Chapter 2: Choose Your Side
23 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Yeah, it won't work that way. Well, I will give you a train tour as a show of gratitude!" These are words echoing inside the mind of young Maximillian for the last five minutes. Max is acting cool (or trying to) as if this opportunity is not a big deal, but deep inside, he is screaming in excitement.

 

Of course, it was he who decided to stay in his cabin and read his book, but even that choice was a product of constant pressure created by his past. But no! He wasn't at his family's house, and there weren't people constantly watching him. He chose to attend to DragonScale for this exact reason, a taste of freedom.

 

Of course, that taste of freedom had its prices too. First of all, leaving the family house was a great huss. Neither his mother nor father looked good at sending their child into the wild for various reasons. But in the end, they decided to let the little sparrow fly from the nest. 

 

And now that little sparrow was walking behind a potential friend, following her through the masterfully decorated corridors of the fabled train that was taking them to his new home.

 

"So, I've been using this very same train, except for that one time, for the last ten years. I know the best ways to socialize and have a good time. That's experience talking here. I am also good at finding trouble too. I wandered to the other side of the train for some reason, and I stumbled upon the man scribbling weird runes on the train floor. Wasn't a pleasurable experience." Violet was trying to make small talk since Max wasn't talking much.

 

Max thought about the encounter for a second and smiled. "It isn't hard to believe, but that man was strong. Maybe a bit of airhead, but definitely strong. Also, he managed to fool the crowd." Max looked at the pocket he put his wand in and thought. "Getting hit by a lightning strike that close means vital injury, and even death in some cases." Well, things happened, and a Warden was in action. She jumped in, took down the bad guys, and disappeared without fuss. Despite the little show, passengers only traded some worrying words and complaints with each other, nothing more. After all, the authority of a Warden was unchallengeable. If they said there isn't anything to worry about, then there isn't, simple as that.

 

"Oh, you see, it is just the start of the year. I am an expert at finding all sorts of trouble, but I can proudly say that I learned many ways to escape them." She stopped for a second. "So, about you. My parents and their lineages are known for their medicinal research and healing arts. That is also what I chose as my main branch of study, healing magic, biology, and chemistries*. What about you? What plans do you have in DragonScale? I mean, what you want to be."

 

Max and his brain stopped at the same time. He paused for several seconds. "I didn't." Then he waited a bit more before the rest of his answer. "The only thing on my mind was a taste of freedom. I suppose I want to have a fun school life. I can choose whatever life puts in front of me."

 

"Really? Well, that's better than nothing, I suppose. But is there anything in your head?" Violet was curious about the boy. "Let's say, do you ever want to become a Warden? Maybe a high-ranking officer. You seem to have a talent for magic."

 

Maximillian pulled out his wand and inspected it thoroughly. "I had good teachers and an inhumanly strict work program. I am decent at casting magic, but I don't know."

 

"Decent!" Violet wanted to scream but held herself. "Yes, he might not be at the top of the shelf, but that wasn't something decent, way over that." She kept these thoughts to herself as well. She gave up. "Well, let's keep walking. I want you to meet with other students." Violet started walking head down.

 

"Sounds good." Max began following her, not knowing the reason for the sudden change of mood in the girl.

 

The duo kept walking and didn't talk much except for short exchanges until they encountered another student. 

 

A male student with brown hair is only a bit taller than Violet, and both share a similar energetic aura. He has a somewhat sinister smile and curious eyes locked on Max.

 

Violet tried to turn away the second she saw the boy, but the brown-haired young man rushed next to them without letting them go away. "What's the matter, Vivi? Not happy to see me?"

 

"Oh, there isn't anything. I just thought I saw a headache, so I was on my way to go back and ask for a painkiller."

 

"Really? But can you see headaches? Aren't that a symptom and not a being?"

 

"I see one just in front of me, and will you stop calling me Vivi? It is annoying."

 

"I know." The boy moved closer to Violet. "But, didn't you promise that if we won last year's tournament, you would allow me to call you what I want?"

 

Violet gave a bitter smile. "I think you are flexing the contract too much."

 

"Not too much, and about contracts. This new friend hasn't joined any classes, right?" He moved away from Violet and closer to Max. "Names Zack and yours?" He offered his hand.

 

Max grabbed the boy's hand. "Max Clawsky, nice to meet you. I suppose you and Violet know each other." 

 

"Glad to meet you too, and yes, I know her. We met ten years ago. But you are new, aren't you? I never see you before. It is rare for students to transfer into DragonScale, so excuse my curiosity if I ask too many questions." Boy was quite energetic, much similar to Violet.

