Chapter VII: Assassination Attempt – 2
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The rain turned into a downpour. They drove through the streets and sat in silence. Only the engine's hum and the rain's tapping on the windshield were heard; V'zul shivered and clutched his necklace as he stared out the window. Buildings, people, and streetlights were all visible. He looked at the backseat expecting his wife to be there, but to his worry, she was not. He turned and stared at the windshield, watching the wipers move back and forth.

Avalon glanced at him and bit his lip. "You doin' alright?" he said in a rough voice, "I know back there was…."

"Please," V'zul said. "I don't wish to discuss this."

They fell silent again.

Above them, Katie stood on top of a building. She watched their car move and leaped onto rooftops to follow them. Through the rain, she saw the car trailing them from behind. Her eyes narrowed and continued to follow.

V'zul's phone vibrated. He checked it and saw the message, "there's a car following you." He looked at the rearview mirror and barely made out its shape. "Avalon," he tapped his shoulder. "Someone's following us."

He looked over his shoulder and saw the car, "Seriously? These guys had a plan B just in case."

"I guess whoever sent them didn't expect us to die."

V'zul kept his eyes on the mirror and drew his pistol. Avalon followed suit and tensed. "You better hold on tight, boy, 'cause I'm about to step on the gas."

"What's the plan here exactly?"

"Lose 'em."

They stopped at a red light. The car pulled next to them and sat with the engine going. Avalon looked at the car, and a wide-eyed grin began to creep up his face. V'zul also looked at the car and held his breath. When the light turned green, Avalon slammed on the gas; the car engine roared like a beast, and accelerated. V'zul was pushed into the seat and tightened his pistol grip. Behind them, the lights turned on, and their pursuers chased. He looked at the rearview mirror and saw them keeping pace.

"They're on our ass!" he shouted.

Avalon licked his lips and kept focus. They approached a red light with people crossing. He swerved the car around them and turned left.

"Woo!" Avalon cheered. He cackled as he passed honking cars and kept making more turns. "You alright, V'zul!?"

He was still pressed against the seat, "I'm fine! Don't worry about me!"

Gunfire was heard, and bullets tore through the back window. V'zul lowered his head and clenched his teeth. Avalon stared at the road, still laughing.

"Get your head down!"

He glanced at him and then back at the road, "No, can do!"

V'zul aimed his pistol behind him and fired back at the attackers. Their car swerved to the left and right. They returned fire, this time with automatic rifles. The bullets flew past them, some nicking at their clothes. Avalon abruptly stopped the car, jerking them forward. V'zul narrowly stopped himself from smacking his head against the vehicle. As for the pursuers, they flew right past their car.

"Hit 'em now!" Avalon shouted.

V'zul aimed and fired at the car as Avalon kicked open the door and crouched behind it. People screamed and ran as cars sped away from the shootout.

The men used their doors as cover too.

"Keep on them!" one of the men shouted.

Katie landed behind them, grabbed one of their heads, and ripped it off; a spurt of crimson jumped into the night. The second man turned around and gasped with widened eyes. She gripped his throat and aimed two of her claws at his eyes, stabbing into them and twisting.

V'zul exited the vehicle and ran towards her. "Katie!" He hugged her and guided her back to the car. She opened the back door and swiftly stepped inside.

"Time to get the fuck outta here!" Avalon shouted.

Katie reached out of the doorway and curled her fingers around V'zul's working wrist. "Get in the back with me," she said urgently.

Behind him, there was a flicker of light on the rooftop. She quickly pulled him in and slammed the door shut. "Avalon, go! There's a sniper!"

He pressed on the gas pedal,… no movement. The car choked as he tried to start the engine, but there was nothing.

"Fuck!" Avalon slammed his fist on the steering wheel.

Katie kicked open the door — knocking it off its hinges, and stepped out of the vehicle while holding her husband.

"Follow me!" Avalon said.

She turned and looked at the rooftop. A pair of green eyes were seen, violently shifting through the rain. A smile appeared on her face. Katie turned around and picked up V'zul, and followed Avalon. They entered an alleyway and sprinted to the other side of it.

"We need shelter," Katie said. "He's going to get sick!"

"Of course, gettin' out of here wasn't gonna be so damn easy!" Avalon shouted.

