CH : 45 – DISCOVERY PART 5K
29 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

DISCOVERY PART 5K

Day 451; 0945 (Morning)
Focus: 513

A few streaks of light pierced through the thick tree canopy as the dense early morning fog slowly dissipated from gentle gusts of warm, rising air. 

Several days had passed since 513’s exhaustive battle with a legion of arachnids. The wounds he had sustained during the encounter had already healed, but he had yet to move away from the killing fields.

513: "Hmm...has it gotten warmer again?"

He mumbled secretly to himself.

Sitting on the ground with his back leaned against the cart he had dragged along since the start of his expedition, 513 took a short break from writing in his journal -- a daily task he had adhered to faithfully -- and looked around at his surroundings.

[Hmm. I put in a lot of work to clean this place up.] 

His internal comment exuded neither praise or surprise, just simple facts.

After some time, he urged himself back to writing. 

If not for recording his random musings and experiences within his personal journal, he may have already lost his sense of self. 513 believed this wholeheartedly.

The journal acted as his anchor to reality. Without it, he would find it extremely difficult to differentiate hallucinations and vivid dreams from what was true; from what he perceived as reality.

In his journal he briefly drafted his fragmented recollections of battle, the thoughts currently troubling him, his reflections on how to improve (in several aspects), short descriptions of what he looted from the deceased, his plans to experiment with spider blood and their silk producing organs, and so on.

While enthralled in the writing process, the sound of crackling flames echoed in the background.

Around him were scattered remnants of barricades -- some in perfect condition, while others in disarray. Alongside the barricades were several deep pits stuffed with carcasses, trenches filled with solidified spider blood, burnt patches of moss and dirt, and numerous scarred trees.

While the area still looked like a trash dump, there was a sense of organization within the chaos.

[...maybe I didn’t work hard enough…] He mumbled inwardly as he took another look at his surroundings, this time with a hint of disappointment.

His eyes then wandered to the crackling flames that engulfed several of the corpse pits. He had intended to burn each and every single one of the spiders, but the process took longer than anticipated; there were just too many corpses.

At the current burn rate, it would take several more days to completely rid the area of the bodies.

[It's a good thing I confirmed that these trees are highly resistant to fire, otherwise, I'd have to face a bigger problem.] He thought, distracted by the dancing flames.

Unless another fight between apex predators broke out -- like in the case with the Echo Serpent -- he didn't expect the forest to suffer any long term damage.

[Those bastards were too strong. It's amazing how they were able to create such destruction. Fire; lightning; earthquakes? Were they all wizards?]

He continued to reminisce over a part of his recent history that was crucial in his survival within the forest. For better or worse, he was able to find reprieve from all sorts of dangers because of his run-in with the Echo Serpent and its ‘friends’.

While in the midst of reverie, his body suddenly jolted as if shocked by a bolt of lightning. 

His trained senses picked up immense danger approaching his way.

Putting the crystal core tipped pen, charcoal ink, and journal aside, 513 stood up and surveyed the area. 

513: "Hmm..."

Narrowing his eyes, he adjusted his patched-up armor, then grabbed his reserve spear and shield from the cart.

Assuming a defensive guard position, he pulsed True Sense and waited for results.

◊◊◊◊◊◊

Day 451; 0946 (Morning)
Focus: The Protector

Rialla: "It appears we have been detected, Protector."

Hearing this, the Protector nodded in silence, then signalled the group to move forward.

Protector: "Let us introduce ourselves to our guest."

◊◊◊◊◊◊

Day 451; 0946 (Morning)
Focus: 513

A large, varied group entered the range of 513's True Sense, causing him to tighten his grip on his weapons.

[It never ends, does it?] He complained in his mind.

Just as he thought this, he noticed Rialla’s unique presence amongst the large group. 

[Ah, fuck.]

Realizing he was in no position to resist, he loosened the grip on his spear and disengaged his guard. He adjusted his standing position, resting his spear on his left shoulder and securing his shield on his back. Then, he waited.

The large group came into sight and immediately spread out into a half-moon arrangement, pinning 513 between their numbers and the burning corpse pits located behind him. 

The image of the confrontation made him appear like a warmonger; a demon. 

Smoke listlessly floated in the air as 513 quietly observed each and every creature encircling him. None came in pairs; all were of differing species; and only a few were familiar to him.

This piqued his interest, but outwardly, he maintained a face of indifference.

Just as he was tempted to make a witty remark, his thought process was interrupted by a calming voice that seemed to emanate from all directions.

Protector: "It seems you have survived."

Hearing such words, 513 found it difficult to tell whether he was being complimented or insulted.

His eyes narrowed as he looked around but could not see where the voice originated. Even pulsing True Sense returned no conclusive results.

Seeing 513's confusion, the Protector cancelled her camouflage skill and slowly descended from the air. 

A single ripple in the dim lighting fluttered like a flag on a windy day. After the ripple travelled a certain distance, another appeared, and then another. The frequency of the rippling effect increased, as if stones were continually being cast into a tranquil lake. Upon reaching its apex, the ripples shattered into tiny pieces of flashing light. The pieces of light gradually faded, revealing a gorgeous figure floating in the air, causing 513's eyes to widen in surprise.

[A woman?!]

Smiling softly, the woman, no, the Protector, stared straight into 513's eyes and calmly replied.

Protector: "Not quite."

Confused by the remark, 513 took his eyes off of the woman and looked towards the various creatures surrounding him once more. Each and every one of them were kowtowing in the direction of the unknown woman. Only then did 513 realize her identity.

