Chapter One : From the Depths of Despair, Ascending into Heaven
394 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Shut up you piece of sh*t! If you didn't do it, then who did? Do you think my friends would steal from me?!" A young man with sharp features and blonde hair spoke with disgust looking at the person wearing a hoodie that hid most of their body staring back with annoyance.

"Why would I want what you had if it would lead to this? I don't know you, nor would I steal from you as there's quite literally nothing you have that I want." The guy in the hoodie's face was thin and his eyes had eyebags under them making him appear worn out.

"That's a lot of pride from someone who quite literally has nothing! Is that why your family disowned you? Because you're a piece of worthle-" For lack of a better description, a brown haired boy with the aura of a lackey spoke with ridicule but didn't even get to finish.

"Do you think I don't dare to beat the sh*t out of you?! I don't care what you say about me, but don't mention them at all!" Before his words finished, a fist collided with the lackey's mouth, then before they could react, a foot kicked the lackey in the stomach and sent him tumbling into the blonde guy with enough force to make them stagger.

"Get him! Get that b*tch!" The blonde guy yelled but the hoodie wearing guy had already turned and ran off. Even if he could surprise attack the first, he rarely if ever had to fight, and the thought getting beaten up didn't make him want to hang around.

Because he was alone for the last few years, the only things he could do was read books, ranging from novels to actual books, and role-play with his friends online to escape this incredibly dreary reality he had found himself in.

"Stay here if you have balls! If you run, you're not a man!" One of the brainless fellows who didn't even get to be called a lackey yelled and was a bit stunned when the guy ran even faster.

"What's so good about having a damn meat rod? Would you like me to kick it for you?!" The guy turned the corner and vanished but the guys kept chasing and turned the corner and then a pained whimper sounded as the guy who spoke about being a man before stiffened and clutched his crotch, tears flowing from his eyes down his cheeks.

"Ahhh!" A pained scream that made the others freeze sounded and a the figure of the kid who did it rushed out while they were too stunned to react.

"Didn't you like being a man?! Then accept my heartfelt praise, if you can be a man after this, you will be the most manly man out there, of course, without the one thing that makes you a man of course." The voice came with amusement and anger which dissuaded the rest because seeing the metal bar lying besides the guy, no one wanted to even risk such an attack because it may be them next!

"Where is he?!" The blonde youth finally caught up with heavy breaths, his expensive clothes wrinkled and his forehead beaded with sweat. When he saw his group stop and heard that yell, he was excited, so much so that he ignored the almost familiar sounding yell.

"He got away." The guy who was next to the fellow who got hit said with relief. If his 'good' friend hadn't drawn that ruthless guys aggro, then it might have been him on the ground clutching his family jewels.

"You had one job! Don't let me see that piece of crap again! Garret, what's wrong with you?" The blonde youth frowned because the guy on the ground was shivering as if he were cold.

"Garret?!" Another guy crouched and went to help him, but Garret didn't react at all and kept his forehead pressed against the ground, the ungodly pain kept rushing like an endless ocean that kept him from thinking straight.

"He hit him hard! Do we call the police?" The guy who crouched looked at Garret with pity and then looked at the blonde guy who frowned with a dark expression.

"Send him to the hospital. If I see that damned garbage again, he'll regret it!" Gnashing his teeth, he gave the empty sidewalk a menacing look and then turned and headed back.

"But he stole that watch from you bos-" Before the guy could finish, two other guys ran over with excited expressions and held out a silver watch to the blonde guy.

"Terry! We found it in the bar under a napkin! It wasn't lost dude." Not seeing the gloomy expression, the guy placed the watch in Terry's hand and then patted his chest with a satisfied smile.

"F*ck!" Terry cursed because now his number one follower had been beaten, and it turned out to be for no reason! Seeing his angry look, the guy who brought the watch shrunk his neck like a turtle and joined the crowd and hoped to avoid being blamed.

...

"Damn it! Why is my luck so bad? Was I the damned god of misfortune in my previous life?! I just went to experience the atmosphere and ended up running for my life!" He tried to regulate his breathing, but because he didn't exercise regularly nor did he often run, his body although thin was severely lacking in endurance.