She kicked open the backdoor of a building. They entered an empty, gray office. In front of them was a red door; the sound of rave music and people cheering was heard on the other side. She gently let V'zul on his feet and scanned his body.

"I'm alright," V'zul said, placing his hand on her shoulder. "Just some nicks on the suit."

She sighed with relief and turned towards the door. "What now?"

"Simple," Avalon said, pressing his phone against his ear. "I'm gonna call my guys to get over here. We'll get a car for you, and get you guys to an airport."

The door opened, and a man in a suit entered the room. He glanced up and saw them.

"What the-!"

Katie dashed and forced him into a headlock, covering his mouth. V'zul quietly closed the door and watched her drag him to the center of the room. She squeezed his neck until he passed out and dragged him under the desk.

"Problem solved," she said.

"Okay, guys," Avalon laughed. "I got boys comin' down. We'll just chill back here until they arrive."

Katie's torso suddenly exploded into a black and purple mess. She fell to the floor, bleeding violently. V'zul's heart sank. He froze in place, staring at his wife on the floor. Avalon quickly grabbed him and kicked down the door. They were assaulted with an array of bright lights, women, and men dancing on large poles, and hundreds of people sitting, dancing, and smoking.

Another bullet came through the wall, narrowly missing Avalon's head, and popping the head of someone behind him. Their bodies were caked with crimson. They frantically sprinted up a red staircase. More bullets came through the wall opposite of them and tore through more screaming guests.

"Keep moving!" Avalon shouted. They reached the second floor and ran into a red, luxurious hallway. "How the hell does this bastard see us?!" They sprinted into a room full of naked people and took cover behind a bed. The people saw the crimson on their bodies and ran out of the room.

"Why the hell did we stop!" V'zul said, panicked.

"Well, we can't go outside!"

Another bullet pierced the wall. It struck the bed, causing it to blow up. They were launched backward from the force and slammed into the wall. V'zul's vision blurred, nearly passed out. He shook his head and gripped his cross. "I have an idea!" He crouched next to Avalon and pressed the cross to his chest, and made a silent prayer. Another bullet tore through the wall. It bounced off a white-ward surrounding their bodies. There was a pause before six more shots assaulted them. Each impact caused V'zul to tense harder. Veins popped on his forehead and arms. Blood leaked from his mouth as he maintained his focus. After a few more shots, the bullets ceased.

He shook in place. His breathing was heavy, and he almost fainted from the pain. Avalon stared at him and stood. He wrapped his arms around V'zul's waist and lifted him.

"Keep the shield going, buddy. I'm gonna try and get us out of here."

Keep…focus… I must keep focus.

Abruptly, another bullet struck the shield, knocking Avalon down. V'zul fell on his injured arm; a loud snap echoed through the room. He widened his eyes and gritted his teeth but still held on.

"Where are my guys!" Avalon roared.

"Right here," a deep voice said from behind.

He turned around and saw Partner crouched next to them.

"I'll carry you both to safety."

He reached to grab them but stopped abruptly. "Er, you're going to have to take that shield down."

"Do it, my guy!" Avalon said. "And you! You better have some damn good runnin' legs 'cause this guy will see you!"

"Don't worry, my new friends."

V'zul lowered the shield and was immediately picked up by him. He sprinted with supernatural speed and broke through a window. He landed on the ground and dashed down the street. He dodged the onslaught of bullets and ran far enough to escape the sniper.

 


 

He ran for ten minutes. They were taken into a dark forest and hid in the dark. Partner sat V'zul rested against a tree. He was still panting from the shield's toll.

Avalon popped his knuckles and patted Partner's back.

"You're better than my own men!" he laughed. "If you can run this fast, you could get him out of the city."

"No can do," he shook his head. "These guys got the entire city layered. And with the number of demonic entities they have, I'll get caught and killed pretty quick."

"Shit!" Avalon shouted, kicking a tree. "What the hell are we gonna do?"

"My wife," V'zul said, exhausted. "We left her back there. I-i…" he shook again, and tears welled up. "Her body. She, she."

Partner knelt next to him and rubbed his back. "Rest, friend. You've been through a lot tonight."

Katie…

Exhaustion finally took hold. His eyes shut. Avalon sat across from him, and Partner crossed his arms as he leaned against a tree.

0