Prologue – 2 – Life
432 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Taking a few steps up and down the corridor, she familiarised herself with her new body. The effect of that Flashback Light was most certainly bizarre, it felt like she had lived another life. They weren’t vague, no, she could ‘remember’ every feeling and emotion present during each moment in this new life. It didn’t take long for her to fully assimilate. Physically, it felt like nothing had changed, except deep in her mind, she refused to believe it.

’So.. according to my memories. My name is Raiden Ei, the Ultimate Shogun, a descendant of the all-mighty Raiden Makoto. The Raiden family being from a line of powerful and noble Shoguns that ruled over Japan in ancient times. The Shoguns died out as time passed and society became modernised, however there was an ancient legend that the Shogun would return when the legendary blade awakens: The Musou Isshin. It awakened on my 7th birthday, granting me the title of Shogun. For the rest of those years I trained hard to master the art of fighting and leadership.’

She recalled the events before she had appeared in this place, when she still lived the life of Kai. ‘The Musou Isshin appeared in that malevolent place and it told me to remember something, but what was it!?’ Ei tried to dig as deep as she could into all of her newfound memories, but came out with nothing.

”Oi punk! What do ya think you’re doin’?” She turned calmly to see Monokid jumping up and down with frustration. Staring at him without any hint of distress, she examined him again. “Hey! Why’re you not reactin’ to me? Everyone usually freaks out!” He looked down and attempted to whisper, “Did the Flashback Light not work?” He could still be heard.

”…I’m not reacting to you, because you don’t seem like a threat to me.” Ei bluntly answered. Of course, the punk-rock bear ripped out his guitar to demonstrate his anger.

”You’ll be wishin’ you hadn’t crossed me when I pump hella bullets through your thick skull! Oh yeah!” Monokid’s threat fell on dead ears, Ei attempted to walk away, but was stopped in her tracks again. “WAIT!” Meeting his eyes again, it seemed like he genuinely wanted to say something. “Hah… the reason I came ‘ere to talk to ya is to tell ya to go meet the others before we get things started. You’re one of the last Ultimates to wake up, ya understand?!”

”All right then. Thanks for the advice.” In response to Ei’s thanks, he nodded and disappeared into a hole in the floor. ‘First, I need to make sure I’m not the only one who still remembers everything and I’ll introduce myself along the way. The one I should look for first is that Rantaro guy.’

Making her way the around the corner even more plants and moss covered the area. Up ahead was a staircase leading up to presumably the next floor. To the right was a small corridor with three rooms. Peeking at the sign on the left: “Cafeteria”. ‘This seems like an appropriate place for someone to be.’ Following her gut feeling, she aimed towards the door. She couldn’t even get in it’s vicinity when it opened.

To her surprise it was Rantaro. He appeared to be troubled by a recent encounter, most likely within the cafeteria, nevertheless he still wore the same worrying face as before. Instead of his school uniform he wore a navy black and blue shirt with a ship’s wheel plastered on it, brown pants. It wasn’t hard to spot the countless accessories on his hands and ears.

Noticing someone ahead of him, his face lit up and waved. “Hey there. I’m guessing your also an Ultimate… seeing as you’re here. Did you get hurt at all when they kidnapped you?”

It was hard for Ei to not feel suspicious of Rantaro, but with little evidence she had to give him the benefit of the doubt. ”No, I’m perfectly fine. All I’m bothered about right now is finding out more about this place, while also introducing myself to everyone at the same time.” 

“I see, well that’s good. Anyway… I’d just like to ask you something.” He paused for a second. “Do you remember how you got here?” Despite it being an innocent question, something about it seemed all too odd.

“No.. I don’t. I remember going to sleep and the next moment, here I was.” She wasn’t lying, it did happen, but there was a series of events missed out. “… I assume you’re asking me because everyone else doesn’t either.” Acknowledging her claims, he nodded. “Hmm.. do you know anything else about this place?”

“Yeah… I do. What, did the Monokubs not tell you?” He seemed surprised, possibly everyone else he talked to had the same information as him.

”Yes. I only had one of them shout at me to come introduce myself to the other Ultimates. Oh, speaking of that I’ve not introduced myself yet, my apologies. My name is Raiden Ei, the Ultimate Shogun. But, you can call me Ei.” As if it was second nature she performed a traditional bow, raising herself back up.

