Chapter 51 – The Three-Faced Boy
28 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The new prince left with a retinue of soldiers. They seemed rather monotone and spoke not a word. When they were out of sight, the three of us were left relieved.

“Was this the new prince you mentioned?” asked Varey.

“Aye, and he bodes rather ill,” said Druzash. “Though he held no malice, I could see by his eyes that terror lurks deep inside.”

“Why don’t we follow him,” I said. “Shouldn’t we learn more about our enemy”.

The two looked to me, surprised as if I had just appeared out of the air.

“And who might you be?” asked Druzash.

“Apologies!” I said bowing with folded hands. “I am prince Yurva–for I am One who Represents Death. I am child to the Immortal King, Desyar, and heir to the seat of Koshapa. Varey here is my friend, and I should hope that I could likewise become as such to you.”

Druzash looked to Varey who nodded his head fervently. “Yes, yes, Prince Druzash, he is indeed a good friend of mine!”

“Well, any friend of Varey’s shall be mine as well!” he said with a smile. “But do you think it wise to trail another prince?”

“Who said anything about trailing?” I said with a grin. “Let us spend the rest of the night with him. I don’t think we shall have much time once the tourney starts. It shouldn’t hurt to be with him for the short while we have until night has completely eclipsed the sky.”

Druzash laughed. “Well, then let us be on our way!”

He whistled. Suddenly, a white figure landed near us. The soldiers about were startled, but seeing who it was, they relaxed and went on their way. The figure rose to reveal a hair and face of dark and wings of white dressed in a white fhorlia. When I beheld him, I realized who it was! It was the first of their kind I had yet seen: a Pakshevahm.

He stood tall, at least twice our size. His long black hair swept along his back. His wings retracted with feathers falling about, reminding me of the celestials. He held a gentle smile.

He bowed to Druzash. “I have arrived, my prince.”

The Solar Prince said, “Friends! This is my attendant, Viren–One like a cloud–who has served our family faithfully for a long while. I know not if you have seen one of their kind, but he is of the Pakshevahm, the bird-people of the skies. Many of their kind fight alongside us, though in more distant parts along the border and perhaps in the deeps of the Demons’ heartland.

“Viren, relay a message to the King that we shall be late for dinner. We wish to spend time during nightfall with the Prince Tremang. Circle above us when you are given leave. We know not what to expect in our leisure with him. But give no suspicion to any other of our intent. We wish to understand one who may be an enemy.”

He smiled. “I shall do as bid. My trust is in you as yours is in me. Good night princes Varey and Yurva!”

He flew to the sky with a great gust, and his form vanished into the night.

“I suppose he overheard us,” I said.

“My apologies,” said Druzash; “he likes to keep watch from a distance.”

“No worries, I can understand as much,” I said.

“I think it’s time we caught up with the prince,” said Varey.

The three of us agreed and made toward the prince. I looked behind to take a glance, to see Viruka. She returned and held a smile of relief. I hoped I’d be able to mend our strife.


We reached into the streets and saw Tremang walking with his retinue among the throng. His guards stood rather apart from the rest, the dark of their armor contrasting greatly against the light of the clothes most others donned.

The crowds about made our approach hard, having become rather dense since my arrival. There were a great many drinks, food passed about in the air of greater merriment. Above, the fireworks blazed stronger than before. While I should’ve felt eased in the festivities, my heart was anxious of what I felt was to come.

We soon forced our way through the crowds to at last be near the prince. The three of us were ready to approach, but suddenly felt a force holding us back. A force that felt eerily similar. Sinister in nature. Though I had suggested it, I now wondered whether we made a mistake in our approach. But that line of thought was brought to a halt when Druzash effortlessly resisted the force that held us.

“Prince Tremang!” he called.

Tremang stopped. The retinue gave view to him, shifting to their sides. His left hand was raised. The soldiers halted and stood resolute.

“Ah! Prince Druzash,” he said with surprise. “And I see Varey, and one other among you. What brings you to me?”

“We were wondering if we might accompany you through the night,” said Druzash, approaching closer.

The face of the prince Tremang intimidated me.

“What’s wrong?” whispered Varey.

“I don’t know,” I said. “I can’t help but feel greater unease about him. I feel now following him should bode us ill.”

“Well, even if it does, we don’t have a choice now,” he said. “We can’t afford to call quits on our accompaniment. Bringing shame on either us or him would be the least of our troubles.”

I couldn’t help but agree. But now reflecting on it, it would’ve been wiser to have desisted in our approach and retired to our quarters. The events to follow would bring greater shame on our minds.

“Indeed, indeed!” cried Tremang with a smile brimming with joy. “Guards, leave us! We shall make to the dinner late. Give this message to the King and any other official who may come asking.”

They bowed, saying not a word, and left us.

“Now that we are free,” he said, “will you accompany me to a place that I feel would be suited to all our tastes.”

His words made the hairs on my person erect.

Thanks for reading! If you can please favorite, comment, and rate/review my story. It would greatly help me!

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/616280/he-who-conquered-death/

I'll be shifting my release schedule to Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

0