Ch. 6 Travelers are easy prey, right?
121 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We have decided to go, where we suspected east to be located. We couldn't have been teleported far, so we would definitely know where we are, based on the towns we will come across. 

Around twenty to thirty minutes later, we have come across an abandoned camp. There were three possibilities. 

One, travelling merchants. The best possibility. They will definitely not attach us, and we can ask them where we are. 

Two, adventurers. Second best option. They might attack us at first, but will most likely be civilised enough, to not do that. 

Three, bandits. They will definitely attack us. If we meet them, we will have to run immediately, since we are not strong enough to defend ourselves from four or more people. 

I discussed it with Demiurge. They agreed on those statements. I will also have to talk with them about their preffered pronouns, as well as their new name, since this one does not fit them as much as before. 

Either way, we went on further east, until it started going dark. I looked at the sky, and just as I expected, the night was starting. 

This moment was the best possible to start a fire. Luckily, my smoking habit was still somewhat there, and I was taking a lighter everywhere. 

So we stopped, and gathered some dry sticks for firewood. I even found two discarded logs. One birch, and the other one was an from an oak tree. And then I realized, we had nothing to start the fire with, other than  the lighter I had. 

"I don't think we can make the fire." I initiated the conversation. 

"Huh? Why do you think that?" 

"We don't have any paper, or anything else that we could start a fire with." I watched as their face made that weird, confused look. 

"But we can use the bark of the birch log, since it will burn well, even if wet."

"What? How do you know something like that? Wood nor bark burn good while wet, it's just common sense." This time I was the one who was confused. 

"Actually, birch bark burns very well while wet, because of some substances in it. I learned it in class. I was going for a PhD in biology." That explains it. But lets test that knowledge in real life. 

So we put together a small campfire, lit it up, and sat around it. 

I don't even remember falling asleep, but when I woke up, Demiurge was already awake, training their 'Blood claws' skill. 

"How long have you been awake?" I ask. 

That startled them, and they turned to me, after which they calmed down. 

"Oh dear gods, miss Astaseul, please don't scare me like that." 

"Right, sorry Demiurge. I have a question though. Are you comfortable with me labelining you as a woman, or do you want me to still call you a man, or even something completely different?" 

They started thinking through what I said, and about a minute later, they answered.     "I suppose that I would be comfortable being labeled as a woman."

"Then there is only one problem regarding your identity. Your name, since I don't think you can go around and call yourself Demiurge, while looking like that."

It looked as if her brain stopped functioning. Her movement stopped suddenly, in the middle of her standing up. She slowly stood up, and crossed her arms. 

She looked... I almost let out a laugh, at the face she was making. In fact, it was even a bit cute. 

"Maybe Pearl? My last name means that, so I could just introduce muself as Pearl."

Her suggestion was quite good, actually. So naturally I agreed. 

Then we took off again. We spent around an hour going east, until we stepped onto a trail. It was going south-east, and we immediately thought the trail to be a sign, that somewhere close was a town, or atleast a village. 

So, we started following it. We spent at least three hours walking, but at least we had each other to talk to.

That is when we heard a loud cracking sound behind us, and after turning around, we saw what was the biggest bear I have ever seen. 

We stood there, frozen in place, until the bear looked our way. 

I saw something above it lighting up. It was akin to writing. It said none other than the words: 'Wolfbear lvl.6'

4