Vol.2 Chapter 4 Chu
1.2k 10 67
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My opponent in front of me, a quiver strapped across her back drew her bow, intending to aim and fire at me the first moment possible. I tightened my grip on the butterfly swords in response, feeling the familiar weight and balance in my hands, preparing for the challenge ahead.

 

3…2…1… Duel Start!

 

As the signal for battle rang, I launched forward while dodging the wind arrow she let fly, aiming to close the distance between us and disrupt her rhythm. But Zephyr was swift, stepping back just enough to maintain her advantage. Her arrows continued to whistle through "the air, each one a miniature wind arrow seeking its target.

 

After a couple of minutes of back and forth of our usual dance, she finally ran out of mana. It helps that I already have a grasp of her play style and the speed of her arrows, making it easier for me to dodge her wind arrows or parry her normal arrows.

 

Having no mana left, she has to result in using only normal arrows that I can parry. This match is as good as won.

 

As I got near her with a combination of parries and dodges, she frantically used her wooden arrows to dissuade my movements. But by then, the match was already settled. I easily parried all of her attacks while continuing to close the gap between us.

 

I finally succeeded in getting close to her. An archer who is not able to keep their distance is as good as dead against a skilled melee fighter unless they are proficient in hand-to-hand combat, which very few players are gifted at.

 

I did the fastest combo attacks I could to capitalize on the opportunity presented before me.

 

Zephyr

HP: 1%

 

You won the duel! Congratulations!

 

The duel ended before she died, it was not set in deathmatch mode to begin with so none of us could possibly die given the settings at hand.

 

“Oww, ow, ouch! You’re too rough, can’t you be gentler?” she pleaded.

 

I ignored the innuendo.

 

“We cannot improve ourselves if we don’t give it our all.”

 

“Fine… still, can’t a strong man like you go a little bit easy on a frail lady like me?” she fluttered her eyes as if to make a point.

 

“There is no such thing as genders on a battlefield,” I shut her down.

 

“Hmmm, Fair enough, I don’t like to be underestimated either. Tell you what, how about one last fight, with stakes this time?” she smiled slyly at the suggestion.

 

I stared at her, urging her to continue.

 

“You see, the whole Magic Atelier team and I will be having a fan meet and greet event near the ‘Champion’s Brawl’ tournament venue. It was preset a while ago because we were supposed to be participating in the tournament, but sadly, we got matched into you guys,” she stared at me accusatorily.

 

I broke eye contact, feeling a little guilty. I know quite well that I should not feel remorseful because that is just the spirit of competition, but I still do.

 

“Oh, don’t misunderstand, I’m not blaming you guys or anything! You were the better team and deserved that slot. Anyway, what I’m getting at is, the event has been established way back, and a lot of our fans are planning to attend so we cannot cancel it.”

 

“…What does it have to do with the bet?”

 

“Oh, that’s simple, I want you to attend the meet and greet if I win!” she flashed a toothy grin.

 

“…I don’t like joining those types of events.”

 

“I can tell,” she said in a monotone voice. “That is why we’re having a bet, if you lose, then you have to go!” she continued.

 

“…And if I win?”

 

“Hmmm… then you don’t have to go?”

 

There is nothing in it for me then.

 

“I don’t think it’s a fair bet…” I voiced out the obvious.

 

“Oh, is Mr. NambaWan backing down? How can you call yourself ‘the’ number one if you back down from these types of challenges,” she goaded.

 

“The name was not my idea in the first place. A friend of mine changed my user name as a prank.”

 

“Oh, why haven’t you changed it back yet?” she curiously queried.

 

“…It kind of grown on me.”

 

And also, it costs a lot to change nicknames in this game.

 

“Huh, I see… anyway, about the bet. Are you scared you’re going to lose now? Is that why you don’t want to accept?” she continued to taunt.

 

I know very well what she is trying to accomplish with her prodding, but my pride as a duelist cannot decline a request for a battle.

 

“…You’re on.”

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“How do you like my shock arrows? It costs a ton to craft a single one of it but it's worth it!” she enthusiastically bragged.

 

What a blunder, she does have a different arrow type prepared to counter me and was saving it for a crucial battle. It backfired when I tried to parry it, thinking that it was just a normal arrow, leaving me in a paralyzed state for a couple of seconds making me an easy target for her. That is why she was that confident in making a bet, I fell right into her goading. Still, it was entirely my fault for not preparing for the possibility of it happening.

