Chapter 13
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The more Eric saw of the city after that first explosion, the worse the outcome seemed to appear. Everywhere he looked, he saw bleak expressions of surviving citizens and scattered groups of warriors with grave injuries. Even more ominously, there were more dead than injured. It was destruction and death on a scale Eric had never seen before, even after that battle against Attos as they’d attempted to take the capital city.

The one ray of hope that kept him going was that much of the command structure of the city, save for Samuel, had survived and defeated nearly any attempt on their lives by the possessed townsfolk. Eric had reunited with Ehran just half an hour after their quick and decisive battle outside the palace. His heart had lept at the sight of the man issuing quick orders. He’d gathered a force of almost two hundred to his side, and they were holding the south gate in force, preventing possessed citizens from preventing the escape of those who were free.

“Eric!” The Grandmaster of Issho-Ni’s face paled by a few degrees as he recognized the face of his former and only apprentice and ran forward to greet him. “You took longer than expected getting back! Did you have some trouble finding the Kabe Warriors?”

“No trouble on that,” Eric assured him. “I found them easily enough and brought them south. But we witnessed an attack on the way and had to lend a hand. I sent the survivors out to tell everyone to evacuate at once, then reinforce one of the gates.”

Ehran nodded his approval of the choice, embracing Eric quickly. “Good thinking. We’ve had four groups attack us already. They keep trying to get at the gates. I think they’re trying to escape out of the city, but we haven’t let them.”

“Why would they take the city only to try and leave?”

Ehran’s face expressed his uncertainty, and he shook his head slowly. “I can’t think of a reason. If they’d come from outside, I could see them retreating after a failed attack. But no enemies passed through the gates, and they’re… they’re not losing.”

“They’re not losing?” Eric repeated, shocked by the words. “You mean they’re winning?”

Ehran looked as though he didn’t want to say it, but he eventually nodded, a pained look on his face. “The direct attack on the palace all but confirmed it. The Queen died in that attack, as did most of the leaders of the Royal Guard and Maravino.”

Eric felt his stomach drop a few inches at the horrible news. “So the Royal Guard is without leadership. That also means the town guards are leaderless as well, doesn’t it?”

The members of the two forces, who made up the bulk of the defensive force watching the gate, shifted nervously and talked amongst themselves. Only then did the first part of Ehran’s report register with him. He looked back at his mentor. “The Queen is dead?”

Ehran nodded, but before he could reply, a call from within the ranks of men behind them made them both whirl around, weapons raised. “Approach!”

A lone figure was running down the main road, clad in dark blue robes. At first, seeing the pale face and the long black hair, Eric thought that it was Samuel, and his heart sang with relief. He was alive! He’d simply left a body behind to trick the attackers, and now he was here to retaliate and save them all! But, as the stranger drew closer, he felt his heart sink again. It was an archmage, he noticed, but it wasn’t Samuel.

“You will leave the city!” The archmage shouted. There was no mistake that he was addressing the grim-faced defenders at the gate. “We have won this decisive battle, and so you will leave! This is no longer your home!”

“To hell with that,” one of the soldiers yelled, to the agreement of his friends. “You fiends will be crushed and sent running from Milagre! You will not take our home!”

A chorus of agreement rang out from the force of men, and weapons were brandished high. To his surprise, Eric saw that Ehran looked slightly worried. His mentor stepped forward now, his voice lowering just enough that only the archmage and his former student could hear him. His voice, when he spoke, was filled with shock, yes, but also venom. Venom so potent that Eric took an involuntary half-step to the side as he heard it.

“Thunderborn,” Ehran growled. “Are you linked to this treason? You helped these attackers into Milagre?”

“It was not I,” Archmage Thunderborn said, a slight smirk forming on his face. “It was at the behest of my partner, but I cannot say that I disagreed. He has very… grand plans for this city and for Ahya as a whole. I was more than happy to lend him my aid.”

“You’re partner?” Ehran questioned, his eyes narrowing in suspicion. “Who orchestrated this? Was it one of the nobles?”

“No,” Ehran guessed. A random, very discomforting idea had just occurred to him. Something that had been in the back of his mind until this very moment. “He has an Infernal inside him, Ehran.”

Archmage Thunderborn’s smirk grew into a grin. It was a feral expression, completely devoid of good humor. If anything, it made him seem… hungry. “Very sharp, Outsider. Umbric was right about you strangers from Earth. You’re very perceptive.”

