Chapter 220 – Sibling reunions
294 4 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Later in the evening, following Scarlett’s meeting with The Gentleman and Empress and some time spent familiarising herself with the Loci’s development, she had returned to her office. The interrupted reports were spread out in front of her, with the completed ones to her left and the remaining few to her right.

As the clock approached ten, Scarlett was wrapping up her tasks for the day. Her typical routine often involved staying up later than this, and it had become somewhat of a challenge for her to fall asleep before midnight, but recent events had taken their toll, leaving her body more tired than usual.

A knock on the door interrupted her focus.

“Scarlett?” Evelyne’s voice filtered through the wood. “Are you there?”

“I am,” Scarlett replied, setting aside the document she was reviewing. “You may enter.”

The door opened, and Evelyne stepped inside. The younger Hartford sister was dressed in a rich burgundy velvet blouse with subtle embroidery on the sleeves, her mostly auburn hair falling just above her shoulders.

“Garside told me you were back,” Evelyne said as she crossed the room. “But I wasn’t sure if you would still be awake.”

“You will seldom find me asleep at this hour,” Scarlett noted, observing the faint shadows under the woman’s eyes, a blend of tension and relief visible in her expression. It seemed she had headed here straight after returning to the mansion.

“Really?” Evelyne stopped by Scarlett’s desk, pulling out the chair set for guests. “I didn’t know that. Feels like I can barely ever find any time to sleep myself, but I didn’t realize you were the same. Mind if I sit down?”

Scarlett gestured that it was fine, and Evelyne settled into the chair, leaning forward with her elbows on her lap, seeming to collect her thoughts.

“I suppose most of our interactions have been confined to the dining hall and the occasional discussion regarding fief matters,” Scarlett mused. “Regardless, I presume you are here to talk about recent happenings?”

A solemn nod from Evelyne confirmed Scarlett’s words. “I am, yes.”

Scarlett considered her for a moment. “Considering that you only returned just now, this could have waited till morning.”

The younger woman grimaced. “Do you think I could sleep knowing you’re back? Even when I’ve had the time to rest, I’ve struggled to keep my eyes closed lately because of this impending ‘catastrophe’ or whatever that you have me preparing for. My mind keeps concocting the wildest scenarios about the empire collapsing in on itself, and that mess over in Bridgespell didn’t really help me relax.”

“I understand your concerns, but rest assured, there was no imminent danger.” Scarlett glanced down at the reports on her desk. “That said, it seems as if you have been rather busy during my absence. Care to tell me more about it? I have been reading through the reports, but I would like to hear the overarching details from you, if possible.”

She wasn’t sure if Evelyne had composed these reports herself or received help, but honestly, they were a bit overly detailed for her taste. Having a lot of information was good, but she wouldn’t mind less focused reports on her end. It wasn’t like she personally involved herself in most of these matters.

Evelyne stared at Scarlett, a short, disbelieving laugh escaping her. “Is that really what we should be starting on?”

“I believe addressing the less critical matters first will pave the way for more serious discussions,” Scarlett said.

The woman fell silent for a moment, then sighed. “Fine. For now, I’ve delegated most of the fief’s management to Kinsley while I’ve been dealing with everything else, so there’s not much to report on that front. I have made some trips to the surrounding region and met with other nobles to solidify my connections from the Tyndall Ball, but I doubt you care much about that. Although I did meet with a few individuals who might be able to help us in the future, and who were interested in you, including Baron Tattersall in Dimwall and Lady Smythe from the Luicean Spice Guild. Master Arthur Windermere as well, if you remember him.”

Scarlett nodded. “I do recall meeting Master Windermere during the ball, and the name Tattersall seems familiar. I do not recognize Lady Smythe, however.”

Though she had studied the empire’s aristocracy enough to recognize most noble families, she remained far from an expert.