“Nice to meet you too Ei. However, I don’t think it’s possible for me to tell you my Ultimate Talent.” Rantaro held his hands on his hips. Raising an eyebrow, she urged him to continue. “I didn’t just forget how I got here. I also forgot my own talent.”

’Wait, he forgot it? Even though the Monokubs claimed those Flashback Lights were to help us remember, not forget something we supposedly had already forgotten.’

”Don’t worry, I’m certain it will come back to you in the foreseeable future.” She tried her best to comfort him, but she had her doubts.

A grateful smile appeared on his face, however what he said next alerted Ei.  ”I appreciate it. Anyway, I almost forgot to tell you my name… but it’s not like I already told you and then I forgot…right?”

Her hands tensed up. ‘So he does remember everything! I knew I was right to be suspicious about him— no wait, I can’t rule out the possibility that it was a joke. Hmm, I’ll be keeping my eyes on him.’

”My name is Rantaro Amami. Even though I don’t remember my talent, I promise I’m not a bad guy.” He looked down in thought for a while immediately after. ”So about this place. According to the bears, it’s name is the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles. They claimed to have built this place for us 17 Ultimates as a part of the so-called Ultimate Initiative. That’s all they really told me.”

Ei couldn’t figure out the Monokubs, they were an enigma, putting it lightly. “…If they did build it for us, then why have they let it become more like a jungle than an academy? Hmph, well thanks a lot Rantaro. I assume there’s someone in the cafeteria to talk to, so I’ll be heading inside.”

”No problem Ei. I will warn you though, if you aren’t comfortable with unique people… then I’d make it as quick as possible.” He looked at her again and reconsidered. “Well, you might actually be just fine.”

They waved goodbye, leaving her in wonder of who is behind the red doors. Pushing it open, the bright ceiling light flooded her eyes. Stepping onto the shiny swamp coloured floor, Ei took in all of her surroundings, lined around the edges of the room were bushes and flowers. Straight ahead a large blue table sat there, locked in between 17 rusty seats. Hanging from the ceiling towards the left, a TV screen and an uncountable amount of speakers. At the back of the dining hall were a screen of rules. ‘You may eat any food you find in the dining hall. Please take responsibility for all utensils and dishes used and clean up after yourself. The dining hall will be locked during night time.’

‘If it wasn’t clear by now, we’re going to be staying here for a while.’ She closed the door properly as soon as her analysis was done. ‘This killing game that the Monokubs want us to partake in…I’ll make to end it as quickly as I can, to go ho—‘ 

“HAAIYAAAHH!!” A chaotic scream came from an inhabitant of the dining hall. Already launched into the air, a kick shot towards her face. ‘Wait.. it’s so slow.’ Flashes of ruthless training routines spurred Ei’s body to react, dropping to the ground, the attacker hitting air. Swiftly recovering they landed into a fighting stance. “Haha! I knew it! I could sense your warrior spirit the moment you entered the door! Not just anyone could dodge my Neo-Aikido!”

Ei observed her, feeling a little bewildered from the sudden attack, however she looked familiar. ‘If I recall, she was the one who screamed at the top of her lungs in fear of Monokid’s suggestion to test out the Exisals. It seems the Flashback Light channelled her screaming from fear into being violent.’

In her Ultimate costume, she sported a blue and white school uniform, a white ribbon tied above her chest. Her twin tailed dark grey hair tied up with a ribbon. A pink headband slotted over her head and a green bow on the back of her head. Finally, she had on long white socks and sandals.

“You shall now be formally known as my best friend and rival!” The flamboyant girl declared with utmost certainty.

‘First, you attack me and now you’re telling me I’m your best friend and your rival.’ She sighed. “Look… if you’re going to put labels on me then at least exchange names beforehand. My name is Raiden Ei, but for ease of use, call me Ei. I’m the Ultimate Shogun.”

”WAIT! Did you just say… ‘Raiden Ei?’” Her enthusiasm peaked, to an avid viewer, stars shone brightly in her eyes. “I’ve always heard countless tales from my master of a legendary female warrior chosen by fate! An expert of all forms of weaponry and combat! D-Do you mean to say t-thats you!?”

‘What’s with this girl?’…”Umm.. yes that’s me—“

Without any chance to rest, she charged towards Ei, grabbing her hands in glee. “Oh my god! I’m such a big fan! Both me and my master are such big fans! Ah- I’m sorry, I forgot…” Letting go of her hands she took a knee. “I’d happily give you my name Lady Shogun!… I am the creator and master of the ULTIMATE fighting style, Neo-Aikido! Tenko Chabashira’s the name!”

