C201: Find A Job (Part 1)
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Chapter 201: Find A Job (Part 1)

Erissen's perspective

...

...

...

...

...

...

"Ughhhhh...?". - Suddenly, for no reason, I woke up with my sleepy eyes while grabbing the bedsheet and my pillow

As I could remember, two weeks had passed since the previous incident. Today was day 5 of the first Autumn. Despite reporting to Lord Rigen, our case hadn't been solved yet, no reply from him, as if he had ignored us.

After losing my school and my house, my mom and I followed my dad to Veta castle to ask for the help of Lord John. But things didn't end well. We later followed my dad to Stansa - a new living place for us, living in a slum building.

Surrounded by homeless people, from the middle-aged to the old. From brothers to sisters, regardless of gender. They were very hospitable and kind to my mom and me, though maybe that was because my dad was that homeless leader, I guessed.

But just 3 days after living beside those homeless people, my mom unreasonably pulled me away from them by renting an inn. So I've been staying there, till this time. That was also the day I heard the news - (Information), John's homeland word was weird to me somehow.

Well, Raptu was released after being held in custody. My fox friend was so kind that she even visited me after getting released, but I gently refused. Because I was scared that if we met each other, I would have caused trouble for my friend once again. So I asked John to be on behalf of me to apologize to Raptu straightly.

My mom also got a job now, she was now working in Veta castle as a maid. Could only visit me twice a week, every weekend, for a short time. About my father, he was now nowhere to be seen, he said he was too busy to work in Veta police department. Maybe my mom was right somehow to call my dad a running person. Only knows to hide from reality.

"So hungry...shit...". - Well, these days were a little cold, especially when I woke up in the early morning, fogs could be seen a bit outside of the windows, another day...sigh!

Anyway, I did not hate my dad. Maybe he had hard things to say about it, too complicated for his circumstances. Especially when I know I had the Royal bloodline, which was very sick. Maybe His Majesty was right to blame me, and got me expelled from the school. Since I got access to education, could be his future threat, so he tried to purge my house and my mom's job, even my future in the school.

Now I was quite hungry, I later got out of my bed tiredly, and started tidying it before going out to have breakfast. After a short time, I had tidied my bed so I left it there while pulling out the closet to find something to wear. Shortly grabbed out a brown cloak and wore it to extend the warmth since behind it was my brown tunic...so cold!

"Sweet home Warsaw...". - Anyway, this inn was just a cheap one and was very near the slum, maybe I should visit the elders and the uncles after having breakfast

I shortly approached the cabinet, so I pulled out each drawer to take my belongings. Which was my money bag, my new citizen card...maybe they were all, I think so.

After grabbing my stuff, I came out of my room and closed the door, walked downstairs to see the owner. This cheap inn had an elder owner named Lera - she was an old lady with full grey hair, very kind. I kept walking downstairs until reached the ground floor, about head outside to have breakfast.

"Good morning, madame". - As I saw Lera when she was standing at the wooden stall, my words had been said out to greet her the morning

"Hello you too, Eli".  "Anyway, your mom just returned here recently, and gave you something, here". - The inn owner also greeted me while pulling out a small bag from a drawer below the stall

"What's this, madame?". - I slowly received the bag from Lera and pulled it out, seeing there was some money inside

"The money your mom sent you, little girl...she got it quite much from her job". - Normally, a maid would be paid after working for a week, but this money, my mom received quite early...and even more than usual

"She works hard because of your future, don't make your mom disappointed, Eli".

"Understood, madame...".  "Have a good day, I've got things to do now, bye". - After saying goodbye to Lera, I ran upstairs to my room to store the money and then went downstairs to get out of the inn, to have breakfast

Anyway, now my mom and I were living in new identities. This time, my citizen card's name was Eli - not Erissen anymore, while my mom was Milia. To flee from the King, not to let him find us. Anyway...now I must bathe first before doing anything.