“Well, I’m the one handling negotiations with them, so it doesn’t matter much. Lady Smythe was one of the people we helped during the Tribe attack at the ball, and she wanted to show her gratitude in a tangible way,” Evelyne explained. “Beyond that, I’ve also been running all over the place while trying to spearhead those ‘relief initiatives’ of ours. I hired more hands to help out with it all, but I severely underestimated how complex the logistics involved in something like this are.”

She shook her head with a tired expression. “If the empire’s grain supply is affected, the amount we can source from Stagmond and the surrounding villages won’t even make a dent in the demand, so I’ve had to explore additional avenues for food sources and other necessities. Master Windermere and the Western Merchant’s Alliance actually proved extremely helpful in getting into contact with some Voneian and Luicean traders who were willing to make deals. The current market conditions mean higher costs, but it’s better that it goes to us than outside the empire. You also said that costs were inconsequential here, so…”

Evelyne’s expression held a hint of uncertainty as she looked at Scarlett.

“You still do not have to worry about the expenses,” Scarlett said. “As long as we can sustain it, use whatever resources you deem necessary.”

She had already set aside the funds she needed for herself, and she didn’t foresee any issues with accumulating more in the future, given how many dungeons there were in the empire. Judging from the reports, Evelyne’s efforts were already expected to surpass 1,000,000 solars, but that was still within the amount that just the ashenwraith dragon’s remains were worth.

Evelyne seemed to relax a bit hearing that, and she continued. “We can’t exactly keep all the produce and materials we’re getting here or in the fief, so I’ve also rented storage space in the harbor. But if we’re to make a real impact, we’ll need more. That’s why I’m considering reaching out to larger merchant groups in the city to borrow their facilities, or maybe seek assistance from Count Knottley, though that would likely require you to convince him.”

Scarlett frowned. “That might prove…challenging.”

“I suspected as much, but it could save us a lot of money better spent on securing more resources.”

After a moment of consideration, she nodded. “I will see what I can do.”

While Count Knottley wasn’t exactly her biggest fan, his loyalty to the empire was pretty steadfast. If she framed the request in the right way, he might agree to help them out a bit. Maybe she could also contact Livvi and enlist the woman’s help in persuading her father.

“Besides securing food and storage,” Evelyne said, “we need to tackle the issues of workforce and distribution. Like I said, I’ve already started hiring people to help out where possible, but their experience is limited. Mostly, they’re just additional city-dwellers left without work for the season. I’m still looking into where I can find more qualified personnel. As for distribution, our position is somewhat stronger, thanks to our access to the Kilnstone network and the shipping lanes here in Freybrook. I’ve already initiated talks with some crews that were willing to collaborate. The challenge lies in moving supplies and people from other cities to affected areas, but I was hoping that the local lords and factions could manage that.”

Scarlett considered the prospect for a short while. “…In some cases, that may be the case. However, we should also consider alternative methods for land-based distribution when necessary.”

When the Cabal and Tribe commenced their full assault on the empire, there were no assurances that all nobles could effectively protect their domains and people. Some regions would be more vulnerable than others, and the typical land routes connecting smaller settlements might prove unreliable.

Evelyne seemed to share Scarlett’s concern, her brow furrowing. “I was worried you were going to say that. It would require a considerable number of wagons and skilled personnel to carry out something like that on a large scale, though. Even if we were just focusing on the Freybrook region, I’m not sure we can manage that.”

“True,” Scarlett said. “In that case, perhaps it would be prudent to cooperate with the Shields Guild and Followers of Ittar. They possess both the manpower and expertise needed for such ventures, and would likely carry them out even without our involvement. If we leave that aspect to them, we can concentrate our efforts elsewhere.”

“I’ve actually already begun exploring that option,” Evelyne revealed. “Or, at least, I’ve started making inquiries. I reached out to my contact in the Guild to see what preparations they already had given their ongoing conflict with the Tribe. Unfortunately, they’re already stretched thin, so it’s unclear if they’ll be able to fill that role as we would want. I visited the local temple to see how things looked on that front as well, but there wasn’t much to learn.”