”It’s nice to meet you Tenko…” She remained there, propped up by her left knee. “You don’t have to kneel. It’s not like I’m royalty you know.”

“That is incorrect Lady Ei. The blood of Raiden Makoto, the strongest Shogun in all of Japan’s ancient history runs through your veins! You are a highly respected figure in the martial arts world… surely you knew that, right?” From all her memories, she did recall hearing about several news articles about herself. “You know, I was kind of expecting a giant muscle bound woman. I apologise again! I didn’t mean to underestimate your beauty!”  

”Eheh.. uh thank you, Tenko.” Taking the opportunity now that she seemed have calmed down, albeit only slightly. “By the way, do you have any information about this place?”

Finally getting off her knee she crossed her arms in thought.”Hmmmmmmmm.. apart from the name. I do not! I humbly apologise for this inconvenience!”

Her constant apologies started to annoy Ei. “Alright, Tenko… If you want to be my friend then you need stop acting like I’m some almighty god that will punish you, all because of something so utterly insignificant!”

She froze, her hands twitching and she struggled to formulate any words. “S-s..w-wha.” Feeling off balance she found a way to calm herself down, she yelled. “HAIYAH!” All her energy looked to have been replenished from that one shout. “All right! Ei, you have my word! Because that’s what a true friendship stands for!”

’Despite her unruly nature, she comes across as quite the nice person. I guarantee that attitude deters people from trying to be friends with her.’ With all the chaos unfolding a meek and lazy red headed girl watched on. Ei felt sorry that she had to witness it all so she turned her attention to her. “Hey there! Are you doing alright?” 

“Nyeh… I guess so.” She looked too uninterested. This girl donned a large witch’s hat, medieval boots, a black school blazer with a red skirt and    brown tights.

”I’m sure you already heard my introduction, so if I may… what’s your name?” Ei smiled.

”…I am known far and wide, my talents shocking the world over…” She was too exhausted for some reason, making her speech seem like a joke.” I am Himiko Yumeno… the Ultimate Mage. But… to hide my powers, I go by the Ultimate Magician.”

“You’re a mage?”… ‘I’m not too sure if I believe her or not, but with the matters of the Musou Isshin. I can’t dismiss anything supernatural.’

It wasn’t even Himiko who answered the question. “Yes! You’re totally right Ei! Himiko is a suuuuper powerful mage. She has enough magical power to wreck this place to the ground! The only reason why she has not done so is because her MP is recharging!” Tenko’s eyes became stars again, showing an unparalleled interest in Himiko.

”Hmm.. I see. If that’s the case, then I guess we can count on you to help us with your magic.” 

”Hn.. I guess so.” She looked away in more of a sulk.

”That’s good to hear. Anyway, I think it’s time I introduce myself to everyone else. Let’s continue our conversation later Tenko, farewell.” Ei waved towards the two in the room with a smile, but Tenko had one last thing to say.

“Watch out for those degenerate males! I know you’re the allmighty shogun, but you never know what kind of sly tactics those savages will pull.” Immense disgust plagued her voice.

“Uh… thank you? I’ll keep that in mind.” Now it all made sense. ‘Now I know why Rantaro looked so tired after coming out of here. I can’t imagine what would happen if I was in my old body right now.’ “Alright then, goodbye for now.”

Exiting the cafeteria, she spotted Rantaro again who seemed to be standing in the same spot. ‘I wonder who he’s waiting for.’ Her suspicions still remained.

Leaving him to it, Ei turned to the door on the left. Sliding it open, towers of items loomed over her, filling the gigantic room. ‘This must be the storage room.’ Checking out the current stock, she was definitely impressed. ‘Wow, they have almost everything you’d need to survive.’ Not only were they stored on the shelves, countless necessities had been neatly arranged in between on the floor.

In the furthest right corner of the room, covered by the enormous shelves, several loud clangs echoed through. ‘What on earth is happening around there?’ Silently sneaking around towards the source, flying objects came into view. Clearly, someone was searching for something, desperately.

