CH : 47 – DISCOVERY PART 5M
31 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Late chapter. Been really busy with work and school. No need to worry, there are no plans for a hiatus.

Chapters will still be released every 2 weeks (3 if I am really busy, like now). Please enjoy the chapter, and thank you for reading my story.

DISCOVERY PART 5M

Day 451; 1020 (Morning)
Focus: 513

After expressing her intentions, a pure-black filament shot out from the Protector’s uncovered feet. It stretched towards the burning corpse pits like an unshackled beast, easily weaving between trees and boulders as if unobstructed. From its unknown depths, thousands of eyes emerged, squirming and wriggling about like giant maggots.

The filament multiplied and expanded at an incredible rate, surrounding each of the burning corpse pits. As it reached an optimal size, its travel speed increased, causing the distance between it and the lifeless bodies to instantly shorten.

513 sat still as he stared in awe at the mind numbing sequence occurring before his eyes. He was so taken aback by the scene that he failed to mutter neither a whimper nor a witty remark.

By the time his brain finally registered what was truly happening, the corpse pits had already been surrounded by an undulating black mass spreading from underneath the Protector's feet.

Ignoring the flames engulfing the bodies, the thousands of eyes within the pure-black mass produced needle-like protrusions from their stems, forming sharp, barbed tips. Once fully formed, the sharp needle-like protrusions shot towards the corpses without hesitation. 

A wave of silent screams echoed in 513's mind as tiny mouths emerged from the tips of each needle-like protrusion, baring several rows of jagged teeth. These tiny mouths latched onto the corpses like leeches the very moment they made contact. Once attached, the protrusions pulsated like a drunkard's throat forcing vomit back into their stomach. 

From what 513 could observe, the pulsating acted as a pump, injecting unknown substances into the spider corpses, causing the deceased's cells to break down at horrifying speeds. 

As the bodies of the dead spiders were turned into a disgusting slurry devoid of any discernible features, the scorching flames that had originally engulfed the piles, quickly extinguished. 

The process of disintegration continued unimpeded as the corpses within each pile reduced in quantity until nothing was left within the pits. The revolting slurry that was the byproduct of the process slowly drained into the root-filled soil, providing nutrients for the sickly trees affected by the False Arachne's tampering.

[...]

513's mind remained blank, still befuddled with how to process everything that was just witnessed.

While playing observer, both of his arms had turned numb due to fear and utter shock. In contrast, his legs had become so invigorated with excitement that it felt as if electricity could shoot out from the soles of his feet at any moment.

Taking a deep breath, he calmed himself down. 

He desperately fought his body’s natural urge to crawl away; to abandon everything in order to hide behind something, anything. 

With great fortitude, he willed himself to remain casually seated; he remained fixed in the same lethargic position he assumed while conversing with the Protector. Outwardly, 513 appeared as if he was unbothered by the Protector’s display of strength. But both parties knew that was far from the truth.

In a blink of an eye, the pure-black mass minimized into a thin filament and retracted towards the Protector like a fading shadow.

Just like that, thousands of False Arachne corpses were aptly disposed of, leaving virtually no traces.

[...]

Again, 513’s thought process was halted.

With a nonchalant voice, the Protector snapped 513 out of his daze, and addressed him once more.

Protector: "The sooner the Contract is completed, the better. For the time being, we shall take our leave."

[...] 

513 responded with silence.

After collecting himself, 513 weakly waved at the group to bid them farewell. He could not muster the courage to make inquiries regarding what he had just witnessed, so he did his best to keep his mind uncluttered and empty.

However, before the Protector and her followers completely disappeared from his sights, 513 managed to squeeze out one last comment to salvage his already compromised image.

[...I would like to say one last thing as a form of goodwill. That oversized ‘pup’, Rialla, is a sloppy tracker. If you plan on further grooming her, I suggest giving her more opportunities to gain experience...that is all. Fare-thee-well, Protector.]

He transmitted this thought to the Protector, knowing that Rialla had been following him from a distance since their last meeting. It was something he had wanted to mention during their ‘private’ conversation, but could not find an opportune time to do so.

Unfortunately, the Protector didn't seem to heed his advice as she appeared unmoved by his words. So, he quickly followed with another thought.

[I noticed her tracks, scent, and overall general movements during my travels. Due to this, I had to keep utmost vigilance of my surroundings...not that it mattered, given my situation. While it is true that she skillfully kept her distance, I was still able to locate traces of her…I have...I have my own ways of discovering pursuers, at least, to a certain degree.]