“If need be, I have a connection to a member of the Quorum whom I can approach for further insights,” Scarlett said.

Evelyne’s eyes widened slightly, mild surprise showing on her face. “You do?”

“Yes.”

“Since when?”

“Recently.”

“…Thanks, that answers a lot.” Evelyne let out another sigh. “Never mind. That would be helpful, so please do that. On a similar note, I was also intending to look into if I can find some liaison within the imperial army or one of the knight orders to see if we could work with them somehow. If I approach them under the guise of being worried because of current affairs, it won’t even look that suspicious.”

“That seems like a sound strategy.”

Evelyne’s expression grew thoughtful, and the room settled into silence for a short time. Eventually, she noticed Scarlett’s contemplative gaze. “What is it?”

“Nothing,” Scarlett said, her voice neutral. “I was merely thinking.”

“About?”

A faint frown creased Scarlett’s brow. “You have been exceptionally active and committed to furthering this endeavour. It is…commendable, the strides you are making.”

Though the words felt wrong leaving Scarlett’s mouth, she believed they were appropriate at this point.

Evelyne looked flustered for a moment, blinking slowly. Then a somewhat awkward smile crossed her features as she shifted uncomfortably. “Well, there’s not much of a choice, is there? Not with a sister who places all the responsibility on me and runs off to do Ittar-knows-what all across the empire.”

Scarlett gave her a mildly annoyed look, prompting the woman to backtrack slightly. “Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that… But it is true that things have been hectic and I’ve been swamped with work. Feels like I’ve spent more time out of the mansion than in it. I doubt that there are many people who bother paying attention to my movements, but there’s definitely going to be some rumors eventually. Not much we can do about that since we’re pressed for time.”

“Rumors can be managed. Your work is important, so simply continue as you have without giving them undue concern.”

Scarlett thought she saw another smile on the woman’s lips, but it might have been a figment of her imagination. Soon, a more serious expression returned to Evelyne’s face.

“Now that I’ve told you what I’ve been up to, it’s your turn.” Evelyne locked eyes with her. “What happened in Bridgespell?”

Scarlett held her gaze for a few seconds before responding. “There were several notable developments there. For one, there were my interactions with Duke Valentino, as you are already aware.”

“Yes, and I’m still not sure how that came about. What did he want with you? Was he interested in the artifacts you’ve been selling?”

“No. His concerns were unrelated to the artifacts. Instead, he sought my apparent expertise for a certain issue within his territory.”

“What issue was this?”

“A dragon.”

Evelyne fell silent. “…A dragon?”

“He believed it to be one, at least. In reality, it was not a true dragon, but I assisted him in locating and neutralizing it nonetheless.”

Evelyne stared at Scarlett, then closed her eyes as if collecting herself. “Okay, I think I’ve already exhausted my surprise for the day. This is fine.” She reopened her eyes. “So, how did you help ‘neutralize’ this non-dragon? Please don’t tell me a cat was involved.”

“It was not.”

“No, I wasn’t seri—” Evelyne paused, then shook her head. “Whatever. Right now, I don’t even think I want to know. Let’s just continue. I assume this happened before that colossal fortress appeared and sent half of the empire into a panic? Do you know what that was all about?”

Scarlett nodded. “I do.”

Evelyne gave her a long, penetrating look. “You were involved in that too, weren’t you?”

“I was, yes.”

Of course you were. I’m not even sure why I entertained the hope that you weren’t. Something that chaotic couldn’t possibly not be related to you, apparently.” Evelyne’s tone was resigned, but Scarlett thought she was taking it all rather well. “So, what exactly happened? Everyone I’ve spoken to seems to know about as much as the rest, and neither the Followers nor the Empyreal Chronicle have revealed more than the fortress being linked to some demonic ritual. They say it’s been dealt with already, but I’m not sure how much people believe that.”