While walking on the streets with the cold outside, I looked around and saw the right side street had a public building. That was a public restroom house, to get in to solve the problems must have money. By the way, there was no public bathroom, I have to bathe in the prepared bath inside the inn, which cost money...sigh!

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

I regretted it a lot now, bathing in the cold early morning was a stupid idea. Now I had done solving my private problems. But was grabbing my clothes, tightening my cloak to my body while walking on the streets to find a food shop. Should have saved the money to buy a fine coat instead of wearing this old shit cloak to wander around the streets.

Despite wearing two clothes, a tunic and a cloak at a same time. But my body still felt it was cold while walking on the cold streets to find a food shop, well, must have a light. After walking and glancing around the streets, I spotted an outdoor food shop on the left side which I always stop by to eat there.

Now the food shop was a bit crowded but I could see there was still an empty seat on the right side of the ground. Taking the opportunity, I walked there fastly while facing the cold, so annoying.

But at last, I managed to take over the seat. I sat down at the dining table happily though the way I sit seemed to be a bit miserable. It was still cold. Meanwhile, I saw a waiter in a brown tunic approaching me so I took out my money bag to pour...

Wait a minute, I must be wiser a bit. Though this food shop was my familiar place but I must also be cautious with the owner here too.

"Ahhhh...young lady, you came here to eat again?". - The waiter approached me and greeted me with his nervousness...he was quite odd today, wasn't he?

"Like usual, 3 potatoes and 2 full bread, quick". - I was so hungry, must also save money, those things could fill my stomach though they were not so nutritious to eat...sigh!

"Right away". - The waiter nodded and turned around, walked inside the food shop with the empty wooden plate he was leaning to his armpit

After ordering the meal, I sat there to wait for him to return with my ordered things, to eat them right away. I poured out a green Gel coin from my money bag, holding it by my hand while raising it above and sighed. We used to have many Atta coins, but now lost all of them...sigh!

Gel currency of Warsaw was not as valuable as Atta of Jager or Attenta. Especially when His Majesty banned Attenta people from living in Warsaw regions that were near Attenta's border. From that time, Warsaw Kingdom only uses Gel currency, not powerful Atta anymore...

One Atta to be 10 Gels. When the military in Warsaw was raised, inflation went high, everything becomes costly. Yesterday, this kind of meal only cost 12 Gels, now 15 Gels, fuck this regime...sigh!

At least I was in Stansa, the food taxes here seemed to be cheaper than other regions. This Lord was a very caring and responsible woman. Though the cost of this meal was still much to me. Because I could only earn 20 to 30 Gels a day through my weapon forger job in a local weapon shop in this town...sigh!

I was not capable to do the job but that weapons shop owner accepted me to get into work. The job was quite simple, forging the weapons for 3 hours to earn 10 Gels. Very fast paid but little money. Though I was quite lucky to do the job with my slim body. Today was sunday so I could not do the job, since that shop was off today. Must find another job to help my own now, cannot depend on the money my mom sends me for any longer, must have a light!

Fuck the King! Fuck you!

While cursing the King in my mind, I held the coin while looking around to see busy lives on the streets. Also seeing the scenes the other customers in this outdoor food shop were enjoying their meals, I wished I was them!

While focused looking around the eating ground, I saw a man customer at the table next to me, he was very enjoyed to eat a chicken. His hands were holding a wooden knife and a wooden fork. Now he was cutting some pieces of the cooked chicken thigh while grabbing those pieces to eat slowly...and deliciously.

To be honest...another one from the table behind me also enjoyed eating her meal. Maybe I was the poorest one to order this meal in the shop. Now my mouth was a bit watering while wishing for a good meal like theirs. I only knew to watch their eating scenes while making a cold breath to my little coin.

Without the money to pay for a meal, even to put a little in my stomach. I'll die for sure. Now must find another part-time job that could earn more money than the weapon forger one. Without money in this society, I'll be doomed for sure, must save as much as possible to buy meals for the homeless.

