Vol.2 Chapter 13 – Ariadne
851 4 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

October 25, 2031

Sunday

 

“It’s gorgeous!” Lucy exclaimed.

 

“I know, right? Seems like a nice place to relax and take it easy,” Blitz voiced out his thoughts.

 

“…Good enough,” Seer added.

 

“Do not forget that we are not here on a vacation,” I chided them.

 

We arrived at the 5-star boutique hotel rented by the CoA staff; Majestic Mirage found in the Getty Center. Based on my research about the place, it offers a plethora of amenities, including a jacuzzi with water jets that release pressurized water into the tub, a spa that provides various wellness and relaxation services, and an infinity pool with a breathtaking view. These facilities are specifically designed to cater to high-class guests. I must admit, I'm a bit surprised that the CoA staff was able to secure the entire place for a week. However, considering it is a boutique hotel and taking into account the range of CoA's budget, it now seems plausible upon further reflection.

 

“Come on Aria, don’t be like that. A good rest is also needed for a good performance!” Lucy pointed out.

 

“Yeah, your partner is right. Take it easy for once, will ya?” Blitz supported her.

 

Well, she does have a point there. Rest is always important after all.

 

I sighed. “I guess that’s fair,” I conceded.

 

I could try to invite Katherine to swim and relax before the tournament starts.

 

A picturesque scene of Katherine wearing a stylish swimsuit and me bathing together in the pool flashed through the corners of my mind.

 

I immediately shook my head to remove that notion. What am I thinking? I'm here to surpass her, not to play pool parties with her. Well, maybe after the tournament is over, we can hang out, but for now, I have to focus on the tournament.

 

“Let’s proceed inside, I want to rest after driving you guys around the city for the whole morning,” Seer urged us to hurry up.

 

“You’re a resident here in LA so you’re the only one qualified to be our tour guide, Ken!” Blitz teased him.

 

“Next time, hire a proper one, you're too nitpicky on my spots to visit."

 

"Can't blame me! You suggest a lot of boring places," he countered.

 

The two bantered as we got close to the entrance, a quick walk from the parking lot near the hotel.

 

Arriving at the entrance, we saw the guards dutifully guarding the hotel.

 

Carefully analyzing them, they seem professional and alert. They stood tall, exuding a sense of authority and confidence. Their uniforms were sharp and well-maintained, further emphasizing their role as security enforcers of the premises. They also wear a serious expression, indicating their commitment to their duty.

 

It seems to me that the CoA team is taking safety and security measures seriously, which is a positive thing for me, although I cannot say the same for my best friend.

 

"Uhm... Aria, should we go in?" Lucy remarked, a bit apprehensive by the imposing guards.

 

"Yeah, they do look like they mean business, good thing I didn't bring anything illegal with me, ha ha ha" Blitz laughed nervously, trying to lighten the mood.

 

Seer, for his part, remained silent, waiting for me to take the lead.

 

"Don't fret over it. We deserve to be here. We've worked hard to earn the invite. It is our duty to carry ourselves with confidence and act accordingly," I encouraged them, trying to boost their morale.

 

Acting on my words, I confidently stride toward the entrance of the hotel. My teammates, after seeing me lead the way, followed suit.

 

The security guards for their part stood tall, their expressions serious and alert even after noticing me approach them.

 

With a calm demeanor, I walked up to the first guard.

 

"We are the Paragons. One of the qualified teams for the U20 'Champion's Brawl'," I confidently stated.

 

"Good afternoon, Ma'am," he gave me a nod coupled with a professional smile.

 

"Forgive us for inquiring, but we need to see your credentials for the safety protocol," the other guard respectfully added.

 

I reached into my purse, retrieved my identification card, and extended my hand, offering it to the guard for inspection. The guard took the card, carefully examined it, and then glanced up at me, studying my face for a brief moment.

 

After a brief pause, the guard nodded and handed back my ID, while giving me a respectful nod.

 

“Please proceed Miss Aria Reed.”

 

Well, that was unexpectedly easy. I guess we were worried about nothing.

