Chapter 7 – The Test Begins!
180 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Excuse me, pardon me, coming through."

 

Erik stumbled over the many seated spectators, causing harrumphs and frowning faces from the members of the audience. He was one of many, as others scuffled over to find a seat. The stall owners had sent their workers with crates of snacks and sweets, many children immediately whining at their arrival, begging their exasperated parents to buy them some. 

 

Eyes of parents rolled and glared daggers as they passed over coins and received some sweetened or fried goods. Children quickly settled down after bouncing in their seats. Meanwhile, Erik still hadn't sat down. He peered around and saw an empty seat next to a greying old man. Immediately, he made his way over and hopped over his knees.

 

"What nonsense-"

 

"Sorry, need a seat."

 

"Hmph!"

 

The man crossed his arms, shooting Erik a look before he turned his grey eyes away, looking over the gathered members, especially the more finer dressed ones. The teachers, elders and seniors from various academies of the kingdom, and then the nobles.

 

The audience spanned the perimeter of a large circle, the center of which was a prepared dirt ground. An announcer in red robes and a scraggly beard stepped into the center of it, holding a pointing stick. Waving his gloved hands, he gestured around him at the bustling and moving audience as he spoke, 

 

"Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages, please settle down!"

 

The audience all faced the announcer, coming to a shushed halt as they settled down in their seats, snacking away at what they could. Once everyone was seated, the announcer gave one quick look through before waiting for the nod of approval from an old man in fine black and gold clothes and his fair lady companion. 

 

She was veiled in similar colours with finer robes. Much of the audience was captivated by her beauty. The old man nodded to the announcer and he began the event.

 

"We are gathered here today... for the annual Test of our beloved Awakened trainees! This test is to prove they've been hard at work honing their skills, increasing their power and becoming the best they can be!"

 

He clapped his hands and the audience followed suit, some whooping and whistling as well. Gatherings of this sort happened few and far in between, with little to do in the meantime. Much fun was to be had before it passed.

 

”We have amongst us our chief guest, the Elder of the Royal Academy, Puzon Kellion!"

 

The announcer gestured at the old man in the black and gold clothes before bowing lightly. The old man nodded his head as the audience clapped again. The maiden beside him seemed to be clapping along lightly. The announcer waved his hands, gesturing towards a nicer portion of the audience -the non-locals- as he spoke,

 

"Also amongst us are various figureheads of the Sevrein academies! Trainees, display your best foot forward, even if the Royal Academy is fated for one person, a number of exemplary academies await you!"

 

The gaze of the audience looked at the gathered trainees who entered the ground. Much cheering was to be heard.

 

"Go Darla!"

 

"Do your best, Bernard!"

 

"That's my daughter!"

 

The announcer waited as the trainees made their round, waving at the audience with bright smiles. Amongst the trainees was Jeria, who seemed to have her eye out. Erik clapped along, keeping his eye on her. The trainees finished their round and gathered before the announcer. He waited for the audience to calm down before he continued,

 

"As usual, the test has been divided into two rounds. The first one will be a display of the trainees' prowess and might. They will be tested on the overall power and the purity of their Awakened Element!"

 

Erik looked on, a confused look on his face.

 

"What's purity?"

 

The old man turned to face him as he exclaimed,

 

"Hm? Oh you again."

 

Erik looked up as the old man turned his gaze back to the trainees, as if he was examining them with his eyes only.

 

"Well, what is it?"

 

He sighed, scratching his beard with his hand. Without turning away, he addressed Erik's question,

 

"There is a difference between muddy water and spring water. Just like that, the Awakened also have differences. Some differences are innate but mostly they can become stronger through training."

 

"Thanks."

 

Erik nodded as the announcer continued,

 

"Those that pass through the first round will step into the Fighting Round!"

 

The crowd immediately erupted again. Many were simply gathered for the Fighting Round, when trainees are pitted against one another in hopes of coming out on top and getting into the Royal Academy. Much preparation was done in the past couple years by the trainees for this very purpose. After all, even getting into the Royal Academy made one akin to nobility. 