After that, I returned the coin to my money bag and sealed it. While wishing for a great meal like the man eating the chicken thighs...though, it was nothing but an unreal wish. Nothing I can do with the money I was having. Must save the money because I was terribly poor...though I hated to be called like that...sigh!

"Here's your order, young lady, have good taste". - When I was looking at the people who were enjoying their meals in the shop, the waiter's voice sounded to me, my meal was now here

I immediately turned my head to the table I was sitting at as the placing sound landed on its surface. This guy had removed my meal bowls from his wooden plate and put them on the table carefully. Wait a minute...something was wrong with my ordered meals, I did not order chickens to be my meal.

Well, three bowls could be seen placed next to each other. One bowl was 3 round potatoes, the rests were the bowls with two full bread and two hot chicken thighs. Noticing that something was very wrong with my meals, I looked up to call the waiter back to question him.

"Hey, is there something wrong with my meal, waiter? I did not order these chickens". - Suddenly when I was questioning the waiter, a hand of someone from behind gently put on his shoulder

The waiter later stepped behind and a middle-aged figure stepped up. That was this outdoor food shop owner, he was the first one I met the first time eating in this place.

"Young lady, just feel free at home, eat naturally".

"But I didn't order these chickens, I don't have enough money to pay for them". - Actually, my money bag would run out if I pay for these chicken thighs

"Don't worry, another one had already paid for your meals, she asked us to take good care of you, young lady". - Who would be that much generous to pay for me the entire breakfast? Did that woman have any ambition for me by doing this?

"Do you know who was her?".

"I don't know about her".  "Just a maid lady came here and paid for the meals but later another lady in green stepped in".  "She asked that maid lady to let her pay for your meals instead, that's all I know to tell you, very sorry". - A maid lady? That could be my mom...but who was the lady in green?

"Just feel like at home, eat till you're full, young lady".  "Good taste". - After saying goodbye, the shop owner turned behind and was about to walk inside his shop

"Wait a bit".

"Yes, young lady?". - The shop owner turned his head to me

"Ummm...now I'm finding a job for me to work to earn money, may I work here?".

"Are you a fast hand, young lady?".

"Ummm...maybe".

"You know how to knead bread dough?".

"Shakes head!".

"Taking the animal's organs?". - Ummm, I mostly cut the limbs of animals to cook, never experienced the way of taking their organs

"Shakes head!".

"Then I cannot help you anything, young lady".

"But I can learn fast, may I?".

"Sorry, we don't spend time training the cooks, we need them to do the jobs when they're newly recruited to this place". - Alright, I understood it...sigh

"Nod!". - I nodded to the shop owner to let him know I had nothing else to ask, he later walked inside the shop

I sighed once again while sniffing the good smells of the chicken thighs. Because the meals looked so delicious so I grabbed the eating tools from a round box on the table. Later holding a small wooden knife in my right hand and a wooden fork in my left hand, about to enjoy this nice delicious meal.

...

...

...

...

...

...

Alright...I was so full after eating the previous delicious meal, could not forget about its taste, still in my head now. After eating my breakfast, I realized that the homeless people in my dad's slum building were now in there.

Some of them must have eaten but some hadn't, I guessed so. That was why I returned to my inn and grabbed out some money that my mom gave me this morning to buy the meals for the people in that building. After buying the meals, I put them inside the wooden boxes and wrapped them up. Now was moving to the slum since the place was very close to the inn I was staying in.

Now I was moving on the streets to find the slum's location. Since I know exactly where it was, the path I was going was about to reach it. My father didn't live there regularly anymore. According to him, he stays at the police station to work there, if things get available then he can react and work well immediately as he wants.

But sometimes, my dad would return to the slum to visit his folks, asking if they need help while trying to do what he could in a short time to support the people there. After a short time of thinking, my feet kept walking onward. Now those elders must be very hungry so these boxes must be delivered to their hands as fast as possible.