[The Protector?]

Protector: "That is correct."

Replied the Protector, her smile remaining unchanged.

[Shit...she can read my mind…]

Figuring out this crucial detail, 513 immediately emptied his thoughts and focused only on observation. The move caused a few of the creatures to grumble in dissatisfaction and intrigue.

"What a strange man."

"Hmm. Does he think that, by lowering his presence, we won't see him?"

"Guahahaha! I like this guy!"

"Oh my! How bold!"

"Interesting tactic."

"Tch. So he learned this too, huh?"

"Pathetic."

"Ara ara!"

Since the creatures voiced their opinions in their own native tongues, 513 could only hear a wash of strange moans, roars, and cries. While he couldn't decipher the meaning behind their clamor, he understood that what he had done had been noticed by all of those present.

Protector: "I understand now. You hastily adapt to the situation, however..."

The Protector continued to smile as her words trailer off, hinting at 513 to form his own conclusions.

513 didn't respond, nor did he think much. He simply continued to observe and remained silent.

Rialla: "Ahem. Protector. The purpose of our visit."

Interrupting the growing silence, Rialla reminded the Protector of their reason for meeting with 513.

Seeing Rialla act like the Protector's personal secretary, 513 could not help but tease.

513: "We meet again, dog."

The tone of his voice was sinister and demeaning.

He then smirked intentionally, further goading Rialla.

[Impertinent!] Cried Rialla in her mind.

She was ready to pounce on the man and bite him moderately like a chew toy. Before she could do so, however, the Protector gave her a quick glance, causing her to quickly abandon any plans of retaliation.

Disappointed, 513 raised a brow, then returned his gaze back at the woman -- the Protector -- still slowly descending from the air. 

[Rhododendron?] He absentmindedly muttered in his head while watching the Protector’s movements.

He didn't pay much attention to her at first -- perhaps because her figure shined too brightly in the low light of the forest -- but now that his eyes were fixed on her, for some reason, she reminded 513 of a distinct flower. 

Her appearance made her exceedingly mysterious. 

Her voluminous pink hair was highlighted by streaks of red and purple that faded into deep blues as they flowed towards the tips. Her fair, fleshy pink skin looked smooth and delicate like flower petals after a gentle rain. Her light, airy dress perfectly accentuated her alluring eyes which appeared to contain every shade of red on the color spectrum. If not for lightning-esque fractures present in her irises, she would have looked fragile, rather than intense.

Noticing that he had stared for too long, he pretended to be confused and briefly tilted his head to the side.

513: "Ahem! 'Sup."

Clearing his throat, he belatedly greeted the Protector.

Rialla: "Grrr!"

[This man!] Rialla raged in her heart as she growled in anger. [Disrespectful scoundrel!]

The Protector paid her no mind and spoke with 513.

Protector: "I have watched you from afar for quite some time."

513: "..."

Rather than return the greeting, the Protector replied in a way that 513 interpreted as a subtle threat.

The Protector’s eyes brightened as she searched for a reaction from 513, then she continued.

The Protector: "Even this does not escape my eyes."

While speaking, her unique eyes pointed towards the direction of the webbed wall.

513: "..."

With a pristine poker face and an empty mind, 513 maintained his vow of silence. 

The Protector could not read what he was plotting. So, she decided to provoke him once more.

Protector: "Do you not plan on repenting?"

513: "..."

The scene was eerily silent. Only the crackle of flames were heard in the background.

Realizing that 513 had no intention to respond, a few hot headed followers grew livid.

"He dares to ignore our Protector?!"

"What a crass young man."

"I implore you, Protector. Grant me permission to eliminate that man!"

"Just say the word."

"Daring...I like it! Tell me your name, lad...perhaps I’ll make you my disciple!"

There was a strange comment at the end, but all those who could understand it, ignored the gibberish.

Amidst the roars and deathly glares coming from the group, 513 maintained his casual stance and his silence.

The Protector quieted the group before speaking once more.

Protector: "Very well. I shall no longer bore you with provocations. The purpose of our visit is simple -- there has been a change to your status within my lands. Based on your actions, you are no longer deemed a visitor…"

She purposefully let her words linger for a few moments to elicit a reaction. However, seeing that there was none, she continued.

Protector: "...instead, your status has changed to that of a...guest."

As the Protector started listing off all the rules that pertained to those with a guest status, 513 felt something strange occur within his mind. It was as if the words being spoken were suggestively molding his opinions and views; it was a feeling similar to when Rialla listed the rules and expectations of a visitor when they last met.

Sensing something perversely wrong happening to his thought process, he hastily interjected.

[Bacon.]

The Protector stumbled on what she was saying, before cautiously continuing with her monologue.

[Pancakes; eggs; sausage; waffles; syrup; coffee.] 

A rapid fire of thoughts came from 513's mind, forcing the Protector to cease whatever she was doing.

Her mouth twitched as she finally made landfall from her slow descent. She then hurriedly walked towards 513, hushing further complaints from her followers.

[Mmm-MMM! Such a delicious meal! It’s time for breakfast!]

513 continued without hesitation.

The Protector was three steps away from 513 when she finally stopped her hasty approach. Seeing this, 513 smiled and used his thoughts to continue speaking with her.

[Good. Now that I have your attention, let's have a real conversation.]

He then sat down after expressing his intentions and waited for the Protector to do the same.

---Chapter End

1