"Haa. If it wasn't for that damned comment, then it would still be acceptable. Damn, if they want me to pay, even selling myself wouldn't cover the medical bill!" Even after running down multiple streets, it wasn't far from his apartment, a shabby two story building that looked as if it had been new five decades ago.

When he got inside and upstairs to his apartment, the first thing he did was find himself a bottle of water. Although sipping it would be best, he was too thirsty and directly gulped down half of the bottle in a few seconds.

"What a good life I've led. Being abandoned wasn't enough, I was even put into the wrong body to boot!" Looking at his rough forearms after taking his hoodie off, he frowned unhappily.

"They say God has a plan, but what exactly is it for me? Forget living, I am not happy at all. God, if you exist, I despise you greatly. You know everything, so why play this cruel joke on me?"

"Do you know how I want to live? No, you must know, you are God, almighty and all-powerful. I want to be beautiful and do things this sack of unpleasantness cannot! Do you know how I've longed for some miracle and received none?!"

"Now I'm in even deeper sh*t than before and I happiness may as well be as distant as the moon now. I have nothing, no family, no friends, nothing. You created humanity and knew every one our outcomes immediately, so why do this to us?"

"Is it a cruel joke? The only place I can be someone I even want to be is online! We have free will they say, but where is it when it counts? I can't change this body anymore than I can fly and cast magic!"

"Come out God! Isn't this very interesting for you? You created us but leave us to our fates with the carrot and the stick. Heaven and Hell. Well, f*ck heaven because if the world is like this, why would heaven be any better?"

His eyes turned blurry and he slumped to his knees with a heart filled with bitterness in his chest. Some might say the body doesn't define you, but that would be as true as saying the sky was green.

Even if you wanted to be something else, if you see something daily, you will lose yourself in the normalcy of it until you have no other option but to accept reality.

His laptop chimed, an old one that had to constantly be plugged in or it'd die in a few minutes. His apartment was rather tidy, not because he paid attention to it, but because he simply lacked things to fill it with.

"What could it be? Could I have won the lottery?" He tapped the mouse and saw an email advertisement with a string of symbols that looked as if they were drawn by hand was on the screen.

"Since you are dissatisfied, I will give you a chance to obtain desire most." He read read the words aloud and then frowned. Dissatisfied? What about? Did he order something and leave a one star review afterwards?

"If you wish to change who you are, press yes? If you wish to remain, select no?" He spoke with incredulity because he couldn't even guess what it meant, the only thing he wanted to change was...

"So you want me to believe I'm talking to God?!" He spat out while looking at the email but received no answer. Forget this being a prank, he didn't even think a hacker would bother with his insignificant self.

"Then fine. You should be God right?! Then grant my wish. It's the least you could do after all my troubles." He clicked yes and the screen flashed and then the email vanished as if it wasn't there previously.

Five minutes passed and nothing happened, so he just smiled in a mixture of anger and disappointment and went to close the screen when a small red spot appeared in his vision.

No matter where he looked, it was always there, moving with his gaze. When he waved a hand, the red spot seemed to phase through his hand, then the spot started to squirm and expand slowly.

"This can't be normal! I know it is filled with the uncertainty of the unknowns, but if this is able to give me what I want, then I'll accept it without complaint." When his voice ended, the spot rippled, and then from the edges of his vision, darkness expanded until all he could see was that red light.

Just when the darkness was about to overcome the red light, the red light flashed, and the darkness was expelled, and then all sensations he felt before simply ceased for a moment as if he were floating in zero gravity, then he felt himself lying down on something.

The red light vanished and he could finally see the surroundings. I stead of his shabby apartment with almost no interior, he was in a small building with several rows of benches laying on an altar.

"You sent me to church?!"  Even before he stopped speaking, his eyes lit up and he felt a tempest of emotions, some relief mixing into joy and happiness because the voice he heard wasn't the one he had heard daily for seventeen years, it was one that was sweeter and more delicate than one he could even dream of.

9