Chapter 67
121 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A city cannot be built in a day, but with Eleanor’s now overflowing power, the process is going smoothly.

She’s able to clear the forested area with the help of her loyal conduits and lay the groundwork for what would later become the holy city, Medallion. Although her plan now is only to build a small commune for her cult.

Shhh! Don’t use the c-word—they’re listening!

Honestly, if Saint Eleanor’s followers haven’t realized that they’re a literal devil-worshiping cult at this point then there’s no saving them.

Lady Tessa Tate’s construction company will be handling the development of the infrastructure, with Duchess Gilda pulling the strings behind the scenes to make sure they receive all the necessary permits.

Seeing these powerful people so effortlessly redrawing the map makes you wonder why the potholes in front of my house haven’t been fixed in the past ten years.

If you can’t be bothered to fix the pothole in front of your house yourself, then you’re part of the problem.

Hey, I pay my taxes! … Occasionally.

As news of the famous young priestess building a new settlement travels far and wide, the kingdom’s many watchful eyes pivot to her direction. Merchants, aristocrats, and opportunists alike smell money in the air, each eager for their piece of the pie.

Grifters set up stalls, selling items and knick-knacks, said to be blessed by Eleanor herself. Shoeless holy men give out prophecies by the roadside, and swarthy men and women sing and dance in their colorful tents.

The atmosphere is festive, though there are several unhappy faces in the flock. Several real priests and nuns begin to arrive, and they’re not impressed with what they’re seeing.

They watch as Eleanor performs her miracles and mock them as bogus.

“Did you see that, brothers? She merely waves her hand and the so-called cripple can walk again. Ha! They couldn’t be bothered to make it look convincing.”

“I watched her entire performance, and not once did I feel mana emanating from her. She’s nothing but a waste playing pretend! By right, she should be flogged to death!”

“Calm yourselves, brothers and sisters. It is not the child we are after, but the ones pulling her strings and making a mockery of our order. Brother Luca, Sister Lilly, we need to gather information regarding the inner politics of her cult. So we ask that both of you blend in with the devotees and observe as much as you can.”

“It will be done, Brother Leon!”

As the priests concoct their schemes, the Devil listens in on them with mild interest. But feeling the hatred naturally emanating from them, she decides it’s best to let them do as they please and reap the reward.

Those from the Temple of Ceram are not merely observing Eleanor’s operations, several of them try to sow the seed of doubt in Eleanor’s followers. This too, the Devil allows to transpire with glee.

“I don’t give a damn if you morons hate Eleanor, Adrian, or Amelia, as long as your delicious hatred is directed at me. Hehehe!”

“Did you say something, Ms. Eleanor?”

“No. Kaff! Kaff! Something was in my throat. Just keep on preaching about the evil of Adrian Acker, the Devil. You’re doing a bang-up job, freckles.”

“Thank you. But I still don’t understand why you’re so insistent on blaming everything bad with the world on Mr. Adrian Acker. I know that he’s a dangerous terrorist, but still …”

“Do this for me and I’ll buy a holy scripture for every kid in the village.”

“You’ve got a deal!”

Donna—or should I say Eleanor’s eyes light up and she gives her sermon with a passion that could move mountains.

Every evening, Priestess Eleanor stands atop a high platform to address her believers, and every evening they sink deeper into the brainwashing. They scream and cry out to the starry sky, thanking God and cursing the Devil.

And like many cases, the women are the ones most susceptible to indoctrination. They channel all the resentment they have for their fathers and husbands and direct it toward Adrian Acker.

The Devil even spots ‘Sister Lilly’ reaching for the sky and screaming: “Fuck you, you two-timing sonofabitch!” And the Devil decides it’s best to leave her be.

Time passes by quickly until it’s the end of the school year. After the finals, the students of the Research Department, aside from Eleanor, go on another tour of the Amber Dungeons.

“As for you, Lady Messiah,” Professor Orlando Oak says. “Try not to get kidnapped again, and for the love of science, please don’t start a holy war while I’m gone—or when I’m around—or at any other time, period. Em-kay? Great. Good talk. See you next semester. Chow!”

Eleanor watches as Professor Oak leads the students into the dungeons. She watches as Xander Xenos disappears without once looking back at her.

“Damn tease. How long will you keep me waiting, blondie? Sigh. Things have been getting so dull lately.” Eleanor shakes her head and flies away.

“Ms. Eleanor, I’ve been meaning to ask you this for a while, but do you perhaps have feelings for Mr. Xander? You’ve always been watching him, and you’re the type to say the opposite of your true feelings, and—”

“Freckles, stop. Just … cease your stupidity and keep your teen girl bullshit to yourself. Em-kay? Great. Good talk.”

Donna puffs her cheeks as the silver wings bring them across the blue sky.

They fly to the same shantytown on the outskirts of Mellow Bay, as Medallion is still under construction. The town has become larger thanks to the increased population, and several structures are reinforced with better materials. Several colorful tents and storefronts are erected, and the dirt roads are always busy with people from all corners of the continent.

Yet today the streets are silent as people are forced into their homes, and at the town square stood several priests and knights in gleaming gold armor.

“Well, well, well, lookie what we have here.” Eleanor grins.

When Eleanor lands, the knight quickly surrounds her and casts barrier spells to prevent her escape.

An old priest points at her with glaring eyes and shouts, “Eleanor Ambrose, you are hereby accused of blasphemy of the highest order! Everything you say can and will be used against you in the holy court, false prophet!”

“Finally, something fun.” The Devil licks her lips gleefully.

6