Volume 3 – Chapter 24
903 1 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The elves and I were travelling on horseback, heading east, away from the lake and the battlefield where I had first met them. I was riding a grey stallion, a blanket underneath me, and a hat the elves kindly provided on my head to block the sun. It was a hot, humid day, and the forest was thick and lush.

I was sitting behind Jakub, the elf commander, holding his waist, his long silver braid flowing in the wind, his face grim and serious, his body taut and muscular, and his leather armour revealing just a little bit of skin and a few scars, which he seemed proud of for some reason. I had asked him what the deal with the braid was and he told me that it was a symbol of courage, strength, and masculinity in his culture. It seemed odd to me, but I wasn’t one to judge. The other elves were following close behind us, their faces serious and focused, hands resting on the hilts of their swords. I could tell they were ready for anything. They were constantly scanning the surrounding trees, looking for any signs of danger.

I had never ridden horse-back in my previous life, so I was bouncing around on the saddle. Jakub had shown me how to hold on to the reins and the basic movements a short while earlier, and I was quickly picking it up, though I was still unsteady and a bit uncomfortable. Jakub’s body was warm and comforting, and I could smell the scent of leather and pine coming off him.

I wrapped my hands around his waist and hugged him, resting my cheek on his back.

“You’re awfully comfortable for a little girl travelling with a group of men you’ve never met before,” he bellowed in surprise, “I know your magic is powerful thanks to that display earlier, but what will my men think when they see us like this?”

“Don’t worry about it,” I replied nonchalantly, “they’re your men, and you’re the leader. They’ll understand.” There was a hint of amusement in my voice, and a slight smile on my lips. “Besides, they’re probably more concerned with the possibility of you seducing me.” I giggled, enjoying the moment.

“That’s not funny!” he shouted angrily, “I would never do such a thing!” His voice was laced with indignation and fury, and I could feel his body tense up.

“I said don’t worry about it... Also, I’m a boy”, I said in a mocking tone, letting out a soft chuckle.

“You’re a what? A boy?! What kind of boy dresses and talks like this? All of it just makes you seem like a girl!” Jakub said incredulously. “But that name, Hero. A very masculine name.” He sounded exasperated. “How old are you, 14? 15? I have never met anyone your age who wears clothes like these. Where are your parents, anyway?” I could feel a hint of genuine concern in his voice, which surprised me.

“I technically don’t have parents, as far as you’re concerned,” I replied.

“What do you mean you don’t have parents? Everyone has parents.” He sounded confused and bewildered. “And what do you mean ‘technically’?” His voice was filled with suspicion and disbelief. He looked over his shoulder at me with a puzzled look on his face. “Are you an orphan? Is that it? What kind of parent would abandon a child like you?“

Before I could answer, I sensed... something big approaching.

“Perhaps instead of asking questions you should keep your eyes on the road,” I said cooly. “Something’s coming.” Jakub whipped his head back and squinted at the path ahead. “It’s coming from the south,” I added. I could sense the presence getting closer, and it was definitely not friendly. “Get ready,” I said in a warning tone. I could feel the elves’ confusion at my words. The thing which was coming must have been out of the range of their best scouts. Or perhaps they weren’t looking for a monster of such size and strength. They didn’t stand a chance. They were only elves, after all. My horse reared back and let out a frightened whinny. It sensed it, too. “Get off the road!” I yelled at the top of my lungs. The elves immediately pulled their horses to the side of the path.

A massive form leapt out from the undergrowth, its teeth bared and six claws outstretched–that’s right, six arms, ready to tear us to shreds. It was a minotaur, as far as I could tell, but it was different from the extra limbs. It was bigger than any I had ever seen in the Wealdthurst dungeon. It was easily three times the size of the average, making it absolutely huge at around 15 metres tall. Its fur was black and matted with blood. It looked demonic. Its horns were curved and wickedly sharp, and its eyes were a fiery red. It landed on the ground in front of us with a thud, its massive hooves sending tremors through the earth. It let out a bellow of rage, its mouth foaming and its eyes filled with fury. It stood before us, its massive muscles rippling beneath its skin.

I used (Mind)Channel to telepathically communicate with the minotaur. I couldn’t understand what it was saying, but I got the general gist of it. It was enraged. Enraged at me specifically, and it was not going to back down. It was a mindless beast. I tried to convince it to stand down anyway, but it would not listen. I was left with no choice but to defend myself and my elven companions.

I hopped off Jakub’s horse in one swift movement and landed right in front of the minotaur. The elf was shouting something behind me, but I paid him no attention, my focus solely on the monster in front of me. I could sense its rage and hatred, and I knew it would not stop until it killed me. I could see the veins on its forehead bulging and throbbing, and its chest was heaving as it took heavy, laboured breaths.

