Chapter 4
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The first thing we must do,” Samuel said, turning to include them all in his thought process, “Is to send out envoys everywhere we can.”

“But who do we send?” Elena Ciayol, the Queen of Tyrman said. Eric somehow had failed to realize that she’d been in that meeting but wasn’t surprised to notice her. She was the Queen, after all.

“Our best,” Samuel said at once. “It’s the only way, considering the scope of the danger.”

“But what about Milagre?” The Queen countered at once. “I can’t send her best defenders away if there’s the risk of attack.”

That gave Samuel pause. He turned away from the icy gaze of the queen to look questioningly at Grimr. They didn’t have to hear the question asked aloud. Slowly, Grimr shook his head.

“It is not possible,” he said. “They have the body, yes. But the mind and spirit are different things altogether. They have to be collected.”

“He had his spirit with him when he died, though,” Samuel said. “That’s one less thing they have to collect. And if I’m not mistaken, his mind will not be hard to find.”

“But it has the best protection,” Grimr retorted at once. “Unless you think they can defeat you in combat.”

Watching Samuel’s face closely, Eric saw the tiniest flash of an emotion cross it. Was that worry? Doubt? He couldn’t think of anyone that could defeat Samuel. There wasn’t even an event in history that mentioned someone getting remotely close. Samuel was an Ancient. One of the most powerful in existence. He couldn’t be defeated, surely.

“I’m not sure,” Samuel said. It was a more frightening answer than confirming or denying it. “Menikos’ purpose was to be the ultimate combatant against Chaos. That means that he can negate its effects, and that includes all magic. I am nothing without my magic.”

While that was a valid point, Eric still didn’t want to hear it. Feeling like someone should inject a little hope into the situation, he spoke up. “What about you, Lord Longfang?”

“I’ve already said,” Grimr growled. He was clearly furious at the situation. “I cannot act. It is not a sufficient threat to the balance. If I intervened now, I would be breaking my own code.”

Just how bad did it have to get before he could involve himself? The question was large in Eric’s mind, but he didn’t dare ask it. He turned to Samuel. “What do you mean by sending envoys?”

Samuel nodded his gratitude that someone had offered him a chance to get back on track. “Right. We need to establish contact with each of the world's major power centers. We need to alert every powerful force, and above all, we need to investigate.”

“Okay,” Elena Ciayol said. Like Eric, she seemed keen to get the conversation back on track. “But we’re not sending our very best away. Pick carefully, but leave us a defensible force. If you should fall, we’ll be in a lot of trouble.”

Samuel bit his lip as he thought through the problem. He was obviously in turmoil but decided to go along with the Queen’s suggestion. “Very well. We’ll send the Sky Fiends to Naturas. They can cover that distance quickly, and they’ll be more quickly accepted by the wild mages. Issho-Ni can scour Nihon-Ja. They know the country well and can verify that it didn’t come from there.”

They nodded in quick succession, recognizing them all as good ideas. Samuel continued. “I will scour New Tyrman myself. There are many people unknown to the world on that continent, so it bears the highest risk. Markus can attempt to communicate with Attos to request his support, but we shouldn’t expect much there just yet. Eric, you’ll go to Welsik and talk to the Welsik Clan about what they might know.”

Though he’d half expected his name to be brought up at some point, he still felt his heart skip a beat as it was dropped. Samuel had mentioned it so quickly, so casually. “M-me? I’m far from the best. Surely there’s someone more effective.”

Samuel shook his head resolutely. “You’re more capable than you think, Eric. But it will be the least dangerous of the options, and you won’t be going alone. You’ll be taking Megan with you. I suppose you should also take anyone else that you can. But focus on speed. Too large a part, and you’ll be slowed down.”

To his surprise, Eric already had the two other people he’d prefer in mind. It was as if he’d been ready to pick them from the start and had only waited for a reason. Still, he demurred. “I’m happy to do it. But what about my wife and daughter? Emily has come down with something. I wouldn’t feel right abandoning-”

“I will personally examine Emily to find out what is wrong with her,” Samuel said. His voice was loud, and it cracked with more authority than before.  He seemed to regret raising his voice at once. “I apologize. But this is important. Rest assured, Eric. I will make sure your family is safe.”

There were many reasons that Eric might refuse the request. Technically, he was an Ancient. That meant that he didn’t have to obey the commands of anyone. He also had done a great service for Ahya already, stopping Attos from toppling Tyrman and destabilizing the world's power balance. Was he really required for more? But there was only one reason that he had to support and accept the order. And it was the reason that he couldn’t possibly refuse. He had to do his part because he had come to love Ahya. Slowly, he nodded.

“I’ll do it.”

Samuel’s gratitude was obvious. “Thank you. I’ve notified Megan, and she will meet you at Raven’s Hall.”

