Chapter 3
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before entering Tauca the taxi stopped and said, “I can't go any further due to Corinth law. Tauca is within three hundred feet.”

  Mikhaya and the rest got out and the taxi hovered back in the same direction.

  “My home,” Lauryn said as they walked.

  “Do you think they'll be accepting of me?” Mikhaya asked.

  “A former empire puppet?” Lauryn said. “Not likely. But I've already sent a message to the elders about you.”

  “Said good things right?” Mikhaya asked.

  Lauryn simply smiled.

  

  

  The ground shook as a massive Lv. 32 Froking leaped in their way. It towered over them, having a crown made from a tree trunk on its head. The size of it denoted that this was a boss battle.

  “Right before Tauca, seriously?” Mikhaya said.

  “It's welcoming us,” Lauryn said.

  

  Lv. 22 Mikhaya, Lv. 21 Lauryn, Lv. 19 Louie Vs. Lv. 32 Boss Froking

  

  65

  Froking used Tongue Lash against Mikhaya

  HP: 89/154

  Power: 60

  Team MP: 20

  Effect: The user uses its tongue as a whip on an opponent.

  

  “Ew,” Mikhaya said.

  “That's not the worse,” Lauryn said.

  “He gets more personal than that?” Mikhaya asked.

  “Way,” Lauryn said.

  “Aren't you the princess, therefore these Corinth creatures should obey you,” Mikhaya said.

  “Doesn't work like that,” Lauryn said.

  

  22

  Mikhaya used Rising Uppercut against Froking

  HP: 138/160

  Power: 40

  Team MP: 140

  Effect: The user hits their opponent with a rising uppercut.

  

  13

  Lauryn used signature move 1 Friendly Fire Arrow against Froking, and chooses to heal Mikhaya

  HP: 125/160

  Power: 40

  Team MP: 100

  Effect: An arrow made from Keltian light that hits one opponent and hits you or a teammate to heal 40% of max HP.

  

  10

  Louie used Jet Arm against Froking

  HP: 115/160

  Power: 40

  Team MP: 60

  Effect: The user rapidly stretches their arm to punch an opponent.

  

  118

  Froking used signature move 1 Tongue Sap Lick against Louie

  HP: 0/68

  Power: 60

  Team MP: 20

  Effect: The user licks an opponent roughly draining them of health and healing 20% of their own max HP.

  

  “Louie,” Mikhaya said.”

  

  22

  Mikhaya used Mach 1 Punch against Froking

  HP: 125/160

  Power: 40

  Team MP: 140

  Effect: The user lunges forward at super high speed and delivers a thunderous punch.

  

  13

  Lauryn used Arrow Beam against Froking

  HP: 112/160

  Power: 40

  Team MP: 100

  Effect: The user shoots an arrow made from light at an opponent.

  

  Before Froking could attack a sparkling arrow shot out from the trees and hit it, finishing the remaining HP.

  

  Battle Over! Gained 2000 gold. Your Team gained 15, 000 XP! Your team's full HP is restored.

  

  Louie materialized back onto the field.

  

  Mikhaya went to level 24!

  Lauryn went to level 23!

  Louie went to level 21!

  

  Louie learned Signature Move 2, Reprogrammed Fury: A fury of punches decreasing an opponent's strongest by 40% while increasing their weakest stat by 20%. If both stats are similar, the user gets to choose.

  

  

  Lauryn and Mikhaya looked into the trees and watched as a teenage boy jumped to the ground. He had a golden laurel around his head.

  “Cyrus,” Lauryn said.

  “Princess,” he said. “And you.”

  

  At Tauca’s border, men stood in formation looking uphill. A Resistance flag fluttered above them. Beside them were six Keltian robots called K-bots, their lego shapes resembling the human body, glowing.

  The blue K-bot pointed at Mikhaya.

  “That means stop,” one of the young men said. Like the others, he was dressed in baggy linen and a girdle, with a bronze laurel around his head.

  Lauryn walked ahead, and they bowed, along with the K-Bots. “Princess Lauryn,” they said in unison.

