workshop at around noon she was reviewing some of her notes, while all the herbs we bought earlier remained piled up waiting to be put away.

I hurried to take care of that while Cat commented, "Forgot about that did you cutie?"

"Maybe," I mumbled as my cheeks went red. "I got distracted by some news on my second visit to the market."

Cathryn glanced up, "Oh? Good news, or bad?"

"Good I hope?" I replied. "It seems like the war's called off. Conscripts are starting to return, saying they've been released."

My sister looked thoughtful, "That's definitely good news. No army means no war. We should see prices on our supplies drop steeply in the next week or so, since anyone who's stockpiled that stuff may start dumping it back into the market. Or at the very least, they'll not need to buy any more for a rather long time."

I asked, "That's good news for us, right?"

"Definitely," Cat replied with a grin. "We'll visit Danielle again next week, and if the price has dropped and the quality is good, then we'll stock up and ramp up production. Once brewed a healing potion doesn't go bad, so if we can take advantage of low-cost ingredients we'll build up a stockpile of potions to sell later at full price."

Naturally that appealed to the merchant in me, and I couldn't help smiling as well.

"Did you happen to hear anything else?" she asked a moment later. "Any idea why the sudden change of plans? Actually I assume it's because the Duke's kidnapped son has been returned unharmed?"

I grinned, since of course I saved the most interesting gossip for the end. "Actually none of the rumours I heard mentioned the boy's return. None of the conscripts saw him or heard anything about the boy coming home. Instead the gossip was that somehow it was determined that he wasn't kidnapped by that baron. And either way, it sounds like the Duke's given up looking for him."

My sister frowned for a few moments, then nodded "Ah. That probably means the boy fled, rather than being taken. It's rare, but some folks don't actually want to be nobility. Too much responsibility, too little freedom."

"Another reason is love," she added as her attention returned to her work. "Maybe the duke's son was in love with the wrong girl. Or the wrong boy. It's not just the noble daughters who get stuck in arranged marriages, after all."

I didn't comment on that, but it left me feeling fortunate once again that my life turned out the way it did. Granted there were still things to stress over, and after losing almost everything it'd probably be a long time before I stopped worrying about money. But on the whole, things were beginning to look up for Cat and me.

When I finished preparing & putting away the new purchases my sister put her notes aside then announced, "All right Valeria. Time to get started on your next big project. The counterpart to the Fertility potion is the Contraceptive potion. You'll be working on this start to finish by yourself, though of course I'm here to offer guidance and answer questions."

"A full batch should yield around two dozen doses," she added, "And will take seven or eight days to complete. Perhaps a little longer, since you're still learning after all."

"All right sis. Um..." I hesitated as I remembered what the base component of that potion was. Between the two of us, my sister was the only one with the anatomy to produce the required ingredient.

Cat smirked as she turned her chair around and spread her legs, "Fetch a jar Val, then you can get to work."

"Yes mistress alchemist," I replied with a cheeky grin.

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new chapters, bonus chapters, and more! Patrons have already read chapter 28 and you could too!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

61