Chapter 002 : Crisis
370 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Lady Yielliath?" A familiar voice echoed in their ears and their eyes struggled to open. A small figure who could be called beautiful was staring anxiously at them.

"K-kilure?" A soft voice spoke, one that although they weren't used to, knew that it was theirs. Before they heard Kilure's voice, they had seen and experienced Lady Yielliath's life up to the point they were intimately familiar with her life even more than their own.

"It's good that you survived Lady Yielliath." Kilure said with deep relief. When the Reliant Dawn made impact, the remaining gravity actualizers had lessened the force by a large margin, but the remaining impact still shook everything within fifteen kilometers.

"What's the ship's status?" Lady Yielliath sat up while ignoring the feeling of various places in her body being repaired by both a mixture of Ieln'ai medical technology and her innate superior vitality.

"Shields are down. Ship durability is at seven percent." With how durable the Ieln'ai ship was, even smashing into a planet at full speed wouldn't destroy it, but the last second thrust in the opposite direction nearly tore the ship in two.

"Crew?" Although they weren't Lady Yielliath of the Ieln'ai, the fact she died as she did in order to make up for her failure as well as to cause her enemies extinction, they respected her determination.

"All one hundred and eighty two members accounted for. Several areas of the ship have lost breathable air. The components of the outside atmosphere is acceptable for short term respiration only." Kilure knew that although Lady Yielliath would be fine for the most part, the other crew members couldn't be taken out of stasis unless they used their combat suits.

"Native aircraft have been circling the Reliant Dawn for the past eight minutes." Kilure said while scanning through the messy communications channels, whether or not they were encrypted or not was of little concern.

"Power supply?" The Ieln'ai ships could operate without having to switch power crystals for three cycles, but the ship Reliant Dawn had been in use for two cycles, and they were afraid the last bit of power went to the deacceleration of the ship just before impact.

"Down to half a power crystal. Two reserve power crystals are aboard." With that, Lady Yielliath heaved a sigh of relief. They may not be the original Lady Yielliath, but they were now for better or worse.

"How long will repairs take?" Lady Yielliath saw Kilure run a few simulations and wondered how much computing power this little AI had when she got the answer.

"Due to lack of resources, the repair actualizer will consume an entire power crystal and should take the indicated amount." Although the Ieln'ai were an incredibly advanced species, they never fretted about making a standard measurement of time aside from cycles.

"In this planets terms, four weeks." Lady Yielliath said, not minding whether or not Kilure would be suspicious. Even before the Ieln'ai became an Advanced Stage species, they were exceptional with technology and had created an interface.

Lady Yielliath could do the same things Kilure could do, but the strain and the general unwillingness to flood their brains with too much useless information usually kept the Ieln'ai from taking the AI's jobs.

"For the past few minutes, I've gotten several transmissions from the natives of this planet. How would you like to proceed?" Kilure asked respectfully. Although Lady Yielliath didn't fuss about her status, she was still an Ieln'ai Noble, a status few in the universe could match.

...

About Twenty Minutes Prior on Earth

"Sir? A large surge of energy suddenly appeared!" A NASA observer said in disbelief but the NASA Director Lucas Sean ignored it because even if it was as she said, it would be too far to get anything out of it.

"A distant supernovae then?" The Director Sean asked without much worry but when the NASA observer turned her screen to him, he frowned initially but then his eyes widened.

"This is just outside our solar system?!" Although it was too far away to get anything accurate, the object that had appeared would undoubtedly be much closer to Earth than what the light showed now.

"We have reports from several of our space probes orbiting the far planets that an object is approaching Earth at high speeds!" Someone else from a different division who normally dealt with probes and reading their information said with a panicked voice.

"How fast is it?" Lucas asked while trying to keep calm, but the following news made him lose his calm and he immediately ordered his assistant to call the the President.

"It's traveling at at one percent the speed of light. We have a few minutes to impact at the most." By the time Earth could even try to mount a counterattack, it would have already hit the Earth.

"Director Lucas Sean?" A grave voice came from the phone, but Lucas didn't have time for pleasantries and directly revealed the news to the president.

"How long?" The president didn't rant about their incompetence and instead wanted to figure out a solution, but the time limit was depressing to everyone who heard it.

"At the speed it's traveling, it will cause global devastation we cannot even imagine. The asteroid that heralded the dinosaurs extinction was larger but it wasn't this fast. If the asteroid that hit the dinosaurs back then was one hundred and fifty times faster than a commercial plane, then this object is traveling at ten thousand times that of a commercial plane."

"Dear God." It didn't take a genius to know that size didn't matter when speed became too much to cope with. No amount of preparation could help the human race or even Earth avert this disaster.

"Sir, the object is visible from our telescopes. It's at least three kilometers long!" A voice yelled and everyone felt death creeping towards them, but this time it was actually moving faster than anything they had ever encountered.

"Projected data has it colliding somewhere in Alaska." Because the speed was too much, all they could do was cross their fingers because even evacuating now would be pointless.

"Sir, it's entering our atmosphere in a few moments!" Before the sentence even finished, the projected data showed that the object had impacted an island in Alaska, but the damage was far less than it should have been.

"Send people to investigate! Lock down the area, no one gets in or out without our knowledge." The president contacted several other people and started to initiate plans to investigate as the object couldn't have been a asteroid traveling at one percent the cosmic speed limit, that of light.

16