Volume 3 – Chapter 26
1.2k 4 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was getting the impression the elves had softened up after my battle with that eight-armed minotaur. They were still wary of me, and in some ways, they were now even more weary, but their hostility seemed to have lessened. We had set off for their village and had been riding through what seemed like the same patch of forest.

I had asked Jakub if he could teach me to ride on my own and he had kindly agreed. The elves had extra horses, which they would rotate as to lessen the load on them during journeys. Jakub taught me to control a horse named Zwot while we travelled, showing me how to use the reins – elven style. I had no trouble getting the hang of it, and I was picking it up rather quickly.

Zwot wasn’t weary of me at all. None of the horses were.

Elves and horses had a special bond. The elves were coming to be more comfortable around me, even though I was a different species from them. Zwot, the chestnut horse, could probably sense the respect and awe they felt for me, and that was enough for him. He trusted me. I was grateful for the gentle nature of the creatures. They didn’t have any bad feelings towards me. It was different from my past life, where even the birds seemed to have some kind of problem with my existence.

They were not the only ones who had changed their attitude towards me. Jakub had started treating me with a little bit more respect as well. I could tell he was still suspicious of me, and he still wanted answers to his questions, but his initial suspicion had faded. He was more open to talking with me, and he was a little more willing to share information about himself.

“My wife and I used to hunt deer together when I was young and reckless. We had a son. His name was Adam. He died two years ago when he was captured by a group of imperial scouts. They tortured and killed him. I will never forget the way his body looked after they were done with him.”, Jakub told me as we rode side by side. His voice was quiet, but full of emotion. There was a sadness in his eyes. He was failing to hold back as he spoke. It was clear the memories were painful for him.

“We pursued the scouts. I mean myself, my brother and my cousins. They were all whom I could ask to seek vengeance,” but soon and his family found themselves to have fallen for a trap. “We were outnumbered. We fought them to a standstill. They had us outmatched with magic.” There was a pause. “In the end, we could only escape and retreat. I lost my brother. He saved my life.” There was another pause as he clenched his jaw muscles and closed his eyes for a second before opening them again, tears welling up.

“When I returned, I found my wife with her throat slit. She took her own life when she heard news of our return. She could not bear the loss of our son and the shame of our failure.” A tear rolled down his cheek, and he quickly wiped it away.

“She couldn’t face me.”

I remained silent as he spoke. It was a sad story, and I couldn’t help but sympathise with him. To have lost so much, and to have been powerless to do anything about it, it must have been devastating. The elves were not a weak people. In fact, I could see that in terms of strength and skill they were superior to the average human, but they were not invincible. They felt pain like any other intelligent species.

“That is why I must avenge them,” he continued. “I will avenge my brother. I will avenge the death of my son and the death of my wife. I will avenge my people and the land that we have lost. I will not let their deaths go without justice.” There was an intensity to his voice and a determination in his eyes that made it clear he was serious. I could feel his rage and his grief and I could see the effect it had on him. It was clear that his suffering was driving him forward. He had lost everything, and now he was fighting for the sake of those he had lost.

“And when I am finished, I will find the emperor himself and make him pay.” He looked me at and I could see the determination and resolve there. It was clear he meant every word. He probably understood he’d never accomplish such a feat. Still, the thought of being able to kill the man responsible for so much suffering gave him some kind of satisfaction. Maybe even a twisted sense of hope. The elves were an honourable people, and they valued revenge highly. It was something that was ingrained in their culture. It was an honour thing. They would fight and die to achieve it.

In the end, I didn’t know what to say. How could I respond to something like that? There were no words that could ease his suffering. He was a broken man.

I pushed Zwot lightly with the reins and rode right next to Jakub. I placed my hand on his shoulder and looked him in the eyes. I could feel his sadness and his anger and I could feel his pain. I leaned over, lifting myself out of the saddle.

“What are you doing? You’ll fall–“, Jakub protested.

But before he could finish, I had kissed him lightly on the cheek. I smiled, looking directly into his blue eyes.

[NOTICE: Kiss of Death skilled unlocked.]

Hmm? I hadn’t heard that chiming notice in a while.

Jakub turned away, blushing furiously, and tried to hide his face with his hands, while at the same time trying to swat me away like a fly.

“Don’t do things like that! You’re not my daughter and we just met!” he shouted in a flustered voice. “Besides, you’re not an elf and I don’t know anything about you. What’s wrong with you!?” The elves riding around us were all staring at us with bewildered expressions on their faces.

Well, Jakub seemed in good health and humour despite the ominous skill I just unlocked. I wonder what it does?

Unlike the title skills, there was no description or further information available by focusing on them on the list.

Well… a problem for future me, as they say.

As Jakub was fiercely defending his honour to his men, the forest finally opened up, as we rode into what looked like a brilliant clearing surrounded by trees and shrubs. In the distance, I could see a wooden wall and gate, with several towers, and a group of armed elves. The sun was setting, casting a warm orange glow over the scenery. The walls of the elven village were decorated with intricate designs and carvings, and the gate was made of sturdy wood. There was an air of tranquillity and peace about the place.