“Everyone, scatter!!” I shouted. I could feel the elves moving away from us, and I could sense their confusion and fear. They were unsure of what was happening. They didn’t understand what was going on. But they obeyed my command and they scattered. The minotaur was still staring at me with a fierce intensity and I could feel its anger and hatred growing.

I could sense it was stronger than me, much stronger, much higher level than my 200. It was a legendary monster. The stuff of myths. I wasn’t sure what it was doing here, but if I didn’t stop it, it would kill the Elves and wreck death and destruction upon the land (as I suspected it already had). My best lead for finding Tomiko and reuniting with Elissa would be gone.

The minotaur lifted up one of its arms suddenly and pointed a massive open palm into the sky. With a black flash, a scythe had materialised in the beast’s hand. The weapon was huge and it came pre-covered in blood. The minotaur swung the scythe in an arc in front of it and I could hear the air splitting. It was fast. Faster than me. Its stats were off the charts.

My vision tilted as my decapitated head fell next to my sandalled feet. I could see my silky-white tights were covered in bright-red blood, trickling down my legs.

“HERO!!” Jakub’s voice boomed. I could hear a series of screams from the elves.

“I told you to scatter!!” I would have yelled, but my vocal chords had been obliterated.

The minotaur roared with laughter and took a step forward, its hoof crushing my head beneath it, squishing the flesh and bone with a crunch.

Earlier in the heart of Sonne, a meeting was taking place between the three most powerful men in the Empire. The Emperor wasn’t among them. No-one was aware of the location except for the three of them. These were the real powers that steered the Empire. The ones who decided its fate. The ones who held the fate of the world in their hands. They were in the Emperor’s secret study, surrounded by books and maps, their eyes focused on the elderly, white-clad mage.

“You must listen to me!” Pendrik Whiteswallow implored, desperation evident in his voice, “If we don’t act soon, the world as we know it will be destroyed!” The Master of the Mages was frantic, his robes wrinkled and disheveled, his hair matted, and his eyes exhausted. He had not gotten much sleep in the last few days, it seemed.

“Pendrik,” Sebastian Blackriver started calmly, “we’ve heard your concerns, and we share them. But we cannot afford to rush into action based on the remnant of some supposed ‘prophecy’. You must understand that. The stakes are too high.” The Master of the Mighty was seated on a chair, his arms crossed over his chest. His voice was calm and collected, and his expression and language were uncharacteristically stoic. “I understand why you want to act so quickly, and I share your sentiment, but the fact is that we cannot afford to make any mistakes, especially if the fate of the entire world is at stake.” He let out a deep sigh, and his brow furrowed.

“There are too many unknown variables at play, and we simply don’t have enough information to make an informed decision,” Javelin Greystone added softly from the other side of the room, his words carrying a hint of concern. The Master of the Shadows had a solemn look on his face, his eyes distant, and his fingers absent-mindedly rubbing the hilt of his dagger. “If what you say is true, and we act hastily, it could spell disaster. Not just for the Empire, but for everyone.”

Pendrik shook his head, his eyes downcast, and his lips trembling. “I can’t believe this...”, he muttered. “You’re all fools if you think we have time to gather information and make informed decisions. The signs are all there. We are running out of time, and we must act now!” He slammed his fists down on the table, and his voice raised a few octaves.

Ignoring him, Sebastian turned to Javelin.

“What of the Saint? How is she doing?” he asked the Master of the Shadows. Javelin shook his head slowly, his expression grim. “Not good,” he replied. “Her mind has deteriorated, and she can barely even speak anymore.” His voice was low, and his eyes were full of sorrow. “She is losing herself to the memories and visions that torment her, and she is becoming increasingly unstable and erratic.”

“What is the Gardener doing?”, asked Sebastian, frowning. “Is he still unable to help her?” The Master of the Mighty’s voice was heavy with frustration and anger. “Why must she remain in that filthy chapel?!” His fist hit the table with a loud thud. “She should be here with us, not wasting away in that damn mausoleum!”

Javelin sighed, his expression pained. “I have tried everything,” he said quietly. “I have begged and pleaded with Klaudius. Nothing has worked. He refuses to move her from that wretched place. And without his permission, I cannot take her against her will.” His eyes were full of regret.

“Damnit!” Sebastian swore loudly, and he rose from his seat, his face twisted in fury. “Will that girl simply whither away, forgotten by the world?! She is the hope of the Empire! She is the hope of the world! She must be saved!”

“Klaudius is a coward!”, he exclaimed, his voice trembling with rage and indignation.

“Such treacherous words, right in the Emperor’s study!”, Pendrik said angrily, perhaps unloading his pent-up frustration due to being ignored. “Have you no respect for the Sovereign of the Empire?! All the while he is bedridden out of despair for his heir!“

Sebastian’s face reddened, and his eyes widened.

“It’s not like the child is dead, Pendrik. It merely happened to have been born a girl. And for God’s sake, she speaks and uses magic already, freshly out of the womb! It’s a miracle. Klaudius should consider himself lucky...”