  “Princess,” a teenage boy said,  Cyrus' twin. He had a silver laurel. “Did you really have to bring him?”

  “Magnus, he's an important part of the rebellion,” she replied.

  “And the mechanic who single-handedly took down the Odyssey,” Mikhaya said, beaming. “Tell them, babe.  I mean, princess.”

  Lauryn looked back at him spitefully. “That was all me, babe.”

  A young man took her arm and escorted her along, with her saying, “Frisk him. He may be carrying illegal weapons.”

  “Well played,” Mikhaya said, smiling.

  

  The lush interior of Tauca astounded Mikhaya. There was no snow, no cold, but flowers and the feeling of summer. He had noticed Keltian pillars that felt warm when he passed them. And there were hundreds of these tall heaters around the capital. Engraved upon each of them were the words:

  

  The Resistance

  The bow and the arrow

  The sword

  The arm of man

  The spear

  One day the Empire will fall

  The colossal beast to a tiny hero

  

  Mikhaya walked with a guide, Jonto, an elder. K-Bots and full Keltians roamed around freely. It was their home, but they couldn't leave it, as they would be seen as freebies. Lauryn, half-Keltian like all players who chose that race, was protected under Alexandria law.

  Keltian children played with light cubes, tossing them to one another. But they had no expression, no apparent joy, nothing that gave evidence that they were having fun. Their hair changed color and patterns based on their emotions.

  “They’re happy if you want to know.” Johto pointed to more children who played with skipping ropes, and Mikhaya noticed one had been left out. “The others don't know she feels lonely because they don't see her. Though she is trying to communicate with them. She's asking permission to join them. That culture is what got them enslaved. They need permission to fight back, even to protest. Their whole culture is based on permission.”

  “That’s so wrong,” Mikhaya said.

  “These children are new, and going through the process of unlearning their passive nature,” Jonto said,

  The Keltian children stopped playing to watch Mikhaya, twisting their heads in curiosity.

  “We don't usually let outsiders in here,” Jonto said. “You're a spectacle to them, as they are to you.”

  The K-Bots that were doing gardening turned at his presence.

  “I get that a lot,” Mikhaya said.

  “With that jacket, I'm sure you would. They're afraid of you. Mechanics are not welcomed in Corinth. We made an exception for you. Many of them have seen what mechanics had done to their families, separated them.”

  “I'm the evil guy,” Mikhaya said.

  Mikhaya remembered when he forced Keltian citizens onto Eden cargo vessels. Not all mechanics worked on the front lines, but some worked as builders and engineers, and pilots if they had low potential. Because of his level seven potential, he worked as an enforcer of the law and he did things he now regretted. The Keltian people had the right to hate him.

  A K-Bot approached them, with his arm lifted.

  “Say hello to Ben. He is a child,” Jonto said. “Two in human years.”

  “Hello there, buddy,” Mikhaya said.

  “They all have different personalities.”

  Ben further raised his long arm and wrapped his fingers around Mikhaya’s hand. It was so warm, not in temperature but in feelings. For a blinking moment, he couldn’t imagine his life without Ben. There was an undeniable connection.

  Another K-Bot came forward, the one that had rudely greeted him earlier, Mikhaya remembered.

  “This is Michael, the oldest K-Bot one here,” Jonto said. “He’s very protective.”

  Mikhaya raised his arm for a handshake. Nothing.

  “He’s studying you, so you’ll have to earn his trust. Unlike Ben, he's dealt with mechanics, and seen how they are.”

  Michael touched Ben, who followed him obediently onto the grassy area.

  “Light traders ambushed near Corinth's border,” Mikhaya said.

  Anger flared on Jonto’s face. “No—That's why Michael is so angsty. They could sense these things. Light traders shouldn't be within 2000 feet of Corinth by law. This has been passed by the United Senate.”

  “They’re traders. They will break the law for profit.”

  “At least Lauryn is safe,” Jonto said. “This privilege that you have is a great one. Our privilege is to help you and Lauryn to get to Alexandria. I hope you enjoy your stay with us. Feel free to journey around Corinth.”