There were a few seconds of awkward silence as Eric and Samuel stared at each other, pausing the entire conversation. Then Eric realized that was all he would learn of the mission, and he needed to get going. Offering a hurried bow to the queen, he spun on his heel and broke into a heavy jog for the door to the throne room. Already, he was running through a list of supplies that would be needed. Luckily, he would not have to visit the market. They had all that was needed at Raven’s Hall, the base for his mercenary unit.

 

-

 

It took him just under an hour to reach Raven’s Hall when traveling by foot, even at a brisk jog, because the roads were packed today. Tomorrow was Market Day, so while the sun was up, goods were being transported into the city for sale tomorrow. It was strange, he thought, to see a city so at peace. But they didn’t know about the serious danger that was at risk of being released upon the world. The average citizen might know of Ancients as a vague sort of legend, but the idea of one being risen again and turned against them was unthinkable.

Megan was standing outside the door to Raven’s Hall when he arrived. She was standing face to face with Jerik, who stood blocking the door with his arms crossed. Megan appeared to be in the middle of a heated discussion with him, perhaps trying to explain that she knew Eric and was here to meet him, but Jerik was unimpressed by her argument. Michael was standing at Megan’s side, his arms also crossed, but not taking part in the conversation.

“Megan!” Eric called once he was within a few dozen yards of the building. “Jerik, get out of her way! She’s a friend!”

Jerik looked surprised at that and turned to take in his appearance. He was sweaty and winded after running across the city from the palace. Making a snap decision, he decided not to try and ask any questions just yet. He knew this kind of hurry. Questions would only delay what had to be done.

“Of course,” he said. He stood aside and held the door open for the three of them, then followed inside like a shadow. “So what’s going on, boss?”

“I can’t tell you everything,” Eric told him. “I can tell you that we’re leaving for Welsik at once. Grab only the basics, and be back down here in fifteen minutes. Find Max, and tell him the same.”

“Am I not to be included?” Johan had appeared through one of the side doors leading deeper into the hall. He raised an eyebrow at the disheveled appearance of his leader. “Exciting day, I take it?”

“We’re going to Welsik,” Eric said. “You stay here with your family and keep the business running. You’re in charge, as usual.”

Johan was experienced in this business and knew his leader well. He’d been involved in that dramatic plot to defend Milagre nearly five years ago, and so he had no reason to suspect that he was involved in anything nefarious. Perhaps it was another mysterious mission. However, he knew better than to ask and merely nodded his understanding.

“I’ll hold the fort,” he said. “I’ll check in on Emma and the baby regularly too.”

Eric was grateful for the offer but didn’t say it. It would have been a waste of words. Michael cleared his throat and stepped forward, making his appearance more obvious. “I’m coming with you, too. If Megan’s going, so am I.”

Eric’s eyes met Megan’s, and the woman nodded discreetly. Eric waved a hand. “Fine. But we’re going to be moving quickly.”

The spellblade gave him a wide grin. “I don’t think I have to explain why speed won’t be an issue for me.”

Which was perfectly true, Eric thought. Michael was incredibly fast. The only people quicker than him were certain Masters of Issho-Ni. That thought prompted another, and he hurried to a nearby table, snatching up a loose piece of parchment and a quill. He scribbled a quick note to Master Ehran, explaining what he was doing and where he was off to. Then he ducked outside the main door, flagged down a courier he saw passing, and passed the note to him.

“Make it quick,” he suggested, offering the man a gold coin as an incentive. The courier’s eyes widened at the money, and he nodded, clutching the paper and the payment tightly. At once, he broke into a run, heading for the compound of Issho-Ni. That should leave about ten minutes for him to make his own preparations, he thought.

“I’ll assume you two are ready to leave already,” he said. “I’m going to grab my things. Megan, can you let Emma know what’s going on?”

She nodded her assent, and he left the matter to her, bolting through a side door to his personal office. He moved in a frenzy, not caring that he was disturbing the careful organization of the things that Emma had contrived to create. He snatched up a traveling cloak to combat the early spring chills, a more solid pair of boots that were more durable than the pair he wore for city life and heaved his travel pack, always packed and ready, over his shoulder. That was all he had to do. The armor he wore would be inside the pack, and he could don it on the road.

Megan was just finishing a scrying spell when he returned to the lobby. Jerik and Max appeared at virtually the same instant, bearing a pack each on their shoulders. Eric wasted no time and chivied the others to the door. “Let’s get a move on, then.”

They funneled out the door at once, blinking under the bright light of the midday sun, and turned sharply towards the northern gate.

Advanced Chapters and more awesome perks available on my Patreon!

Join my Discord for cool people and a fun atmosphere!

0