Jarl’s Journal
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My name is Hakon. I am a son of the previous Jarl and currently, I’m the second hand of the current Jarl, Eric. After my father’s death, I couldn’t bring myself to touch anything that belonged to my father and Eric understood my decision. But he did encourage me to do something about it. After a while, I went and did it. 

I entered his room and checked the stuff that was in there. The first things my eyes landed upon were skulls above the entrance. When I turned fourteen my father took me to an island unknown to me. He said I can take part in the hunt as his assistant. Those were the skulls of three boars we got together. 

The next thing I found was a knife with runes on it. “Next Heir” was engraved on it. Once I read it a tears ran down my face. It was a knife that my father Astvar got from his father. Then he gave it to my brother Galarr who was supposed to be the next Jarl… Until he died…

After Galarr's death, we agreed that the knife would remain in my father’s possession while I’d take my brother’s shoulder pad. This time the knife's next owner would be me…

While looking over the stuff and thinking of old times I found something I never expected of my father. Under the clothes, I found a book. It was titled “Words Of A Jarl” and under it was my father's name in small letters “Astvar, Jarl Of Dalir Village”. 

I didn’t know about this book. Or rather a journal. The first chapter was called “Biggest Lost”. I didn’t even have to read anything to know what it was. He began writing it once our mother died. I bearly remember her because she died when I was three years old. In the first few pages, he talks about how beautiful she is. How kind my mother was. What surprised me was that after the words “But she wasn’t always this kind”, he continued for five more pages. He pointed out her flaws but it didn’t sound like something that bad when he explained them in a good way and ended it with “I miss it”.

The next three chapters were about raising me and my brother as a single father and about his early years as a Jarl of Dalir. Then there was a big gap in time because the next chapter was written fifteen years later. After my brother's death…

He wrote it similar to the first chapter. He wrote many memories and then the flaws of my brother. The same way. He missed them. 

The next chapter was called “Heir”. 

“It was an unexpected turn of events. My dear son who was going to be the next Jarl went to Valhalla. My youngest son, Hakon, had to bear the burden of being the next one in line. After the death of his brother. He is not ready… I should’ve taught them both how to be a good leader but I only focused that knowledge on Galarr… Hakon does have the knowledge but he doesn’t know how to handle many things. How to approach certain problems… It is something I should’ve taught him from the beginning…”

He blamed himself… But I should be the one to blame. I didn’t show any interest in becoming a Jarl or even being the one to help my father. I left that role only to Galarr… Once he left I tried to replace him… But it was too late because I ignored that possibility. 

The next chapter was dedicated to a mysterious man later to be known as Eric. My father acted friendly toward him only because he knew he was blessed and he didn’t want to endanger an entire village because of one small mistake. In time his opinion changed. He viewed Eric as a good person, as an allay. 

“At first, I thought that Eric was hiding his true personality. Times and times he proved me wrong and yet I didn’t want to believe it. It was probably because of the god who blessed him. No one would trust Loki and his allies… Eric was different. He was kind and didn’t use his power against people. I understood that once he saved the kids from the wolves. He even decided to hunt them down to prevent things like that from happening…”

He didn’t even tell that to me. I thought he always trusted Eric and viewed him as a companion. He had to be couscous… After all, he had the whole village to look after. 

“Once I pass away I hope that Eric will be of great assistance to my son. If he feels attached to this place he might help. He might be right hand for Hakon.”

[ Hakon ] “I’m sorry father… I’ve disappointed you…”

[ Eric ] “Who said you’ve disappointed him?”

[ Hakon ] “Eric?! How… How long were you standing there?”

[ Eric ] “From the very beginning you entered the room. I knew your father hid something important here and… I was too curious to find out. Before you make any conclusions, read the book till the end.”

[ Hakon ] “Eh… Okay…”

“That is… If he wants to be a Jarl… I won’t be surprised if he doesn’t become a Jarl. He isn’t prepared so he will probably appoint someone else for that position… Like Eric. What I hope is that he will learn how to be a good man and a Jarl from Eric.”

[ Hakon ] “He… He knew that this would happen. It doesn’t sound like he would be disappointed in that kind of situation. All he wants is for me to learn and become a better person.”

[ Eric ] “See. I told you. Your father was a wise man. And if you’re still concerned about your linage… I don’t think you’ll have to wait that long to become a Jarl. For the time being watch and learn. Once your turn comes, you’ll prove your worth.”

[ Hakon ] “What do you mean by that?”

[ Eric ] “I mean what I mean. I’m certain that Loki will give me a quest that will change everything for me.”

[ Hakon ] “How do you know that?”

[ Eric ] “At first I was his toy but right now, it looks like I became something important for him. But I promise that no matter what, I’ll be there to help you.”

[ Hakon ] “Thank you…” Eric wanted to walk away, being satisfied after seeing what I found. “Wait. For the time being… Take this…” I placed the knife in his hands.

[ Eirc ] “I know that knife… It’s something that the future Jarl should have in possession. So keep it and wait for your turn.” Said Eric as he gave the knife back to me and left me alone to think stuff over.

0