  “Thanks,” Mikhaya said as Jonto left him.

  He looked around, ignoring the stares, then checked for available sidequests.

  

  Sidequest (2)

  

  A Boy's First Battle : 0.2 Miles Away

  Beast of the Fields : 1.3 Miles Away

  

  He tapped on A Boy's First Battle: A young Keltian must learn to battle. Teach him the basics. 12, 000 XP, 2000 gold.

  

  He went back to Beast of the Fields: A beast has been burning the crops and eating the livestock. Slay it. 15, 000 XP, 2500 gold.

  

  Mikhaya accepted both quests. He had decided he'd keep himself busy while Lauryn handled diplomatic matters, and left Louie with her. Following the quest map, he arrived at the home of the boy, a small cottage in Tauca, and knocked on the door. It opened to show a Keltian woman with her son at her side.

  “I'm here to teach your son the basics of battle,” Mikhaya said.

  “It's you,” the woman said. “The mechanic.”

  “Kind of,” Mikhaya said, seeing how uneasy the woman appeared. “I'm part of the Resistance. Like a big part. A big slice if it was pizza. Is there pizza in Corinth? Because then you wouldn't understand that illustration. Maybe pie?”

  “You accepted the quest. I have no choice but to leave my son in your hands.”

  “Capable hands,” Mikhaya said.

  “Do you have a wrench?” the boy asked. “Can I see it?”

  Mikhaya's wrench materialized in his hands. “An authentic mechanic wrench.”

  The boy gasped. “Woah. I've never seen one before.”

  “Glorious isn't it?” Mikhaya said.

  “Please put that away,” the mother said. “It's a vile weapon here in Corinth and forbidden. You may be the princess's bodyguard, but you can't get away with everything.”

  Mikhaya chuckled at the mouthy NPC. “Sure.” The wrench disappeared back into his inventory.

  “Let's get going, kid,” Mikhaya said, adding him to his party on the menu.

  “Bye, mom,” he said, walking with Mikhaya.

  “Please do the training and bring him back immediately,” she said.

  “Will do, miss,” Mikhaya said, then to the boy. “What's your name?”

  “Sono,” he said.

  “Well, Sono, we're going to have a good time.”

  “I hope so.”

  “What do Keltians do for fun?”

  “We sing songs, dance, and tell stories.”

  “Exciting,” Mikhaya said sarcastically.

  “Does that not please you?” Mikhaya asked.

  Surprised the NPC boy had picked up the sarcasm in his tone, he said, “I've heard Keltian music. Slow. Weird. Not my thing. I shouldn't judge. It's your culture.”

  They had reached the busy marketplace of Tauca, noisy from business conversations.

  “So we need to get to the outskirts of the city,” Mikhaya said.

  Sono pointed to the K-Hover Bikes at the front of a rental service. “But you don't know how to drive one.”

  “I'm a natural,” Mikhaya said.

  He went to the Keltian rental operator. “Can I get a bike, two seats?”

  “That will be 500 gold for fifty minutes,” the man said.

  “Should be enough time for training,” Mikhaya said.

  “How are you doing, Sono?” the man asked.

  “I'm fine. I'm getting my first lesson in battle.”

  “From an Empire lackey,” he said, laughing.

  “Former,” Mihaya said.

  The man unlocked a K-Hover Bike. “Here you go. It will turn off at fifty minutes. They can be tracked.”

  “Thanks for letting me know,” Mikhaya said with a fiendish smile. The panic on the man's face satisfied him. “Hop in, kid.”

  Sono joined him in the vehicle.

  “You do know how to drive the K—”. Before the man could finish his sentence Mikhaya sped through the marketplace, blowing him back so that he fell. Mikhaya weaved around the buyers and sellers, having expert control of the vehicle because of his passive ability.

  “This is fun. You're so good!” Sono said.

  “Told you,” Mikhaya said.

  

  He stopped outside Tauca, stepping on Lileeth's territory. The colorful farmlands were visible as if never-ending. Mikhaya surveyed the horizon for suitable enemies, then drove into a nearby battle arena and stopped there.