At this time, I walked faster on the streets while thinking about the other problems. Since my part-time job was only available from monday to friday, with a poor salary. With that weapon forger job, my money would not be able to take care of the homeless elders. Saving money could only help myself but not them...sigh...shit...

And I never want to use my mom's money. If I was able to become an official weapon forger worker in that shop, my salary would be paid twice or triple than it was. I was not an official worker yet so I was not required to work in the shop every day or 8 hours a day. So basically, I can quit that job if I want...sigh.

No more going around my problems. Now I must need a second part-time job with a higher salary than the weapon forger one or would join homelessness shortly. Maybe this was the time my school bag and the study tools become useful in my life in society. I still keep them in the inn, those things must be costly to sell out, I hope so.

Though...I wanted to keep those books and tools. Getting educated taught me many things about city life. Shortly to say, I don't want to sell the school bag or even the things inside it. But now those things were useless...I wish they could be re-useful for education once again.

I kept walking on the streets and turned in the direction that would lead to the slum's location. Shortly after that, the alley which was the slum's entrance had now appeared in front of me. The walls which covered the slum building seemed to be downgraded after years of abandoning. This street way was also empty for a while now, it needs more people.

"Old...maybe I should meet the Lord someday...". - Maybe I should report back to Stansa's lord about this downgrade location, it needs to be rebuilt to comfortable these homeless elders' lives

Ignoring the dirtiness of the alley, I walked in while holding the wrapped meal boxes in my hands, preparing to give them to the elders inside. Just like usual, I walked inside the alley and kept moving till I saw the crash hole which was the slum's entrance.

I crouched down and moved in, seeing the scenery around me seem to be a bit different from a week ago. The elders and others could be seen sitting on the handmade wooden chairs. Some were on the floor, people were eating the things like meal bowls which were placed on the round log tables. The meals seemed didn't enough so those people were eating while sharing, poor them.

The positive was that there were lights in there, such as some candles and a small lantern on each table. These fine elders in this slum must have been very rough and miserable to take care of the handicapped ones...sigh...

"Eli, you come here again?". - When I stood up and was about to greet the people, a familiar voice called me

Its source sounded from the left side, I looked in that direction and saw a figure in the corner. I called him uncle Raul - a handicapped one with his lost hands. As I could remember, uncle Raul used to be a war veteran who fought in the 30 years ago war between Warsaw and Attenta.

Beside uncle Raul was uncle Mark, both of them were now old but looked like a couple of good brotherhoods. One lost his legs while one lost his hands, both of them always helped each other in the activities in this home.

"Oh, you're here?".  "Welcome back, little girl".  "Thank the Goddess that you returned here with us...". - While staring at those uncles, the elders who were eating at the log tables noticed my appearance, they greeted me

"Hello, people...".  "I'm glad to know all of you're well". - Well, I wanted to wave to them but my hands were holding the wrapped boxes so I could only smile

"These things, I see you people don't have enough meals so I brought them here, please enjoy, hehe". - Shortly, I approached the people while putting down the wrapped boxes on a log table

The cloths were removed from the boxes and I put each box on each log table, also thanked for the assistance of the elders for helping me.  Short time later, each log table was full of meal boxes, these elders could now eat as they wanted now.

"Thank you very much, little girl...".  "Thank you, thank you, thank you".  "Here, take a seat, please eat with us...". - Now some elders thanked me a lot, some of them even asked me to eat with them

"Ummm, sorry...".  "I'm full now, please enjoy your breakfast, people...".

"Thank you very much...".  "Thank you, little girl...". - Those elders kept thanking me, after a short time persuading them, I managed to get out of the elder crowds

After getting out, I saw that uncle Mark kept tapping on the right side wall which corner he and uncle Raul was sitting on. As if to invite me to sit alongside them. I accepted and shortly sat down in the corner, beside uncle Raul.

