Chapter 21
381 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The screen is still black.

She probably passed out for a long while. Her system must have been fried by the drug.

Girl straight-up stole somebody else’s evil achievements. Who does that?!

Hey, don’t you think it’s strange how Amelia is so obsessed with acquiring hatred?

She’ll die without it, duh.

I thought it was about self-preservation too, at first. But with all this self-sacrificing bullshit, it’s like she values hatred more than her own life.

Now that you mention it…

Look! Amelia is sweating profusely again. See? She’s avoiding eye contact and starts stress eating.

She tears into roast pork like a dog and pours wine down her throat.

Don’t narrate how I eat, asshole!

Yeah, stop bullying my mama! Can’t you see she’s about to have a panic attack?!

Don’t talk with your mouth full, Amy. You’ll choke on your food.

Don’t tell me what to do, old man! Kaff! Kaff!

Do you see? Drink some water, dear.

Damn, look at all those foods. I’m getting hungry looking at them.

Where the hell did Professor Declan materialize them from? No. How the hell did he appear inside the protective barrier?!

And what’s with that get-up? Is he her butler or what?

How is it that things are getting more convoluted the further we watch? This hearing was supposed to be an open and shut case. But now there are all these multiple personas running around and an international secret cabal of A-holes.

Speaking of… there’s Lady Tessa Tate returning from the powder room.

D-don’t look at me like that! I paid my dues… I-I… Hic! Master! Dan! Help me!

Huh… Get in here, Tessa.

SNAP!

Declan snaps his fingers and Lady Tate appears next to him.

Ugh… So… Dizzy… I’m going to…

Don’t you dare vomit on me again, woman!

S-sorry, master! Hic!

Judge, more people keep breaking into the barrier! Soon enough, they’ll break out! Do something!

My, my, that chicken looks tasty. Is that an eastern dish, Professor?

Right you are, judge. It’s called drunken chicken. Here, try it.

SNAP!

Emm! Smells delish! Don’t mind if I do.

Bribery! The judge is taking bribes from the devil!

Give it a rest, buddy. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together can see where all this is heading.

Don’t you dare suggest what I think you are! She’s the devil! The enemy! The source of all evil in the world, and nothing can ever change that! Nothing!

The fact that you know what I meant without having to spell it out means you think it too, buddy. You just don’t wanna admit it.

Tch!

Shh… The image is clearing up.

I see a white ceiling. Some curtains. There’s medicine in the air. Amelia in her latest form is waking up. She looks to be a girl in her tweens. Snow white hair. Cold blue eyes.

The more I look, the more convinced I am that it’s… that person…

Duchess Gilda Ambrose is nursing her beside the bed. She sees Amelia opening her eyes and quickly calls for a doctor. After some check up, the doctor says that Amelia suffers from Mana Burnout, combined with her Silver Blood and it’s a miracle that she’s still alive.

“Thank you, doctor.”

The duchess tears up and grasps Amelia’s hand. She dismisses the doctor and nurses.

“Oh, darling, I’m glad you’re alive… I’m so glad… My baby.”

“…Mommy…”

“Yes, Amelia, it’s your mother. Everything is going to be alright now that you’re back with me.”

“Let go…”

“Hm?

“Let go of me!”

Amelia shakes off the duchess’ hand and tries to get up, but there’s no strength in her limbs. The duchess tries to talk her down and they both get into an argument. That’s when there’s a knock on the door and Duke Ambrose comes in.

“Ashton, Amelia is trying to run away. Come talk some sense into her.”

“Gil… Gilda, calm down. You’re getting excited.”

“Of course, I’m excited! Our little girl returned to us!”

“Gilda, please, the girl has only come through. I must apologize for my wife, child. She… keeps insisting on you being our missing daughter.”

“Don’t be a fool, Ashton! This is our Amelia! Our baby girl! Look! Look at the compass. It’s pointing to her! See?!”

“Okay, okay, I hear you. Please calm down, Gilda. You’re scaring the child.”

Stop being a fool, you moron! Just listen to your wife! Oh god, had I only listened…

Don’t beat yourself over it, grandfather. There was no way you could have known.

No… No… There were dozens of ways… hundreds! If I weren’t so foolish!

The duchess finally calms down but she glares daggers at the duke.

“How are you, child? You have suffered much during the battle.”

“I… I’m fine, your grace. There’s no need to worry about an insignificant one like me.”

“How can I do such a thing to someone who saved my life? If it weren’t for your bravery then who knows how the battle may have ended.”

“It’s… It’s fine, really… Cough! Cough!”

“Amelia!”

Duchess Gilda uses a handkerchief to wipe Amelia’s bloody nose and lips. Duke Ambrose looks at them with pity.

They talk and Amelia claims that she is Eleanor, a simple maid who suddenly awakened her mana in the crisis.

“Lies.”

“Gilda, behave yourself. As for you child, I must commend your bravery and give you the sincerest apology for your condition. Your mana is…”

Eleanor smiles and shakes her head.

“There’s nothing to apologize for, your grace. I was a simple maid before, and I shall return to be a simple maid again.”

“Liar, liar, pants on fire.”

“Gilda!”

“Liessssssssssss.”

“Sigh… Elanor, I can’t possibly let your good deed go unrewarded. Not to mention your health is still in dangerous conditions. You need to be cared for closely by skilled professionals.”

“Y-your gratitude is more than enough, your grace. You don’t need to do so much for someone like me.”

“Child, if I’m not mistaken, you are an orphan, correct? And since my wife seems to like you, how about we sponsor your—”

“Yes! Good idea, Ashton! We’ll just have to adopt her as our daughter!”

The duchess jumps up and claps her hand together. Before the other two can react, she runs out the door, shouting,

“Ashton, don’t let Amelia out of your sight! I’ll go to prepare the paperwork immediately!”

Eleanor looks at her father with an ashen face and he can only give her a helpless smile.

And that, my friends, is how Lady Amelia Ambrose became Lady Eleanor Ambrose, the adopted daughter of her biological parents… May god help us all, because I got a feeling things will only get more convoluted from here.

20