 

"Yes, I transferred to DragonScale just this year. Before that, I got homeschooled till this year, but I got tired of it and decided to try something new." Max just let his words out. The aura around this kid felt friendly enough for him to talk comfortably.

 

"Very well. Then I suppose you haven't chosen a class yet." The boy got even closer.

 

"Classes?" Max asked with curiosity. He knew that DragonScale was a good school, but he didn't know much about the school's inner mechanisms. He begged his parents to enroll in a school, then he suddenly entered two exams, then got a box with school books and clothes and a letter saying he passed the exam.

 

"Oh, didn't you tell the most important thing about our school to this friend here, Vivi?" Zack moved away from Max and closer to Violet and whispered this to her. "I saw it too, and I am not letting you get it."

 

"You!" Violet suddenly shouted. "Well!" She turned towards Max, who got spooked a bit thanks to the girl's sudden anger. "I will give you a quick explanation. When you enter our school, they give you five choices, five different classes. You choose one and move with it through your school life, also-"

 

Zack cut Violets words, and jumped in. "Also, it matters the most as there is always competition between classes. You don't want to get left behind. It is just a humble offer, but you may try our class. We are good on theoretical subjects and have a strong team of practical magic users!" He then looked at Violet. "But of course, Vivi most likely wants to invite you too. Could that be why she is excited around you? Perhaps she made a (forced) promise to take you for a tour around the train."

 

Violet stopped for a second, opened her mouth as if she was going to talk, but then stopped. She backed away in rightful defeat.

 

"Is there something wrong?" Max asked, then started thinking. "It is clear as a day. Even the deaf could hear your whispers. I have no intentions of letting go of this new school life I got into my hands through blood, sweat, and an immense amount of luck into your silly games. But playing along can be fun too."

 

"No, there isn't anything wrong. Just this annoying brat." She glared at Zack.

 

"Oh, if it's about choosing your class." Max gave a sinister smile. "I want to go with the runner-up rather than the winner. Wouldn't be more exciting this way."

 

Violet's eyes began sparkling while Zack's jaw dropped in confusion. "What!" He shouted. "Your class is your everything here! Your status symbol! Why do you want to be with those losers who lost every game against us in all years? Heck! Our class is not the only winner for our year!"

 

"And isn't this fun because of that? If I have a class that can win each and every time, where is the challenge?" Max took a step forward.

 

"Duh? You don't want a challenge. You want prestige! What are you going to do after your graduation? Of course, DragonScale in name has prestige, but there is prestige, and there is Prestige." Zack was losing his temper.

 

"Isn't your vocabulary a bit small for someone who talks a lot? I think you repeated prestige like four times." Max chuckled. "And about all that prestige talk, what is the reason you believe I want it." 

 

"You know, I acted too kind." Zack began showing his true colors. "Now I show you why you would want prestige!" And he took out a long black wand from his pocket, with red veins scattered all over it, and these veins were glowing as if they were burning embers. "Come one! Grab yours!"

 

Max reached out to his pocket and pulled his wand. Zack laughed at the tool's simplicity, but Max didn't care about it. He pointed his staff down and glared right into Zack's eyes. "Only an immature person will challenge another to a duel inside a vehicle. Even a small magic might cause damage to the surroundings. I will not be afraid of using magic for self-defense, but I won't do the first shot. I will advise you the same."

 

"You talk too much." Zack aimed his wand right into his foe's chest. "Burn! Ignis!" After a short delay, a spark appeared at the tip of the furious boy's tool and launched a beam of flame toward Max.

 

Max easily evaded the incoming attack by taking a step to the side. "I assure you my strike back will not be pathetic as your little street trick, so I'll assume you did this by mistake, and I'll let you go."

 

"Come on! We are just starting. Ignis!" Zack shot another fire beam.

 

Max stood still and blocked the incoming magical projectile with his wand but let the after-shock do minimal damage to himself. "You satisfied now?"

 

Zack spat to the ground. "Huh, what a loser." The boy turned his back and left the carriage.

 

Violet, who watched the battle quite fondly, began turning around Max. She kept turning and inspecting the new student until he stopped her.

 

"Just tell me what you want to ask."

 

"Nothing. I suppose you are much more mature than I expected you to be, not that I thought you weren't mature enough, but just much over my expectations. You held yourself well against Zack's magic, then caused him to back away without casting a single spell." She began clapping. "Bravo, let's meet with the class now, as you are practically one of us after this encounter."

 

Max puffed out his chest. "Well, let's not wait anymore."

Notes:

 

*There are two chemistries in this world, magical and regular. Regular is the one we use today, while magical chemistry is the one that is tied to the supernatural and can bend the rules of nature.

2