Chapter 219 – Visit in paradise
303 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scarlett drew looks from the mansion’s servants as she trailed behind Empress through the halls, especially when the cat paused for some pats and attention along the way. Most appeared bewildered by Scarlett’s presence as Empress insisted on their grooming, but none seemed able to resist the cat.

One girl—presumably a new hire since Scarlett didn’t recognize her—seemed particularly uneasy under her gaze, but Empress was nothing if not relentless in her demand for others to attend to her.

Navigating through the mansion took longer than necessary, but Scarlett refrained from voicing any complaints as they finally made their way out through the rear of the estate. Using her pyrokinesis to stave off the chill, she followed Empress towards the hedge garden where the Loci was kept.

A blanket of thin white covered most of the estate, extending towards the training grounds and ending at the stone walls. The garden, at first glance, seemed no different, with snow-laden paths and bare hedges outlining its perimeter.

However, as Scarlett followed Empress deeper into the garden, signs of life began to emerge. The hedges sprouted green leaves, and the snow yielded to well-tended gravel paths. Colorful, peculiar flowers blossomed along the paths as the air warmed, allowing Scarlett to ease off her pyrokinesis.

Empress proudly led the way to the garden’s center, which revealed a spacious area with a quaint gazebo at one end and a stone pedestal at its core. Resting atop that pedestal was the Loci, a sizeable, uncut emerald encircled by vegetation.

A man of unassuming appearance sat on a bench. He wore a top hat, his shoulders covered by a dark cape, and a stylish cane rested next to him. The Gentleman surveyed the garden with a contented smile, seemingly undisturbed by Scarlett and Empress’ entrance.

Scarlett paused briefly as Empress continued forward, hopping onto the bench beside the man and settling down to lick her paw.

“It has been some time since I last saw another house spirit in this realm,” The Gentleman remarked, his gaze lingering on the Loci and the array of flowers that grew at the base. “They often require very particular conditions to thrive. Although I probably should not be, I am pleased to see that you have made good use of the gift my dear companion left for you.”

Scarlett glanced at the Loci. From it, she could feel a subtle sense of recognition aimed at The Gentleman. Or perhaps not recognition, but acknowledgment. While the artifact lacked true consciousness, it undeniably responded to the man’s presence.

“With the assistance of Dean Warley Godwin from Elystead Tower, we utilized the ashenwraith dragon’s heart to provide a power source,” Scarlett said as she moved closer to the man.

“The craftsmanship did seem familiar. Dean Godwin is indeed a masterful wizard.”

“That he is.”

The Gentleman finally shifted his attention to Scarlett, his smile widening slightly with a touch of formality. “It would seem your recent days have been quite eventful, Baroness.”

Locking eyes with him, Scarlett gave a small nod. “They have.”

“A most exceptional and unforeseen sequence of events, if I may say so myself.”

“I will not dispute that assessment.” She considered him for a moment. “…I recall seeking your help when Miss Hale set off for Crowcairn by herself.”

“You did, yes.” The Gentleman placed his hand on the top of the cane next to him. “And I had contemplated offering my assistance, given that some of my previous actions had inconvenienced you and your retainer. However, upon closer inspection, it seemed the path forward had already been chosen, rendering my interference unnecessary and wholly unwelcome.”

Scarlett frowned. “Chosen? By whom?”

She had sought his help out of concern that something would happen to Rosa before they could manifest the citadel and deal with Anguish. Until now, though, she hadn’t actually been certain if he had done anything.

The Gentleman seemed to ponder her question for a moment before redirecting his attention to the blooming garden, once again appreciating the colorful flora that had sprung up because of the Loci’s influence. “All who walk this land are victims of the strands of fate that govern this world, but that does not render our choices insignificant. There is meaning in the smallest of actions and the most momentous of decisions. Who ‘chooses’ what is one of many never-ending questions that permeates all that we are, but I personally find it to be the least important one.”

Scarlett’s frown deepened. He was avoiding giving a straightforward answer, then. She followed his gaze, observing their surroundings for a short while. Eventually, she returned her focus to him. “What is the purpose of your visit today?”

