Imposter (2)
88 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Knock, knock.

“…?”

Disoriented and with my hair resembling a thundercloud, I hurriedly sat up in bed.

Knock, knock, knock!

"Geez, okay! I'm coming!" I grumbled as I fumbled to light a nearby lamp.

As I looked out the window, I noticed that the bright morning sunbeams had been replaced by a dull grey. How long was I out? Had we already exited the imperial city?

“KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!”

The knocking had started to sound more like gunfire to my half-asleep brain. I stumbled as I rushed to open the door, my blanket still wrapped around me. When I opened it, I was greeted by a flood of light.

“Mr. Kallius Alistair?”

“That’s me,” I replied groggily. 

Before me was a man dressed in the attendant’s uniform. He scanned me from head to toe. What now? I was in the middle of a heavenly nap when you cruelly woke me up. It’s your fault I appear so messy…

"Alright then, Mr. Alistair,” the attendant continued. “This is just a reminder that your recreational payment owed is due in an hour. Please be present in your relative lounging area by then to pay the amount as a cheque or in cash."

"…huh?"

The attendant had turned to head for the next cabin and ignored my obvious confusion.

“Hey!”

Without thinking, I hooked two of my fingers inside the back of his collar, pulling him towards me. 

“Hey. What did you mean by that?”

Now, I thought I was asking a reasonable question. But the sight of a man with an unpleasant face holding another by the collar was certainly not reasonable. The look the attendant gave me was truly a sight to behold.

“Sir. Please. Tell me what I have done to offend you,” he stammered.

I immediately let him go and took a step back. Shit. I still had the last remnants of sleep in me. I was careless and frightened a man who was just doing his job.

“Sorry. I’m just a little confused.” I tried again, but a bit more politely. “I was only aware of lodging and meal costs, which my father already paid for. Which payment are you referring to?”

The man looked at me like I had lost my mind.

“Mr. Alistair,” he said firmly. “I understand that it is a hefty sum, but that’s a part of gambling. You chose to take that risk, and now you must pay the ladies you bet against. Rules are rules.”

It was like he was speaking in another language. Gambling? I know the ship has entertainment lounges for adults, where gambling and drinking are common activities. But I haven’t even visited that area yet!

“Th-there must be some mistake!” I cried. “I’ve never gambled before in my entire life! Are you certain you have the right person?”

The attendant looked like he had had enough, as he pinched the bridge of his nose and close his eyes in frustration.

“I’ll extend the payment due for tomorrow. It seems like you have had quite a lot this evening. Good night, Mr. Alistair.”

Before I could register what he had said, he briskly walked away and to the next cabin.

“Had quite a” what…? Did he just imply that I had been getting smashed?! Why that little-

I grit my teeth but then shook my head.

No. I need to first solve this misunderstanding. Maybe Via knows something about this. I doubt she has been gambling under my name, but I should still check.

***

“Who are you?”

As I knocked at the door of the cabin where Octavia was staying, an elderly lady about the age of 70 answered the door. She was a small, gentle-looking woman. She wore round, silver glasses with decorative chains hanging from both sides. She smiled warmly at me as a grandmother would.

“Um, hello,” I said, failing to hold back a yawn. “My name is Kallius, and I was hoping to see Octavia. Is she… in right now…?”

Tsk. I still hadn’t completely woken up yet.

The lady’s eyes wavered with doubt. It seemed like she didn’t know who I was talking about. I tried to think of another way I could describe Octavia to her. As I pondered, my eyes shifted to the name plait on the old lady’s sweater. It read ‘I am Ms. Drago. Please bear with me, my memory isn’t very good.’ 

Fantastic. What a hopeless pair we were. We both looked at each other in silence, our minds muddled in their own ways. I was too tired to even describe Octavia’s attire for her, and Ms. Drago couldn’t recall her own roommate’s name. From an outsider’s perspective, the two of us were a peculiar sight to behold. A pale young man struggling to keep his eyes open, having a staring contest with a sweet old lady in the middle of the hallway. 

Suddenly, my own words echoed inside my mind. “You’re blinding yourself by wearing that you know.”

“She… she wears an eyepatch,” I finally said; triumphantly, as if I had won our imaginary battle. Though I would have preferred to refer to Octavia by other means, I simply couldn’t remember what else she had been wearing today. A white dress? Or maybe it was red…?

Ms. Drago suddenly brightened. 

“Oh yes! That sweet little girl. Are you friends with her, young man? Yes, yes, she went to the lounge to get us a spot of tea. What a sweet girl that- um…?”

“Octavia.” I finished for her.

“Yes, yes,” beamed Ms. Drago. “You can find her if you go down this hallway.”

“I see. Thanks.” I replied curtly. I didn’t bother explaining that I wasn’t just Octavia’s friend; my tired self simply wouldn’t allow for it.

I headed for the lounge. The creaky hallway wasn’t very well-lit; the lights lining the ceiling flickered periodically.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

My steady walk soon turned into a swaying mess. I yawned heavily as I went, causing me to momentarily close my eyes. But that moment was prolonged, as I couldn’t find the willpower to open them again. Like a sleepwalker, I continued forward.

Damn that attendant. I was having such a nice nap…

Tap. Tap- 

“Oof!”

4