“The precise sequence of events is…complex,” Scarlett said. “If I am being candid, I highly suspect that you would prefer to remain unaware of the details in this case as well. However, I will tell you what I can if you are interested.”

Evelyne seemed to genuinely consider this for a moment, leaning back in her chair with arms crossed. “Just lay it on me before I regain enough sense to say ‘no’.”

“…Very well.” Scarlett slowly tapped an index finger on her desk. “The fortress near Bridgespell originated from the Blazes, and it was the citadel of one of the six Viles. The so-called ‘dragon’ that Duke Valentino was concerned about was, in fact, a powerful demon connected to the appearance of that citadel. The structure’s emergence in our realm signified a Vile attempting to manifest here, and my role played a part in preventing such a calamity from occurring. When it appeared, I collaborated with Father Abraham, whom you might recall, to assess and tackle the situation without allowing a horde of demons to descend upon the empire’s citizens.”

From the expression on Evelyne’s face, Scarlett could tell that the woman was already regretting her decision. “…And with ‘tackle the situation’, you mean…?”

“I confronted the Vile as it was manifesting and successfully halted the process,” Scarlett explained.

“…You confronted a Vile?”

“I did, yes.”

“You’re kidding, right?”

“When was the last time you heard me jest?”

Evelyne went silent.

Scarlett waited as the seconds passed.

“Let me get this straight,” Evelyne eventually said. “When you say ‘manifest’, you mean a Vile was literally crossing from the Blazes into our realm?”

“Yes.”

“And you’re saying that you put a stop to that?” the woman asked, her tone a mix of skepticism and disbelief.

“I did,” Scarlett replied. “Although I was not alone. I had support from other groups, such as the Followers of Ittar.”

She didn’t have to mention that she was partly responsible for the citadel appearing in the first place.

Evelyne brought both hands up to her face, turning to stare up at the ceiling while threading her fingers through her hair, seemingly trying to process it all. After a few seconds, she refocused her attention on Scarlett. “So the situation really is resolved, then? That colossal fortress truly isn’t a threat?”

“It is a citadel, but yes. At the very least, it currently poses no immediate threat. I imagine entering it may still hold risks for the ill-prepared, but the Vile inside has been dealt with. As far as I am aware, the Followers, crown officials, the mage towers, and several other factions are currently in the process of investigating the citadel and its environment to understand more.”

Scarlett had thought about mentioning the Tribe’s enclave in Crowcairn but decided against it. That information wasn’t necessary for Evelyne to know, and she had promised Duke Valentino to keep quiet about that for now.

“Did you anticipate all this happening?” Evelyne asked. “Was it part of those future memories you have? Is that why you went to Bridgespell now, of all times?”

“…To some extent,” Scarlett admitted.

“Which means?”

“There were unforeseen developments that I had not predicted, including unexpected individuals. The manifestation also was not tied to a specific date, so I did not know for certain when it would occur.”

“But you did go to Bridgespell specifically to address this?”

“Essentially, yes.”

“…Alright.” Evelyne studied Scarlett for several seconds. “Thank you.”

Scarlett blinked. “What?”

“Thank you,” the woman repeated. “I know there’s more to all of this than you’re letting on, and I doubt dealing with a Vile could ever be so straightforward—I am definitely going to ask more about that later—but it sounds like your actions may have prevented a greater disaster. Given how no one else seems to be talking about this, I assume most people aren’t aware of that. That’s why I’ll at least be one of those who express their gratitude.”

Scarlett stared at her.

Receiving Evelyne’s thanks for this was more than just unexpected. It wasn’t even something she particularly wanted. It just felt odd. She wasn’t sure if it was good or bad. The fact that she was partly responsible for Anguish’s manifestation made it all the more weird.

…But outright dismissing the woman’s gratitude felt even more off.