“To extend my apologies,” The Gentleman said, offering yet another, fainter smile. “While I may not have made any explicit promises of aid, I feel that I still let your expectations down to some extent.”

Beside him, Empress emitted a long meow.

The man glanced at her. “My esteemed companion here felt compelled to reprimand me for what she deemed a slight against one of her temporary attendants. She has grown rather fond of you, Baroness.”

Scarlett looked at the cat, who returned her gaze with bright, amethyst eyes. “…Thank you, Empress.”

Empress meowed in response, then stood and stretched her body, paws extended in front of her, before leaping off the bench. She looked at Scarlett, then back at the bench, issuing another meow.

“I believe she is offering you her spot,” The Gentleman said.

Raising an eyebrow, Scarlett observed the cat for a few seconds before taking the offered seat.

Seemingly content, Empress turned and strode towards the pedestal at the garden’s center. Scarlett watched as the cat positioned herself in front of the pedestal, sitting and peering up at the Loci as if in anticipation.

Scarlett felt a subtle shift through her bond with the Loci, as if it were responding to some unseen force. In an instant, the cat was perched atop the pedestal, her sleek, black fur brushing against the Loci.

Scarlett blinked. The transition had been imperceptible. She’d sensed the Loci drawing substantial power from the dragon’s heart embedded in its pedestal, but that was all. One moment, Empress had been on the ground; the next, she was on the pedestal, as though the spaces had momentarily merged.

Scarlett hadn’t realized the Loci had reached a stage where it could manipulate space to this extent. Giving it the dragon’s heart had accelerated its growth, but she had expected it would take far longer for it to acclimate to the new power source and perform feats like this. Admittedly, the action seemed to have taken a lot out of the Loci, but it was impressive nonetheless.

As for how Empress knew how to utilize this ability, somehow that didn’t surprise Scarlett. After becoming acquainted with the cat, that only felt fitting.

“The interactions and adaptations between the Wandering Realm’s denizens and this realm are always quite fascinating,” The Gentleman mused next to Scarlett. “I look forward to seeing how it will further develop. The core of an adolescent dragon is undeniably powerful and could prove beneficial in many ways. However, even such a potent element has its inherent limits, though I suspect you won’t let that hinder your future efforts.”

“Perhaps not,” Scarlett replied, watching Empress, who seemed comfortably at ease beside the Loci. The Loci, in turn, exuded a sense of what was perhaps best described as ‘tense anxiousness’ through the bond.

The sight itself was absurd — a cat treating a large gemstone as a pillow was odd enough, not to mention the idea of such a cat being capable of slaying dragons.

A brief pause fell between them, with Scarlett expecting The Gentleman to add more. But when he stayed silent, she took the initiative herself.

“Earlier,” she began, eyes remaining on Empress. “you sounded as though you were privy to my experiences in Crowcairn. Can I assume that you are informed about everything that transpired?”

She didn’t actually know how The Gentleman gathered his intelligence, as it was never addressed in the game. It simply was a given that he knew things. Scarlett didn’t think he was omniscient, but she also doubted he got all of his info from spying on people.

“I would presume to claim to know everything about anything, Baroness,” the man said. “But I do have a general grasp of the events and their leading circumstances. This marks the first instance of a Vile being barred from their own Blaze and stripped of such a substantial share of their Authority — and by a ‘mortal’, no less. The Blazes are destined to be in a state of disarray for some time, it would appear.”

“And what are your thoughts on what is to come?” Scarlett asked, turning towards him.

“I can venture some calculated conjecture.”

“Which are?”

The Gentleman offered only a modest, courteous smile. “Likely not far from the suppositions you might entertain, Baroness.”

Scarlett’s brow furrowed. He definitely had some clue about what she was, and what she knew.

Once again, she diverted her eyes from him to take in the garden’s vibrant colors. Beyond the hedges, the bare treetops outside the estate were just visible, yet within the garden, it felt like the height of summer.

“During the events in Bridgespell, I had the opportunity to converse with Anguish herself on multiple occasions,” she said after a time.

