Chapter 74
142 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Mommy, where are you?! I’m scared! Whaaa!”

The whole courthouse—the whole world—is speechless as they witness the silver-haired girl screaming her heart out as she buries herself under a blanket.

She’s not hiding from ghosts, goblins, or any enemies coming at her—her current state of being is due to her willingly taking a mind-altering substance.

Eleanor Ambrose, the girl who would become a saint …

Amelia Ambrose, the girl who would become the devil…

Adrian Acker, the man who would become the world’s greatest villain …

Their images collapse within the hearts and minds of every person witnessing the memory displayed on screen.

All they see now … is a damn junkie tweaking out from snorting too much powder.

Hahahahaha! Oh, Adrian, you’re absolutely priceless! Hahahaha!

Princess Grace falls to the ground laughing. Her lone laughter echoes the grand courtroom and more voices start to join her and become a chorus.

Laughter and jeering come from all around, but the ball does not hear; the ball does not feel—the ball is being a ball on the ground.

Lady Tessa Tate picks the ball up and rubs it.

There, there, master. At least you feel shameful enough to die. That’s good enough, right?

The ball reaches up and smacks Tessa on the head.

While the outside world is busy making fun of the Devil, only Donna Day is trying to calm the fear-stricken girl.

“Ms. Eleanor, please calm down.”

“Wh-wh-wh-who said that? A-a-a-a ghost? A Gatekeeper?! Don’t c-c-come at me, taxman! I-I’ll … Mommy, daddy, heeelp!”

“Please, Ms. Eleanor, just listen—”

“You w-won’t take me alive, you h-h-hear me?! I’ll kill you all!”

“Listen to me!”

“Gulp!”

“Ms. Eleanor, stop this silliness this instant—or give me back my body so I can smack some sense into you!”

“Smack me?! Wh-wh-who do you think you are? I’m th-the devil .. I’m … I’m the universe’s greatest villain … and … and I’m a higher being … and … Whaaa!”

“Enough! And do as I say.”

Eleanor Ambrose shrieks, then she melts away, and in her place is the strawberry-haired Donna Day, and the tiny Amelia.

Little baby Amelia shrinks back as Donna picks her up.

“What has gotten into you, Ms. Eleanor? Why are you behaving like this?”

“Whaaa! I can’t help it—I’m scaaareddd!”

“And what are you so terrified of? You were doing alright moments before you … What was it that you put into your nose?”

“F-Fear.”

“Fear? What are you …? Why would you …? Why in heaven’s name would you do something like this to yourself?!”

“Because it’s f-f-f-fun.”

“Fun?! You call this fun?!”

“Gulp! It’s … It’s like going to a haunted house, or … or watching a horror m-m-movie …”

“What are you talking about? What even is a ‘movie?’”

“Nothing … And … And I can’t help it! Your mood was bringing me down, so I needed a r-r-relief and … and … Hic!”

Donna looks down at the terrified girl. Her face is white as paper, and her eyes are wet with tears. Looking at tiny Amelia shaking like a little chick makes Donna sigh tiredly.

“I can’t begin to comprehend what is going on inside that head of yours, Ms. Eleanor. Sigh. Come here, don’t be afraid.” Donna takes Amelia in her arms and gently pats her back. “It’s alright now. Please don’t be scared.”

“But it’s so scwwwarrryyy. This room is so dark and creepy and old and …”

“Shhh … Calm down. There’s nothing to be afraid of. You’re safe. I’m here with you.”

“But you’re the scccawwwiiiiest one. You’re going to spank me!”

“I’m not going to spank you anymore. So please calm down and go to sleep. You’ll feel better in the morning … maybe … possibly.”

Donna coos to Amelia for hours. The small girl’s constant screaming throughout the night keeps Donna from sleeping. Amelia only quiets down and goes to sleep before daybreak.

The next day, the Devil is all chipper with glossy cheeks.

“Man, last night felt great! I haven’t had a good scare like that in years. La Li Da Li Dee …” the Devil hums as he skips down the castle corridor, disguised as a male servant.

Donna is quiet. If she had a face right now, her eyes would be glaring at the center of a haggard face.

“Why the long face, freckles? It’s such a wonderful morning today. Birds are singing, trees are dancing, and the sun is shining beautifully in the sky.”

“...”

“So, what did I do last night? I don’t really remember what happened other than the tingly sensation I felt. I must’ve dropped and started mumbling about some weird shit, haven’t I? Yeah, probably went out cold the second the drug kicked in.”

“So it is a drug!” Donna screams. “Ms. Eleanor, how could you do such a thing?! Taking mind-altering substances is strictly prohibited by the church—and it’s especially bad for your body! What if your silver blood acts up?! What if you lose control of your powers?! What would your mother say if she saw you like this?!”

“Blah-blah-blah. All I hear is a narc yapping.”

“Why, you lousy, no good, inconsiderate, impossible … Gah!”

The Devil smirks and narrows his eyes as he feels a sliver of anger slipping out of Donna.

“Careful now, my freckled friend. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate—and hate—hate is the most addictive drug of all. Hehehe!”

He ignores Donna’s nagging and turns to his next agenda.

“With the boomer magistrate out of commission for the foreseeable future, I should have enough time to deal with that snotty brat and his childish dream—and I have just the perfect plan to break his little heart in two. You just wait, Julius. This time mama ain’t playing around no more. Hehehehe! Mwa hahahaha!”

6