Chapter 55 – Menace from Pleasure
38 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From his form emerged trails of darkness. His teeth became sharp and saliva dripped from them. He rose to encompass my view. Now I understood all the misgivings I had for even suggesting to follow him. He was one of them: a demon of the north.

Time around us seemed to halt. I could no more hear the surroundings, all becoming silent in wake of the terror before me. The demons hadn’t left. They arrived and were in hiding. For what did they come here to seek? Was it me? It couldn’t have been for their chance was lost once before. Tremang had also arrived before me. Was it destruction? Perhaps, but why wait until now? The festivities were slowly coming to a close for the day. The city should’ve already been in flames.

Then why had they come?

His form drew far as the space became warped. I was pulled into his illusion. My friends rendered helpless before his might. We were now in dire straits. All exits barred, and any chance of escape foregone with our foolishness.

I alone stood against the ranger of the night. “What now will you do to us?”

His menace grew great. From the shadows arose the self-same women. They in great number swamped me with their fingers, seeking to pull me into the darkness. From my body, I unleashed the elements. They cried and wailed from the onslaught, but no matter what I did, they returned in greater might.

Tremang rose above the hellscape and uttered:

Ah! How long it has been since I could awaken to form. My stomach yearns for the meat of the Marhan. Fill my belly, Prince of Death! Why wait for the Agent of Justice to spirit you away? I shall here now tear you limb from limb, drink the blood that flows in you, and suck the marrow dry until all that is left is dust! Let your soul shatter in distress, as the onslaught of might overpowers your mind and body. Let the aether of the Demons from which the world is wrought reign high; supreme, above all, where not even the light can give protection!

He rushed to me, his mouth growing to grotesque size. His tusked teeth aimed toward my neck. Yet I wasn’t scared. I had faced deadlier ones of his ilk. I braced for the strike with my blade, and from its center issued the deadly light of the elements. His teeth struck the stone and steel. Lo! his darkness was forced away by the light of my blade!

He crashed to the wall. His spell was broken, and our forms returned as they once were. The women and men were startled seeing four children in their vicinity.

Tremang rose and dusted himself. He was now human. But his face held great displeasure. He snapped his fingers and from the shadows appeared his soldiers. They grabbed onto the heads of the aristocrats and prostitutes. And with ease, they crushed their skulls and let fall the mass of their scattered brain and bone.

The blood and flesh spilled to the sheets. What was left of their bodies was sunk into the shadows. Tremang issued water from his hands and used it to suck the stains from the sheets. The blood that flowed turned to the harbinger of darkness. He absorbed it through his feet and he felt invigorated, letting a deep exhale as if in deep relief. He opened his mouth wide and let the remains enter his mouth, letting two trails of blood seep at the ends of his lip.

The area was left clean, but the foul odor of blood lingered.

“Ah!” said Tremang, wiping his mouth. “I suppose our business for now is finished. Think not this is over, Yurva, for I dearly wish to taste you! Whether by the means of Fate, Destruction, or Death, I leave to those detestable Gods to decide. But know you are mine to devour. Rest well for now, my prince! Your days are numbered.”

He and his soldiers vanished into the darkness, and I was left speechless.

I went to Varey and Druzash and shook them awake.

“What happened?” they said, rubbing their heads.

“We have to make haste!” I said. I grabbed the two of them and jumped through the window and flew to the rooftops.

“Wait, wait, Yurva!” they cried.

But I wouldn’t stop. We had to make fast out of here before our presence was caught by the patrols. I continued flying from rooftop to rooftop, evading the gazes of the soldiers.

Soon, we came to the edge of the district and I leaped to the ground outside the gates. I turned to see the entrance hidden to our view. It would seem we discovered the secret to the location of such places.

Varey and Druzash left my grasp. Druzash said, “Explain, Yurva! What happened? Where is Tremang.”

“First, tell me what you remember,” I said.

“Well, I remember us having entered a way into a rather odd district. I cannot recall where it was. But there were a number of people seeming to attract us with their forms and gazes. Then I remember seeing some aristocrats, and my vision ended.”

“That is what I remember as well,” said Varey.

I let out a sigh of relief. It was very likely that they hadn’t experienced the things I had. Perhaps Tremang’s coaxing brought them to sleep in the individuals.

“Then that’s good,” I said. “It’s best you don’t know the things that took place in the location Tremang took us.”

“What for?” asked Varey. “Don’t seek to hide his doings. Be honest! Tell us what happened where our vision ended.”

“No!” I cried. “They are not things that the children of royalty should see, let alone hear. A situation more detestable than what even the demons could wrought! Know that so long as I live, that the events that have transpired in the domain of the wretches will be held in secret by me. To be touched by none except those able of sound mind to understand.”

“Have it your way!” said Druzash. “But you must at least tell us what happened to Tremang.”

“Well you shall see tomorrow,” I said. “There’s chance that he’ll reveal his true nature to us in the matches.”

“Why’re you being cryptic now?” said Varey. “We didn’t trust who he is, but shouldn’t you lay at least some trust in us?”

“It’s not trust that I lack,” I said. “It’s the wandering eyes and ears of passersby that I fear. Come! Let us make to the banquet. We may be late, but at least let’s satiate ourselves at the table. I’m sure at least your sister is worried for us, Varey.”

“I’m sure she is,” said Varey, “but why must you seek to hide things? Will you promise to tell us later.”

“Should the matter be in years, then perhaps.”

They relented, and we walked away from the pleasure district back to the main road. We ascended the terraces, passing the lingering trace of festivities. Along the path, I mulled over what next should be my course of action. For I knew Tremang would appear in the tourney, and perhaps seek to either fell or eclipse us to become champion. Yet I still couldn’t understand his angle.

We reached the entrance to the palace, and the guards outside recognized us.

“Princes!” they called. “Make quickly to the chamber of feasts, introductions are being passed among gathered royalty.”

Varey and Druzash were ushered while I was left blocked.

“What be the meaning of this?”

“We offer our apologies, prince Yurva,” a guard said. “But you must wait here to meet with one who has called you.”

“And who has called me?” I said.

The soldiers immediately turned resolute their salutes facing above me. I turned.

“I have,” said the sage Yurvaonri.

My master returned.

Thanks for reading! If you can please favorite, comment, and rate/review my story. It would greatly help me!

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/616280/he-who-conquered-death/

0