Chapter 36
256 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eleanor attends a funeral for the four men who guarded her during the incident, or as it came to be known as the Inferno Uprising. She gives a speech on how thankful she is to them and compensates the grieving families with the reward money she received from the king. A crowd gathers to gawk at the famous “Angel.” Eleanor looks at them with a blank expression before getting on her horse carriage.

“My, my, Adrian, it seems you have quite the fan club!” Princess Grace says.

“Is that so?”

Eleanor gazes out the window.

“Aren’t you going to deny being Adrian like usual? And I gotta say, Adrian, your performance at the ball was quite mesmerizing. I feel like you’re getting a hang of acting like a clown! Haha!”

“Is that so?”

“And this whole pure priestess business is hilarious! Wait till everyone finds out you’re the same person as the most wanted terrorist in the kingdom!”

“Princess, please don’t shout. I have a headache.”

Eleanor responds without looking away from the window. She watches the view pass by with vacant eyes.

“Adrian… are you sick?”

“You know I am.”

Winter arrives in Ivory City and Eleanor spends her days on the bed. Her parents are busy dealing with the aftermath of the rebellion attempt. Most of the prisoners that were captured died from using the booster and the rest were assassinated in captivity, which points to the enemies mixing in their ranks. Eleanor isn’t lonely as Lady Tate, Professor Declan, and Princess Grace often visit her.

“Would you like some tea, my lord?”

“Bitter, with sweets.”

“The usual, I see.”

“Master, I have a new cake from my shop. Maybe if you can eat it in front of the windows—”

“I’m not going to shill your product, woman. And close the curtains.”

Tessa sighs disappointingly and walks to the windows. Outside, a large crowd gathers in front of the duke’s manor. Believers, beggars, curious onlookers all want a glimpse of the famous “Silver Angel.”

“Master, aren’t you going to address these people? Or at least have the duke’s people chase them away.”

“They tried.”

“Oh…”

“Tell me, Tessa, what do you see?”

“I see thousands of people standing in the road as snow falls on them. Tons of poor faces. Some children. Some sick. Some desperate. Some just want to look.”

“Close the curtains.”

Suddenly a cry comes from the crowd.

“Oh, what now?”

“A woman, master. She has a baby in her arms, asking for your help.”

“What am I, a doctor?”

“You are a priestess, my lord—one in training, but still.”

“Tch! Sigh, whatever, I can’t sleep with this noise going on. Help me on the wheelchair.”

That mother should have gone somewhere else. Eleanor can’t cast healing spells without establishing a connection first. She can’t cast spells, period, without using somebody else’s mana channel.

Eleanor goes to the front of the manor with Declan putting up a spell to shield her from the wind. Eleanor takes the baby in her arms and feels its temperature. She looks to the crowd and calls a man forward.

“You ask for me, your holiness?!”

“Yes. You are a mage, are you not?”

“I am, your holiness!”

“And do you possess a strong belief?”

“There is no room for doubt in my heart!”

“Good. Place your hands on this child. The lord shall use you as his conduit.”

The man follows her instructions and Eleanor quickly casts a healing spell through him. In a few moments, the baby’s condition drastically improves. Eleanor returns the baby to its mother and tells her to have a doctor look at it to be sure.

She can do that now?!

She can do that now. Guess spells and holy magic are more intertwined than we thought. Who knew?

They didn’t call her a saint for nothing.

“Thank you, miss! Oh, thank you! I’ll never forget this kindness!”

The woman falls to her knees and the crowds begin to pray and worship. Eleanor’s eyelid twitches. She tells Declan to bring her back in doors.

“I hope this doesn’t become a trend,” Eleanor says

It became a trend didn’t it?

You know it. People hear about the fact that Lady Eleanor cures people for free, so they start lining up in the streets, seeking her help. She tries to ignore them, but every time someone in critical condition comes to her doorsteps, she has no choice but to save them.

Since she has that strict no murder rule?

Probably.

Eventually she just caved under the pressure and cast a mass healing spell on everyone, hoping they’d go away.

