06. Confession and moving out
1.2k 5 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a long period of deliberation, I decided it was best to move on from the cave. Not only did I receive that overpowered "unstoppable" skill and get some decent attack skills, but we have managed to clear away the rocks from the entrance and made sure the rails were in good enough condition to move. Not to mention, I could tell that staying in this cave was really taking a toll on Anya. She was looking better than when she was starving and freezing to death in the snow, but I can tell she needs to talk to more people than just me. I probably don't count for much anyways since she probably thinks I don't even trust her enough to show her what I look like. That will be changing soon, right before we leave the cave. I also finally took a look at the long-neglected store page, having ignored it so I am not tempted to buy too much without saving up for something good. By now, I had gotten a total of 330 points and found a few good choices within my price range.

  1. Create Rations: Create 3 rations of bread, Jerky, and 0.5L of water per party-member per day. (100 Points)
  2. Strengthened Cow Catcher: Strengthens the cow catcher in front of you by 3 times, allowing the breaking of stronger obstacles in your path. (150 points)
  3. Stun: By making a loud sound, stun enemies for up to five seconds depending on volume. Small chance of scaring enemies away. (200 points)

After taking a look at all my different options, I decided on "Create Rations" and "Stun" since I can afford both and they will be quite useful for me. I used the remaining 30 points to bring my fuel from 32% to 62%. Now all that's left is to let Anya know it's time to leave and tell her the truth about me. 

"Hey Anya, you mind coming over here for a bit? I have something to tell you."

"Sure, what is it?" She looks tired, but curious.

"Have you ever wondered why I can't leave or why you have never seen me eat or drink?"

"...Not really, I thought maybe you just eat magic or something. I figured you'll tell me when you trust me enough."

"Ah, well I'm sorry you think I didn't trust you. I just don't want you to be scared or weirded out, since I doubt I am what one considers normal. The truth is, I am the big metal object you see in front of you, and I am called a 'steam train.'"

She looked at me, eyes wide open and mouth ajar.

"You're one of the ancient steel beasts?! Mother said she and father used to be adventurers and were always looking for an intact one. She said they are huge metal machines made by the ancient civilization that breathed steam like living beings and could move mountains!" Her eyes kept getting wider as she spoke, obviously excited.

"That sounds about right, yes. I don't recall us being called 'steel beasts' but that descriptions fits best with my kind. I am not sure if others have a soul like me or not and don't even really remember anything before a couple months ago, though. Sorry if that disappoints you, but once we get out of here, we can explore the world like your mom and dad did if you want to. We can even help people along the way, making sure others don't suffer like you did."

I could see her determination solidify and could even see a want for adventure in her eyes. I will have to find a way to hide her eyes from others though since I don't know how widespread the discrimination is for that. It's unfair to her and I don't like it, but I have a plan to change that so she can show her eyes to the world.

"I'm not disappointed at all! I'm just glad you actually trust me. I can't wait to go help people and change their minds about me. I'll show them I'm not evil and punish all the slavers in the world!" There was a child-like excitement in her eyes, a sight I want to see from now on and one I hope never leaves her.

“Alright, well hop on up and let’s get ready to go. Anywhere you want to go in particular?”

“I…would rather not go back to the village right now. Can we take the route further into the mountains?”

“Of course we can, if that’s what you want.”

*Hiss*

As we were talking, I started up the fire in the firebox and the steam was just starting to build up. After about 6 hours, it was finally time to move. I sent the steam down to the pistons and the drivers started moving for the first time in over a millennia. I telepathically told Anya to cover her ears as we started moving out of the cave in preparation for the inevitable.

https://youtu.be/E0vAAhsHVZs

The whistle blared loudly, loud enough to shatter eardrums if one got too close without ear protection. As we moved along, I made sure the railroad switch up ahead was pushed into the right spot so we would go into the mountain range as planned.

Finally, the king of the rails has returned!

A/N: sorry for posting the chapter a few hours later than normal and it being short. I have had a lot of issues going on in my life and have been horribly sick. You can expect more chapters and longer ones in the coming weeks. Thank you for the support.

(Also, turns out this chapter didnt publish when it should have last night so hopefully it goes through this time.)

42