  “First lesson, battle arenas,” Mikhaya said. “These are spots where encounters are likely to happen. They can be seen on the map. It's possible to go around battle arenas to avoid enemies, but not always practical if you're in a hurry to get to your destination.”

  “I'd never avoid a battle,” Sono said.”

  “Say that when you're doing a boss battle.” Mikhaya wondered how he was so different than the Keltians he remembered. Sono wasn't passive. He had heard about how Keltian children were getting battle training to stand up for themselves. Even the adults in Corinth were unlike those he had encountered in space. They had developed their own unique personalities. Sono's attitude showed that in time the Empire would not be able to control the Keltians anymore.

  “Can we fight a boss today?” Sono asked.

  “You're not ready, kid,” Mikhaya said. “But soon, you will be.”

  Something rustled in the bushes, and flew out, activating the battlefield aura.

  

  

  Lv. 23 Mikhaya, Lv. 1 Sono Vs. Lv. 1 Vegeduck

  

  “It's level one, perfect,” Mikhaya said, facing the duck made from vegetables.

  “Why can't I do anything?” Sono asked.

  “Battles are turn-based, so you can't move until it's your turn. Since the fastest here I get to go first.”

  “Understood,” Sono said.

  “I'm going to skip my turn because I will one-shot this thing to oblivion.”

  

  Mikhaya skipped his turn

  HP: 4/4

  Power: 0

   Team MP: 120

  Effect:

  

  “It's your turn now,” Mikhaya said. “Now to do a move. Think about it.”

  “I'm thinking. And I see a list of moves.”

  “That's the system showing you the list of moves available to you. It's a database of common moves available to the different classes. You can access many arrow moves, but I don't since I don't have that weapon. There should be brawler moves in there too, punches and kicks.”

  “I see them,” Sono said.

  “But you can only use signatures in your class,” Mikhaya said.

  “When do I get a signature?” Sono asked.

  “It will come when you find your style,” Mikhaya said. “Most players learn a signature before they reach level 10.”

  “What's potential? I've heard some people mention that word.”

  “I'm potential seven.”

  “What about me?”

  “You're at two,” Mikhaya said. “Really good. You're in the top 20% of players.”

  “Awesome,” Sono said.

  “But basically potential times your base stat by either 4, 5, 6, 7. For example, since I'm a mechanic, the highest base stat is my HP. For Keltian males, they have high attack, while Keltian females have high speed, like Lauryn. My base HP is 1, so times my potential, that's 7. So my HP stat at my level would be 7 x 22 which equals 154. Because of my potential, even though speed is my worst stat at 0.7 base, I'm still as fast as Lauryn.”

  “Princess Lauryn. Do you like her?”

  “Like her, as in as a person?”

  “Romantically,” Sono said. “There are rumors that you two are more than friends.”

  “Yeah, I like her,” Mikhaya said, laughing. “Back to the lesson.”

  “And MP, what's that?” Sono asked.

  “Team MP is how many points a team has to use for a round. It's dependent on the strongest person on the team. Since I'm above level twenty the MP becomes forty per person, so we're at eighty. Now you can use moves at power forty, instead of level ten because of me. The MP and power increase every ten levels. It's your turn. Make a move.”

  “I'm not sure which one to choose,” Sono said.

  “Doesn't matter,” Mikhaya said. “They will all be at power forty. Until you learn your signature, which has added effects and can only be used once every two turns. Try varying your non-signature moves during a match so you get an experience boost at the end of the match.”

  

  

  5

  Sono used Arrow Surge against Lv. 1 Vegeduck

  HP: 0/4 

  Power: 40

  Team MP: 80

   Effect: The user shoots an arrow charged with Keltian light at an opponent.

  

  

  “It's a one-shot,” Mikhaya said. “Good job.”

  “Wow. That was thrilling.”

  

  Quest Completed. Gained 2000 gold. Gained 12, 000 XP!

  

  Mikhaya went to level 25!

  Sono went to level 2!

  

   ”Let's get you back to your mom before she calls the Corinthian Guards on me,” Mikhaya said.

0