A light chuckle escaped the man beside her. “Rare are the times a mortal could make that claim in the past few centuries, I dare say.”

“She told me about an entity called the ‘Anomalous One’.”

A moment of silence passed.

“…The ‘Anomalous One’, you say? A curious subject for a Vile to broach.”

“Are you familiar with it?”

Out of the corner of her eye, Scarlett observed The Gentleman’s profile as he took a few seconds to respond. “I am, yes.”

“Then are you aware that I am also an Anomalous One?”

At that, the man turned towards her, his eyebrows slightly raised. Scarlett met his gaze squarely.

Admitting this was a gamble when she still didn’t fully understand his motivations, but it seemed unlikely that he wouldn’t already be aware. If Anguish could tell that Scarlett was an Anomalous One, then so could he. She was more likely to get a direct answer by not beating around the bush.

The Gentleman regarded her for a while before replying. “That does indeed align with some of my observations.”

“And which observations might those be, specifically?”

“Oh, I can assure you that the list is rather extensive.”

“But of course, you have no intention of sharing it,” Scarlett stated.

Another courteous smile was all he offered in return.

She resisted the urge to click her tongue. It felt like she could understand what it must have been like for Rosa when they had their talk. She wouldn’t be getting any detailed answers from this man, but perhaps she could at least do some more probing.

“Then do you at least have an inkling about what the Anomalous One is?” she pressed.

“That has been a subject of speculation for many across history,” the man answered. “Yet, it remains much a mystery to most all.”

Scarlett gave him a measured look. “Have you encountered it yourself?”

“As you are well aware, Baroness, it is sealed away. Direct contact with it is impossible.”

“The Hallowed Cabal and Tribe of Sin routinely harness its powers.”

“Granted, but it is not the same as a direct encounter. There are devouts who channel divine magics of gods long gone, yet those gods remain just as departed. What the Cabal and Tribe harness is the lingering imprint of the Anomalous One’s existence in this world, not the entity itself. Thainnith’s seal is quite effective still.”

Scarlett narrowed her eyes. “Are you certain?”

He regarded her thoughtfully in return for a few moments. “Do you have any reason to believe otherwise?”

She stayed silent as she mulled over his question. Somehow, she got the sense that his visit here today wasn’t only for the sake of apology.

After a pause, she finally responded. “I do not.”

It was probably best to stay quiet about her suspected run-in with the Anomalous One and its apparent interference with the system.

The Gentleman continued scrutinizing her for a bit longer. “I suppose I have no choice but to take your word for it,” he eventually said. He then collected his cane and stood from the bench. “Now, I believe I have allayed enough of my companion’s concerns regarding my conduct; hence, I’ll take my leave. Should you choose, convey my most sincere felicitations to Miss Hale on her newfound freedom and peace of mind. A woman such as her deserves that much.”

He beckoned for Empress, who glanced at him from her perch on the pedestal before leisurely leaping down and joining him. They both cast a final look back at Scarlett.

“It’s unlikely our paths with intersect again anytime soon, Baroness,” The Gentleman said as he tipped his hat. “I will be quite occupied from hereon, and I suspect much the same will hold true for you in the near future. Nevertheless, I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming endeavours, and in Beld Thylelion.”

Empress uttered a soft meow.

“Ah, yes, and Empress wanted me to inform you of her appreciation for the warm spots for relaxing during this time of year that you have here,” he added. “While you will see little of me, you can expect her on occasion. I would normally try to dissuade her from intruding upon your hospitality too much, but this time, I am afraid it is a lost cause.”

“You are always most welcome in my home, Empress,” Scarlett said, turning her focus to the cat.

Empress seemed particularly pleased with that reply, turning around and strutting off with her tail held high.

The Gentleman tapped his cane against the ground as he made to follow. “Till next we meet, Baroness.”

“Until then,” Scarlett echoed.

She watched as the pair soon disappeared among the hedges, leaving her alone. At the back of her mind, the Loci almost felt relieved.

She supposed it was understandable.

17