As she reached the mess, a torpedoing yellow sponge zoomed towards her face. With no effort required, almost seeming like a flick of her arm, she caught it. ‘It still surprises me how a flashing light can alter my body to this degree.’ Flicking her head back to the person, she realised it was the angry cream haired girl. Dropping the sponge onto the floor, she confronted the crazed girl. “Hey! What are you making this mess for!?”

”Eep!” She launched up into air with a small squeak. Regaining herself footing she turned around with fury. “Oi, bitch! You don’t gotta sneak up on me like that!” 

“Well… if you didn’t throw a sponge at my face I wouldn’t have shouted.” Taking in the girl’s looks, her uniform did look much brighter than everyone else’s, at least not as much as her own. She had on a bright pink school uniform with a light turquoise bow tied in-front of her cleavage. Directly under.. two pieces of black rope were tied around her waist, held together by a golden circle. Similarly, they were wrapped around her legs, being clipped on her white knee socks and on her left arm. Around her collar, were two barbed-wire-esque necklaces and a black collar. Resting on top of her head, brown goggles and lastly, large black boots. “So… what are you even trying to find?”

”Really? Are you that stupid? What else would you need in this situation?… Meds of course! And I don’t mean nothin’ like that weak shit. I’m tryin’ to go sky high!” She laughed uncontrollably with complete seriousness.

However, Ei changed. Her eyes glowed an even brighter shade of purple than before, she felt rage. “So in other words, a drug… right?!” She felt so angry that flashes of purple lightning circled her eyes.

”Heeeee!” She reclined in fear to protect herself, her careless attitude now gone. “W-Why did you get s-so angry over a little drug?!” Sweat leaked out of her face, weirdly enough she began to blush.

Ei took a few deep breathes to take back control. “Sigh… It doesn’t matter. Anyway, I’m here to introduce myself, I’m Raiden Ei the Ultimate Shogun. Call me Ei.” She waited for a reply, but the strange girl still held herself in the same position. “You can talk you know, I’m not going to hurt you. At least introduce yourself… you can at least manage to do that, right?”

”Y-Yeah of course I can. I thought you’d never ask, weirdo.” She posed confidently, showing off her ‘glory’. “I’m none other than the gorgeous girl genius, my good looks and golden brain will be remembered for generations to come! Miu Iruma… the Ultimate Inventor!” A golden glow radiated off her.

“Hmm… what have you invented? If you don’t mind me asking.” Ei wondered.

Miu all of a sudden got angry again. “Huh!? You’re tellin’ me you haven’t heard of me before?! Tch, I knew you were some kind of weirdo, everyone in the world knows me. You must be a sheltered little princess or somethin’, especially with that kind of outfit!”

’Well, that’s actually not true. From everything available to me, it seems that I’ve lived a pretty normal life. Taking away the years of training I’ve undergone.’ “Yeah… no. I’ve learn’t a lot about this world and it’s people, you just haven’t popped up. However, I’m sure I’ve used an invention of yours without realising it.”

”Eh…” She didn’t necessarily believe it. “I’m not sure I believe you… but I’ll bite. I’ve made a gadget that let’s you type, read or even eat while you sleep. Also, some weird contact lenses, but no one gives a shit about ‘em.” Even though she was angry about it, she didn’t look all too proud of her work. 

Ei thought deeply, attempting to find a memory that matched. “Oh, wait. I do remember using a device to read during sleep to help make room for more physical training in the day.” Remembering her goal she decided to end the conversation quickly. “Ah, sorry Miu. I’m going to have to move on to the next person. Hah.. I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I hope you find what you’re looking for.” Her last sentence uttered with gritted teeth.

”Heh.. thanks weirdo.” The moment Ei turned away, Miu clawed her way through the shelves once again, sending it’s contents flying.

’What’s with these people? I know the Flashback Lights changed everyone’s personalities in some shape or form, but why is everyone missing a couple screws in their heads?’ Coming out of storage room, Rantaro reacted to the sound of the door opening. “You were right. There’s a few strange individuals in this place.”

”Yeah, but there are a lot more waiting for you.” He jokingly smiled.

Ei’s mouth twitched. “So I was right in thinking everyone here was strange.”

”Hmm.. you might want to take the stairs next, if I remember there was someone waiting near the entrance of the second floor.” Rantaro recalled his encounters. “I’d come with you so you aren’t by yourself, but I’m waiting here for the last two to find me. Stay safe.” With that she nodded, leaving Rantaro to his own devices.

 

11