 

“…Why didn’t you use one of those in the tournament?”

 

“Well, to tell you the truth, I underestimated you back then. I didn’t know you would be that good at parrying. I also bought a different special arrow that day, a poisoned one. After all, I didn’t research your play style cause I didn’t think I’d get matched up with you in the first place. Although that taught me never to underestimate my opponents and always be on guard even if I’m winning, so thanks for the lesson!” she stared at me, her eyes full of gratitude.

 

I looked away, a little abashed by the praise.

 

“So, now that I won, you better keep your promise!” she gleefully teased.

 

“…Fine, I never go back down on my word.”

 

“Teehee, I know. You don’t seem like the type to. Then, I’m off for now! Blaze and Frostia are requesting a dungeon run. That was fun though! Let’s play again sometimes!”

 

After saying goodbye, she teleported to another coordinate, leaving me all alone in the vast custom-made arena. We have no range users on our team, hence sparring with her is favorable for my training. Fighting pure ranged opponents is also my greatest weakness therefore it is a bonus.

 

She is good company too and I have no qualms about her being my sparring partner. I must admit, I also had a good time playing with her.

 

I looked at the time, it’s still quite early but I should log out for now. There is something I’ve been putting off for a while. I need to do it right now… or I will never be able to. I have to tell Mother the truth.

 

I logged out of the VR game. Getting out of the VR pod the rowdy noises of other customers greeted me as I returned to reality. A rush of excitement mingled with the hum of electronic devices resounded the building. The air crackled with anticipation, filled with a medley of sounds—the low thrum of cooling fans, the beeping of the VR pods. Neon lights cast a vibrant glow over the space, painting the walls with hues of electric blue, fiery red, and pulsating greens.

 

Around me, gamers huddled in clusters, discussing strategies or debating the merits of various builds and sets. Here, I feel at home, more than in my real one, the people around me share the love for the virtual realms that transcend age, background, or experience. This was the closest VR gaming shop to our school. It gives the best service for its price.

 

Thinking about it, this is where it all started. I always play here after school, unless I have a tutoring session or a campus part-time job after school to get by as my allowance is not nearly enough for the daily necessities of a prestigious school such as ours. Back then, I just wanted to make more money with the offer June made, an offer to help his team fight against a ranker. I did not expect that the players I fought back then would become my teammates and help me achieve my goal faster. To earn a living through gaming.

 

As I headed over to the counter to pay for my time in the VR café, I was greeted by an acquaintance.

 

“Oi Chu, good timing! We have a betting match later, bunch of rich kids who think they’re good! Join us, I promise it’ll be easy money, especially with you around.”

 

“…Not today Rod, I need to go home early.”

 

“What! Come on, you never decline easy wins for free bucks! Don’t tell me you’re too good enough for us because you passed the qualifiers on the big tourney, you lucky bastard,” he jested.

 

I scoffed. “I’ll join you any other day, just not today.”

 

“Well, your loss, we’re just gonna bully some kids who think they’re big shots because they have good sets. Tell me next time you want easy money, and I’ll hook you up, y’hear!”

 

I nodded at him before proceeding to go on my way.

 

After paying for the VR rental, I quickly made my way towards the exit. Upon leaving the building, I spot the sun dipping towards the horizon, hues of crimson, gold, and tangerine streaking across the sky.

 

“It’s already sundown,” I murmured to none in particular.

 

On my walk towards the station, I passed by an ad video in a high-rise building for a tournament I knew quite well. It features clips from the qualifiers from all the different teams who are going to participate in it, Renz and Lizbeth being the only ones featured in our team with Renz using his flashy weapon skill and our captain being hasted and dodging numerous ice attacks from her foes respectively.

 

This honestly is quite odd; I did not expect the corporation behind the game to go all out on advertisements in this tournament. Everywhere I go, I see billboards and the like to hype the tournament and garner more viewers for the event. It is still not comparable to their ads for the AC cup, but strange nonetheless. Almost as if they are expecting an extremely high-profile player to play in the Under Twenty tournament. Last time I checked, pro players were not allowed in the tournament. But I might be overthinking things as the corporation behind the CoA is currently the most successful gaming company and the pioneer of the VR games industry, therefore, it might just be a natural course of action for them to promote the tournament this much.