 

After successfully clearing the security checks, I entered the hotel, a wave of excitement and curiosity washing over me. I patiently waited for the rest of my team to complete their inspections, observing as the guards diligently repeated the procedure for each member. Despite their need to be vigilant and cautious, they treated us with respect and fairness, which I deeply appreciated.

 

"Here you are Mr. Kenneth Smith," the guard gave Seer a welcoming smile just as he handed back his ID, signaling to all of us that our inspection had been cleared.

 

After the guards let us through, we walked into the elegant lobby of the 5-star hotel. The reception area was beautifully decorated with plush furniture and a sparkling chandelier hanging from the ceiling. As we approached the reception desk, a friendly receptionist greeted us with a warm smile.

 

"Good afternoon! How may I assist you today?" she asked in a professionally practiced manner.

 

Seeing as my teammates preferred to let me take the lead in conversations, I stepped forward, ready to assume the role of spokesperson.

 

"Good afternoon, we are one of the participants in the tournament. We would like to book four rooms please.”

 

"Certainly! We have different room types available. May I know your preference?"

 

"I would like a deluxe room with a city view, if possible,” I stared at my team, prompting them for any preference, wherein none seemed to have any. “And three other rooms, no specific preference," I added.

 

“Understood Ma’am! Let me check our availability for you,” the receptionist quickly checked the computer system to find the best available room for my request.

 

“Could you please provide me with all of your names?” she inquired politely.

 

We all gave our names and after a short process, we all got our keycards with varying rooms, all of which are stationed on the 4th floor.

 

We all thanked the receptionist for her assistance. However, before departing, I couldn't resist satisfying my curiosity about a particular matter.

 

“Excuse me, do you know where the room of another participant going by the name of Katherine Katyusha is?" I asked the receptionist.

 

Good thing I found out about her real name and a picture of her through blackmai- I mean through politely inquiring her about it. It is handy for these types of purposes.

 

"Forgive us, Miss Reed. As much as I would like to help you, I'm afraid we adhere to strict privacy policies and regulations that protect the confidentiality of our guests," she replied apologetically.

 

"I... understand," I conceded.

 

I might be able to persuade her to disclose the information, but it would be too selfish of me to undermine a person who is only doing her job and adhering to the rules. On the contrary, she deserves my utmost respect for doing her tasks properly.

 

It is a bit of a shame though, I wanted to surprise Katherine by paying an unannounced visit to her room. Considering that she mentioned her team would arrive around this time, it's likely that she and her team are already here. However, to confirm her exact whereabouts, I suppose I'll need to send her a private message as usual.

 

My thoughts were instantly shattered as we unexpectedly encountered two familiar competitors of ours walking toward my team.

 

“Look what we have here if it isn’t the wannabe Paragons team,” a brawny guy wearing a grey tee taunted.

d3427176-a274-42c9-9c6f-f5b5fb1ffc6d

 

Of all the people that we could have encountered, why this guy? Being part of our rival guild, the Shadow Vanguard, both of our teams have some kind of rivalry. This guy is also infamous for having anger management issues and I'm pretty sure he has a grudge against Blitz after their fight went viral when he trashed him in one of his streams.

 

“Oh, hey dude, I fancy meeting you here!” Blitz casually called out to him.

 

“Don’t talk to me like we close, faggot,” he spat out.

 

“Don’t be like that! Are you still mad I destroyed you last time we got queued in a ranked 1v1 match?”

 

Blitz's taunt seemed to hit a nerve.

 

“…Then, want to settle it with our fists? Right here, right now?” he threatened Blitz.

 

“Sure, sure, why not? I don’t need my trusted rapier to pummel you through the ground in real life. I could use a little exercise after eating all those tacos earlier,” Blitz casually taunted, not backing out from the challenge.

 

“Guys! Are you two serious?!” Lucy exclaimed.

 

“If you guys have any arguments online, settle it there. Let's not bring any conflicts into the real world, especially in this establishment," I interjected, making them aware of the attention we were attracting from the hotel staff.