"You looked miserable back then, hahahaha...". - Raul greeted me with a soft smile, because I had struggled to pass the elders crowd earlier  

I didn't know what to reply so I just simply smiled back at him while looking around the room to see the people. Most of the elders were eating very well, they seemed very happy to eat what I bought for them. But till now, I hadn't seen Horo - my dad's friend yet...strange, where was she?

"Where's Horo?".

"Well, she's finding your dad, Eli...maybe will come back later, don't worry about her". - Finding my dad? But now he was in the police station

"Raul, Mark! Get here to eat some, Eli bought us some food here, no need to stay starved anymore, join us". - Suddenly, a voice from a log table sounded out, asking uncle Raul and Mark to join

"No thanks, we want to sit here a bit, enjoy the meals...". - Mark raised his hand to ask the elders to eat without waiting for him and Raul

"Anyway, uncle Mark".  "You don't eat with those people?".

"No, not really...".  "Because there was not enough food for all so we volunteered to sit here with our empty stomachs".  "Those folks need more food than us, we can stand it, but thanks for your support".

"We'll eat later, don't worry". - Understood, uncle Raul

"Your face doesn't look good today, Eli...what's wrong?".

"Well...now I need a job with a fine salary to live...but the current one is too poorly paid".  "My mom does give me money but I don't want to be depended on her anymore".  "These two days are rest days so my current part-time job's now closed, I need to find another one to earn money".

"Don't be too worried about it, Eli...you're still young, just remember to work hard, save your money more to use it when you face unpredictable things in the future".

"Thanks for your advice, uncle Raul". - Well, I knew that he would say it

"It's bad to hear you got expelled and now have to go out of the streets to work for money, Eris".  "But you know? Don't worry if you have no degree...if you have it but cannot apply what you learned in school in life then it's just a paper".  "Anyway...you said you want to find a job, isn't it?".

"Yes, uncle Raul".

"Our Lord has just built up an elementary school near here, she needs teachers and workers there, it might help".  "I know your job may be rough but you must know earning money's not easy, it's a long progress, life's hard for all of us".

"Understood...". - Working in the school? But which job? A janitor? Maybe I should not complain, having a job for a dropout like me was enough, must learn it from this elder

"Hey, Eris...". - Suddenly, uncle Mark spoke to me as if he wanted to say out something

"Yes...?".

"There's a draft on the info board outside, a woman needs a teacher to teach her little sister, you take it?". - What did he mean?

"I don't understand yet...".

"This region has only an education camp so the number of people getting in and out there is quite much, doesn't have much space".  "Maybe the one who posted the draft has a need for education, did you see it yet?".

"No...shakes head!". - Maybe my school things were about to be useful to me again

"I think you should get there to see it, Eli...".  "Just don't be disappointed, your life's still long, keep going strong, don't look back and regret anything, time cannot return". - After encouraging me, uncle Mark tapped my shoulder while staring at Raul

"Maybe we should eat a bit now...".  "So hungry this time, thank you again for giving us breakfast, Eli...".  "Remember to stay strong when you go out there, good luck".

"Let's go, Raul...". - After saying goodbye, uncle Mark asked Raul to carry him to get on the log table to join the breakfast with others

Warmly that uncle Raul later crouched to let Mark grab his back, by leaning his hands through his shoulders from behind to hug Raul. Later, Raul stood up with Mark on his back. Carrying him to the log table and putting his good friend down to eat and enjoy the breakfast alongside other elders...so happy to look at.

Seeing the people eating their meals in happiness, I slowly vanished my existence to let them have their good time. Just silently stepped away from the slum building and headed outside when they were having fun with their breakfast. Maybe I should find a job quickly...though my mom's given money was also quite much.

But I never wanted to be depended on others...must be on my own.

Just like that, I slowly stepped my feet forward. Heading to the north of the street to find the info board. Back then in Jager, most people were illiterated so they could only ask others to write and speak for them the letters' meanings which were posted on the board.