“This is one of the border villages we still have. It wasn’t a border village as such until recently,” one of the more scholarly elves by the name of Gustaf told me in lieu of Jakub. The leader was preoccupied with his men at the moment and so had delegated the task of informing me of our destination to his cousin and advisor. This elf was tall and lanky, with long black hair, a sharp nose, and narrow eyes. He had a stern and serious look on his face, and he carried himself with confidence. He was a warrior and a scholar, and he was well respected among the elves it seemed.

“How many elves live here?” I asked.

“About two-hundred,” Gustaf replied, “the village was originally built to house and protect those displaced by the war. Many were injured and lost their homes. But now most have recovered, and the village has become a permanent fixture of our territory. A few scouts and warriors stationed here to defend the place.”

“For a border town, your security seems, I don’t know, somewhat relaxed?”, I enquired.

“This is not for our tribe to worry about. We are not a united front after all,” Gustaf responded. He sounded slightly irritated. Was this an issue they had been dealing with? It was hard to tell. His demeanour had barely changed. But he was obviously bothered by something. Perhaps the stress of the journey had gotten to him.

Probably not something for me to be involved in, I thought.

“How far to where Tomi- I mean the Shadow is?” I changed the subject.

Gustaf raised his brow slightly.

“Another twenty or so nights,” he answered curtly.

“Fifteen if we hurry, which we will,” Jakub called out while he rode past us to the front of our group. He was approaching the village gate. The other elves were following closely behind him, while forming a circle around me.

“It is good to see you sound and safe, Jakub of the Sovic Tribe!” a voice called out from atop one of the towers. It belonged to a female elf who was standing on the walkway overlooking the gate. Her long blonde hair was tied in a ponytail, and she was wearing a brown cloak. She had a bow and a quiver of arrows slung across her back. Her features were delicate, but her body was lithe and toned. She was the first female elf I saw, and she was as beautiful as the male elves were handsome.

“Likewise, Basia of the Lage Tribe. We seek passage on our was back home!” Jakub called out in turn.

A male elf who was standing beside Basia whispered something in her ear. He had short dark hair and was wearing leather armour. He had a bow and a quiver of arrows slung across his back. He was holding a long spear as well and was looking at me curiously.

“Who is it that you bring with you? For you know very well we are no home to strangers or foreigners!” Basia asked in a loud voice, her tone carrying a hint of warning. She was suspicious. She had a right to be. My appearance was definitely strange, I guess, and I had no doubt been the subject of rumours since the elves first found me. It would have been surprising if they didn’t question me. But it was still annoying. I had enough of explaining myself to Zofia and now Jakub. Plus all the shouting across the air seemed unnecessary. Couldn’t we all just get the details sorted over tea or something?

“Her name is Hero. She is a mage of great skill and power. She came to us from the human lands and aided us in defeating a threat to our people and our homeland. You may trust her, Basia, as she has my trust and my friendship. Please, allow us to rest here for a few days before we continue on our way.”

I guess they hadn’t told the Lage tribe about the whole spooky, wailing shadow situation. Wait, did Jakub just call me his friend? Surely he was just putting on airs to make a convincing argument. Also…

“I’m a BOY!!” I joined in the shouting match, frustrated.

Basia looked at me with a puzzled expression and then shook her head in disbelief. She sighed and turned back to Jakub. She gestured towards the gate.

“Open the gate! We shall discuss the matter with the elder!”

The gate began to open with a loud creaking noise. Several guards emerged from within and started ushering us inside. We rode through the gate and entered the village. The carvings on the massive logs of wood gave the place a very rustic look.

The sky was filled with an orange glow, and the streets inside were bustling with activity. There were elves going about their early evening routines and the sounds of laughter and conversation filled the air. The atmosphere was lively and cheerful. Adorable elf children were playing games and adults were chatting happily. A few elderly elves greeted us as we passed by.

No one really stared at me or anything. But I guess I was completely surrounded by tall, muscular elves on horseback. So who knows what their reaction would have been if they could see a ‘human’ just waltzing into their home? Strangely, no one seemed to be on guard.

The streets were paved with stones in between the dirt. Most of the houses were simple structures built from logs and straw. They were painted green and brown and had large wooden windows that let in plenty of light. There were gardens and flower beds around them and some had balconies that looked over the streets. Everything looked neat and clean and well maintained. It was like a miniature city, much larger and elaborate than I had anticipated from a wayward fantasy village. No doubt a product of the elven culture and custom.

We approached the largest structure in the village, three stories high, which looked like a lodge. It took up a chunk of square footage, and was flanked on all sides by beefy-looking guards equipped with spears, like the elf next to Basia at the gate.

After we dismounted (not before I gave Zwot a big four-limbed hug) we walked up the steps leading to the entrance. Afemale elf wearing a dress made of leaves and vines greeted us at the door, bowing her head slightly. She had a friendly smile on her face and her dark hair was tied in a bun. She had a youthful face and carried herself with grace. I could tell she was curious about me, but she didn’t show it. I appreciated the politeness, if least because it moved along this whole situation.