Somehow, the realization that Archmage Thunderborn not only knew about Earth but that he also knew that Eric was from there didn’t shock him nearly as much as the name that he’d mentioned had. Umbric. Of course, he remembered the name of the necromancer that had stolen Menikos’ corpse and banished him to a different country. And they were connected. Instantly, his mind realized the truth.

“You were the one who divulged the secret of Menikos’ location,” he guessed. “Infernals are all about deals. Did you ask that he destroy the palace in return for that secret?”

“No, that was someone else’s idea,” Thunderborn replied. “My partner and I just wanted the Champion of the Mind gone. But you are correct. I happened to overhear that God of Nature speaking to Samuel, telling him about going to check up on their old friend. It was very valuable information, and I shared it with my friend. He was the one that found Umbric and made the deal.”

“You’re the one who killed Samuel?” Eric asked, askance. He put one hand on the hilt of his sword in preparation for drawing it. “You’ll pay for that.”

Thunderborn raised his hands in a gesture of surrender. “Tut tut, Master Breeden. As of yet, I have engaged in no violence, and I am unarmed. As a member of Issho-Ni, you cannot strike me down without severe consequences.”

“You’ve just confessed to making a deal that resulted in the death of your fellow Archmage,” Eric growled. He began pulling the sword from his sheath, but, to his surprise, he found a hand grasping the hilt, holding it in place. He looked sideways in confusion and saw Ehran shake his head.

“He hasn’t confessed,” His former mentor said. “He’s just said that he wanted Samuel gone, Eric. And making deals with Infernals isn’t against any known laws.”

Eric gaped at him, his mind reeling. “So he’s innocent? How can you say that after what we’ve just heard and gone through?”

Again, Ehran shook his head. “He’s not innocent. We know that. But as the rules dictate, he’s to be treated as such. If you attack him, I’ll have to defend him. Don’t make us enemies just to strike him down.”

There was a poignant pause, and the Grandmaster turned to the archmage. “Averin. Did you take part in the siege of Milagre? Are you in any way aligned with the people who destroyed the palace and killed the Champion of the Mind?”

Another pause while Averin Thunderborn considered his reply. Then, finally, he shook his head. “I am not in any way affiliated with the beings that caused this destruction.”

Ehran’s eyes closed for a second or two, and he let out a frustrated sigh. “You are not lying to me. Therefore, I cannot attack you.”

The archmage looked extremely pleased with his decision, but the expression didn’t last long before Ehran continued. “But we will not vacate the city while innocent civilians remain inside. Surrender those who are not possessed to us, free those who are possessed against their will, and only then will we leave.”

His use of the word ‘possessed’ told both Averin and Eric that he’d already known the truth about Infernals. Averin Thunderborn laughed. “Against their will? Surely you know that is impossible.”

“It’s not,” Eric jumped in. “Just earlier today, I saw some who were hosting Infernals without a deal.”

“Ah, those,” Thunderborn said, nodding in understanding. “You’ll be pleased to know that they were a rare occurrence. Another faction of Infernals opposed to the faction currently holding the city. They were too hasty and did things improperly. As such, they were rightfully banished. The other civilians have all formed deals with their Infernal companions and agreed to their possession.”

“You expect us to believe that so many civilians agreed to be possessed?” Eric asked, feeling a rush of indignant rage fill him. “You’re lying.”

Again, as he moved, Ehran stopped him. “He’s not lying, Eric.”

“How could you possibly know that?” Eric asked, his rage temporarily directed at Ehran now. He tried to yank his arm free, but the man’s grip was unbreakable. “Just because he can fool you doesn’t mean that I’ll be as gullible!”

If Ehran was insulted by his comment, no sign of it showed on the smooth, olive-skinned face. “I know he is telling the truth because nobody can lie to me while my charm is active.”

By way of explanation, he lifted his amulet, the one that bore the crest of his Divine ancestor. “It burns when I am lied to, and it continues to be cold. Averin, can you swear to me that no innocent, uninvolved civilians remain in the city?”

“I can,” Averin replied at once. “I promise you that, if they were not employed by the crown, they were left untouched. We never intended to harm the innocent.”

“That’s debatable,” Ehran snorted. “Fine. We will retreat, as there is no longer an opponent in sight to fight. But tell me if you can. What is the purpose of this attack?”

“Well, that is simple,” To their surprise, he seemed all too eager to share the reason for that day’s events. “The Infernals are furious at their defeat in the old war and have come to claim their revenge. They lay claim to the Ancient home of Gitna, and cast out all that don’t belong. You are neither Ancient nor Infernal, so you are not welcome.”

 

0