Story 2: The thorns of reality
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
There is a large mansion of a wealthy family near my flat. Rumour has it that a ghost has been seen there many times. Although such stories scare me a little, I like to walk along there. Every time I walk past the rose hedge by the estate's fence, I smile happily at the roses. One day, I come across a gardener who is as captivating as them. I can't help but stare at this person. 

With a cold look, she asks me: "Mmh? Do you need help?"
Startled, I wake up from my daze and quickly run away. "Excuse me!" I call out to her hastily.
Not noticing, how she looks after me disappointed.
With a loud bang I close my front door behind me. Relieved that I am finally back in my flat. Exhausted from all the running, I fall tiredly on the floor. 
"That surprised me," I whisper.
Her gaze was so cold it hurt. Like being pricked by a thorn. Somehow this encounter didn't feel real. 
The next day, the gardener is standing there again. Uncertain and stiff, I walk past her. Suddenly, she calls out to me: "Hello there! Um...may I ask you something?"
Surprised, I say, "Uh, sure."
She looks at me determinedly, yet as if she sees right through me. I feel a little uncomfortable about this. 
"Do you like..roses?" she asks me.
"Mmh, sort of. How do you know?"
This time the gardener hesitates a little before answering me. "I noticed you some time ago. You always smile so cheerfully at them and I just can't figure out why you would do that..."
"Who knows? I wonder why too...I guess I just feel the need to do so." 
"I understand," she murmurs softly. For a brief moment, she has a compassionate expression on her face.
"Is there anything else you would like to know?", I inquire.
Her face darkens. Have I said something wrong? Helplessly, I try to cheer her up. 
"Don't be so nice! It's not like...!" Startled by her sudden shouting, she falls silent. Then she makes a forced smile and says, "Sorry. I should probably go now."
Depressed, I look after her. I've been hurt by another thorn. 
At home I snuggle into my bed. I wonder what that was about. Maybe she doesn't like me after all? What am I supposed to do now? Will I be able to see her again? 
The next day, no one was there. The day after that was the same. 
On the weekends, I would work in a café.
"Here comes your order!", I call out to the guest.
Suddenly, someone taps on my shoulder from behind. "Why are you here?"
Startled, I turn around hastily. My mood lightens up instantly when I see the beautiful face of the gardener in front of me. 
"Don't startle me. I'm here because I work here, of course!"
The gardener nods in understanding. "Can we talk for a moment?" she adds afterwards. 
"Sure! But can you wait for a minute? I'm about to finish my shift."
"Then I'll wait for in front of the café."
A little later, I am standing outside with her. It's cloudy and quite cool, but a few rays of sunshine come through anyway.
"Nice weather, isn't it?", I say to lift the unbearable silence between us.
"It doesn't matter," she says stiffly.
"Why are you in such a bad mood?"
"I'm not telling you."
Offended, I put my arms on my hips and lean towards her. "Then will you at least tell me what you want to talk to me about?"
"When you told me your reason for smiling at the roses...you were lying right?"  
I get restless and fiddle with my fingers. "Maybe I'll tell you the answer if you answer my question first."
In a slightly annoyed tone, she responds, "Alright. What's your question?"
"Do you...like your job?" 
Surprised at the simple question, the gardener recoils slightly. "I- I like my job, but lately I haven't been having much fun because recently a person who was very important to me just left me without a word." 
Full of tension, she stares at me. Depressed, I avoid her gaze, "I see..."
"Would you answer my question then now?"
I nod gently. "Roses have thorns to protect themselves. I once knew a person who was lively and kind, but one day I had to leave her on that fateful Wednesday and that person became like a rose. Beautiful, but full of thorns. I...always smile at the roses to cheer them up, hoping my smile will reach that person."  
Forcefully, she grabs my arm and tears are in her eyes. "Then why don't you just meet me in person? How long are you going to make me suffer Arisa?!" 
"So we end our little play now?"
"Yes. We have to end it. It's enough now. You should stop your pretence."
"But I'm not ready yet. I can't leave you!" 
She brushes a brown strand of hair out of my face and hugs me. "Arisa you are dead and a ghost now. You have to accept that and I also want to finally come to terms with your death. How am I supposed to live out all my sadness properly if you continue to linger in this world?" 
Now I start to cry as well. "I am sorry. Please forgive me," I beg to her in loud sobs.
We sit there until we both have calmed down. 
"I guess this is our last goodbye?"
"Yeah," Pyry says, stroking my hair. 
"I guess it took me long enough." 
Slowly, I dissipate until nothing of me is left in this world. I leave everything behind. My friends, my family and the person I love the most in the world. 


Farewell, Pyry
1