Now in Warsaw, the literal percentage here was not so high too.  Except for 3 regions, Veta, Stansa and Spera. From outside to inside, different from the rest of the country. In other places of Warsaw, education was prohibited for commoners, only nobles could get access to it.

But in Warsaw, especially this Stansa, education was free so everyone could learn if they had a need for it. Though most people in this place only learned the words...at least they were better than the ones from other places.

I kept walking on the street while looking around to find the info board. Maybe I should go further, since the board area was a bit far from here. Just as I expected after walking a bit farther, there was an info board on the left side of the street. 

I approached the info board shortly while looking around. Just seeing people standing near it while reading the newest infos on that wooden board, kind of daily reports of the entire region's affairs. They were not too crowded so I got in easily while moving my eyes around the board to see the infos up there. 

After a short time looking up the board, I managed to see a draft that was written by a woman. According to her, her little sister wants to be educated but the education camp was not enough for all, so struggled to learn. Now this woman wanted to hire someone to teach her little sister...hmmm.

Maybe I should try, 'cause the salary was not so high...but acceptable. About 15 Gels paid per week, seemed fair to me, I'll surely take it. After reading the draft, I slowly tore the paper and took it away from the board. I put the shredded draft in my pants pocket and left.

"Hey, little girl...you look quite young, want to find a job?". - Suddenly, when I was away from the board, a voice called me from behind

I turned around to look and noticed that was an informing man, he would be one of the people who had the duty to report the daily infos of the region every morning. His outfit was quite simple, a tunic and a round cloth hat, all in blue. Combined with the brown high boots and a slight yellow handbag that was strapped to his right shoulder.

His hands were holding a stash of papers or something. He kept calling me by waving his hand so I moved to him and automatically received a small paper as I approached him. Due to my curiosity, I took a look at the paper, later realized it was a recruit paper, calling for people to be the teachers in the newly built elementary school in Stansa.

"There might be a job for you in there, little girl".  "Just take it".

"Yeah...uhhh, thanks". - The recruitment would occur on day 12th of this month, means a week later 

I later walked away while keeping my eyes on the paper to see more details written in there...interesting. Maybe I should get to the castle and ask the Lord to let me work as a school's janitor. Since the teacher's salary was 1.200 Gels a month, being a janitor might have a smaller pay but at least worth it...hehehe.

New info I found that. Normal people could also become teachers, but have to get in 3 months of training after getting recruited from the interview. The reason was quite...silly to think about, don't know what to say.

Because the school's education system was far different from the traditional one of Warsaw so the recruitment was very strict. She could have recruited Warsaw teachers from the Capital but she didn't. Because their years of teaching and experience made them follow the traditional system style.

That was why this Lord also allowed people to join the recruitment. Though...if she found the traditional teachers were fine enough, maybe she would change her mind. So that was what I thought...quite silly.

If I can become the school's janitor, then I would have to quit the weapon forger and the teaching for the little girl in the draft I took earlier. Maybe.

But I would like to find out more about the teaching stuff so I would head to the address of the little girl's house. In case I fail the interview the week later, I can have another chance with the part-time jobs.

"Ummmmm! Ummmm! Ummmm!". - Suddenly, when I was crossing the street while coming across an empty alley, my body felt to get grabbed and pulled inside

"Ummmm! Ummmm! Ummmm!". - My mouth was grabbed tightly by a hand, the one who pulled me inside had pushed me to the wall...help!

"Shhh! Shhh! Don't be scared, it's me, Eris...". - A low familiar voice sounded out from the one who abducted me, I was quite panicked but tried to calm down while looking at his face

That was Raptu as I could see, she was wearing a green cloak with her head hooded. For some reason, strangely that she met me by using this way...as if she was hiding from something...wait a minute!

Raptu slowly stopped grabbing me and let me off, she kept looking around and stared at me.

"Sorry...just too worried about you after long time no see, I just wanted to make sure you're safe, Eris". - This time, she was supposed to be in the school to join the military training, this means...she defected?!

1