Sebastian stood there, seething with anger, but spoke no more. The air in the room was tense and filled with tension. The silence was deafening. It was as if time had stopped. Then, after looking to his side momentarily, a sign one of his spies had communicated with him, Javelin cleared his throat and broke the silence.

“I have received news,” he said hesitantly. “Pendrik’s Sky Fortress has actually appeared.” His voice was grim and his expression was grave. He met each of their eyes in turn. “It was spotted in the western reaches of the empire, near the borderlands.” The room erupted into chaos.

“I told you!!” Pendrik was shouting repeatedly like a petulant child, unbefitting in his age and status.

Sebastian was shaking his head in disbelief, his eyes wide and his mouth agape. “This cannot be...” he said hoarsely, his voice barely audible. “I don’t believe it.” His words trailed off, and he sat back down, his head bowed.

After Javelin calmed them both down, he continued.

“It should be impossible, but a gigantic floating island was briefly spotted by one of my informants in the Western Reaches, a small town called Rohze, which is under the jurisdiction of the Baron of Aeston,” he said, his eyes dark and his tone somber. “However, as I said, it disappeared shortly after, leaving only rumours in its wake.” He looked at the others.

“Worst of all, it was seen because the midnight was set ablaze by a tremendous explosion in the sky, which shifted the floating mass itself from its trajectory, likely temporarily disabling whatever magic was used to conceal it. That is my–”

“The Prophecy was true,” Pendrik interrupted him in a trembling voice, his eyes filled with a mixture of horror and excitement. He looked at each of the other two in turn, “We must act now, before it’s too late.”

“Show us the fragmented scraps you call a translation again, old man”, Sebastian demanded, his voice laced with irritation, “I still do not understand it.” The Master of the Mighty was leaning forward in his seat, his hands gripping the arms of his chair.

Pendrik unrolled his scroll once again and read the pieces he could interpret aloud.

“Four Demon Lords...

Herald End of the World...

When Sky Fortress...

Under the Midnight Sun...

Slime Demon Lord...

Bone Demon Lord...

Mechanical Demon Lord...

Tentacle Demon Lord...

Bring Forth...

The Abomination...

The Great Deceiver...

Legendary Beasts...

Ravage the World...

Goddesses Call...

Only Hope...

Hero Will Appear...”

Sebastian listened intently, his face paling and his expression becoming more and more grim as the moments passed. When Pendrik was done, he sat back and closed his eyes. He let out a deep breath. He did not say anything for a long time. When he finally opened his eyes, they were filled with resolve. He turned to Javelin.

“The Saint must be the Hero!” he exclaimed suddenly, his eyes blazing with determination and passion.

“I’m afraid not,” Pendrik said gravely, “the forbidden tongue uses the word ‘will appear’, in the same sense as we use ‘will become’, or ‘may become’. It could refer to someone who has yet to come into existence.” The old mage paused and cleared his throat. “Or someone who recently came to be born. It’s a moot point. The Saint can’t be the one.“

Sebastian was about to say something, but he held his tongue. He knew he was not an authority on scholarly matters. He was strong. He would trust the wisdom of his peers, and they would need to trust his strength. But then he had a thought. It was a hunch, nothing more. Perhaps the Saint was not the Hero, but her child would be. He kept the thought to himself.

Javelin, also deep in thought, did not speak for a while. When he did, his voice was soft, but full of conviction. “Gentlemen, I must now see to the Emperor’s despair.”

He left the study, leaving the others to send an expedition to Rohze to investigate the sky fortress and the so-called "Demon Lords".

What the others didn’t realise, however, was that he didn’t refer the Emperor when he said ‘despair’. It was his daughter he had in mind. He had to check something...

Earlier...

A nondescript office building. Two women in their office uniforms are huddled in front of a screen. Their faces are pale.

What the fuck?!

What the fuck is that?!

We’re so screwed!

At this point, if anyone finds out, it’s over for both of us. And the entire department.

It’s an I-Ab-L! Of all the things that artefact.... that thing could have turned into, it just had to be that. I didn’t even know what that was until I found the old manual in the archives.

... Right? How is it even possible? The evolution code has been patched out after the war.

What about Project Greenwood? We need it up and running now.

In progress, should be ready soon. I’m enabling accelerated growth.

So, what do we do with that... I-Ab-L? How do we kill it?

It’s still only a level 200, run the population control daemons, and target the I-Ab-L.

But won’t someone notice? It’s not a targeted solution like Project Greenwood.

That’s right, but it might solve the problem entirely before Greenwood matures. The shorter we run that kind of aberration, the better. And if anyone notices, they’ll be in the same situation as us. They’ll have to keep this from the Management and especially the Board as well, otherwise it’s over for them too.

Right.

And don’t forget who got us into this situation.

I know...

How about you tell 0x445F? She needs to learn to clean up her own messes.

I’ll... I’ll let her know.

27