 

The Royal Academy had done this for many years, training students and holding tests in cities and towns as a way to gather hidden talents and prodigies instead of waiting for someone to come by and knock on their door. This also allowed for other academies to find suitable students for themselves. The Royal Academy was only interested in the cream of the crop, the rest were easy pickings for anyone.

 

The announcer continued in his booming voice,

 

"That's right folks, this year, we shall witness the noble heir of House Mekillan, Luke Mekillan, in a sparring match!"

 

"A noble?"

 

Erik exclaimed. He recalled Jeria having a bone to pick with a 'Luke' and the mention of the same one made him narrow his eyes at the blonde trainee who had a confident smile on his face, waving his hand at the audience. Behind him, two fellows began to chatter,

 

"That red-haired kid doesn't stand a chance."

 

"You're mad. Her element is fire and I've heard she can make a flame underwater."

 

"Huh? That's impossible."

 

Erik listened intently at the conversation happening behind him. The old man's eyes glinted, drawing Erik's attention to the slight grin on his face.

 

"A flame underwater... hohoho, this will be interesting. Mhm, interesting indeed."

 

Erik narrowed his eyes at the man, unsure of his intentions. The conversation behind him went on with one of them saying,

 

"Yeah, she's going to be the winner this time around, sucks to be that stuck-up noble brat."

 

"Wanna bet on it?"

 

"Fifty bronze coins, that blond rat loses to the red-hair kid."

 

"A hundred."

 

"...Deal."

 

More chatter went around as intent listeners made their own bets, passing on the practice through the rows of the audience. The announcer was puzzled at the sudden shift of attention and he quickly boomed,

 

"The winner of both rounds... will immediately be enrolled into the Royal Academy!"

 

There was some fanfare as the audience was roped back in to cheering for the trainees. Erik wasn't buying it though, his mind was burning with questions about the Royal Academy. Tapping the old man's elbow, he inquired,

 

"Can you tell me something more about the Royal Academy?"

 

"I'll tell you later, shh."

 

The man dismissed him, keeping his eyes on the trainees moving out of the ground, leaving the announcer in the center. 

 

"Folks... we begin now."

 

The announcer gave a pause, the audience shushing between themselves. Erik could see a rather interesting pair on the far end opposite to him. A man and woman, at the very back. Her face was flushed red, her black hair flowing over her face loosely as the man stood by in close proximity. Erik took a moment to understand and chuckled when the woman squirmed. The old man stole a glance at Erik and murmured to himself about his sharp eyes. This did little to interrupt the show, the announcer continued,

 

"Let us begin with a wonderful dance by the Flowing Water Troupe! It was their personal request, please enjoy the show!"

 

"A dance? I thought the first round was a show of skill?"

 

Erik asked out loud.

 

"It is. It also is an opportunity for other academies to scout out interesting talents. Look over there."

 

The old man gestured to the area to the side of the Royal Academy duo. There sat a black haired man in green-blue robes with similarly dressed attendants on each side.

 

"Hm?"

 

"That elder is of the Healing Water Academy. He'll have his eye out for this troupe in particular but none of these troupe members have a shot at the Royal Academy, they're too weak for it."

 

Erik nodded his head, keeping his eyes up front as the troupe entered the ground, wearing sea-blue eye masks.

 

"This troupe and that academy elder, they just fit together. The dance will be a display of their accuracy and diligence in their water element, both vital in medicine creation. You can guess the rest."

 

"And... the Medicinal Water Academy doesn't need the best fighter. It wants the trainees who are precise?"

 

"Hmph, your eyes work. What's your story?"

 

The old man turned his head to face Erik, curious about him. Erik simply waves his hand dismissively, gazing away as he responded,

 

"Oh, I'm just an Unawakened."

 

"Poor lad. You seem like a good fellow!"

 

The old man shook his head. Such a fate, no one could do anything. Forever limited to being on the lower end of society, it was best not to bother further. But there was something there... that just didn't fit. It was gnawing at his mind but he pulled his focus back, crossing his arms as he looked forward.

 

"Thank you!"

 

Erik said as he joined the audience in watching the troupe begin their dance. He hoped them the best of luck in his heart, thinking of their future as healers already.

2