Chapter 41 – Catgirl is being protected
570 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The reason Nightingale was able to break free from prison so easily and without detection was due to Carmian's involvement. They were working together all along. 

"What do you want from me, nya?" you shout, anger boiling inside of you. You already know that you're the target, but you can't understand why. You just came to this word a couple weeks ago, you haven’t done anything, and yet, they are wanting you to die! 

"Hah," Carmian sneers, brandishing his swords and taunting you with a cruel remark. "Dead cat don't ask questions!" Before you can even react, he charges towards you with lightning speed, his body transforming into a black cloud as he lunges forward. 

Exhausted from your previous battle, you are unable to move and struggle to gather enough mana to cast a defensive spell. As Carmian's swords close in on you, you realize that you are helpless to defend yourself.

Just as you think all is lost, a loud clang echoes through the air as Carmian's sword is blocked by Nightingale's sword. Nightingale then retaliates with a swift slash, causing Carmian to stumble back in surprise as he clutches at the wound on his arm, blood dripping down.

“You!” Carmian exclaims in disbelief, his face contorted with anger and shock. “You dare to defy me?” 

"I won't let you harm her." Nightingale declares, standing firm to protect you from Carmian's attack.

You can hardly believe what you are seeing. Just moments ago, this girl was trying to kill you, but now, she is shielding you from harm.

“Move aside!” Carmian raises his hand towards Nightingale, commanding her to move. But Nightingale stubbornly shakes her head, refusing to budge.

"I said, move aside!" the knight bellows in anger, his eyes wide with rage as a ring on his finger glows brightly.

Suddenly, Nightingale collapses in pain, writhing on the ground. But she quickly stands back up, her face covered in sweat and her body shaking. The ring is still glowing. Carmian gives another order, but Nightingale remains still.

What’s with that ring? You wonder. It becomes clear to you that Carmian has the power to control Nightingale as he wills. Based on what you just saw, the ring must have something to do with this.

"Nightingale, are you alright?" you ask, concerned for her wellbeing.

"I'm fine," she replies, "Don't worry, I won't let him hurt you, even if I die again." 

Just like how you are willing to sacrifice your life for her, the girl is determined to protect you even if it means sacrificing her own life.

But Carmian sneers at Nightingale's determination, clicking his tongue in annoyance. "Fine, then I will strike you down too," he declares, raising his swords to attack again.He then turns into that black cloud of smoke one more time, closing in.

Nightingale also dashes forward, determined to defeat her opponent head on. The two then clash in a flurry of blows, their weapons clashing and sparks flying. They are both extremely fast, their movements are blurs to the naked eyes. Without the sub-zero domain slowing things down, It's almost impossible to follow their movements.

And also, something feels very off.

“Nightingale, why don’t you use your magic nya?” you shout and ask. 

DeathWhizkersz magics are Nightingale strongest abilities, why isn’t she using them!? The only magic she used so far was the one to make her ice sword!

“I can’t!” the girl yells back. “They are blocked!”

"Ha!" Carmian laughs maniacally, launching a flurry of attacks that forces Nightingale onto the defensive. "I'm your worst match-up! Nightingale, you can't win against me!"

Hearing that, you can’t help but worry. Her magic is blocked? Oh no, you instantly realize how bad this is, as your mind flashes back to a conversation you had with Cleo.


"Felicia, your magic usage is extraordinary, but you should practice your sword skills as well," Cleo said to you during a lunch break after a particularly intense training session.

"Yes, I will nya" you nodded, agreeing with her. While you were naturally gifted with magic, your sword skills were still fairly amateurish.

"You know," Cleo continued, "one of the other S-ranked knights in Merton actually has a skill that can block one connection to the constellations in the form of a curse. Without the blessings from the gods, you won't be able to use any of your ice abilities."

"What? That's cheating nya!" you exclaim.

"Haha, how's that cheating?" Cleo laughed. "Look at yourself! The DeathWhizkersz literally have the best bloodline skill out of anything! Awakening? How is that fair?"

"But it's useless against someone who can block constellation skills nya!"

"Hmmm," Cleo then thought for a moment. "True, out of any opponent for you, that one might be the toughest."

And it was very easy to understand why. Without the help of your magic, which enhanced your abilities and made up for your lack of technical skill, you wouldn't stand a chance against even a C-ranked person, let alone A rank or S rank.

“Then, if that’s the case and my skills get blocked, what should I do, nya?” you asked for instruction.

“Unfortunately, there’s nothing you can do about it.” Cleo answers. “You just have to rely on your other skills, or work with your allies to take them down.”


Spoiler

[collapse]
17