“We are here to see the Elder,” Jakub announced to the elf maid. She nodded and gestured towards the door behind her. Jakub, Gustaf and I entered a large room filled with tables and chairs. The others would wait for us outside, it seemed.

There were paintings on the walls depicting different scenes from the forest and the village. The furniture was simple and unadorned. There were several elves seated at the tables, eating and drinking. They glanced at us as we passed through the room and nodded politely.

Again, there was no sign of scorn for me. It was strange.

We made our way, guided by the elf maid, to the back of the building, where we entered a spacious room with a fireplace and a large table. The walls were decorated with paintings and tapestries. There were bookshelves lining the walls, and several couches and chairs. The air smelled like freshly cut grass and pine trees. The sun had set and the light in the room was coming from the fireplace and the candles scattered throughout the room.

“Please take a seat. The Elder, together with Basia, will see you shortly”, the maid told us in a polite tone, as she walked off into the room. We were left alone. The room was quiet, and there was a feeling of calmness and serenity. I could tell everyone was feeling tired from the day’s journey, and the warmth from the fire probably made the strongest warrior want to fall asleep. But they resisted the urge. There was tension in the air.

There was a knock on the door. It opened and two female elves entered the room. One was Basia, the other was an older woman with grey hair and wrinkled skin. She had a stern face, and she was dressed in a long white robe. There was an aura of authority around her, and her eyes were sharp and alert. She scanned the room with a critical eye and then locked eyes with me.

“The Empire was surely not equipped to deal with the likes of you,” the elderly woman said with a snort. Her voice was harsh and cold.

“Know your place, traitor!” Gustaf suddenly called out, unable to withhold his tongue from something which was brewing deep inside ever since we saw sight of the village.

He was trembling with anger, and his eyes were burning with rage. He was glaring at the woman in front of him. I could feel his fury. The tension in the air had intensified.

“Unlike you, we have learned to compromise. Our people are alive, and we are thriving despite the best efforts of the empire! You abandoned us! You betrayed us! And now you dare accuse us of betrayal! How dare you!?” the elder spat out each word with contempt.

“We did not abandon you! We fought for you and died for you! It is you who have abandoned us! You chose to side with the humans instead of fighting alongside us! You betrayed us!” Gustaf shot back.

“Enough Gustaf,” Jakub said softly, as he brought his hand onto his cousin’s shoulder. His grip was firm. “We are here on a mission, remember that.”

Gustaf lowered his gaze and muttered under his breath. He looked ashamed. The Elder ignored him, which made Gustaf clench his teeth even harder. She focused her attention on me once more. I could feel her piercing gaze and I was starting to get annoyed.

“What is it that you want, you old hag?”, I asked.

Basia and the maid recoiled. Gustaf and Jakub burst out, trying to stifle their laughter.

The old woman only narrowed her eyes.

It seems my mouth is running ahead of my brain again.

“What we want is for you to leave our village as soon as possible,” the old woman said coldly. There was an edge to her voice. “You will only bring calamity to our homes. But first I would like to know what kind of demon you are and why you have chosen to come here? Tell me, are you an evil spirit or a monster sent by the emperor to torment us? I cannot sense a dark aura around you, but I do not believe you mean us well.”

Well, at least, she didn’t mistake me for a human.

“If you can tell that much, are you not afraid of me, oh old, wise one?” I asked coyly.

I could see the confusion on everyone else’s faces.

The old had paused for a moment, considering my words, and then replied: “No, because despite your power, I’m not afraid of dying.”

“And what about the maid and Basia over here?” I pointed toward them.

“Those two have sworn to defend the village and their people, no matter what.”

“And what of your guard?”

“Likewise, we have all skirted life and death by living on the brink for many years. Death is not the worst fate that can befall us.” There was a momentary pause.

“And what of the young children in your village?”, I continued my questioning. Jakub and Gustaf were staring at me with wide eyes. Basia was also confused and unsure how to react. But the old woman had her mind set.

“Their fates too have been sealed by the Empire,” she said without missing a beat.

“Then you stand to lose more, old woman,” I said.

(Domain)Control.

The elder suddenly shrunk.

Her face became less wrinkled and her body got smaller and lost weight. She was no longer hunched over and her skin became smooth and flawless. Her eyes lost their hardness and became soft and warm. She looked like a child. She had become an innocent child. She was adorable. It was like looking at a living doll, surrounded by the oversized rags of an old woman. It was impossible. But apparently not for me.

“What did you do?!”, the little girl before me cried out in her little girl voice, her fists clenched as she threw them down at her sides. She was pleasingly shorter than me, so I was looking down at her head.

Everyone else was frozen. Gustaf and Jakub were staring at the child in disbelief. They couldn’t comprehend what had just happened. They had never seen anything like it before. The maid was just as shocked and was looking at the little girl in horror. Basia collapsed onto her knees. The room was silent. I had rendered everyone speechless. Then I remembered I still had a question I wanted answered.

“If you could do it all over again? What would you do differently?”

22