Yeah… that’s not how you get rid of people.

No, it’s most definitely not.

Her worshipers grow to the point where it attracts the attention of other priests and even the Temple itself. One day, two deacons arrive at the duke’s manor, carrying a summon for Eleanor.

“Eleanor Ambrose, your presence is required at the Grand Cathedral. Please come with us.”

“Do I look like I can go anywhere?”

“We are aware of your medical conditions and shall assist you if need be.”

So… they’re saying they’ll take her one way or another.

And they purposefully visit her when nobody else is home. I can be wrong but I think this is kinda sketchy.

Eleanor sighs and brings a box of tissue with her. By the time she arrives at the cathedral she has coughed so much blood, she nearly passed out.

Those bastards! How dare they do this to my daughter!?

Duke, that may not be your—

Finish that sentence if you dare!

Gulp!

The deacons take Eleanor into the temple. Many priests and priestesses whisper at each other as they watch the bloody child be brought past them.

“That’s her?”

“Can’t be. That mess?”

“Bah! She can’t even save herself yet she dared to use the lord’s name!”

The deacons take Eleanor to a room where Archpriest Lucille Leonel, the leader of all priests in the region, is waiting for her.

“Hello child. You must be the young Eleanor I heard so much about.”

“Umm…”

“You seem tired. Would you like some water?”

“Umm…”

“There you are, a glass of clear water. Warm, with a drop of honey, just the way I prefer it. Now, let’s get to business. Eleanor Ambrose… the Silver Angel. The child who claimed to hear the words of our lord… You do realize that is a great crime you have committed, don’t you?”

“Probably.”

“It is a grave crime indeed. One of the worst a person can do under God’s watchful eyes. Not only do you claim to be a priestess and illegally practice holy magic without the temple’s permission, You also do so while taking the lord’s name. Eleanor, your crimes are grave indeed.”

“If you say so.”

“Under normal circumstances, your actions would classify you as a heretic—worse, a false idol! Child, you may not comprehend the seriousness of your sins, but even as we speak, a large portion of high ranking priests are calling for your head.”

“How nice. Cough! Cough!”

“You may believe that your adoptive parents may shield your actions but I assure you, no crime against this temple may go unpunished under my watch. The severity of it… this can be discussed.”

“Okay.”

“Young Eleanor, I understand that your actions were simply misguided. You didn’t have any ill intent, but merely wanted to help the weak and wary. This is a character that cannot be faulted. But you have to understand that you went at it all wrong, and that your actions, even if unintended, went against the authority of this grand order and the lord which we serve.”

“Sure.”

“I am a forgiving man and I’m willing to let bygones be bygones IF you’re willing to repent for your sins and dedicate your life to the mission. Eleanor Ambrose, you are a talented healer, this cannot be denied. With the correct guidance, I believe you can become a great asset to us all. But you need to put in the time and dedication. There is no shortcut to the top. No hidden path to priesthood, You must earn it, by following the rules, same as everybody else. Can you do that?”

“No.”

“What was that, child?”

“I refuse.”

“Child, I do not have time for your games. I am a busy man and I understand you need rest, so we will begin your studies when spring arrives. How does that sound?”

“Sounds like—Cough! bullshit to me. Cough! Cough!”

Archpriest Leonel stands up and looks down at Eleanor with fire in his eyes.

“Don’t test me, child. I am not a man to be trifled with! Do you not understand the gravity of this situation?! Do you not know what is at stake?!”

“Don’t know. Don’t care. And you’re the one who’s testing the limits of my patience, old man.”

Leonel slams his fist on the table, creating a shockwave that knocks Eleanor off her wheelchair. She falls to the ground, spilling blood all over the marble floor.

Eleanor looks up at the Archpriest in rage. She takes out her bombs, preparing to kill him. But at that second, a powerful force breaks down the door and pins Archpriest Leonel to the wall.

“What the hell have you done to my disciple!?”

Doctor Nina Norris storms into the room. One of the nine Elders of Man and the most powerful priestess in the world is enraged.

19