Chapter 50 – Friendship at Dusk
163 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Then there was a shift. Druzash grabbed Varey’s leg and hoisted him ahigh. The Solar Prince arose and swung the Boar Prince about like he was nothing. This sudden strength seemed out of place, but I could see the light return to Druzash. The emanation and power of the Solar Prince was all about him and he seemed as like a descended celestial.

I don’t know whether the others could see this, but the light of his form was so bright that I had to avert my gaze.

Varey was flung to the other side of the ring. Druzash raced after him. On reaching, a series of pummels met Varey. He was driven toward the edge of the ring, and would’ve surely been knocked outside. But he wouldn’t let this display of sheer force overwhelm him.

He blocked the oncoming strikes as they slowed. With one straight punch to the gut, he broke through the Solar Prince’s hold. Then he grabbed his shoulders and pushed him to the center of the ring. They fell and scuffled with each other once more.

Varey was able to lock the prince underneath him, and on top he proceeded to strike Druzash back and forth, blood splashing side to side.

Viruka couldn’t bear to watch this. I expected her to run away, or ask me to stop him. But she alone went into the ring and held her brother back.

“Stop this, Varey! This isn’t right.”

He halted his strikes. Panting, he fell away from the Solar Prince, exhausted.

The proctor came and said, “Let the match be ended here.” He turned to the princess and said, “While I should say that this match mustn’t have been in your sight, it is not right to have halted the battle as you did. I would have ended this were I to see things have become fatal.”

“But why fight to such exertion?” she said, almost breaking into tears. She did her best to hold them back. “I can understand war, but this is just a mock test.”

“You could argue the same for tomorrow, for it is, after all, just a trial; just a tournament.” She went silent. “Would you stop your brother in tomorrow’s match, were you to see him be bloodied or his opponent?”

“I do not know,” she said.

“I suggest you not come to watch your brother or any other tomorrow if you cannot seek to suppress your emotions. Don’t bring shame to them, as you’ve done so now.” He turned to Druzash and Varey and said, “Given this situation, will you two concede this match.”

“Aye,” said Varey.

“Aye,” said Druzash, his light fully gone, and blood spat from his mouth.

The proctor blew the conch. The soldiers’ cheer grew loud as they helped both the princes. They dusted and clothed them, singing their praises and such. Viruka removed herself from the ring and became sullen.

I went to her side, but she kept her distance. “I wish not to speak to you!”

“Don’t be as such,” I said, “would you have wished me to stop your brother and make the same mistake?”

“What mistake is there in halting bloodlust?” she cried. “Would the Heavens roar with their light and answer my prayer to bring full peace to this realm. To have us live beside the Demons as we had in the past.”

She spoke of an idealism that could no more come.

“Is it so wrong to halt a brother who would commit the sin of felling another?”

“What makes you think he could have—let alone would have—killed Druzash?”

She whispered, “Because that was what he would have done to you.”

She ran from the area, and I sought to pursue her. I held myself back. Yet again, I had upset another woman. I may not have shamed her, but I surely did speak against her wish, her conclusion, her resolve. All directed to the sole benefit of both her brother and I.

I sighed and turned my attention to Varey and Druzash. While I expected the two of them to be bitter toward one another, I was left surprised and happy. I saw the two princes laughing with each other.

The soldiers lifted them and threw them each high into the air. The one of happiness and the one of a boar were both glad in joy.

While Viruka left with tears, here her brother was left with mirth!

She wasn’t wrong when she sought to halt her brother from striking me when we first met. But the bloodlust of the match was gone. I was sure her brother had enough restraint now from not felling his opponent. For even with his onslaught and rush to destroy his opponent, I could see that he withheld the greatest extent of his force. My sight and discernment had become much greater than they were before. If only she could realize what I did.

I was ready to approach the two princes who were brought to the ground until I felt a chill. One alike to the adversaries that assailed me. I looked about to see where it came from. But I couldn’t find the source. Then I turned to the princes to see a child dressed in a rather dark fhorlia.

“Salutations, princes!” he said, bowing with folded hands. “I am prince Tremang—for I am One who is Three-faced. I must say that was a wonderful match. I hope to battle against the two of you soon, supposing we reach the finals of the tourney.”

Varey and Druzash greeted the individual likewise.

“I hope we all succeed to that extent,” said Druzash.

“Indeed!” said Varey.

I could see both Druzash and Varey exhibited some degree of caution.

Ill was soon to follow.

Thanks for reading! If you can please favorite, comment, and rate/review my story. It would greatly help me!

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/616280/he-who-conquered-death/

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year guys! I'll be taking a break from posting from Dec. 25 to Jan. 1. Next chapters are going to get spicy; I'll at last oblige the genre of smut! Hope you look forward to it and see you in 2023!

2