 

“She’s right. let’s go, Jin. Settle your score in-game,” his teammate, who had been silent till now, dissuaded him.

 

At least he appears to be relatively sensible, unlike his companion, who tends to rely more on physical strength than rationality. It seems this is what steroids and testosterone shots do to people, it makes them unreasonable.

 

“Tsk! I’ll show how weak you are at the main stage,” he said his piece before following his teammate towards the cafeteria hall.

 

I heard Lucy sigh. “Does this usually happen in tournaments?” she complained.

 

“If Tactical is to be believed, this never happens in pro tournaments,” Seer added.

 

“So, Blake and that guy is the problem, huh?” Lucy deadpanned.

 

“Come on guys, don’t blame me! It’s all that guy’s fault. I’m sure you guys are also irritated by him calling us wannabe Paragons,” Blitz defended himself.

 

“Yeah, kind of, but it’s no excuse to hurt each other in real life,” Lucy countered.

“Yes, mom.”

 

"Let's go and pack up our belongings. I'm eager to check out the room I've been assigned to,” I interrupted their banter.

 

We proceed to make our way across the lobby, taking in the luxurious surroundings.

 

As we approach the elevator bank, we notice the sleek and modern design of the elevators. One of the doors opens just as we reach them, and we step inside. Inside, I noticed that the interior was well-lit and impeccably clean. I press the button for the fourth floor where all of us are assigned to. Just as the door was about to close, I heard someone shout.

 

“WAAAAAIIT” the girl exclaimed, which prompted me to push the hold button of the elevator.

 

“Whew, SAFE! Thank you!” as the girl entered the elevator, she expressed her gratitude towards me before pressing the button for the third floor.

 

As the elevator door closed, I studied her. She is wearing traditional-styled clothing. Her porcelain skin glows with a natural radiance, and her almond-shaped eyes, adorned with long, fluttering lashes, exude a sense of innocence and curiosity. Her jet-black long hair frames her delicate face, accentuating her small, button-like nose and soft, rose-tinted lips.

 

If I am not mistaken, this girl is… “You’re Hana Yamamoto, correct?” I inquired.

 

“Ohh! You know me! I didn’t know I was that famous! He hehe,” she grinned to herself.

 

“Of course! We do! You’re Aoi’s sister, after all, right?” Lucy butted in.

 

“Ack! Yeah, of course, people only know me because of Onee-chan…” she became instantly disheartened.

 

“M-my bad, that was insensitive of me,” Lucy quickly apologized.

 

“No biggie! My sister is the greatest after all!" she exclaimed cheerfully, her mood shifting so quickly that we were caught completely off guard and left speechless.

 

“Wait, you look familiar…” she stared at me as if inspecting every part of my face.

 

"Uhm..." I stood there not knowing what to do in response to her actions.

 

“Oh right! I remember! You're Yuusha’s protégé right! I’m a huge fan of hers! I have all her limited-edition collectibles and-.”

 

*PING

The sound of the elevator interrupted her continuous chatter.

 

“Oh, it seems like this is my stop! Let's chat again later, okay? I want to know more about Yuusha from the student herself!” she waved us goodbye before exiting the elevator.

 

“What a strange girl,” Blitz voiced out after she was completely gone.

 

“Don’t let her carefree attitude fool you. She is one of the strongest players here,” Seer pointed out.

 

That got me curious, how strong is she compared to our ace, Blitz?

 

“Ken, who do you think will win in a 1v1 scenario, Blake or her?” Lucy inquired what was bugging my mind.

 

Seer seemed to ponder for a second before answering. “In a controlled scenario, I have full confidence that Blake won’t lose to anyone participating in this tourney one-versus-one," he helpfully informed us.

 

“Ha, I know you’re always on my side Ken!” Blitz happily accepted the praise.

 

“I’m just stating facts based on my observation from both of your skills, nothing more.”

 

Knowing Seer, I’m positive he is not lying to us just to raise our morale; he undoubtedly thinks that Blitz is the strongest player here in one-versus-one. I really do want to agree with his analysis, but I know better since she is also participating in the tournament.

 

59