His thoughts stuttered as he tried to keep his methods confidential.

This time, 513’s words took hold of the Protector’s attention. Turning her head to the side, she momentarily halted her departure and replied.

Protector: "Your message, I shall take it into consideration."

After giving her response, she and her followers resumed their exit, and disappeared into the forest.

◊◊◊◊◊◊

Day 451; 1054 (Morning)
Focus: 513

513 didn't move for quite some time after his unexpected encounter. He stared at the direction where the Protector and her followers had gone towards, and let out a constant stream of sighs.

[Conversations never occur as perfectly as they do in novels or in television shows…haaah…no, that isn't true...I am just a terrible conversationalist....ghaaah] 513 mocked himself, ridiculing his inadequate performance. [I really need to rein in my bad habits…that and...fhoooh, I sounded like I was begging to be acknowledged.]

Shifting his gaze towards the tree canopy, he watched the last remaining vestige of rising smoke disappear into the branches.

He then resumed his train of thought.

[...I wonder if it's safe to think normally again. I have no clue what the limits of that woman's mind reading ability is, so it's good to be cautious.]

After waiting for an extended period, 513 stood up and stretched his languid muscles.

513: "Her influence should be gone now…"

He assured himself.

After stretching, he walked to his sled and stored the backup weapons he had armed himself with. Then he focused on dismantling the mangonel while reviewing the conversation he had with the Protector in his mind.

[Ugh…] He grimaced and covered his face with both his palms in embarrassment. [...I...I was clearly unprepared…I need to work on my charm...no, no, no. I’m afraid my death will come sooner if I do that.]

He brooded over the matter as he moved on to performing mundane tasks that had been birthed through daily routine. Sometimes, showing admiration for the decisions he had made, while other times slapping his face in shame.

[Hmm. Storing my spoils of war in a different location was a good move. Speaking of which, I should count the number of jewelstones I obtained from this battle once I finish all my daily tasks.]

◊◊◊◊◊◊

Day 451; 1121 (Morning)
Focus: The Protector and her followers

Protector: "Rialla, walk with me. The rest of you can return to your territories."

Hearing the command, the followers -- all but Rialla -- nodded in unison, then spread out and disappeared into the forest.  

Sensing an impending lecture, Rialla remained silent and obediently sat down beside the Protector.

Rialla: “...”

Having taken 513’s last remarks to heart, the Protector had secretly deliberated ways to increase her favorite subordinate’s worldly experience while travelling with her followers. After some time, she finally settled on a direction.

Protector: “Regarding your previously assigned task. Your performance was: adequate.”

Rialla: “Adequate...wh-what must I do to improve?”

Rialla meekly responded. 

She wasn’t the type to settle on satisfactory results -- she wanted to be exceptional. 

Protector: “Before that, I must ask you: are you willing to keep an open mind regarding your next assignment?”

Rialla: “Y-yes! Anything for the Protector.”

Protector: “Ufufu. Good. Wonderful. Then your next task shall entail observation and guidance. I will leave the minute details to your discretion.”

Tilting her head in confusion, Rialla responded hesitantly.

Rialla: “Wh-what will I be observing, and whom will I be guiding?”

Gently smiling, the Protector did not respond and simply stroked Rialla’s magnificent fur.

Realizing the Protector had no intention of giving a direct answer, Rialla came to her own conclusions, just as she had been instructed to do.

Rialla: “I...I understand I shall go to him immediately-”

However, before she could stand back up, the Protector physically subdued her with a gentle nudge.

Protector: “No. Not yet. Let me finish brushing your hair.”

Rialla: “...”

Embarrassed by the attention she was receiving, Rialla laid down and covered her face with her front paws. After some time, she finally found the courage to respond.

Rialla: “O-okay!”

◊◊◊◊◊◊

Day 451; 1342 (Afternoon)
Focus: 513

Just as 513 reached the location where he stored his spoils of war, an odd feeling overtook him.

Shaking his head in disbelief, he looked down at his palms, clasping them open and shut several times to ensure he still retained motor functions. 

He then punched himself in the face.

513: “Good. Good. Still awake…”

He muttered aloud while wiping saliva off of his fist.

Closing his eyes, he tilted his head towards the sky and took a deep breath. After exhaling, he muttered to himself in a grave tone.

513: “Troublesome...I feel that something troublesome is coming my way.”

---Chapter End

2