2 – bargain
146 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A flash of lightning from outside. Silence, broken by the roar of thunder.

After that, the old man looked continued talking. "A bit more time. If I could spend even just another day with her... I'm sure you've thought of that, haven't you?"

Alex blinked. And then he let out a bitter laugh. "Of course I have." He ran his hand through his dark brown hair and then glanced back at Mei.

Ever since that day when he came home and found her, he kept praying that it was just a dream. That he would wake up and find out it was just a nightmare. That he could hug her and spoil her to make up for his neglect. That he could fix the mistakes he wasn't aware of and apologize.

But he couldn't. This wasn't a game, a story, or a dream he was in. This was reality. The cold, stark reality that was wrought by his own actions. No one else.

Alex closed his eyes and said, "I would give anything to undo this if I could."

She deserved better. Mei deserved happiness, fun, and a bright future. Not this sad, painful ending. But-

"Anything, huh? That can be arranged."

Alex opened his eyes and turned back to look at the old man.

A serious expression. Not joking or patronizing.

Alex slowly turned his whole body to face the old man and said, "What do you mean?"

The old man reached into his suit and pulled out a silver pocket watch.

It was old. The silver was tarnished and the etchings on the cover were rubbed off. Something that had seen constant use throughout the ages.

The old man flipped it open, staring at the face of the clock in silence. After that, he nodded and said, "Your life for a year's worth of time to save her."

Alex paused, parsing the old man's words. When he did, he glared and said, "Are you senile? No, you must be to make a joke like that. I thought you were respectable, but-!"

The old man snapped the pocket watch shut and said, "I'm not joking." He lowered the pocket watch, staring at Alex with a level gaze. "I'm making an offer. Now, if what you said was true. If you'll really give anything to have a bit more time with her, listen closely."

It was ridiculous. The old man must have wandered in by chance. Maybe someone left the doors unlocked. Talking about saving someone who was already dead... What a joke.

Alex knew that. The old man was just senile.

But...

If there was even the slightest chance that he was telling the truth...

"Listening now, huh?" The old man cracked a smile.

Alex glared at him.

The old man's smile widened. But then he turned serious and said, "It's impossible to bring back the dead. However, it isn't impossible to stop someone's death."

"...Grandpa. Shall I escort you outside?"

Alex didn't have the time or patience for this. If the old man was going to just talk in riddles-

"Fine, fine. Then I'll cut to the chase." The old man's gaze turned sharp and he said, "Give up the rest of your lifespan to buy time for you to fix your mistakes and save your sister."

Alex froze. That...

The old man walked over to Alex. His walking stick echoed as it struck the tiled floors, sounding almost like tolling bells. "You said it. You would give *anything.* Are you a liar? Or is the regret and guilt you're showing all fake?"

Alex snapped and said, "You don't know a damn thing about me!"

The old man stared into Alex's eyes and said, "I know you were the one who found her. I know you did the bare minimum and ignored her suffering. I know that you were the one person she relied on the most. And I know that you weren't there for her in the darkest time of her life."

Alex flinched and stepped back.

The old man was shorter than him. Frailer too. So why did he suddenly seem like he loomed over Alex...?

"Hmph." The old man shook his head and said, "I'll ask you again. Will you give up your life to try and save her? Or not?"

"...How would that even happen?"

Even if the old man was telling the truth. Even if he wasn't just trying to shock Alex into accepting some moral truth or position... It was impossible.

The old man clicked his tongue and said, "Annoying kids. Always asking so many questions... Was I like that when I was younger?" He let out an exasperated sigh and said, "Look. I don't have much time before I have to leave, and you don't have much time left before you can't ever see your sister again. So just answer me. Yes, or no?"

Alex opened his mouth to say no. After all, it was ridiculous. Going back in time? Only a crazy person would believe that. A year was a long time, but Alex would die. How could he save Mei like that?

Too many unknowns. Too many things to question. Too many shady parts that made Alex want to reject out of hand.

But.

The old man's insistence. The clear and unwavering gaze. The natural way he talked about it, as if it was inevitable instead of just a possibility.

Ridiculous. It was ridiculous. Impossible.

But. If there was even the tiniest chance that it *was* possible. That Alex could see Mei again. Could save her- No, stop her.

Even if he had to give up his life, when exchanging it for hers...

"Well?" The old man tapped his stick against the ground. Impatient.

Alex stared at him.

The old man stared back.

"...Yes."

Alex had nothing to lose.

"Good. Then..."

A sudden pain in Alex's chest. At the same time, his knees gave out, sending him crashing against the floor.

He couldn't move.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The sound of the old man's stick hitting the floor, sounding almost like the ticking of a clock.

Alex's vision started to blur. He panicked, trying and failing to take a breath. As he did, he managed to move his head, getting a glimpse of the old man.

The old man looked down at Alex, his face cold. "The bargain is struck. Alex Li's death for one year's time to try and subvert fate." The old man raised his stick, aiming it at Alex's left eye. "Repent for your sins in the next life."

"W-Wait...!"

Alex tried to move out of the way. But before he could, the stick blurred.

A sharp pain in his left eye. The sound of something shattering and blood splashing onto the floor. And then-

5