 

Arriving at the station, I rode the train to my house. It took about 15 minutes for me to arrive at my stop, not without seeing other ads for the tournament we were going to participate in. Exiting the train station and walking for ten or so minutes, I arrived at our suburban house nestled at the end of the street. Its weathered exterior bore the marks of age, paint peeling in patches, revealing the worn wood beneath. The porch, once vibrant, now sagged slightly under the weight of years gone by.

 

A makeshift clothesline stretched from one corner of the house to a crooked pole, bearing laundry that seemed to have weathered countless washes. The yard, though modest, held signs of life—the bicycle that I often used when I was a child leaned against a wall, its tires deflated, awaiting repair and replacement.

 

My heart pounded as I got close to the door to my house.

 

I opened it, preparing for the upcoming confrontation as I entered. I was immediately greeted by my mother sitting on the small sofa of our lounge using her phone.

 

“You’re quite early today, you don’t have anyone to tutor this time?”

 

My heart doubled its beat as I prepared what to say. I cannot hide it anymore, I've been putting it long enough because of my apprehension and fear. I have to let my mother know the truth. She has always been a traditionalist and slow to adapt to changes therefore, I do not know what her reaction will be after this conversation.

 

It’s now or never, Chu. I thought to myself as I tried to muster the courage.

 

“Mother, I have something to tell you."

 

“What is it,” she replied, matching my seriousness.

 

Sensing my solemnity, she put away her phone, ready to hear me out.

 

“Mother I am going to LA,” I stated, my voice quivering.

 

“Why? You know we don't have money for trips,” She queried, confusion evident in her face.

 

“I… I have a gaming tournament to join,” I finally let it out, apprehension palpable in my voice.

 

Her look of shock and disbelief at my words tore through me, making me more anxious about what was to come.

 

“Please listen first, If I win the tournament, we could have the cash prize!” I immediately added.

 

“No, you listen! All that game nonsense is just temporary. Focus on your studies so you can find a stable source of income after graduating or you will regret it one day! I’m telling this for your sake, for you to be happy!”

 

“You don't know what makes me happy! The thrill of fighting strong opponents. The rivals and friends I make through duels. The feeling of getting better at my play style every single day. Those are the things that make me feel glad to be alive!” I exclaimed.

 

“When will you grow up and stop playing those games for kids?! Listen to your mother for once!”

 

“The life you want for me is not what I want, Mother! I… I want to be a professional gamer someday…” I finally let it out.

 

“Tsk! I told you that kind of thing is unreliable! When you get older and are not able to play at your best anymore, where will it take you? Not to mention it would be too hard for you to become one in the first place with all the young kids these days competing for it!”

 

“…Even if it is hard, I still want to try, at least… I will have no regrets even if I fail.”

 

"Tsk! Why won't you just listen, you ungrateful child!? I don't work my ass off every day just for you to play around! Study hard, get a stable job, get a wife, and have a family that is how you can live an honest and happy life!"

 

"That is not the life I want! That is what you want! I have my own wishes and dreams too! Just because you raised me does not mean you have the right dictate every aspect of my life!" I raised my voice for the first time in our argument.

 

*Slap

 

I suddenly heard ringing in my head even before I registered what happened. 

 

"I did not raise you to be this disrespectful," she warned, her voice filled with a stern tone. "Don't you dare raise your voice at me!"

 

I was speechless. Is it too much to ask for a chance to prove myself? To have her support in trying to pursue my dreams?

 

Do I really have no choice but to follow the road set by society for me?

 

…No, I will make my own future.

 

I turned around, walked towards the stairs, and went to my room.

 

“Chu Xiaolong! We are not done yet! Get back here!” she exclaimed.

 

I ignored her and slammed the door shut. Thankfully she did not follow me up the stairs or I do not know what I would have done.

 

I decided that night that I would do everything I could to win the tournament and prove her wrong.

 

Whatever it takes.

 

Like the story so far? Please consider writing a review or rating the novel. It's a good way to support my writing.

 
You can also join my Patreon to support my work and to read advanced chapters and side chapters.

 
Thanks for reading!

 

67