“Your thanks are unnecessary, but the gesture is appreciated,” she eventually responded, though her voice lacked much emotion. Evelyne seemed to sense it but didn’t comment, simply moving on to the next topic.

“I’d like to hear more about the people involved and what consequences all of this might have, but I think I’ve heard enough for one night,” Evelyne said, eyeing the clock on Scarlett’s desk. “I’m going to regret asking, but before we finish, were there any other world-shattering events that happened while you were in Bridgespell?”

“Not world-shattering, no,” Scarlett replied. “I did uncover some additional artifacts that we will need to auction off at a later time, though I believe I have already mentioned as much in my letters. The servants should have catalogued them for further assessment in the morning, so whenever you have the time, it would be good if you could arrange for someone to handle that.”

“Sure. That won’t be a problem.”

“Also…” Scarlett paused. She wasn’t sure this was something she should share with the woman.

“What is it?” Evelyne asked.

Scarlett studied the woman for a bit. This was probably something she was expected to keep quiet about as well, but it might be in Evelyne’s interest to know. “When I first met with the duke, he was accompanied by His Imperial Highness, the First Prince.”

That seemed to catch Evelyne by surprise. “The duke invited you to a meeting with the prince?”

“He did.”

“…Was this related to that citadel, or was this before that?”

“Before. They sought my help in locating the First Princess.”

“What? Why?” Evelyne frowned. “What happened to her?”

“She has gone missing,” Scarlett said.

“Seriously?”

“Yes.”

Evelyne massaged her forehead. “Is it just impossible for you to not get entangled in ludicrous situations all the time now? Did you perform some kind of ritual that made the whole world revolve around you?”

“I have wondered that myself on occasion.”

Evelyne didn’t seem to think it was quite that funny. “Why would they ask you for help if the princess has disappeared?”

“Because they suspected that her disappearance was connected to the Zuverian research she had been carrying out. Given my knowledge in that area, they thought to seek my advice.”

A small snort escaped Evelyne. “Knowledge? One year ago, you barely knew who the Zuver were.”

Evelyne.” A chill entered Scarlett’s voice.

“…Sorry,” Evelyne quickly apologized.

Choosing not to dwell on the momentary irritation, Scarlett went on. “I provided them with the insights I had, and from what the duke later told me, it seems as if they found some leads on the princess’ whereabouts. I was not privy to the details, however.”

Evelyne looked concerned. “I hope she’s safe.”

“I believe she is.”

The woman gave Scarlett a probing look. “…Do you know something?”

“Not as much as I would like. But I have trust that the situation will be resolved eventually.”

“…Alright.” Evelyne paused for a moment before standing up. “Anyway, was there anything else you wanted to talk about?”

“No, I think the rest can wait for now.”

“Thank Ittar. I’m going to have enough trouble sleeping as it is.” Evelyne moved towards the door, and Scarlett returned her attention to the remaining documents on her desk, intending to finish them quickly before retiring to her quarters.

But after a brief silence, she realized Evelyne hadn’t left. Looking up, she saw the woman standing in front of the exit, back turned towards her.

Eventually, she turned to face her.

“Was there something you forgot to say?” Scarlett asked.

Evelyne hesitated. “I, uh, know that it might not have sounded like it before, but I am genuinely amazed by all that you’re doing, in a good way. Both your dedication to these relief efforts, what went down in Bridgespell, and everything else. It’s…remarkable.” She turned around, as if embarrassed by her admission. With one hand on the door’s handle, only her profile remained visible to Scarlett. “One year ago, father would have been disappointed at the state of the barony and the things you were up to. But now? The things this new you are doing? I think he would have been proud.”

With that, she left the office, leaving Scarlett gazing at the closed door amidst the quiet. Unexpectedly, a mix of conflicting emotions—anger, pride, and even tiny, imperceptible traces of joy—began to stir within her.

She was at a loss for words in response to that.

22